Menu

Has anyone read Angela's Ashes?Appropriate?

Has anyone here read Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt? Did you like it? Do you find it appropriate for a child going into 9th grade?

I ask this because my oldest is in public school and will enter ninth grade this year. She is in honors english and has this book as requirred summer reading along with Their Eyes Were Watching God. Never having read either, I picked up Angela's Ashes and started reading before she did. Usually I like these type of books but this one isn't doing it for me and I know dd will hate it. Aside from that, I am also upset about the books content for a 13/14yr old read. Maybe I am overreacting which is why I want to see what the hive thinks.

I am disappointed that the school chose a book that has bad language and sex out of all of the great books they could have been requirred to read. Personally, I think it should be up to the parent when to allow thier child to read/view content such as that. I actually allowed my dd to read the Twilight saga, after I did, and we discussed the issues. If I had not read "AA", I would have never known there were any issues thinking it was a "clean" book assigned by the school thus probably no discussion. I can see that some wouldn't have an issue with "AA", some would strongly disagree with its reading, and some would be in the middle. In this case, is it appropriate "requirred 9th grade reading?" Such as it is, if my dd finds it uncomfortable, she can't stop reading because it greatly affects her grade. Btw, If my daughter came to me and wanted to read AA on her own, I would say it isn't appropriate due to languange and sex. If she insisted that she really wanted to read it, I would reconsider with the understanding that we have discussions about it after trying to persuade her to try another book instead.

Fwiw, I am not saying that Angela's Ashes is a bad book although it didn't appeal to me. I believe it is more appropriate for an adult read. I don't think the author should have changed the language or sex parts since this is his life story. If this is the way he remembers, so be it. I feel for him but haven't found one thing enlightening in the book. (I am not quite finished.) Maybe if I had found that one thing, I could have overlooked some of the negatives.

Now for thos wondering what in the book is inapproprate in my eyes, read below. Again, DON'T read if you think you will be offended.

LANGUAGE:

The word Arse is used throughout.

The B word is used a few times along with slang for the F word.

"I'm not going in, Fintan. You had your lunch. We had nothing. Paddy explodes. You're a feckin' chancer, Fintan. That's what you are an' a feckin' begrudger too with your feckin' sangwidge an your feckin' Sacred Heart of Jesus on the wall an' your feckin' holy water. You can kiss my arse, Fintan"

The F word used for homosexuals is used lots but as slang for cigarettes. (not really offensive but don't like the word)

SEX:

"With Angela drawn to the hangdog look and Malachy lonely after three months in jail, there was bound to be a knee-trembler. A knee-trembler is the act itself done up against the wall, a mn and a woman up on their toes, straining so hard their knees tremble with the excitement that's in it. That knee-trembler put Angela in an interesting condition and of course there was talk." It cont. and is obvious that she is pregnant. This is on page 17.

After paying a schoolmate to climb the spout to watch his sister bathe,

"The Fit is up hanging on to the spout with one hand. The other hand is in his pocket moving, moving and when the spout itself starts to move and creak Quasimodo hisses, Molloy, there's to be no whankin' up the spout. ....Jaysus, Molloy, come down off that spout or I'll tell me mother. Mikey's hand goes faster in his pocket, so fast the spout gives a lurch and collapses..."

Naw, he says, naw. You're a B (insert actual word here). You're doomed....That's what they call people who aren't born inside the nine months of marriage, people conceived beyond the blanket....Conceived. That's when the sperm hits the egg and it grown and there you are nine months later....He whispers, The thing between your legs is the excitement. I don't like the other names, the dong, the pr (rhymes with sick), the d (rhymes with sick), the langer. So your father shoves his excitement into your mother and there's a spurt and these little germs go up in your mother where there's an egg and that grows into you."

Again, I am not at the end, so there may or may not be more.

Lolly, I wish I would have read it without dd being assigned it. I might have been less biased. Reading it, I find things that pop out as inappropriate,, rather than trying to enjoy the story. Btw, have you seen the movie? Is it good?

Edited by kahlanne

Lolly, I wish I would have read it without dd being assigned it. I might have been less biased. Reading it, I find things that pop out as inappropriate,, rather than trying to enjoy the story. Btw, have you seen the movie? Is it good?

