Menu

Would you feel badly if your sister wrote this to you on FB?.........................

I wouldn't like it, either. I'd probably delete the comment but say nothing.

She's probably jealous of you.

I'd feel badly too' date=' but being me, I'd take the opportunity to zing one back ... in an equally humorous way of course. :D

How about something like I can only imagine how many times you've had to rescue your own from the crabtrap, so mine will come forewarned. :D I know - I'm bad. :tongue_smilie: You could also ask her for more details on getting tied to the dock - you want to clarify if that's the top side or the underside so you can pass the info along to the twins. :lol:

Sounds like she's more adult oriented and is probably just stressing over having so many kids at her house and imagining the worst. And it's probably just her sense of humor too. :)

Go and have an awesome visit with everyone![/quote']

*Gently* You're overreacting.

This depends on the personality of the sister. If my sister wrote that, it would have much deeper meanings, and yes, I would be greatly offended. That is because there is a long and very unpleasant history between us. In other families, it might be read as friendly teasing. It really depends on the family dynamics, and only the OP knows what her sister is truly saying. If the OP is feeling somewhat offended, she might have valid reasons for those feelings because of past behavior. Then again, maybe this is just sisterly teasing.

I would have assumed she meant it to be funny. Just like my Mom tells my kids that they will be chained in the dungeon if they misbehave when they are going to visit her. So unless I knew her to not be a joke making kind of person, I wouldn't be bothered.

No and Yes. I would laugh at the image of my twins tied to the dock!!!! and think they totally deserved it :)

After reading the rest of the post though...I could see this as being more passive agressive than funny.

Thank you all - I guess I needed to be talked down from the edge -- and, yes, I do see it as being more passive aggresive than funny -- although I would think it was funny IF I could make a comeback to her but she would FREAK if I ever said anything like that about her DD9. Dh would say she was jealous - I guess I have to remind myself WHY she would be jealous of me -- I just cannot imagine why. I will go - we will all have fun -- Thank you all again for your kindness and perspective.:)

As an outsider reading that, it seems light -hearted and funny.

If my sister said that, I would laugh. She and I get each other.

If a particular SIL said that, I'd probably feel bad, as nothing about that particlar SIL is light-hearted.

Thanks - I totally understand. With my sister, there is ALWAYS stuff between the lines. My SIL is ok.

I'd laugh- sounds like she is trying to be funny!

Thanks -- I see that - :) - now. ;)

The only way to solve it is to get her totally wasted and tell her how much you love her. :D She just may be carrying around such a vast amount of guilt it leaks out in barbs. You love her, you love her kids, there's no competition and your proud of her success. And have another lemondrop.

:lol::lol: :lol:

I think justamouse has the perfect solution!

Thank you -- she makes me feel unbelievably unaccomplished (is that a word?) and she does make pointed statements that I threw away a very successful to stay home and raise my children. BTW, when I gave up the bright lights and the big city (18 years ago) I also began taking care of her 2 year old dd and then her newborn dd (my nieces whom I adore). I loved doing it. and it never occured to me that it might grate on her -- I thought it was just so good that her kids could be taken care of my a family member who wanted to do it.

Thanks again - I don't feel as unaccomplished as I did earlier.

The fact that she actually does make you feel unaccomplished bothers me more than the fact that she tries to. You need a new attitude! Not a "back at you" kind, since I actually think she sounds like she's already over-justifying her decisions, but instead simply one where you can let things roll off your back because you are *so over that "must be successful by some arbitrary societal standard to be worth something" thing*. This way, when she does things like this, you can approach her with the grace she doesn't return.

I like the return joke, but since you know she doesn't take what she gives, I like the idea of taking it even one further on yourself, like "they better be extra strong traps", etc. This would be good for you too. It models confidence to her.

The fact that she actually does make you feel unaccomplished bothers me more than the fact that she tries to. You need a new attitude! :iagree: and I need one by Saturday! I daresay this is why she and I have limited contact - a rather superficial relationship, I guess. I can hold my own with pretty much anyone......just.not.her.

