Menu

Where can I go for some homeschool inspiration...die-hard stick to it....(CC)

YOUR inspiration should have nothing to do with anyone else. Homeschooling is a personal decision that comes from a place inside you.

I could care less what other people are doing when it comes to education with their kids. That does not affect my own, personal motivation to continue on, to do what is right for my family and my kids.

Are you hs'ing for you, or for other people? You need to go back to square one and redefine your reasons for doing it to begin with.

you are completely correct and spot on. Pity Party is now officially over. (I am a quick rebounder....)

Excellent reminder....

~~f

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the posts. No time despite the fact that I am one of the terrible rotten no good very bad (:tongue_smilie:) people who has put her LO into Montessori. I understand the OP's despair and frustration and feel terrible that I may have contributed to it.

So why do I stay on the board? Because I hope that one day I will be able to homeschool DD. DH opposes it for the time being, and I am respecting his position as head of household and because he does have a point regarding our specific child and her needs right now. I stay here to keep on top of what's happening in the homeschool world because I have no connection to it outside my SIL who is 2000 miles away (and too busy to chat much with 5 little ones of her own!). I hope to "afterschool" DD as well, and listening to y'all talk gives me continued inspiration.

I'm so sorry I may have added to your frustration. Forgive me?

PS - Despite the fact that I now supposedly have 3 whole hours to myself everyday, I seem to have less time than ever before. More demands because of school, dance lessons, and DH thinking I'm just sitting around eating bonbons have made my life even more hectic than it was when she wasn't in school. Taking her to outside school has done anything but make my life easier. Arrgh! Just saying it ain't all roses and bonbons on the other side. ;)

I have always been a "one year at a time" homeschooler. This is our 6th year, and after the summer we've had, I really didn't want to get started again. But I did, and we are finishing our 3rd week. It's going really well even though it was a hard start.

One of my dearest hs friends sent her oldest to a private school back in January, and I was so offended by her choice. Doesn't that sound dumb? LOL. I had to really stop and tell myself that it was none of my business, and she had to do what she thinks is best for her son. It turns out that school is wonderful and just what their family needed.

I was so inspired this past weekend when I met MamaT and her children. She is a committed homeschooler who has graduated two, and she has 4 more at home. Her kids are truly wonderful! They are so kind, fun, and respectful. I knew when I left there that I am a forever homeschooler. Unless I hear God loud and clear, this is exactly what we are going to do!

:) I, too, am surrounded by people throwing in the towel. In fact, I started a thread a few weeks back asking it if was a trend or just a fluke occurring in my circle of friends.

Die hard here. Though we have days - today is one - where I'd like nothing more than to throw my towel in with the rest of 'em and meet my now women-of-leisure friends at the corner Starbucks.

What DO I HAVE to DO to GET my 10 YEAR old to GET HIS BUTT IN THE CHAIR AND FINISH HIS MATH?

Alas, when the hair-pulling starts I step back and review the reasons I signed up for this in the first place. I know this day will pass and we'll move on to his next lesson. Eventually. And we'll have a better day tomorrow.

Hanging in. Some days it's just barely hangin' on. :)

Sorry you're feeling stressed. There are still plenty of long-haul homeschoolers here.

One thing that helps keep me inspired is not comparing myself and my choices to those of others. I choose not to feel threatened or discouraged by families who make different schooling choices for their children. I choose to give most people the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge that they are doing what is best for their children. And, I choose to be secure in the knowledge that I am doing what is best for my child.

It's not a competition. That inspires me every day.

Here is a cut and paste of a post made by Tracy in KY about discipling teens. It's not exactly about staying with homeschooling no matter what, but it may inspire you just the same.

Thanks for posting this Kathleen. This is exactly the post I thought of when I read the OP from this thread. I go back and reread Tracy's post every time I get discouraged and every time I have a day when I can't remember why I am homeschooling.

To the OP, we have had many IRL friends return to school this year. It IS discouraging, and it is hard to listen to those friends try to influence your children. But in the end, I remind myself that those are their children and I have to do what is best for my children. And so on I march on my homeschool path.

:grouphug:

:) I, too, am surrounded by people throwing in the towel. In fact, I started a thread a few weeks back asking it if was a trend or just a fluke occurring in my circle of friends.

I wonder if homeschooling as a movement has aged to a point where there are large numbers of us who have been at it long enough to burn out at the same time. Or get scared of high school. Or hit middle age and think, "Maybe I want to go back to school (or get a job, volunteer, just do something different) for a while before I feel too old to try something new.

Barb

I haven't read all the posts. No time despite the fact that I am one of the terrible rotten no good very bad (:tongue_smilie:) people who has put her LO into Montessori. I understand the OP's despair and frustration and feel terrible that I may have contributed to it.

So why do I stay on the board? Because I hope that one day I will be able to homeschool DD. DH opposes it for the time being, and I am respecting his position as head of household and because he does have a point regarding our specific child and her needs right now. I stay here to keep on top of what's happening in the homeschool world because I have no connection to it outside my SIL who is 2000 miles away (and too busy to chat much with 5 little ones of her own!). I hope to "afterschool" DD as well, and listening to y'all talk gives me continued inspiration.

