Menu

How many writing programs have you purchased?

Aubrey

How many writing programs have you purchased  

1. 1. How many writing programs have you purchased

• I have kids 2nd g or above & have been hsing 2+ yrs & have never bought a writing curric.
    • I have bought one writing program.
    • Two programs
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • Eight
    • Nine or more

Dh doesn't believe the statistics he's reading, lol.

ETA: I meant writing specifically. If it's a writing prog that includes grammar, it counts. I'm not necessarily counting grammar progs, though.

Edited by Aubrey

Classical Writing( bought and sold, bought and sold again lol)

IEW

PTIW

Writing Strands

Writing Aids

Writer's INC, Writer's Express etc

WWE

Wordsmith Apprentice

Wordsmith Craftsman

Jensen Format Writing

Lively Art of Writing

A Rulebook For Arguments

I downloaded all of Susan's writing lectures

Edited to add a few I forgot. Some of my older kids did online writing classes and the oldest 4 each took atleast one writing course at the community college.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I voted nine, but it is really not quite that bad.

I have bought and used Writing With Ease 1 for my ds6.

For my ds9 I have bought IEW TWSS, IEW SWI A and Wordsmith Apprentice and various copywork books.

For dd11 I have bought Classical Writing, Wordsmith Apprentice, Wordsmith Craftsman, Jensen Format Writing, One Year Adventure Novel, and Write Shop.

They just can't use the writing programs I bought for the other kids.

We've used and sold CW and Imitations in Writing.

I've bought and sold a IEW program.

This year I'm using Writing Strands along with SWB's writing lectures for the middle grades with my older 2 boys.

The only writing program that I've bought, used, kept, and am still using is WWE. I'm using this with my younger boys.

Your DH will be amazed!

Actual programs:

Writer's Jungle/Bravewriter

Help for High School

Writing Strands (pretty much all of them)

SWB's writing CD, and attendance at her sessions on writing at the VA anniversary conference last year

Editor in Chief

Programs with some writing that I used, but that's not the focus of why I bought the programs:

Rod and Staff

Junior Great Books

The Well Trained Mind

First Language Lessons (only the first volume)

Programs that I bought but didn't use:

Scott Foresman 1st grade

Classical Writing--the early version without any workbooks or helps

Writers' Express

Wordsmith

Jenson's Format Writing--just in case we need this in high school, so we still might use it.

That one about writing a novel in a year--great idea, but a bad layout for my particular dd. The adventure novel one would probably have worked much better.

National Writer's Novel in a Month--middle school version

Primary Language Lessons

Intermediate Language Lessons

Other resources that I have actually used:

Teacher's guides for various plays and operas over the years

My charter's writing guides--one per year for specific genres

"Teach Like Your Hair Is On Fire" by Esquith

"Writing: Teachers and Children at Work" by Graves

Local coop that did IEW's SWI-B or something like that over one year

Bravewriter classes:

Kids Write Basic and Expository Essay

(I'm seriously considering signing DD up for the fiction class this summer as a treat)

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Let's see...

I have CW-Aesop, which we use from time to time and like, but it's true it's not as open and go as I'd like right now.

And WWE, which I really like, though I don't do dictation from the children's narrations, I want them to take dictation from stronger writing than their own.

Imitations in Writing, which is something between CW and IEW, and is good for learning to outline.

And then we also do written narrations ala Charlotte Mason from time to time. I don't edit those.

So I think just three purchased programs. All of which I like quite well. And SWB's writing lectures, while not a program, are a must own for clarifying the steps to learning to write. :)

I didn't answer the poll because I'm not sure how to count all the writing / language arts curriculum I have. Many of my resources aren't complete writing or language arts programs. Some of them could be a complete language arts and writing program for the age of my oldest, but I suspect don't count as "writing programs" as you are thinking of them. So I've got somewhere between 3 and 9+, and I'm still searching.

I've actually used only a very small handful of these resources, and I have yet to use any programs in its entirity.

I own ...

BraveWriter / The Writer's Jungle + some Arrow issues (like it)

MCT LA (love it!)

