Menu

What type of tea do kids like?

My kids don't like tea. Well, unless you count Arizona brand. Super sweet ice tea--like drinking a soda. But I do have one kid that likes coffee.

I like tea. But I've found that I prefer the selection at Kroger more than Walmart--Tazo orange, Lipton bedtime in the pyramid bags. For WM choices, I like the blueberry or mint Celestial Seasonings teas, but not the zingers. And I don't steep it very long. Just about 2 mins at most. That seems to make the flavor milder. Also Stash English Breakfast (don't know if they have a decaf variety). WM probably also has the Lipton.

Cinder

I have no idea what's available at walmart, but my son likes licorice tea, "Tiger Tea" [i think the real name is Bengal spice, it has/used to have a tiger on the box, I think by Celestial], peppermint, or berry splash. The first 2 are sweet enough on there own that they really don't need much if any sweetener. I find that stevia makes my son have to pee a lot, so we avoid that now for the most part, but a little honey or agave syrup goes a long way.

Hot or iced!

Myoldest son likes the different berry flavored teas by Celestial Seasonings. My dd doesn't like tea at all. The youngest hasn't wanted to try!

At my dd tea party a couple of years ago - several of the girls liked the Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride flavor that Celestial Seasonings sells at Christmas.

Both of mine ADORE Roiboos, it was a real discovery for them and sparked their interest in tea in general. The good thing about it is that you can make large quantities and let it cool off, since it tastes very well also when it's cold. We often make a big teapot (or a few...) of that and then they drink it throughout the day.

Other than that, they're generally more fond of various tisanes (mint, chamomile, thyme, you name it) or fruit "teas" (esp. apple/cinnamon combinations in winter) than of regular tea. They'll drink some green tea when I make it in large quantities as Roiboos - usually kukicha, loose leaves - or even some green tea with jasmine or lemon or something mixed with regular tea (quite refreshing are combinations with orange and lemon), but they don't drink much black tea. They like a random Earl Gray, but plain black tea is usually "horrid" for them.

There is also a blend named 8 treasures of the Shaolin, they LOVE that. I love that one too.

We're quite some tea lovers in our family. We often mix various teas and generally treat tea as a preferred drink, right next to water.

J likes Green Tea sweetend with honey :)

We do not allow J to have *any* drink that has caffiene in it.

But your regular green tea HAS caffeine in it... less than black tea, and less than coffee, but still, it's a caffeinated drink. There are some kinds in which they fry the leaves or something to neutralize caffeine (kukicha, etc.), as well as some "decaf" ones, but proper green tea is with no doubt a drink with caffeine. :confused:

My children love red raspberry leaf tea.

Mine like that as well, and I add peppermint tea, we use alvita brand usually, or seelect. One spoonful of honey please. And a squirt of lemon, then add ice and a little bit of cold water.

We recently discovered celestial seasonings blueberry tea which they really like warm or chilled.

We don't drink regular tea.

We drink tea several times a day. My girls like chai or earl grey with milk and sugar... Or peppermint or spearmint with sugar. Or fruit tea with sugar. Really... I think they like all kinds of tea, as long as they're sweet. They'd probably also like iced tea w/ sugar too, but I don't think they've tasted it.

DD the Elder has a cup of rooibos chai every night over bedtime read-aloud (Numi Ruby Chai). She also likes straight up rooibos (not green), ginger (Traditional Medicinals only: Ginger, not Ginger Aid) and chamomile. The latter two she sweetens with a bit of honey, but the rooibos doesn't need it.

ETA: She takes milk in everything but ginger.

Edited by nmoira

For iced tea I use Lipton bags (6/gallon). For hot dd will drink just about anything. I was able to find some chocolate mint for her this past winter. She also likes regular mint, chai, earl gray and lemon. She likes the Celestial Seasonings variety teas.

My children like

Trader Joe's Organic Mint Melange Tea

Trader Joe's Bed Time Tea (this is my son's favorite)

Yogi's Egyptian Licorice Mint

Celestial Seasoning's holiday teas (gingerbread spice, candy cane, sugar plum, etc.)

Our own herbal teas made with herbs from our garden or co-op box.

but they'll drink almost any kind of tea.

Daughter drinks it with one sugar cube.

Son drinks it with milk and honey.

Hot, or cold?

For summer iced tea, I use Lusianne decaf. I add a scant 1/2 cup sugar to a two quart pitcher and they often mix that with the unsweetened tea, lemon, or a natural lemonade. Sometimes they mix it with another type of juice.

We like a huge variety of hot teas (some of which we also like iced)....