I have not seen the movie. If I had been reading it as a screening for a teen, I don't think I would have enjoyed it either. Didn't even know there was a movie. Hmmm. Wonder if it is on Netflix instant...

I'm rather surprised they assigned it for ninth graders. I read Their Eyes Were Watching God in 11th grade, and I think in other years 11th graders read Angela's Ashes, but never 9th graders at the public school I went to. (I've never read Angela's Ashes myself.)

I actually had a friend in public high school who objected strongly to the content of one book which was required reading. He was able to read another book instead, but did have to jump through some loopholes to do so. I'm sure that varies from district to district however.

Disclosure: My 12 year old is reading it just for fun.

Reason #1: I have different standards for fiction and non-fiction and thus would be more likely to object to TEWWG than to AA.

Reason #2: In my Christian high school, there was a strong emphasis on appropriate reading material, to the exclusion of a lot of fine literature that contained a curse word or two. For example, I was refused permission in 9th or 10th grade to read Anatomy of a Murder for a class assignment because it contained a few curse words. My fluff-for-brains classmates, however, were permitted to read so-called Christian romance novels with the literary merit of the label on my laundry detergent. Not that I am bitter. . ..

All that to say that yes, I would let my child read it. There is gritty subject matter in a lot of classic literature (remember the child molester in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?) and in the Bible, particularly the Old Testament. If the purpose of the content is not to titillate, and my child is sufficiently mature to not be traumatized by it, it is acceptable in my home. To summarize: my position is that Twilight and romance novels are not acceptable; Angela's Ashes is.

Terri

I hated Angela's Ashes, but that was largely because I read it my first week postpartum, while nursing twins round the clock, and the infant and child mortality at the beginning does not mix well with postpartum hormones.

I would have no objections to the language examples you cite.

The sex examples are crude, and so they bother me. But I don't know that I would object to the book because of them.

I read Their Eyes Were Watching God in college and loved it. I don't remember enough details to know how I would feel about my rising freshman reading it.

My son's summer reading for ps is The Good Earth (for history) and Of Mice and Men (for English).

Edited by Melinda in VT
spelling

I would probably push the age up a bit to 14/15 & up just because it's bleak & heavy.

I don't have a problem with the language at all. In fact, I think McCourt's use of language is largely what makes the book so good.

And more than the sex, it's the abuse and neglect & the the dark miasma of despair that troubles me. I think many teens are already blue enough, they don't need more evidence that life is really awful for a lot of people. It makes it worse that it's largely autobiographical & reflects reality of these Irish kids. Poverty, illness, alcoholism, abuse, neglect.

And the passages you quoted - I think they're wonderful. This is the language of these kids, complete with the Irish lilt. McCourt captured their thinking, their speaking, their outlook - what was important & why.

It is rightly a Pulitzer winner & I think it's suitable for an honors English high school class.

I positively detest that sort of book.

I didn't read AA, but saw the movie and hate it, too. It's probably a lot like the book. Dreary and miserable with gritty accounts of sex.

I positively hate it when that sort of book is required reading at the high school level or even the college level.

When I was 33 I started college for the first time and was in an eng 102 class (literature). We had a list of books to choose from and I was hard-pressed to find something actually decent to read that wasn't about rape and war and bad sex. I read the one book about a marriage falling apart (but no sex scenes.) What a bundle of joy that book was...

Being that I'm so opinionated about students being forced to read things that I consider trashy (even if it's dealing with real-life events and deep human emotions), I would tell the school to come up with a better offering.

As a 37 year old woman, I don't like being exposed to the worst of humanity in the novels I read. Why would I be ok with exposing a 14 year old to it?

:rant:

Edited by Garga

Frank McCourt reads the abridged version for the audiobook of Angela's Ashes. It was wonderful. I listened to it on my work commute and then would come home and read the fuller print version, but I could hear his voice through it with the wonderful accent.

At high school level, I'd be fine with my child reading both books but I'd talk with him about them if he were interested.

AA seems to be inappropriate content for a 9th grader based on your excerpts. I can't understand exposing innocent 14yos to that kind of content if our goals for these children are to remain pure and "innocent regarding evil and wise concerning good".