I'm so sorry I may have added to your frustration. Forgive me?

PS - Despite the fact that I now supposedly have 3 whole hours to myself everyday, I seem to have less time than ever before. More demands because of school, dance lessons, and DH thinking I'm just sitting around eating bonbons have made my life even more hectic than it was when she wasn't in school. Taking her to outside school has done anything but make my life easier. Arrgh! Just saying it ain't all roses and bonbons on the other side. ;)

:grouphug::grouphug:

I did not mean to add to anyone's stress.....maybe my hormones have got the better of me. I am the least judgemental person on the planet...and I am supportive of everyone's personal decisions......I was having an "Oh poor me...pity party....I know we all make decisions concerning our own families for our own reasons...I just really need some good old fashioned bolstering up. It seems like my get up and go has got up and went...

I need a nap...sigh.....:grouphug::grouphug:

~~f

Oh my goodness...you are NOT alone! I, as many other's have stated, did not want to keep hsing this year. The main problem was my middle child, his special needs (lack of better term), and REALLY figuaring out what works for him (still working on it).

Any way, there have been many, many, many times that I've thought of throwing in the towel, esp. with him. What keeps me going? The alternative: the local PS. There he would be in Sped and forced to do the work or lose recess, or have to sit in the resource room. I would literally have to force him into the building. I know because we went through it in preschool and Kindy with him. In preschool I had to physically carry his dead-weight body into the classroom many, many times. In everyother day Kindy, his teen-aged step-brother had to physically carry him onto the bus. I had to get him dressed because he would NOT do it himself. Not worth it.

So anyway, we plug on. I'm very relaxed with him, *almost* unschooling, really. I keep telling myself he will not always be 7 yrs old. He WILL mature. It will get better.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

We are in week 2 of the school year. I am newer to the board as was surprised at the number of school posts...but I don't use these boards as my inspiration spot. I have a few blogs that I follow of women who are the same faith and use some of the same methods that I do. I try and give myself 15 minutes or so in the morning to check them out. I saw quite a few blogs where women who weren't able to go to hs conferences gave themself their own personal conference. Hubby watched the children while they went off with their laptop (I don't have a laptop or this would be an idea for me), Bible, and planning supplies and spent a couple of days in quite, prayerful contemplation while they planned out their year. They went to Starbucks and other type places with free WiFi where you can linger with small food purchases. Also with the commitment to give themselves that "teacher in-service day" on a regular basis. I did order some hs conference DVD's that I watched...but I was still tending the children so it wasn't quite the same feeling. I planned out the first 6 weeks or so and just congratulated myself on starting when I was supposed to (I really didn't want to start) and staying on course with hsing. Remembering why I'm doing it.....and that it is a big commitment that not all will stick with. I hope you find some more hs families quick....the support I get from the hs groups I belong to really help keep me on my journey.

y

We are in week 2 of the school year. I am newer to the board as was surprised at the number of school posts...but I don't use these boards as my inspiration spot. I have a few blogs that I follow of women who are the same faith and use some of the same methods that I do. I try and give myself 15 minutes or so in the morning to check them out. I saw quite a few blogs where women who weren't able to go to hs conferences gave themself their own personal conference. Hubby watched the children while they went off with their laptop (I don't have a laptop or this would be an idea for me), Bible, and planning supplies and spent a couple of days in quite, prayerful contemplation while they planned out their year. They went to Starbucks and other type places with free WiFi where you can linger with small food purchases. Also with the commitment to give themselves that "teacher in-service day" on a regular basis. I did order some hs conference DVD's that I watched...but I was still tending the children so it wasn't quite the same feeling. I planned out the first 6 weeks or so and just congratulated myself on starting when I was supposed to (I really didn't want to start) and staying on course with hsing. Remembering why I'm doing it.....and that it is a big commitment that not all will stick with. I hope you find some more hs families quick....the support I get from the hs groups I belong to really help keep me on my journey.

would you be kind enough to share the blog addresses??

I love the Teacher Training days and I scheduled them for myself last year. I went to B&N and skimmed the book racks making notes for the library...and always bought myself a good new read...LOL. I did this quarterly.

Could you please share the titles of your conference dvd's as well? I would love to watch some good homeschool encouragement.

Thanks,

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

REALLY??? I do remember some stresses (bad influences, peer pressures and ridiculous teacher expectations...) but how do you make homeschool stress free?????

~~f

LOL.

I think that for me, the school part of homeschooling is stress free--it's just these pesky personalities that keep frustrating me! ;)

In all seriousness, I don't stress about the academic aspect of it at all--what's hard for me is the fact that I have the 3 kids, each 20 months apart from the next, and a toddler. While I combine the younger two, the elder one is fairly advanced, and would be bored stiff sitting with them. So I have a 4th grader who needs advice and supervision, I have a 2nd grader and a 1st grader who need help and near constant supervision, and I have a willful, youngest-child-syndrome 2-year old. My dds in 7th grade are very good about staying on task and helping in other ways, but they can't (and, naturally, shouldn't!) take my place as the teacher or the baby-wrangler, though they are excellent assistants.

