Menu

Help! Television / Movie ideas

Doctor Who!!!!!!

and Torchwood... but don't be turned off by the fact that season 1 is very uneven... in fact, I often tell people to start with season 2.

And if you're already watching 30 Rock and The Office, you should definitely do Parks and Recreation. I think I liked it better than The Office this past season.

although I wish it were a little more PG.

Now I'm watching Farscape. It's not as good as Firefly, because the writing isn't as good; however, it's good enough, if you watch the first show and skip the next 6 or so, then start watching it again. The writing takes a huge jump in the quality of the storyline. The first show sets it all up. The next 5 or 6 shows, at least of the few I watched, are all about the cast of prisoners getting to know each other and setting their boundaries and rules..

After that, the writers get really creative in the plots and story lines and the show really takes off. I'm really enjoying it.

But when comparing it to Firefly, it's just missing a little something extra.

I also enjoyed the two Stargate shows streaming on netflix. Stargate, the Ark of Truth and Stargate Continuum. I think I got that right.

Goodluck!

Another good series is Dead Zone based on the Stephen King book. I never read the book, but I caught the series on some old reruns years ago. Stephen King is normally a little too spooky for me. But the TV series is based on the idea that a man has a near death experience and comes back after being in a coma for years. Then he wakes up to find that anytime he touches anything, he can see in the past and the present associated with the object. He helps solve crimes and is trying to halt the end of the world. But of course, no one believes him.

Edited by Kimber

Red Dwarf - If you like odd British comedies

:iagree:Red Dwarf is hilarious and bizarre - definitely a good one if you "get" that kind of humor.

Heroes - at least seasons 1 & 2. It gets a little bizarre but season 1 was incredible!

And... very very dark (serial killer) humor, and only for adults, but my DH and I really enjoyed Dexter. Fantastic writing, good characters.

That 70s Show

Freaks and Geeks

BSG - Battlestar Galactica - trust me on this. The new series that started in 2003. I generally dislike sci-fi, but I loved BSG.

:iagree:This series was AMAZING. I am still sad that it is over, and am considering starting it again. My understanding is that it was done by the dudes who did LOST, but they had a concrete idea of where they were going with the whole thing. It was just great. I think it is great even if you don't like sci-fi... but you do, so you will love it.

:D

OP here. Thanks for the excellent start. Let me refine my "search criteria"

This list is only for DW and me, no kids allowed. This is our nightly date ritual. We're in our early 40's. And we loved the memory lane '70s thread.

We did watch entire new Battlestar Gallactica series, one disc after another...WOW...Should have been on my original list.

I found 24 to be too intense for me...I found it troubling. Is PRISON BREAK similar?

When we had broadcast TV we used to love X-Files and CSI, but CSI got a bit gory for me in later seasons. I admit I have a very narrow bandwidth on violence tolerance, but to try to explain, if it is "cartoonish" death, I'm not bothered. Mild goriness/ickiness, especially if caused by 'rogue virus' or alien infection, I'm okay. But too-realistic agonizing stuff troubles me. Fringe & Buffy ok, 24 1st season (especially the season ender) made me almost cry, and not in a good way...

More please! I'm going back to research the other suggestions!

When we had broadcast TV we used to love X-Files and CSI, but CSI got a bit gory for me in later seasons. I admit I have a very narrow bandwidth on violence tolerance, but to try to explain, if it is "cartoonish" death, I'm not bothered. Mild goriness/ickiness, especially if caused by 'rogue virus' or alien infection, I'm okay. But too-realistic agonizing stuff troubles me. Fringe & Buffy ok, 24 1st season (especially the season ender) made me almost cry, and not in a good way...

More please! I'm going back to research the other suggestions!

In that case, you would *not* like Dexter. So scratch that recommendation off my list. :)

If you like the some of the series put out by BBC, you might like Monarch of the Glen. Scottish generational humor, very likeable characters.

I am going to recommend my favorite show, but I do so with great reservation. Because it's ... Um... Very adult---it's HBO's True Blood. And if you are into Buffy, this is a natural progression. Also, HBO's Rome. Also very adult, but dh and I both enjoyed it.

*** And just for the record I would prefer if both these shows toned it down a bit, but they like the shock value I guess