The "required reading" label doesn't work for me. No way would I let my child read this book any earlier than 16yo or 17yo; and even then, I would not assign it nor advise it. I might allow it if the child gave me some feedback and it was their desire to read it for some reason?

I don't think the God who made the Universe wants me to read those kinds of novels, let alone a child who might not even be in puberty yet. (Yes, there are 14yos who are barely starting puberty and have no interest nor even curiosity about these topics.)

Lisaj, mom to 5

I read Angela's Ashes when it first came out in paper back, over 10 years ago I think. I was very moved by the book and was glad I read it, and I deeply dislike vulgarity in books. But I remember laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time. It was an emotionally draining book because of the despair and hopelessness in the peoples lives, and yet McCourt brought so much more out of it. It's been so long that I can't be more specific.I do remember that I thought it was an exceptional book and deserved the Pulitzer. All that being said, I would not want my 15 yo dd reading it! There are things in the book she doesn't need to know about at this point in her life! I also think the vast majority of 9th graders can't even begin to appreciate or understand the book. I think the book could be dealt with in a much more valuable way in a college class.

Just my 2 cents,

Mary

I am nearly speechless. What bubble have you lived in such that the reality depicted in that book is so foreign to your adult experience?? The last thing I want to do is to traumatize my dd by forcing her to become an adult and somewhat cynical at the tender age of 14 so I do understand why many would have misgivings about the book in that regard. I simply do not understand what alternate reality other people live in where poverty, struggle, anger and yes, sexuality is all unicorns and rainbows. I really do not understand what the appeal is for a state of perpetual childhood regarding reality.

I read it and really liked it. At age 24, I was disturbed by the vulgarity and abuse as others have mentioned. I don't want to hide those aspects of the world from my children, but I definitely would wait on presenting books with that mature of content until later teens.

For what it's worth we read Their Eyes Were Watching God in AP english in 12th grade.

I am nearly speechless. What bubble have you lived in such that the reality depicted in that book is so foreign to your adult experience?? The last thing I want to do is to traumatize my dd by forcing her to become an adult and somewhat cynical at the tender age of 14 so I do understand why many would have misgivings about the book in that regard. I simply do not understand what alternate reality other people live in where poverty, struggle, anger and yes, sexuality is all unicorns and rainbows. I really do not understand what the appeal is for a state of perpetual childhood regarding reality.
I've said this before, but I think I love you.

I think it is an excellent book and one that I would include on a high school reading list but probably waiting until 11th grade perhaps. Not because of the language (which I didn't find that bad) or the sex but due to the fact that my dd's are very sensitive.

One of the pieces that really stayed with me from Angela's Ashes was from the audiobook with McCourt talking about the time his family (4 kids) had the amazing luck to actually have an egg to eat!

Not one per person, but one egg for the family.

You could hear the excitement in his voice in the retelling of just how wonderful a treat having the egg was.

I often think of it and of how blessed and rich we are.

Yeah... I'll probably require my son to read it and listen to McCourt read it too.

I didn't enjoy Teacher Man nearly as much, but then my expectations were really high.

I wouldn't be happy about my young teen reading that. In fact, I'm not all that happy with that kind of lit in college courses. I don't think **anyone** should be required to read lit that is a constant barrage of foul language and sex. It's one thing if you **choose** to read such material; quite another to be forced to do so to earn a grade. My English major dd says if she has to read and discuss one more book about sex, she's going to vomit.

I read Angela's Ashes as an adult, and I loved it. The story of how McCourt's family persevered through such hardship was positively inspiring. It was a dark and eye opening book, but the underlying theme I took away from it was that the human spirit can rise above dire circumstances. The book really moved and amazed me.

I do remember that there were vulgar sections in the book, but I do not think that McCourt could have adequately described his childhood without some vulgarity. The language in this book definitely has a purpose. Because it has been several years since I read the book, I cannot remember the frequency of the vulgarity. But I do remember being very inspired by McCourt's poetic use of language and by the vivid way he painted his childhood story.

I am a former English teacher, and Angela's Ashes is perhaps my favorite contemporary piece of literature.

All of that said -- I personally think that if my children read this as teenagers, I would like to read the book again and be the person having the discussions with them about it. My dds are still quite young, so I don't know what the best age will be for this book. I think it may depend upon the child, and the book may be better suited for an adult.