Writing Strands (only part, never used)

Writing With Ease (never used)

I also own ...

Spell to Write and Read (partially used)

Writing Road to Reading (never used)

First Language Lessons (never used)

Primary Language Lessons (never used)

Intermediate Language Lessons (never used)

Simply Grammar (never used)

English for the Thoughtful Child (never used)

Spelling Plus Dictation (partially used)

Spelling Wisdom (never used)

The Well Trained Mind (partially used)

I also have several reference books and a few old college writing textbooks.

Oh, and my oldest just finished first grade.

I know that I have way too many language arts programs, but I pretend that I haven't really spent that much on writing. I only bought two of them new, and most of the rest were only a couple of dollars each.

Edited by Kuovonne

Just two. I bought Classical Writing way back when it was first out, and after trying it decided it wasn't for me. (I've heard they've made it much more user-friendly since then.)

My next purchase was IEW. We're happy with this.

I'm not one to spend time and money on the next trendy thing. There's no perfect curriculum out there. We're happy with what we've got. :)

My point was simply that I've been hs'ing for 5 yrs & have bought a used copy of WS once on clearance for $1. We've been reading the BW site, & when she said most hs'er *currently* own 5-11 writing progs that don't work (for them), he balked. I said I bet it's true--or at least that most people have tried that many.

My point was how lucky he is that I'm so cheap, & that therefore I should start spending $. :lol:

My point was simply that I've been hs'ing for 5 yrs & have bought a used copy of WS once on clearance for $1. We've been reading the BW site, & when she said most hs'er *currently* own 5-11 writing progs that don't work (for them), he balked. I said I bet it's true--or at least that most people have tried that many.

My point was how lucky he is that I'm so cheap, & that therefore I should start spending $. :lol:

Actually, though, not all of these curricula are expensive. I got Writers' Express free or I would not have bothered to pick it up. Jenson's Format Writing was very reasonably priced, and many of the other books were from library sales.

I forgot one resource that I really like and keep sending dd back to, although she is not that impressed with it. I'm convinced it will percolate and bear fruit down the road. It is "A Crow Doesn't Need A Shadow" and it is focussed on teaching nature poetry writing to children. It's really, really good.

Golly, I don't even know if I can remember them all. (and I am including the ones for middle/high school since you didn't specify)

Writing Strands

IEW

VIE (3rd-8th grade)

CW (Aesops and Homer)

Imitations in Writing

Writers, Inc

Write Source

PTIW

Lively Art of Writing

Abeka

The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric

Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition

Composition in the Classical Tradition

and I just bought MCT's Advanced Writing to look at how he teaches MLA notation b/c I am hoping it is simpler than the way I have been putting it together on my own (Janet recommended it.) I ordered Essay Voyage, Poetry (something) and CE2 to look at.

(ok, it's pretty sad that I needed to preview my post so that I could count more easily!)

SL LA (hated it)

MCT Sentence Island

WWE

Writing Aids from TOG

Choosing a writing program has been my biggest source of frustration with homeschooling. :confused: I'm not yet sold on MCT's writing curriculum but I like it for grammar, vocabulary, and poetry. I really like the looks of CW for writing but I don't want to use it as a complete LA program. I definitely like the idea of incorporating writing from our history and literature studies but I'm not completely comfortable with my ability to teach it. As of today (although I'm constantly changing my mind), my plan is to eventually use LToW.

I voted 2 but in reading the responses I remembered a couple more.

WWE 1

Writing in Narrative Writing Man

The Paragraph Book series from EPS

MCT Paragraph Town

The Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary School had a lot of practice writing sentences imitating the structure of model sentences so that could be considered somewhat of a writing program as well.

DD has asked to try Wordsmith Apprentice next year.

The One Year Adventure Novel looks really interesting, will have to keep that in mind for when my kids are old enough.

We've been reading the BW site, & when she said most hs'er *currently* own 5-11 writing progs that don't work (for them), he balked. I said I bet it's true--or at least that most people have tried that many.