Not a "back at you" kind, since I actually think she sounds like she's already over-justifying her decisions, but instead simply one where you can let things roll off your back because you are *so over that "must be successful by some arbitrary societal standard to be worth something" thing*. This way, when she does things like this, you can approach her with the grace she doesn't return.

I like the return joke, but since you know she doesn't take what she gives, I like the idea of taking it even one further on yourself, like "they better be extra strong traps", etc. This would be good for you too. It models confidence to her.

I appreciate your taking the time to write so thoughtfully and I also think you are right on target. Thank you.

I'm sorry that I haven't read the posts -- on your first one.

Not only because of her comment, but because of the history your sister has -- she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. (More severe then just having a tendency toward narcissism.)

I'll bet you anything. Many highly successful people have it. They don't have one iota of empahthy for other people. It's all about them -- nobody else.

For people w/ this disorder, you don't even exist when you're out of their sight. They don't see you as equivalent to themselves at all.

Just having gotten home from a very expensive trip to visit my narcissistic family, I'd vote for not going. We all had a bad time. My little boys are finally seeing my dad in all his narcisstic glory. When they were tiny, he doted. Now that they have personalities, he's affronted and their "troubled" -- his word.

I could go on for days. My sister -- 2 years younger then me -- is one too and horrendous to be around. I don't know how her co-workers do it.

Her daughter has said twice to me, "I wish you were my mom." I think b/c she wants to hs, but also because my sister is just plain mean.

Anyway, you're not alone.

Take care and again, I vote for staying away (and yes, I know what you're giving up -- I'm in the same boat).

Alley

Nope - couldn't be further from the truth (I highlighted in red). She is the rowdiest, biggest kid of them all. Her older daughters and I used to hide from her when she brought out her cruise director agenda when the older dds were younger and we would all vacation together.

It's like she craves manic scenes from 'Cheaper By The Dozen' - and wishes that stuff would happen......and really, her dd will play barbies with my dds for almost the entire time. The older cousins will take the younger ones fishing or crabbing, her dh will play the guitar with my ds for HOURS - my ds lives for that. My mom and I will visit and my sister will be banging spoons on a frying pan trying to get everyone riled up.

In that case it sounds like the day will be a blast!!! Enjoy!!! :D

In that case it sounds like the day will be a blast!!! Enjoy!!! :D

Literally or figuratively? :confused:;):lol:

Sounds like she's just gotten started on her pot banging a bit early. You know' date=' rile them up by predicting how wild everyone will get. Because you know, she will have planned so much fun! fun! fun! that you can't help but go wild!

It sounds like the rest of the family wants some quiet bonding time with each other.[/quote']

I think you have hit that nail right on the head! When we were younger, she did always complain that our family was SO boring.

yea FB can be dangerous....say something and people are unable to know the tone! Try and laugh it off...or think of something kind of funny warning that you can give her kids!!

Hmmmmm, I liked Hornblower's remark about electrified collars.......I may go with that one.:D

Well, not positive about what she said. I'm all for humor. I probably would not have minded if she had emailed it to me - I would have laughed - and she and I have been emailing as far as what foods we will bring, belated birthday presents, etc.

But, this went out to everyone -- I am not a big FB person, and I would have preferred (and I guess that this is the long and short of it) that she shared it with me and no one else.

I guess I am just being hyper-sensitive, and I will just let this go.

Thank you all for perspective.:001_smile:

Try not to let it get to you. You know... it's highly likely that the feeling of inadequacy goes both ways. Maybe she makes jabs at you like that because she feels something lacking in herself. You said you feel unaccomplished next to her. She probably feels unaccomplished next to you, too. She may have the great professional career, but maybe she envies your motherhood.