I wouldn't be happy about my young teen reading that. In fact, I'm not all that happy with that kind of lit in college courses. I don't think **anyone** should be required to read lit that is a constant barrage of foul language and sex. It's one thing if you **choose** to read such material; quite another to be forced to do so to earn a grade. My English major dd says if she has to read and discuss one more book about sex, she's going to vomit.

I certainly hope she is not reading the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament as I read it again over the past few months to prepare for a course and there is more deviant sex, egregious violence and the like in the OT than you can shake a proverbial stick at.

I am glad to have so many replies. It is just as I expected, there is a wide range of views on AA being requirred reading, which proves my point exactly. Imo, the school has no place choosing a book as requirred reading when there are so many parents that would find it inappropriate especially without prior parents' knowledge.

I understand the poster, sorry can't remember your name, that said she disliked not being able to read a book due to its language even though the other options were potential fluff. There are two issues I have with allowing all books based on this arguement. One, you could have chosen to read the book on your own outside of school even though it wouldn't be for a grade if it was important to you. Two, there are plenty of books that are great literary works without the language/sexual content and yet aren't fluff either.

Again, I don't have a problem with the language/sex in the book itself but find it inappropriate as requirred reading for ninth grade. In no way should Frank McCourt have changed any of the language especially since it is his life story. I can also see why some may find the language beautiful even if I did not. I am just grateful that if I find it too offensive to read, then I could stop while my daughter can't without affecting her grade.

As for the depressing circumstances that he writes/lived, I do symphatize. I understand that this happens in the world along with much worse but that doesn't mean that I need to read it/experience it firsthand to have pity. There are many ways to teach empathy without the language/sex that some may find objectionable. Basically because Frank McCourt's live was miserable as a child, I should have to have a negative forced on me to feel sad for him. Hogwash!!!! Now if it was my choice to read, then fine.

I feel that at the very least there should have been a notice with the book stating language/sexual content that the parent's may want to discuss with students. I am an avid reader that expected to like this book which is why I read it first however there are many parents that are non-readers. They may wrongly assume, as I did, that the school wouldn't assign a book with content such as this. Think about it, for my 14yr old dd to go to an R rated movie with the same kind of content, she has to have an adult with her. There is a warning for the parent's knowledge. I have allowed her to watch some R rated movies but with my screening. If I deem the movie inappropriate, I can choose to not allow her to see it with requirred reading this isn't an option.

Aw thanks. You are in the minority here....Smoochies!

I love you too. :)

Although I'm not so sure about AA for 9th graders. It just seems like *everything* they assign these kids has to be dark and depressing. I loved AA. But I'd like to see them branch out a little.

I certainly hope she is not reading the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament as I read it again over the past few months to prepare for a course and there is more deviant sex, egregious violence and the like in the OT than you can shake a proverbial stick at.

oh, elizabeth - I love you too.

Elizabeth, I want to address your POV about the Bible. While I can see why you are comparing the two, I disagree in this instance. Again, this isn't to "attack" you and I hope you don't take it that way but I wanted to give you my pov and see if you still feel the same. Understand?

Point 1:Yes, you are correct there are many things in the Bible that could be deemed inappropriate however children that read the Bible usually have parents that have read the Bible or are familiar enough to know about the violence/sex to discuss with the child. Not everyone, myself included, would have the knowledge beforehand that Angela's Ashes had such language.

Point2:The Bible cannot be assigned reading in public school because some people of different religions/beliefs could find it offensive. I agree with this. If I want my child to read the Bible, I believe it is my responsibility and not the school's to assign and discuss it. Btw, I am a Christian.

I also wanted to say one more thing. I don't believe you have to expose yourself or children to the evil/negatives of the world to teach them empathy. I don't believe that they have to read explicit details of such things to know they exist. By not teaching them these things in that way, I am not sticking my head in the sand but chosing to limit their exposure. This is my choice as their parent.

Our home burned while I was a child and from the time I was 9 through highschool, we lived in a converted milk barn complete with concrete floors. Seven of us lived there with only one bedroom. We were one of the poorest in our school at the time. As a young child, I was molested yet I know many others had lives much more difficult. With all the negatives that happened in my life, there are many positives as well. If I could write a book about my life in detail, I wouldn't want my children read it. I don't feel it is necessary at their age. I have told them some of it from time to time but only what I think is appropriate. I am glad that they are more sheltered than I was. I say we have only a few precious childhood years and it is sad to take this away from them.