Different programs focus on different aspects of writing, however. WWE is copywork, dictation, and narration. The WIN book I used focused on creative writing of fiction. The Paragraph Book series focused mostly on expository writing. Wordsmith Apprentice uses a newspaper format.

Perhaps there's an "all-in-one" writing program that would cover all of these well. I haven't tried IEW, WS, or BW. My point is, having used multiple programs does not mean there's necessarily anything wrong with those programs.

I counted three: The Writer's Jungle, Wordsmith Apprentice and IEW. I didn't count Just Write, which I bought under pressure and never used, or WWE, which I bought simply to look at and decide whether or not to use with the workbooks.

At this point we are using only one: IEW. Good thing you didn't ask how many IEW products I have purchased. :D

Three:

A couple years of Writing Strands (hate it)

MCT (love it)

Bravewriter (love it)

I'm still at an informal stage with DD the Elder, and won't start seriously for another year or two. I haven't yet decided what to do about DD the Younger, and might start her with some basics a bit earlier because she doesn't have the same intuitive sense of language as her sister.

and a half:

Nonfiction Matters

Only IEW. :)

ETA: Actually, I guess MCT is also a writing of sorts, so I should have voted two....

I didn't count MCT because I bought it for the grammar, not the writing & because, technically, I don't think there's much/any writing in the level we're using. And I think what's there is just a creative way to reinforce grammar concepts, not actually teach writing.

ETA: I meant writing specifically. If it's a writing prog that includes grammar, it counts. I'm not necessarily counting grammar progs, though.

I have bought and used many programs...partially and fully. Right now in my closet I have:

jensen's format writing

lively art of writing

iew

several volumes of iew's writing books including:

medievel

us hx based vol 1 &2

elegant essay

jump in by apologia

abeka's handbook of comp

SWB Strong Foundations

Serl's Primary and Intermediate

CW Homer

Imitations in writing (several volumes)

wordsmith

research writing simplified...

Complete writing lessons for the primary grades......

Writing Aids (TOG)

CLE

and this does not include the umpteen workbooks from FS, EMC, RP etc which cover specific writing topics such as reporta and poetry...

I have been homeschooling for almost 16 years...and have used these either in whole, part, or for teaching ideas.

I am not really impressed by any of them in whole, but I use them as tools to accomplish what I need to accomplish.

I am most impressed with SWB's nuts and bolts, simplified approach. It is the most easy to implement and most natural for me to include in our curriculum.

Please excuse the cap typos. My shift key is wonky.

Faithe

Here's my list:

IEW (used for 2 years)

WT (used for 2 years)

WWE (used for 2 years)

WS (collected used for $1 each just to have :rolleyes: I do use assignments from it from time to time when I've been too busy to put something else together)

MCT LA (for this coming year)

BW (ditto MCT)

There's nothing that I have bought/sold or bought and not used. Looking at my list, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :tongue_smilie:

I do not have enough fingers for this exercise:

IEW Themes: US History, Ancient, Medieval

SL LA: 4, 5, 6

K12 A and B

Brave Writer

Write Source

TOG w/ Writing Aids

Wordsmith Apprentice and Craftsman

Writing Strands

SWB's writing lectures downloads

CW Homer

MCT Paragraph Town and Voyage

and a new acquisition that shall remain nameless

Those in bold I no longer own. Either we finished them or they were not a good fit.

ETA: Forgot one of my favorite books, Unjournaling. I could give it all up except this book, MCT, and Brave Writer

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition

Let's See,

Understanding Writing-sold it 3 times!

Writing Strands 2,3,4, and 5--still own these

Wordsmith Apprentice, Wordsmith, and Wordsmith Craftsman-used the first two, no luck with the last one

Writing For 100 Days-liked this one, still own it.

Igniting Your Writing 1 and 2--son loved the first one...still own it

WIN 7 sentence story, WIN Essays, WIN Reasearch papers-own all of these still

Write with the best book 1 and 2 (didn't give this one a real chance before selling)

Learn to Write the Novel Way--sold it, seemed to involved at the time

Does Writing With Ease and Strong Fundamentals count? If so, then that, too!