But even in the face of all that, even when my already-mouthy 4th grader gets mouthier still, I am still certain of my decision to homeschool the dc. I really feel certain that this is the best option for them as students and for us as a family. I don't see our putting them in ps, short of a crisis. Take heart--patient endurance attaineth to all things. :grouphug:

I'm still here! Never Say Die, that's my motto.

I don't want to homeschool this year, either. I didn't want to last year, and I probably won't want to this year. (Actually, I'm happy to hs the little guys but not the big ones.)

Mrs Mungo mentioned breastfeeding, and that is the perfect analogy for me. I breastfed even though it wasn't my favorite thing to do and I grew sick of it long before the babies quit needing it...but I kept on. I kept on because I could see the benefit right before my eyes. I kept on because the research and even nature itself validated it to be the best choice for my children. I kept on because when I looked back on my past success I felt proud of myself for all my work.

Homeschooling is exactly the same.

I try to homeschool my boys with a smile and a good, loving attitude because that is how mothers are supposed to be (whether they are giving baths, driving kids around, or teaching algebra)...remembering that there were plenty of grin-and-bear-it moments in breastfeeding, too.

I loved nursing newborns but not toddlers.

I love homeschooling K-6 but not jr. high and high school.

All that to say that I'm here, I'll still be here for another 12 years, and I support this hard thing you are doing. It is a lie of the times that we should only do what we love every minute of every day. The word "duty" is still part of the lexicon! Sometimes we do things because they are right. We do our work well and we do it with love because we are people of character.

At least, that should be the goal. :)

I just found Faithe's thread and am reading my way through it, but I have to stop and say, "Wow!" Just wow. Very inspiring. Thank you.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I did not mean to add to anyone's stress.....maybe my hormones have got the better of me. I am the least judgemental person on the planet...and I am supportive of everyone's personal decisions......I was having an "Oh poor me...pity party....I know we all make decisions concerning our own families for our own reasons...I just really need some good old fashioned bolstering up. It seems like my get up and go has got up and went...

I need a nap...sigh.....:grouphug::grouphug:

~~f

Here are a few hugs - :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You are doing the right thing for your family and I admire and respect you and all the other homeschooling moms here. Hang in there!!

Another die hard here :o). Wasn't sure I would survive my oldest......but she's in college now and doing fine. Trying to keep my 11th grader on track with her classes....some in house, some out. Youngest is my stressful one at the moment. SPD and ornery to the hilt 14yo. Makes me want to pull my hair out daily. I totally get your headspace right now. We have started doing science this week. On top of piano, of course, which doesn't end. And boyscouts which goes through the summer. I swear I don't know how I'm going to get this kid through everything this year. I routinely go through bouts of despair. But I know school would NOT be the answer for him. Not sure exactly what you need to hear right now, but know there are those of us out here rooting for you :o). Plan a few baby steps, then do them one at a time. I tend to do the "ready or not, here we go" method, and hope the unfinished planning works itself out LOL.

All the best

Kayleen

homeschooling?? If I read one more post on here about how you sent your kids off to the public/private/sudbury/montessori/ boarding fill-in-the- blank school...I am going to SCREAM!!!!

This year all of my homeschooling friends have burnt out...quit...threw in the towel and have signed their darlings up for institutional school . So, I continue on the journey myself...with my kids wondering why they are still here and their friends are off getting mohawks and facial piercings and cute little plaid uniforms....

I am so uninspired! I have needed to get my school plans together ALL.SUMMER.LONG...I keep logging in here and all I see is more and more parents hanging up their hat and putting their kids on the big yellow bus...and they are oh so happy about it....and then everyone cheers and says what a great decision they made...and here I sit...getting depressed and fidgety and sick to my stomache because I have to plan a new year...I have to battle my kids, I have to lead them to their next step....

Where is the cheering for us...who continue to do what we set out to do and don't give in when the going gets rough????

Where is the support and the help when you just can not handle it one more minute...BUT...you know you won't give up because it is what God called you to do...and it He calls He equips??

I need to know where the inspiration to continue is. I need to be bolstered up right now.

I still have to plan grades 1,3,7 & 11. I have books...but no inspiration....I have materials, but no organization.....I have art supplies , but no planned projects.

This board is beginning to really make me more stressed....no reason to keep homeschooling...just put them in school and that will solve all my issues...I won't be as tired, I won't be as stressed, I will be able to deal with chronic pain. If there is really no advantage to homeschooling...then why bother? Why even go there?? I am just not enjoying the turn that I see we have taken here and in my IRL group of friends.

I need a place to read and get re-inspired to do a fantastic job. I need a place where there are like minded Christian women who bolster eachother up and do not encourage eachother to give up what they have been CALLED to do.

Anyone know any such place online? Maybe some downloadable mp3's?