Hornblower, really, our school is very strict on not allowing the teacher's discuss religion in their classrooms for fear of offending someone. The only place I know as the exception in dd's school is her Christian Fellowship league which kids can join if they want.

Elizabeth, I want to address your POV about the Bible. While I can see why you are comparing the two, I disagree in this instance. Again, this isn't to "attack" you and I hope you don't take it that way but I wanted to give you my pov and see if you still feel the same. Understand?

Certainly, no attack perceived on this end.

Point 1:Yes, you are correct there are many things in the Bible that could be deemed inappropriate however children that read the Bible usually have parents that have read the Bible or are familiar enough to know about the violence/sex to discuss with the child. Not everyone, myself included, would have the knowledge beforehand that Angela's Ashes had such language.

It is not to me material that one has or has not the knowledge regarding specific potentially offensive content. That level of control over curricula should not be expected in a public school setting. That level of interest is commendable but rare. My point is that apart from some regarding the Hebrew Bible as sacred and thus infallible or at minimum inspired by God there is no material difference in the scatological content of the texts.

Point2:The Bible cannot be assigned reading in public school because some people of different religions/beliefs could find it offensive. I agree with this. If I want my child to read the Bible, I believe it is my responsibility and not the school's to assign and discuss it. Btw, I am a Christian.

I completely appreciate your perspective but feel that it should be offered as a literature course elective for those who wish to take such a course. Ideally a well rounded person would be exposed to a range of books considered sacred by a range of cultures as suggested by many classical educators. Heck we cannot even get people to vote in consistently in this country let alone read the Rig Veda, Koran , Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, Mahayana sutras, The book of Mormon and so on.

Lastly, dh said I shouldn't have posted my last responses since they are arguing against all of your point of views and I asked for them. Even though I don't see it as arguing but more expressing my pov on your pov, lol, I can see his point. I hope you all don't take offense. For those that agree with me on the topic, I love you! For those that disagree with me entirely and possibly think I am too overprotective, I love you too. I am so glad that you told me what you think. This time you were not able to change my mind but have in the past on other topics after seeing it through your eyes. This is one of the many things I love about this board and its posters. Just know I really do appreciate all the responses.

Elizabeth, I love how you write! You are so well spoken that I feel like a country bumkin next to you. Yes, we still disagree but that is irrelevant. I am an avid reader and can comprehend even some of the more difficult reads such as Shakespeare but I struggle with writing/speaking. I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Btw, are you the Elizabeth that teaches out of the Webster's Speller? If so, I love your website. I am very intriqued with that way of teaching phonics but am not sure I could actually implement it myself.

Guest Momo6

There's also the scene where he witnesses his mother in a compromising position- in other words- she's had to become a prostitute to support the family- I thought it was a very bleak and tragic book- and so, so sad that he felt he had to write this about his mother- even if it was the truth- definitely not for youngsters, who, in my opinion, should be surrounded by life-affirming literature. You are exactly right- with all the other wonderful things out there- why this book? It reminds me of my HS books list featuring 'Flowers in the Attic' (all about incest) and 'Equus' (about a boy who goes crazy and kills many horses in a perverted rage). I could have been reading Jane Austin or Dickens or umpteen other authors!!!!

I think it was one of the most depressing books - and I read it when I was about 20. One of my dds could probably handle it in the ninth grade but other dd would be so upset. She feels so strongly for others and it would really mess her up. I don't think it should be required reading for ninth graders.

We had parts of the Bible (Genesis, the first half of Exodus, Job, and one of the Gospels) as assigned summer reading in my AP English class. I grew up in Oregon, one of the least religious states in the country.

A Jewish girl objected to reading one of the Gospels, but as far as I know, the teacher won the argument.

Of course, we weren't discussing it as a religious text but rather as an important influence on Western literature. (Our summer reading also included Greek myths.)

Imo, the school has no place choosing a book as requirred reading when there are so many parents that would find it inappropriate especially without prior parents' knowledge.

It's impossible to find a book that no one would find inappropriate.