And there's a few I know I have forgotten in about 11 years!:lol:

I'm still curious about IEW, the Essay and Research paper from Analytical Grammar, and a new writing program I found at a place called, My Father's Books, oh and I was just given Jump In!

:lol::lol::lol:

I put five.

Bravewriter

Wordsmith Apprentice

Writing with Ease

MCT Island

Igniting Your Writing

Oh I do own level 2 of Writing Strands.

Oh I also own some grade level (gr.2?) of a Spectrum Writing workbook. Actually, I think I own grade 5 Spectrum WRiting as well b/c I liked the descriptions of different types of essays.

Oh darn, i forgot I also bought Writing Tales 1 and 2 teacher manuals to preview (used) but never bought the student manuals.

HHm should I have voted 7? 8-)

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Um yeah, I think my poll answer is a wee bit off, come to think of it.

I have (and counted in the poll):

Writing Strands (can't seem to use it or get rid of it)

Classical Writing (bought and SOLD)

WWE (used last year)

Creative Communications (am using in projects here and there)

But I also have R&S, VIE (some old and some new), some old Catholic writing books, Elements of Style (et. al), and PLL. I had CHC LoG, ILL, Warriner's, and an early college level composition text that I got rid of when we moved. And I have looked at (but not actually bought) Sadlier's Writing Workshop, Writing Tales, Write with the Best, and Jump In.

It is awful to have an English major and not be able to find a writing program that you like. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Asenik

I've bought (and happily used!) the following:

IEW

WWE

Writing Tales

CW -- Aesop

TOG's Writing Aids

I've also downloaded Susan Wise Bauer's lectures on teaching writing, and they are Wonderful and her method does influence how I handle writing, but I find that I need a little more structure (okay, hand holding).

Oh, and I chose "five" on the poll, but really it is six because I bought The Lost Tools of Writing at the NC homeschooling conference a couple weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but it looks excellent!

And I'm assuming that we aren't including writing Poetry. If we are, I have Seven! I have Classical Writing: Poetry for Beginners (and am getting ready to order IEW's Grammar of Poetry).

Edited by Melora in NC
forgot a couple!

I'm not frustrated or frantic having bought or taken all this stuff. I'm empowered ; . I have a lot of resources at my fingertips. I am a good teacher, and that means that I can use the right tool for the right job. So when we are floating along in Rod and Staff and some pretty good writing lessons turn up, DD does them. I keep the SWB outline in my head all the time, and I use her suggestions about how to come up with a good thesis statement to relate to Junior Great Books' experience. I use her suggestions to give subject area writing assignments in literature, history, and, to some extent, science. Writing Strands was our bread and butter program composition program, with Bravewriter putting the spirit onto the flesh of the whole endeavor. Every so often I salted in a class--one IEW class and two Bravewriter classes. Every so often I used a little bit of another program.

I don't need a be all and end all writing program.

I need a vision, and some tools, and that's what I have.

(Walking away, shaking head. Not defensive. Nope. Not me. (Not I.) Confident. Well-equipped. Not feeling wasteful at all. Except for the misguided purchase of Classical Writing, used, before it was fully developed.)

I don't need a be all and end all writing program.

This is a comment that I can completely relate to. :001_smile:

Teaching writing is not hard. You simply need some ideas on how to "empower" your children with the appropriate tools. Once you know how to do that, you can apply the writing techniques to any subject vs being locked into the lame assignments that writing programs assign.

I have never been satisfied with programs that separate writing instruction from strong writing examples or with programs that make something simple sound so difficult. The times I have purchased something hoping that it would make my daily teaching easier, I have been sorely disappointed by the fact that they normally make things more difficult than if I simply just teach it myself. (what I fear with my MCT MLA book)

As my kids reach high school, I need sources that are up to date in proper formatting (I was taught the old footnote way and I have had to learn MLA and it even changes which is utterly annoying.) I also want sources that help polish their skills while focusing on helping them form the best argument. I have found 2 for the latter that I am happy with, but none for the former.