I would like a message board that is totally commited to homeschooling...does one exist?

Anyone else in the same boat?

oy

~~f

We're still here. I can't say that we will never put out kids into a school. Because I don't know what God will bring in the future. I can see, for example, that if we were to have a season when dh was deployed to a war zone that I would go live near his parents and if the boys were high school age, I'd try very hard to get them accepted to the private Catholic school he attended.

Ironically, it is the high opinion of that school that makes me keep homeschooling. I know that nothing around us comes near to that and that I can do better than the options we have.

I have been working to plan more this year than I have in the past. But I'm not as far along as I wanted to be. That isn't going to send me to the local school. I have enough for the first semester for 2/3 of the kids and a general idea for the other. If I have to solidify the schedule on a weekly basis, ok.

The books by Karen Andreola are very nice and inspirational (Pocketful of Pinecones is the first). I love to read the Handbook of Nature Study and Harmony Art Mom blogs (by a member of the WTM board) because they are so encouraging of what is possible. Ruth Beechick's books have been helpful. I enjoyed Digital Barbarism, not as a homeschooling how to, but as a life worth living book that encouraged me that our educational trials and endeavors were worthy. I like Who Killed Homer for the same reason.

I've enjoyed listening to several of SWB's podcasts this summer. You might check out the You Tube videos that she did. For classical education in general (but not homeschooling in particular), there are several free lectures at Wordmp3.com that I found useful.

I've found very few boards that are for purists on any topic. The Sonlight boards, open only to those who pay or have purchased cores, still have tons of people discussing how they change up, modify, drop and add to the curriculum. Here there are committed homeschoolers who aren't classical, classicists who go in and out of homeschooling and people who just value the mentally challenging discussions and vacuum recommendations. And when someone's situation means that a school is the best choice for their family, when they may even feel called to make that decision for their kids, there isn't a moderator who says, ok, you're out of here.

I wonder if homeschooling as a movement has aged to a point where there are large numbers of us who have been at it long enough to burn out at the same time. Or get scared of high school. Or hit middle age and think, "Maybe I want to go back to school (or get a job, volunteer, just do something different) for a while before I feel too old to try something new.

Excellent point, Barb.

I am brand new to hs'n and I can see stressful days ahead of us, but I figure nothing will be as stressful as what I had to deal with when dd was in public school for kinder and 1st grade. For us ps was a living hell. I'd rather spend 4 hours a day hs'n than 1 hour a day of ps homework any day!!! It was horrible!!!!! I love that she will not be exposed to the ps atmosphere, teacher favoritsm, PTA meetings, being pulled for "special ed", bullies on the playground, lack of supervision on the playground, waiting in lines, being shuffled from room to room, etc. etc. etc.

It is extremely discouraging seeing friends ship their kids off to ps (I can see my friends pulling away from me because I've chosen HS for my family) after putting in the time and effort of hs'n. But, hs'n is the best thing for our family and I know this with all of my heart and will not be influenced by other peoples' circumstances.

Barb

Sometimes I think that certain threads stick out to us because we are momentarily sensitive to that topic. So if you're feeling stressed by the number of friends who are putting their kids into school, you'll probably also notice the threads about that. And feel a bit pricked by them.

But you might not notice the threads about being new to homeschooling as keenly. There was an short piece in our paper yesterday that Texas has had a sizable surge in homeschooling. But of course, those are people that we haven't met yet, IRL or on the board. So their change in schooling doesn't strike a chord.

DH sometimes says that you have to see the difference between a public outcry and an outcry in public.

I'm still hanging in there as well. :seeya: We've got one week left of last year's math and history but we've already begun this year's work in our other subjects. We're charging into our eighth year of HSing and I think I am finally looking forward to it. Last year I was really burnt out.

Good luck in the new year to all of you that are still HSing! :grouphug:

Sometimes I think that certain threads stick out to us because we are momentarily sensitive to that topic. So if you're feeling stressed by the number of friends who are putting their kids into school, you'll probably also notice the threads about that. And feel a bit pricked by them.

But you might not notice the threads about being new to homeschooling as keenly. There was an short piece in our paper yesterday that Texas has had a sizable surge in homeschooling. But of course, those are people that we haven't met yet, IRL or on the board. So their change in schooling doesn't strike a chord.

DH sometimes says that you have to see the difference between a public outcry and an outcry in public.

True but it's also true that there are less people homeschooling teens than younger kids. And there are less people homeschooling a large family like Faithe's where there are littles and teens all getting schooled. The challenges and the joys of homeschooling teens is different than the challenges and joys of homeschooling elementary age children. And I'm sure that the challenges and joys of homeschooling a wide spread of kids is different than those who are homeschooling only one or two. When your real-life friends start to school in a different manner then there are that many less people who understand those particular joys and challenges and who are walking the same road as you are.

homeschooling?? If I read one more post on here about how you sent your kids off to the public/private/sudbury/montessori/ boarding fill-in-the- blank school...I am going to SCREAM!!!!