Just look at the lists of banned books - including To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn.

It's great that you're looking over book lists and questioning inclusions and looking out for your daughter. You could talk with the teacher and ask if there's a theme she's teaching with the selection of these books. I have friends who teach English and do have clear reasons for their book selections. That might give you more information as well.

The reason I did not FINISH the book was b/c FM's reality was not foreign to my childhood experience.

I got to the part where the dad woke the kids up when he was drunk and sang/had them sing songs and I nearly threw the book across the room.

It brought back such horrid memories of my childhood, I was completely thrown for a loop for weeks. I remembered that awful weariness of being awake in the middle of the night while my dad went on & on...sometimes furious, sometimes sad, sometimes singing songs. Why he needed us as an audience, I'll never understand...

Is your daughter planning on staying with honors English through high school? If so, you may have a long road in front of you... In my experience, very few of the literature selections are of the rainbow/pony variety. From what I remember, there was a lot of murder, abuse, rape, depression, and dysfunctional relationships. Consensual relations and rough language seem fairly tame as compared to much of what was assigned. I'm not saying it's right to have young teens assigned this type of literature, just that it isn't uncommon in an honors English setting.

I haven't read AA, but I have read TEWWG. It's been several years since I've read it, but if you took issue with the selections you pulled out of AA, my guess is that you will have even more trouble with TEWWG.

Yes, I guess my daughter will stay in Honor's English. I just never thought that with all the great books to choose from they would chose this one at this age. I went to a private school that didn't have honor's english so I guess my blinder's were on.

I find it funny that at my dd's school they are extremely strict on dress code (uniforms), can't color their hair, can't have certain printed, objectionable material on school campus, etc but the teachers can assign something that parents may find objectionable. I had to sign a piece of paper allowing her to take sex ed and even still have to sign for them to watch PG13 movies at the school yet this book is just fine without even a note home to the parent stating explicit language/sex as a warning. I personally think if they warned every parent, too many would have an issue and then they wouldn't be able to read it.

The reason I did not FINISH the book was b/c FM's reality was not foreign to my childhood experience.

I got to the part where the dad woke the kids up when he was drunk and sang/had them sing songs and I nearly threw the book across the room.

It brought back such horrid memories of my childhood, I was completely thrown for a loop for weeks. I remembered that awful weariness of being awake in the middle of the night while my dad went on & on...sometimes furious, sometimes sad, sometimes singing songs. Why he needed us as an audience, I'll never understand...

:grouphug: I understand and the point is well taken.

There are two separate questions here. 1) Whether a school should assign books that may or may not be appropriate to a particular child and what to do about it and 2) whether Angela's Ashes is appropriate for your child.

Schools have to assign something and an honors track English course is often going to assign works that examine hard issues. Great literature is not only about lovely reads, it is about great messages. As her parent, you, and only you, know if she can handle the material or whether it is appropriate for your child. Period. When my daughter was in public school, I pre-read every book she was assigned - not for language, violence or sex, but for emotional burden - she is incredibly sensitive and the thought of others' pain was a barrier through which she could not pass, no matter how wonderful the message or the prose. Those that we decided she could read but would push her, I summarized with her before she read them so there were no surprises. We talked about them constantly as she read them. In cases where we needed to change the material I found her teachers to be open and helpful. However, realize that part of being in such a class is the ability to discuss material from a shared experience, and a common foundation, picking and choosing undermines that.

Specifically addressing the language and sexual aspect in Angeles Ashes, perhaps you should skip forward to Chapter 17 and read his confession to St. Francis. The point of those graphic descriptions is to illustrate his growing burden of guilt, not to titillate.

On another note specific to Angele's Ashes, Frank McCourt's reverence for literature is palpable. After his first exposure to Shakespeare he notes - "I don't care because it's Shakespeare and it's like having jewels in my mouth when I speak the words." - I would feel profoundly grateful if I could pass on such a love to my daughter.

Angela's Ashes is heart-wrenching, and poignant, and a masterpiece in the use of written word. I write and would give my right arm to so clearly capture and convey emotion. All that said, the emotion burden, for MY ninth grade daughter, would probably be too much to appreciate the beauty of human perseverance in the story, but she is maturing fast and it is conceivable to me that she could be ready to read such a book next year.