But I digress. Back to elementary school........Aubrey, before I forked out a lot of $$ on BW or any other program, I would probably buy a cheap school textbook and see if simply having the guide of that sort of book is enough. Since you have never really owned a writing program, maybe all you need is a guide to keep you on track. I love books that have great teaching nuggets that I can use even if I really don't like anything else in the rest of the book (b/c having great nuggets is better than having nothing at all!!!) Sometimes those nuggets are found in the least likely of places.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I'm not frustrated or frantic having bought or taken all this stuff. I'm empowered ; . I have a lot of resources at my fingertips. I am a good teacher, and that means that I can use the right tool for the right job.

:iagree:

No regrets here either! All the programs I have were good and worked well for what I bought them for. I'm glad ds did Aesop and Writing Tales II before he started with IEW, and IEW was good for a couple years. He can now write well enough to write the short "response" essays that SWB suggests (and it is thanks to her that he did quite a lot of outlining last year!), and at some time in the next year or so I believe that The Lost Tools of Writing will be wonderful for helping him think through what he wants to say and how best to say it. WWE was a great fit for dd for 1st and 2nd grades, and this year she is really enjoying Writing Tales I. As you say, Carol, the right program at the right time for my kids makes me a better teacher, not indecisive! (but I'm not going to mention this survey to dh!)

This is a comment that I can completely relate to. :001_smile:

Teaching writing is not hard. .

Nevertheless, I find it hard:001_smile:. Math I find easy to teach. Music I find easy to teach. I hate teaching writing and tend to expect my dc to write perfectly. There's only one subject I loathe teaching more than writing, and that's literary analysis. This is why I've bought so many writing programs and am hoping to outsource essay writing for my 15 yo this coming year. As for my younger two, a friend & I are doing a trade that involves her teaching them creative writing & me enriching her dc's math education.

Nevertheless, I find it hard:001_smile:. Math I find easy to teach. Music I find easy to teach. I hate teaching writing and tend to expect my dc to write perfectly. There's only one subject I loathe teaching more than writing, and that's literary analysis. This is why I've bought so many writing programs and am hoping to outsource essay writing for my 15 yo this coming year. As for my younger two, a friend & I are doing a trade that involves her teaching them creative writing & me enriching her dc's math education.

I think you misunderstand my comment. I mean that a program does not need to make writing instruction torturous to actually teach quality writing skills. :D

Writing instruction does not need to be hard......of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is easy to teach! ;)

I think you misunderstand my comment. I mean that a program does not need to make writing instruction torturous to actually teach quality writing skills. :D

Writing instruction does not need to be hard......of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is easy to teach! ;)

:o I did misunderstand.

But I digress. Back to elementary school........Aubrey, before I forked out a lot of $$ on BW or any other program, I would probably buy a cheap school textbook and see if simply having the guide of that sort of book is enough. Since you have never really owned a writing program, maybe all you need is a guide to keep you on track. I love books that have great teaching nuggets that I can use even if I really don't like anything else in the rest of the book (b/c having great nuggets is better than having nothing at all!!!) Sometimes those nuggets are found in the least likely of places.

Well, now, I guess I didn't represent myself completely accurately. (Can you do 2 -ly's in a row like that? Sure sounds weird.)

I actually bought a couple of writing textbooks at 1/2 Price to follow their "outline" when I wrote mine. Mine might even be fine w/ a little tweaking, although the formatting really stinks. :lol: The problem is...besides having too slow of a progression, too much sidetracking on literary elements instead of writing (still important, still related, but...kind-of a digression, if that makes sense), my focus is too split when I use it. It's like...I could probably write a great curric. I know I can teach one. I just can't do both at the same time. Not well, anyway.

Off topic, but I just looked at your sig line & saw that your youngest is nearly 2! I still remember when you were trying to sell a house with a baby (must be your third dc.)

Off topic, but I just looked at your sig line & saw that your youngest is nearly 2! I still remember when you were trying to sell a house with a baby (must be your third dc.)

Do you mean you haven't forgotten the "showing"? :lol: (If only *I* could forget it!)