Try not to let it get to you. You know... it's highly likely that the feeling of inadequacy goes both ways. Maybe she makes jabs at you like that because she feels something lacking in herself. You said you feel unaccomplished next to her. She probably feels unaccomplished next to you, too. She may have the great professional career, but maybe she envies your motherhood.

Audrey, Thank you for taking the time to write that. You make quite a few great points. And, I think I have just about stopped letting it bother me -- there has been some great advice here. And, I do have to deal with myself and my feelings of inadequacy - they ARE my feelings.

I am going to look forward to seeing everyone I want to see - the kids are going to have a great time b/c they always do and the older cousins will be there and that is a TREAT!

Thanks - I am now actually looking forward to the visit. :auto:

Honestly, I would have taken the comment as a joke. If your kids are a little wild, it's playful. If your kids are pretty well-behaved, it's playful.

JMO :)

ETA: my sister and I were always jealous and intimidated by each other. It was really neat that one night we could be honest enough to tell each other :)

Did you know the story of Perseus and Andromeda?

http://www.loggia.com/myth/andromeda.html

On FB, I'd reply, "I'll be certain to notify Perseus."

Jean

:lol::lol::lol:

Honestly, I would have taken the comment as a joke. If your kids are a little wild, it's playful. If your kids are pretty well-behaved, it's playful.

JMO :)

ETA: my sister and I were always jealous and intimidated by each other. It was really neat that one night we could be honest enough to tell each other :)

Thank you for being so reasonable. :) The Hive has been the voice of reason here today for me - I am most appreciative.

I am not easily offended, at all, by anything.

But what bothers me here is that she can post an insulting "joke," but you're not "allowed" to reciprocate. That makes it not a joke. Because a joke can go back and forth. So that makes this icky. That makes her icky.

I wouldn't respond. I wouldn't dwell.

I'd just go and make the best of the day. Then I'd go home and be glad to be with my own nice family and not have to see her again for another year.

I make jokes like that all the time. Usually to my own kids. LOL

I THINK it was being funny, but because of ya'lls history, I can see how you are not positive about humor or what.

:iagree: When I read it I thought it was funny and that that was the way she intended it. But it's hard for an outsider to really know what the dynamics are, so I can understand how you might take it differently that many of us reading this. It probably isn't really nice to make jokes like that, especially if there have been hard feelings between you.

And BTW, I am so sorry she ever said stuff about you giving it all up to stay home. I think it is wonderful that you have done that and you know your kids do, too. That's what matters and your kids are lucky!

I didn't think it was so bad....not as bad as my brother posting on my FB Wall that "because my children were homeschooled....they would wind up sucking on the teat of society." :001_rolleyes:

(I unfriended him and haven't talked to him in a year....and have no intentions of doing so).

I didn't think it was so bad....not as bad as my brother posting on my FB Wall that "because my children were homeschooled....they would wind up sucking on the teat of society." :001_rolleyes:

(I unfriended him and haven't talked to him in a year....and have no intentions of doing so).

:w00t: Well, that puts things in perspective........omh........I think the worst thing my sister ever said about homeschooling went something like this (a few years ago):

ME: I'm preparing my NOI so I can homeschool the twins for first grade :001_smile:

HER: NOI? I thought that to homeschool all you had to do was tell someone in your Church.:D

:iagree: When I read it I thought it was funny and that that was the way she intended it. But it's hard for an outsider to really know what the dynamics are, so I can understand how you might take it differently that many of us reading this. It probably isn't really nice to make jokes like that, especially if there have been hard feelings between you.

And BTW, I am so sorry she ever said stuff about you giving it all up to stay home. I think it is wonderful that you have done that and you know your kids do, too. That's what matters and your kids are lucky!