This year all of my homeschooling friends have burnt out...quit...threw in the towel and have signed their darlings up for institutional school . So, I continue on the journey myself...with my kids wondering why they are still here and their friends are off getting mohawks and facial piercings and cute little plaid uniforms....

I am so uninspired! I have needed to get my school plans together ALL.SUMMER.LONG...I keep logging in here and all I see is more and more parents hanging up their hat and putting their kids on the big yellow bus...and they are oh so happy about it....and then everyone cheers and says what a great decision they made...and here I sit...getting depressed and fidgety and sick to my stomache because I have to plan a new year...I have to battle my kids, I have to lead them to their next step....

Where is the cheering for us...who continue to do what we set out to do and don't give in when the going gets rough????

Where is the support and the help when you just can not handle it one more minute...BUT...you know you won't give up because it is what God called you to do...and it He calls He equips??

I need to know where the inspiration to continue is. I need to be bolstered up right now.

I still have to plan grades 1,3,7 & 11. I have books...but no inspiration....I have materials, but no organization.....I have art supplies , but no planned projects.

This board is beginning to really make me more stressed....no reason to keep homeschooling...just put them in school and that will solve all my issues...I won't be as tired, I won't be as stressed, I will be able to deal with chronic pain. If there is really no advantage to homeschooling...then why bother? Why even go there?? I am just not enjoying the turn that I see we have taken here and in my IRL group of friends.

I need a place to read and get re-inspired to do a fantastic job. I need a place where there are like minded Christian women who bolster eachother up and do not encourage eachother to give up what they have been CALLED to do.

Anyone know any such place online? Maybe some downloadable mp3's?

I would like a message board that is totally commited to homeschooling...does one exist?

Anyone else in the same boat?

oy

~~f

I hope you find the encouragement you need to do what it is you mean to do. I don't know if you're going to find a board exclusively for people who mean to homeschool forever and where everyone does, though. I hate to say it, but I think it would be a terrifying place. Some families don't make it, even when they want to. Horrible things happen, people get sick, there are divorces, there are financial obligations. I think a place that excludes everyone but die hards would be a place that hurts other people emotionally when they can't make homeschooling work, and ostracize them if they begin having doubts, thinking that's the way to keep them in the homeschooling fold. There are hard circumstances, then there are choices. Happens in marriages too. People go in for the long-haul, more than half in the US don't make it. Christian marriages too!

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that some people who wind up moving their children to other educational methods intended to homeschool for the long run, just as they meant to get married for the long run. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. I'm very sorry they bring you down, but I don't think you can escape them :)

T. (who plans on homeschooling forever--and staying married forever--but knows that stuff happens, and won't slap-down anyone for making other choices, or having situations where homeschooling is untenable.)

BY THE WAY, YOU CAN DO IT! ;)

Edited by freethinkermama
Encouragement!

Well, I'm a total diehard and I'm putting on my Winston Churchill hat to give you my "Never give up. Never, never, never give up!!" speech. My British accent stinks, but you get the idea. :lol:

This is our 16th year of homeschooling. And, yes, there are years where I have sat at my kitchen table and thought I must be insane. All the other mommies have lots of free time. They DO things during the day. They don't have to vacuum eraser shavings off their kitchen floor twice a day. They have HOBBIES. Real hobbies, not just highlighting the Rainbow Resource catalog. :glare: Yes, that's a hobby of mine. Weep for me.

However, I PROMISE you that in the end it will be worth it. My oldest is 20 and my dh and I could not be more proud of him. He is an excellent young man with great character. And, you know what? It doesn't really matter that we didn't finish that Latin program in 6th grade or that I switched his math course four times since 1st grade. Yes, that poor child went from Calvert math to Saxon to MUS to Videotext. And you know what? He's not scarred from it!! :lol: And, he can actually do math! And, he's grateful that we chose homeschooling. All his friends told me CONSTANTLY, "I wish my mom would homeschool me." That told me all I needed to know.

My dd is 17 and is finishing up her senior year. She is on the local high school drill team, but she is not interested in taking any other classes there. She told me, "Mom, I actually want to learn something. None of my high school friends do any real work." And again, I am hearing from the girls, "Tessa is so lucky. I wish my mom would homeschool me."

My youngest ds is 9 and right now, he's not thrilled with any kind of formal education. Whatever. He'll get over it. :lol: That's one thing I learned. Do not pay too much attention to the individual days in your homeschooling journey. You'll be ready to jump off a bridge. And, you'll tend to focus on the difficult times and forget the fun stuff. It's important to remember the fun stuff. And, if you find yourself wallowing and over-burdened....take a week off for fun. Go on field trips. If we're having a hard day, we pack up, head for the park, feed the ducks, eat our lunch, sketch in our nature journals and do some spontaneous science...leaf collecting, bark rubbings, etc. Follow that up with another field trip...maybe the zoo or a nature center. Check books out of the library...read a biography of Audubon and look at his bird paintings and have your children sit outside quietly and try to paint in his style. Make a bird feeder and see what kinds of birds come to your yard. Check your field guides. There you go.....one week of quick and easy science complete with projects and FUN. Even if you're not into unit studies, take a week every so often and do one that focuses on what you enjoy. Your math and grammar will still be waiting for you when you get back.

