Menu

Dessert #2--yum, or yuck?

Please read the description in my post, then vote...Coconut banana ice cream pie.  

1. 1. Please read the description in my post, then vote...Coconut banana ice cream pie.

• Yum!
    • Yuck!
    • I'd eat it, but only if you changed_______________.

Coconut banana ice cream pie

Homemade banana ice cream, layered with fresh sliced bananas in a shortbread/coconut crust. Topped with chocolate sauce, freshly whipped cream, and a sprinkle of toasted coconut. What d'ya think? Yum? -or yuck?

Yuck! I don't like coconut though.

I love bananas but not banana-flavored things.

Can I just clarify--you hate all banana items except bananas, or you hate artificial banana-flavoring? The ice cream is a vanilla ice cream recipe with banana puree folded in, and the teeniest, tiniest smidge of dark rum, then layered with sliced bananas.

I voted yuck only because I hate the texture of coconut. Even if I could get past the coconut in the crust (which is possible), the toasted coconut on top would totally ruin it for me.

Same here. I would eat it if I could scrape off the topping, probably. :D

I chose the third option. I would eat it if the ice cream were either vanilla or coconut. I love bananas but not banana-flavored things.

I hate all things cherry flavored, but like cherries fresh, so I get the banana thing. But the description of homemade vanilla ice cream with banana puree sounds yummy and not banana flavored.

Love banana cream pie, love coconut cream pie, love shortbread, love chocolate on anything. If you can put that together and somehow manage ice cream in it too, well, I voted yes!

:iagree:

Just what I was thinking when I read the description.

Homemade banana ice cream, layered with fresh sliced bananas in a shortbread/coconut crust. Topped with chocolate sauce, freshly whipped cream, and a sprinkle of toasted coconut. What d'ya think? Yum? -or yuck?

I don't like bananas.

But would like the thought better if it read:

Handmade fresh banana ice cream on a crisp(or soft) coconut shortbread crust. Fresh whip cream, a drizzle of dark chocolate and a sprinkle of toasted coconut top this incredible ice cream pie.

Can I just clarify--you hate all banana items except bananas, or you hate artificial banana-flavoring? The ice cream is a vanilla ice cream recipe with banana puree folded in, and the teeniest, tiniest smidge of dark rum, then layered with sliced bananas.

Well, in that case, don't change a thing! :001_smile: Okay, well, you could add a little more dark rum, and I wouldn't complain. :D

I chose the third option. I would eat it if the ice cream were either vanilla or coconut. I love bananas but not banana-flavored things.

I agree with this.

Also, I've found that a warm caramel sauce seems to complement coconut and bananas better than chocolate (plus, I happen to like it better than chocolate, so I'm biased).

Otherwise, it sounds amazing!!

I agree with this.

Also, I've found that a warm caramel sauce seems to complement coconut and bananas better than chocolate (plus, I happen to like it better than chocolate, so I'm biased).

OR you could drizzle it with BOTH caramel & chocolate. Why not have the best of both worlds, right? It sounds truly amazing! I love all the things you listed, so combining them would just be total, blissful YUM!

Oh my Stars!!!! This sounds wonderful! You are making me hungry!!!! Stop! ok, go on..... :D

I agree with this.

Well, I just miss the yummy chocolate-covered bananas of my childhood. That's pretty much the only way I like bananas, so I like the chocolate. I can see how the caramel would be really good too!

I've voted for I'd eat it but___. I love coconut and don't care for bananas. I LOVE coconut cream pie and I would eat banana cream pie if it was served to me but I wouldn't order it. I think I'm in the minority of people who don't like bananas though.

Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Pie topped with rum caramel (or chocolate sauce) and candied almonds or walnuts :w00t:

I like coconut (especially if it is toasted and sprinkled on top of ice cream) but to me, a coconut crust/coconut shortbread reminds me of the cheap cookies that taste of coconut because of the coconut oil they use to make them. :ack2:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Is this for a monthly menu or a special menu?

I found when I had a banana item on the dessert menu, I really disliked slicing fresh bananas on a busy Saturday night because it had to be sliced to order and the bananas had to be a perfect ripeness every night. If it was for a special tasting menu or I was specialing the dessert (not on menu) then it was fine. :)

Is this for a monthly menu or a special menu?

I found when I had a banana item on the dessert menu, I really disliked slicing fresh bananas on a busy Saturday night because it had to be sliced to order and the bananas had to be a perfect ripeness every night. If it was for a special tasting menu or I was specialing the dessert (not on menu) then it was fine. :)

That's the beauty of *ice cream pie*. :D Yeah, I don't do banana desserts because I'm not actually there serving these desserts. I make them and leave them, after doing my best to show the servers & kitchen folk what to do for presentation.

Btw, the coconut banana ice cream pie is already on the menu, and selling like hotcakes! I put a poll on it in order to use it as a "control" for the other dessert polls I listed. I will leave the ice cream pie on until I find something else I'd rather make in it's place. Probably another week, since it's selling so well.

...without that. But I'd be willing to try it, because I love chocolate too.

What's the color of this item then? Can you stop the banana puree from darkening? And also, when bananas puree they kind of turn slimey - wold that affect the texture of the ice cream? Would the dark rum stain the vanilla? Curious about this.

I too dislike artificial banana flavouring. With real puree I think I'd like this dessert - if it looked pretty :D

What's the color of this item then? Can you stop the banana puree from darkening? And also, when bananas puree they kind of turn slimey - wold that affect the texture of the ice cream? Would the dark rum stain the vanilla? Curious about this.

I too dislike artificial banana flavouring. With real puree I think I'd like this dessert - if it looked pretty :D

;) Yes, it looks pretty. The banana puree has a bit of lemon juice mixed in, and doesn't seem slimy once mixed into the vanilla ice cream. The sliced bananas are sorta "encapsulated" in the ice cream, and don't really darken either. It ends up an ivory color, with some tiny flecks that look like the flecks in french vanilla ice cream. The rum is just a teeny tiny bit, and isn't enough to change the color. I was concerned about the same thing, but a test-run proved to me that it would look good and stay pretty. :001_smile:

;) Yes, it looks pretty.

Brilliant! I'd have that AND the apricots then. :D

I'd pass on the mint cheesecake cookie sandwich dessert....

(you know, my ambition - & my sig line - for a while was to live on a "Dessert Island: No people & lots of yummy sweet things to eat.")

That's the beauty of *ice cream pie*. :D Yeah, I don't do banana desserts because I'm not actually there serving these desserts. I make them and leave them, after doing my best to show the servers & kitchen folk what to do for presentation.

Btw, the coconut banana ice cream pie is already on the menu, and selling like hotcakes! I put a poll on it in order to use it as a "control" for the other dessert polls I listed. I will leave the ice cream pie on until I find something else I'd rather make in it's place. Probably another week, since it's selling so well.

Ahhh... I was thrown by the fresh sliced bananas! I know just what you mean :)

I had a peanut butter banana cake (it may have been an ice-cream sandwich) and the waiters took it upon themselves to call it the Elvis! That sold like hotcakes too. :D

Glad your pie is selling so well. :)

This sounds really awesome! Maybe another variation could be with a caramel sauce instead of chocolate/coconut to give it a "Bananas Foster" flavor?

Love coconut, but not with the banana. I like bananas, but they are not really treat material to me. :D Banana cream pie is the only exception for that for me! :tongue_smilie:

I'm in the hating all banana items except bananas camp. I love everything about the dessert except the banana ice cream. If you left out the banana puree and were a bit more generous with the rum, it would be completely perfect!