Thank you.......I admit I over-reacted.......and I do see where she was probably coming from. And thank you for your kind words.:)

ME: I'm preparing my NOI so I can homeschool the twins for first grade :001_smile:

HER: NOI? I thought that to homeschool all you had to do was tell someone in your Church.:D

To which you replied, "Oh, that's just for some states. Here, I just need to pray and ask God to tell me what curriculum to use. :mellow:"

I actually think she sounds like she's already over-justifying her decisions

:iagree:

Putting down your decision to stay home (calling it a "waste") validates her decision not to stay home. If she spends as little time with her DD as you say, then I'm sure on some level she feels guilty about it — or at least is bothered by thinking that other people feel she should be "more of a mother," KWIM? So she denigrates the job you are doing as a SAHM, and implies (publicly!) that your kids are just as "wild" as hers (threatening to tie them to the dock & cage them). Do you see where she's going? Since your kids are just as wild as hers, she's just as good a mother as you are, and she didn't give anything up — she has it all! Except she doesn't really, and I'm sure deep down she probably knows that. I suspect that her digs at you are less an attempt to make you feel bad and more of an attempt to convince herself that she's not a bad mother.

My two step-sisters had the exact same dynamic: one was a SAHM, very affectionate/hands-on/involved with her kids (who were lovely, affectionate, well-behaved kids), and the other is just not a warm & fuzzy kind of person. She's something of a control freak, and didn't especially like noisy, messy, hard-to-control little people, so she actually started a career specifically to get away from them! And she never missed a chance to put down my other sister, talk up her own career and how busy and important she was, blah blah blah. She also never missed a chance to dump on her sister's much better behaved kids either! My niece would be quietly singing, or helping to tidy up, or doing something useful, and this sister would shout at her to stop making noise, or stop being in the way — while her own little darling was swinging from the balcony or starting a fire in the garbage can or something! It was just her twisted little way of trying to convince everyone that her sister's kids weren't any better parented than hers were, therefore she was a good mother despite having dumped her kids in daycare at birth. And just so you know, everyone in my family saw exactly what she was doing, and nobody was buying it. I bet that's true of your family as well.

You are just as successful at your chosen career as she is at hers — and in no way is hers more important. Don't let her convince you otherwise! Her putdowns come from her own insecurities about her chosen path, they have nothing to do with you. :grouphug:

Jackie

I may get flamed here...but I honestly believe that women SHOULD stay home with their own babies/toddlers...or two things happen....

1. they never truly 'bond' with their children

2. their priorities become skewed and they are robbed of the most precious gift we're given...being a parent

I distinctly remember discussions at a sales meeting where two very savvy California reps were talking in depth about what to name a new yacht one had just bought (she kept referring to it as a yacht, but it was a very small yacht, maybe 20' at most) this discussion took up most of the conversations on off time...then at lunch, someone asked her how old her baby was....she replied "Oh, today's her birthday...she's only one she won't know I'm not there." My heart sank and after some comment about what a great nanny or au pair she had, the discussion returned back to her boat...at the time I was pregnant and someone made a comment about what au pair I was using, I told them my husband stayed home with my children, you could have heard a pin drop and later it went on to how can you leave this career, just think of all you can offer your children....again...

a part of me feels your sister deep down knows what she missed and is struggling to cope....or the opposite, she has no clue and thinks you're nuts...either way....you win.

Tara

Yowza. My brother can put his foot in his mouth sometimes, but them's fightin' words.

I may get flamed here...but I honestly believe that women SHOULD stay home with their own babies/toddlers...or two things happen....

1. they never truly 'bond' with their children

2. their priorities become skewed and they are robbed of the most precious gift we're given...being a parent

I distinctly remember discussions at a sales meeting where two very savvy California reps were talking in depth about what to name a new yacht one had just bought (she kept referring to it as a yacht, but it was a very small yacht, maybe 20' at most) this discussion took up most of the conversations on off time...then at lunch, someone asked her how old her baby was....she replied "Oh, today's her birthday...she's only one she won't know I'm not there." My heart sank and after some comment about what a great nanny or au pair she had, the discussion returned back to her boat...at the time I was pregnant and someone made a comment about what au pair I was using, I told them my husband stayed home with my children, you could have heard a pin drop and later it went on to how can you leave this career, just think of all you can offer your children....again...

a part of me feels your sister deep down knows what she missed and is struggling to cope....or the opposite, she has no clue and thinks you're nuts...either way....you win.