Most importantly.....enjoy your children and enjoy the journey. It goes by WAY too fast. Don't get yourself all bunched up by the details. That's all they are. Take a deep breath and go have fun with your kids.

And, you CAN do it. You ARE making the right decision. You WILL have the help you need. There IS support out there. Just ask for it and we'll crawl out of the woodwork. :D

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Well, I think it's clear, even on these boards, that it's OK to decide *not* to homeschool sometimes. I think that's important. Yet I do not believe that translates into *not* supporting those of us who hs.

There is no one way to do anything...no one way that works for all--not even regarding the educaton of our individual children. Some of us do have good programming options available. Even if some believe that isn't possible, it's a fact for many individuals.

As a hser, I enjoy the support I might get from friends and families, but i do not need it. I don't want people to disparage the choices we have thoughtfully made, of course. I don't want to hear from hsers that I am doing my brick & mortar dc a disservice, and I don't want to hear from schoolers that I shoud send my other children to school. Funnily enough, it's hsers who are most negative about any type of outside education. The schoolers I know are pretty universally cool w/ hsing.

:iagree:

I'm only a baby homeschooler really, but I'm currently looking at schooling options for J, I am very conflicted about putting him back in school, but in the end, what is important is what is best for HIM. I need to get off my high horse and consider J first and foremost. And honestly, it irked me that your post suggested that people give up when the going gets tough, I don't think that's fair. They do what's best for their children in their circumstances. J will most likely go back to school. C will most likely never go back to school. Horses for courses.

Barb

I wonder if it is because homeschooling is now an educational option rather than something you do for strong philosophical reasons. If you see it as one of the options, then the other options are not vilified and more likely to be acceptable at some point.

Edited by keptwoman

Many of us are still here!

I'm here too with my almost 16yo & 12yo & no, they are not going to school. But I don't want summer to be over. waaaaaaah. I'm unprepared, I'm worried & I'm frazzled.

There have been threads here which have not been as uplifting as I could use...... and the high school board just plain scares me with all the organized, high achieving families. :D

I do think at times like this we need to go back to our "why" list. Why did we go this way in the first place? What is it that we're trying to achieve? What do we value about homeschooling? What to do we actually like about it?

There are posts by people who are inspiring - I have to put blinkers on to ignore the others & instead, really read the ones that I need to hear.

Like Remudamom here:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1971349&postcount=17

Diane W here:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1971549&postcount=31

I soak up the words from folks like this. I hear them saying: "YES, it's tough. Yes, it sucks. Yes, you're bored/frustrated/burnt out/worried - but you CAN. Yes, you can. Yes, it's worth it."

p.s Mrs. Mungo - exactly why I quit LLL too :D

Thank you so much for the kind words!! :D

Diane W.

I hope you find the encouragement you need to do what it is you mean to do. I don't know if you're going to find a board exclusively for people who mean to homeschool forever and where everyone does, though. I hate to say it, but I think it would be a terrifying place. Some families don't make it, even when they want to. Horrible things happen, people get sick, there are divorces, there are financial obligations. I think a place that excludes everyone but die hards would be a place that hurts other people emotionally when they can't make homeschooling work, and ostracize them if they begin having doubts, thinking that's the way to keep them in the homeschooling fold. There are hard circumstances, then there are choices. Happens in marriages too. People go in for the long-haul, more than half in the US don't make it. Christian marriages too!

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that some people who wind up moving their children to other educational methods intended to homeschool for the long run, just as they meant to get married for the long run. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. I'm very sorry they bring you down, but I don't think you can escape them :)

T. (who plans on homeschooling forever--and staying married forever--but knows that stuff happens, and won't slap-down anyone for making other choices, or having situations where homeschooling is untenable.)

This is so very true...and the real reason I love THIS board is for the diversity of its posters....and the acceptance of everyone's points as valid or at least arguable in a respectful manner. I don't think I was slapping anyone down....I know I wasn't trying to.....I am just feeling really frustrated....

~~f

The closer you get to the top the fewer people there are there with you. There are a lot of "worker bees" for every CEO. A lot of "weekend warriors" for every Olympic champion. Achievement is a pyramid and there will always be a lot more "dabblers" at the bottom compared to the few "true achievers" at the top. The closer you get to the top the more had work is required. It is easy to be a the bottom, it is hard to be at the top.

People say that they have stopped homeschooling for x reason, or y reason - but I believe that for 99% they have stopped because it is too hard. It may be because someone lost a job, or there was a move, or a baby. Yet none of those things require that homeschooling be abandoned. They quit because it was too hard. They aren't prepared to put in the work to get to the top of being a homeschooler. The rest is just window dressing, or a way to feel better, and the rest of us go along with it because we don't want to be mean. You say you have been called to do this job. If you have then you should be ready to work. Focus, and get the job done. Consider yourself an elite athlete.