Tara

when my DD31 was born, she and I had knock down drag out arguments with me taking the position you write about above.

Thanks for taking the time to write -- there is SO much here that speaks to me of this 30+ year issue between my sister and me.:)

Tell the twins they will be tied to the dock if they are wild. We also have child sized crabtraps....

Hm. I come from a family that might say something like that. However, we would say it more like "all children should be forewarned that we have child sized crab-traps for misbehavior." To me, the difference is singling out YOUR specific children. I think that makes it a little hurtful.

Hm. I come from a family that might say something like that. However, we would say it more like "all children should be forewarned that we have child sized crab-traps for misbehavior." To me, the difference is singling out YOUR specific children. I think that makes it a little hurtful.

Thank you! You articulated it perfectly......and yesterday afternoon I was wondering where you were b/c I did want your take on it. Thank you again!:)

Let me say that I do think you are overreacting and that she is just trying to be funny, but that is as an outsider. It always feels different and more personal when you are the target of the joke, and when it comes from family.

I also get what you say when you talk about her being intimidating and all. But when you write stuff like this...

My sister's 9 year old (on the other hand), well, let's say that my sister has probably spent all of 6 minutes with her since they adopted her 8 years ago. My kids LOVE their cousin - my dd9.5 and she get along famously. THAT being said, I know from a visit (they stayed with us for a week) two years ago that my niece needs ALOT of, hmmmmm, someone keeping an eye on her to make sure things are the way they should be. She tends to get into stuff that she shouldn't get into.........my kids, thankfully (and I am not saying they are angels) but they know where they should stick their noses and where they should not.

...it makes me think that perhaps your sister feels judged by you. You may not think you're giving off any kind of judgmental vibe when you hang with her, you may think that she feels immune to being judged even. But honestly, this is rather hurtful stuff you are writing about your sister, behind her back.

I'm writing this as someone who discovered someone writing similar things about me as a parent, and about my child, online once, who clearly had no clue I would ever read it. Someone in my family. I'm still not over it because that to me was a glimpse into how that person really feels about me.

So really, when I look at what she wrote (directly to you, not behind your back, and in a clearly joking matter), well I have to think you are overreacting. Just remember that everyone has insecurities and the last person they feel needs to be judging them, especially regarding their parenting skills, is flesh and blood.

when my DD31 was born, she and I had knock down drag out arguments with me taking the position you write about above.

Thanks for taking the time to write -- there is SO much here that speaks to me of this 30+ year issue between my sister and me.:)

:grouphug:

I am so thankful for my sister and her support. My mother is the one who is not supportive. DH worked nights and I worked days with our oldest, and then, when we found out I was pregnant with our youngest, we made the decision that I would stay home and he would work days. My mother called me up and TOLD me she was moving out to "help" me so that I didn't have to give up my "career" and be "tied down" like she was. :glare: Nice.

Anyway, I totally sympathize with you and your relationship with your sister. I will never understand why some of those who work are so threatened by those of us who don't. It's got to be jealousy.

Have a great time in spite of her!

Dorinda

:grouphug:

I am so thankful for my sister and her support. My mother is the one who is not supportive. DH worked nights and I worked days with our oldest, and then, when we found out I was pregnant with our youngest, we made the decision that I would stay home and he would work days. My mother called me up and TOLD me she was moving out to "help" me so that I didn't have to give up my "career" and be "tied down" like she was. :glare: Nice.

Anyway, I totally sympathize with you and your relationship with your sister. I will never understand why some of those who work are so threatened by those of us who don't. It's got to be jealousy.

Have a great time in spite of her!

Dorinda

Thanks!:)

It just sounded like a joke to me. Is she normally a playful person? I think you have to take the person's normal personality into account.