I have also been avoiding the "I am sending my kids back to school because they will have so many more opportunities...blah....blah....blah" crowd. Hope it works out for them...but our 2 roads are diverging...and I need to stay on the one I am on until we reach our goals....I can not allow myself to be waylaid or driven off our focus.

When I was first beginning to consider homeschooling I caught a lot of flak from my peers about how much my child was missing by not attending preschool. I took the bait, and went to observe the miracle of preschool. I was horrified. Sometimes when those same people are telling me how great their current situation is I remind myself of that preschool, and of how I would never do that to my children. I have seen their opportunities, I probably know more about their opportunities than they do, and I still pick mine. Perhaps you need to observe a local high school?

I think that being a homeschooler has been somewhat fad-ish and the fun is wearing off. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy
The closer you get to the top the fewer people there are there with you. There are a lot of "worker bees" for every CEO. A lot of "weekend warriors" for every Olympic champion. Achievement is a pyramid and there will always be a lot more "dabblers" at the bottom compared to the few "true achievers" at the top. The closer you get to the top the more had work is required. It is easy to be a the bottom, it is hard to be at the top.

I think that being a homeschooler has been somewhat fad-ish and the fun is wearing off. :tongue_smilie:

Hoo boy. Duck and cover.

:confused: Admittedly, I haven't been "at the top", but I think what you posted is a bit offensive. There is nothing "easy" about homeschooling. It's hard work, whether you are homeschooling a house full of little ones, or working on high school credits. And just because someone doesn't homeschool all the way through high school doesn't mean they aren't champions. We all have our own paths to walk.

Hoo boy. Duck and cover.

That was a giant can of worms, huh???

OT, Melissa, are you going to go for Intro type courses or first year ones?

I'm thinking if J stays home, we are going to go right for the 1st year courses.

I am looking at SCI18 Introduction to Chemistry, He has covered all the material all ready , in Apologia chemistry, I think an easier course for his first one might be better. The first year course is SCC100, which looks good as well.

And, SCI19 principles of Physics, a first year course.

the problem is that the courses are so expensive. I have started studying through Open uni this year, and we have really felt the impact financially. DS16 would have to be doing 2 courses at the same time to be eligible for Youth Allowance, The work load would be too much for him to fit in other subjects. Lots of thinking happening here.

You need to move here!! (We just moved to a fairly small Midwest town with fairly good public schools but no cheap private Christian schools.)

There are more homeschoolers here than anywhere I have ever lived, and tons of people with high school aged kids.

Get someone to mow and cook for you!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:confused: Admittedly, I haven't been "at the top", but I think what you posted is a bit offensive. There is nothing "easy" about homeschooling. It's hard work, whether you are homeschooling a house full of little ones, or working on high school credits. And just because someone doesn't homeschool all the way through high school doesn't mean they aren't champions. We all have our own paths to walk.

That was a giant can of worms, huh???

I agree that HSing is hard, that was my point.

Perhaps your pyramid isn't homeschooling. I am not an elite athlete, a world famous knitter, or even the best pie baker in my city. My point was that doing something for the long haul, requires a certain zeal. And that you can't expect everyone who starts to be holding hands at the finish line, because lots of people just don't have it in them. You don't see me lining up to climb Everest, or to do the job my husband does. Those are not my pyramid to pursue. :tongue_smilie:

I won't be the top of the homeschooling pyramid. But I will be there with the other ragged survivors who have made it to see the finish line.

We all have our own paths to walk, but we, who want to follow through with homeschooling, shouldn't be admiring or duplicating the paths of those who are going to school. Or who are mixing and matching. If you want to be a gifted piano player you don't spend all of your time practicing the guitar.

True but it's also true that there are less people homeschooling teens than younger kids. And there are less people homeschooling a large family like Faithe's where there are littles and teens all getting schooled. The challenges and the joys of homeschooling teens is different than the challenges and joys of homeschooling elementary age children. And I'm sure that the challenges and joys of homeschooling a wide spread of kids is different than those who are homeschooling only one or two. When your real-life friends start to school in a different manner then there are that many less people who understand those particular joys and challenges and who are walking the same road as you are.

Well this is true. I've seen families start in late elementary, but middle school or high school is a daunting time to start homeschooling.

And I admit that when I've had a couple friends that I thought were die hard homeschoolers choose school, even great charter or private schools with very good reasons for the choice, even when they'd already graduated THREE great kids from homeschooling, there is a little twinge.

I hope that I don't give someone else reason to doubt their choices somewhere down the road. I hope that I am able to celebrate the incredible experiences we had. But just as I don't have to feel compelled to keep my kids in a school so that the quality of the school doesn't go down or to provide "salt and light", I will have to make our family decisions based on what is right for us at that point in time. Not to support the homeschool community.

Having said that, for now, we're here, in the thick of it, trying to get everything ready to start on Monday, move in December (not knowing where we're going) and still have a fruitful year.

...I try to homeschool my boys with a smile and a good, loving attitude because that is how mothers are supposed to be (whether they are giving baths, driving kids around, or teaching algebra)...remembering that there were plenty of grin-and-bear-it moments in breastfeeding, too....

All that to say that I'm here, I'll still be here for another 12 years, and I support this hard thing you are doing. It is a lie of the times that we should only do what we love every minute of every day. The word "duty" is still part of the lexicon! Sometimes we do things because they are right. We do our work well and we do it with love because we are people of character.

At least, that should be the goal. :)

Wow! I love that! :)

Mommyfaith I've noticed all the posts lately too - it's hard not to since there are sooooo many. But I think we will also see a lot of posts in the coming weeks and months about how ps or another school wasn't necessarily the solution. For some, it will work out very nicely, but for others, I think we will see some returning to home schooling. I saw all the short comings of a private school in the elementary years. I couldn't imagine what I'd think now after knowing the difference of what home schooling can offer.

Each child is different, and each family is different. I think the important thing is to keep the focus on what you want for your children and what will help you accomplish that goal.

I agree that HSing is hard, that was my point.

We all have our own paths to walk, but we, who want to follow through with homeschooling, shouldn't be admiring or duplicating the paths of those who are going to school. Or who are mixing and matching. If you want to be a gifted piano player you don't spend all of your time practicing the guitar.

I do agree with your last paragraph for sure. I think it's important that we lift up and encourage each other in this journey. That's why I come to this board. I don't have a lot of homeschool friends IRL. My husband has always been 100% sure we are forever homeschoolers, and now I am with him there too. So, as you can see, homeschooling is my path too. I am kinda sensitive, I admit, and to me, it seemed like your previous post was saying that those who don't do it all the way were looking for an easy way out, when I really think sometimes it is the hardest decision they have ever had to make.

If it helps at all, your posts here have inspired me.

I am really just starting out, my oldest in 2nd grade...and I would not know what to do with a houseful of kids the ages of yours, but I don't stress too much about it b/c I see you (and others who, like you, stick it out the long-haul through the good and bad). You will survive, your dc will thrive...and so the same is possible for me and mine.:001_smile:

It is good for me to see that you can have these feelings and STILL keep swimming!!!

I think the WTM theme song should be....

"She takes a coffee drink, she takes an expresso drink...":tongue_smilie:

Boy, was this the thread for me today.

Earlier I wrote an email to my dh expressing the funk I've been in lately. I'm upset about everything. My pants are getting tight, I have a hard time concentrating, my mind is scrambled, I have a black eye and it hurts, my house is never as I want it, my yard is a mess, and to top it off I need to plan.

I do not want to plan. I have no motivation to sit down and plan. I have to though. I've been putting it off.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is print off some quotes from this thread and hang them up.

This is our 16th year of homeschooling. And, yes, there are years where I have sat at my kitchen table and thought I must be insane. All the other mommies have lots of free time. They DO things during the day. They don't have to vacuum eraser shavings off their kitchen floor twice a day. They have HOBBIES. Real hobbies, not just highlighting the Rainbow Resource catalog. :glare: Yes, that's a hobby of mine. Weep for me.

OMG....so many good things here.

Rainbow Resource highlighter hobbyist here as well

Mommyfaithe, I admire you greatly for turning around and going to pick up your girls that day 16 years ago. Greatly. I don't know any of the details of your experience, but it has always been a fear of mine that I will have such an urge regarding my own children, but not have the strength to do it. (Not just about school.) I haven't officially started homeschooling yet, but have thought these last couple of weeks that it is hard watching all of the back-to-school hoopla. This thread has been a little helpful and a little scary. I am definitely in awe of all of you who have graduated high schoolers already.

I am looking at SCI18 Introduction to Chemistry, He has covered all the material all ready , in Apologia chemistry, I think an easier course for his first one might be better. The first year course is SCC100, which looks good as well.

And, SCI19 principles of Physics, a first year course.

the problem is that the courses are so expensive. I have started studying through Open uni this year, and we have really felt the impact financially. DS16 would have to be doing 2 courses at the same time to be eligible for Youth Allowance, The work load would be too much for him to fit in other subjects. Lots of thinking happening here.

Yeah we have done all the work for Intro Physics which is why I asked. Someone suggested going right to first year Physics as it means there is no question they will cope with Uni. It made sense, especially as it means it's credit towards the degree so slightly less $$ wasted, they really cost eh!!

Still, looks like he might be going to school next year.

We just started our 10th year of homeschooling. Our first year of high school..

I have to admit that all the threads about putting their kids in school got to me too. Probably because this whole high school thing is freaking me out. But we are in it for the long haul. One step at a time!

Sorry you're feeling stressed. There are still plenty of long-haul homeschoolers here.

One thing that helps keep me inspired is not comparing myself and my choices to those of others. I choose not to feel threatened or discouraged by families who make different schooling choices for their children. I choose to give most people the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge that they are doing what is best for their children. And, I choose to be secure in the knowledge that I am doing what is best for my child.

It's not a competition. That inspires me every day.

Well said.

As a mom with half of my kids hsing and the other half not, insecurity could overtake me from any direction.