I found out through my mother that I deeply hurt my sisters feelings one day several years ago. My sis and I were having a rare visit. She and I were talking about how clothing styles are recycled every 20 years or so and that we were now wearing clothes that were 'out of style' when we were teens. My mother is a major pack rat, having boxes in her attic from 30 years ago. My sister was helping my mother clean out 2 bedrooms in my mother home. I guess I made a joke asking my sister "did you get those boots out of the attic?" It was said in humor and the joke passed, we laughed and I never thought about it again.

I am a person who is always joking and teasing...so is the rest of my family. I didn't even remember the conversation. I had no way to know that my sister had blown the comment up into something wayyy more than it was intended to be. She made all kinds of assumptions based on a silly comment. She thought I was implying things about our financial differences that had nothing to do with the comment. She thought of all kinds of things I could have meant by it. It was just a stupid joke, with nothing to do with anything, other than the conversation we were having at the moment. It was just a joke!

I really suspect that your situation is similar. It was just a joke. You are reading way, way more into it than she intended. It sounds like she is exaggerating a point that is ridiculous, because she knows that you know better than to think you kids would be wild. She knows your kids aren't that way, you know your kids aren't that way, so why would you make this into something way bigger than it was intended? One of the bad things about message boards and sites like Facebook...you can't hear the tone of voice of the person.

I say 'let it go'. Be firm in what you know, and just chalk it up to a difference in humor.

Or not. (This is why I always try to read all the posts before responding.) ;)

Jackie

Yeah....I did. I just don't necessarily agree with others thinking that there has to be some deep underlying personality disorder, a hostile family relationship or a jealousy issue.....

I just think it was a joke.

Yeah....I did. I just don't necessarily agree with others thinking that there has to be some deep underlying personality disorder, a hostile family relationship or a jealousy issue.....

I just think it was a joke.

I did not think there was an underlying personality disorder or a hostile family relationship either.

I thought long and hard about what you wrote as I appreciated your point of view.

My response is that I appreciate your taking the time to write all that, you make many good points, and I totally agree that the difficulty with social media is that one is unable to hear another's tone of voice. :)

Hi Marianne ~

The reason I brought up a personality disorder is not b/c your sister made that Facebook comment. Of course, in a normally friendly person, of course that comment would be said in a joking manner. I suggested a personality disorder based on this paragraph:

My sister is FORMIDABLE! Six years younger than me, incredibly successful (I am not over-stating this)......and she is a very strong personality. I DO tend to keep my distance b/c if I want to get shredded, I'll just jump into a food processor or something.

I just know from my own "food processor" experience how difficult it is to interact with formidable, strong, shredder-type people.

I truly didn't mean to insult your sister.

And I do mean this post in a nice tone.

Alley

Hi Marianne ~

The reason I brought up a personality disorder is not b/c your sister made that Facebook comment. Of course, in a normally friendly person, of course that comment would be said in a joking manner. I suggested a personality disorder based on this paragraph:

My sister is FORMIDABLE! Six years younger than me, incredibly successful (I am not over-stating this)......and she is a very strong personality. I DO tend to keep my distance b/c if I want to get shredded, I'll just jump into a food processor or something.

I just know from my own "food processor" experience how difficult it is to interact with formidable, strong, shredder-type people.

I truly didn't mean to insult your sister.

And I do mean this post in a nice tone.

Alley

Oh, Alley -- I did not take offense and you are very nice to write. I was going to comment and then time got away from me -- I was actually going to ask you if you had traveled all the way from Va to the West Coast for the family visit.

I also gave thought to what you said, and while that doesn't fit my sister, I do understand totally how difficult a family visit that must have been for you and your boys.........and I can tell that you understand what I meant when I mentioned people who make you feel like you've been through a food processor.

And, on another note, how are you surviving this awful summer heat. I have to say that I think it is worse than usual this summer in Va.

Thanks for being so nice and writing (both times) -- Mariann:)