Menu

REALLY i need your imput

mlgbug

So a few of you read my thread about taking about 6 months off to give DD time to relax. i was pushing her. That being said, she was almost done with book 1 of Horizons K....and we cant restart where she left off. she didnt retain the info.

So i was starting with Singapore 1a but after a few pages, it got way to hard.

DH wont let me spend any more $. im gonna try to make some paypal to get another program to take it nice and slow with her. i was making learning unfun....

id LOVE to get rightstart. but at 100.00 for the kits, its not doable....even tough i do believe its a PERFECT program for her.....

im so not sure what to do. can someone direct me.....

Use the Horizons 1 book as your guide and review the concepts in a fun way. Use counters, cheerios, etc... If you want worksheets, make your own (either search the web & print or just write them out on paper or a whiteboard). You don't need another program--use what you have in a creative way.

she just turned 5...i was putting off schooling itll she turned 5. Math-u-see....ill look into that right now....i wanted to change programs too cause the number line thing she never got out of horizons...i just didnt see it as teacher her the concept right....

Do you have the Hsing Instructor's Manual? They have tons of good ideas for games and things in there. That can help her really grasp the concepts.

Also:

http://www.math-drills.com/

http://www.donpotter.net/math.htm

http://www.mathprintables.net/

http://www.numbernut.com/basic/index.shtml

http://www.aaamath.com/grade2.html

http://systemath.com/index.php/Diagnosing-Subtraction/

http://www.mathnstuff.com/

These are what I have under my "favorites" for math. They should be free, for the most part :D

Oh, and I understand about not being able to afford what seems like the best program. Just remember, YOU can make whatever you're using a better fit for your daughter.

You might also want to check out MEP. It's free and fun.

I have the perfect math program for her, and it is NOT expensive at all. Rod and Staff. Honestly, their math is as good as their English. Get the 1st grade book (workbook style) and go through it as slowly as you need to go. You DO need the teacher's manual. Do ALL of the activities in it. You don't have to purchase the extras from R&S. You can easily make your own. I can almost guarantee that you will be happy with it. :001_smile:

For a child that is only 5, I would do living math with her. You can find lots of ideas from the living math site. You can get the math readers from the library. You can probably find Family Math at the library, too. If not, you could probably get it used somewhere inexpensively.

I tried a formal program with my oldest when she was 4. I knew that she could handle it academically but I didn't think about whether she could handle it emotionally. It was my greatest regret. I wish that I had heard of living math back then. It would have made things so much easier.

For a child that is only 5, I would do living math with her. You can find lots of ideas from the living math site. You can get the math readers from the library. You can probably find Family Math at the library, too. If not, you could probably get it used somewhere inexpensively.

I tried a formal program with my oldest when she was 4. I knew that she could handle it academically but I didn't think about whether she could handle it emotionally. It was my greatest regret. I wish that I had heard of living math back then. It would have made things so much easier.

Oooooh another nice site!

Thank you, this looks great :D

rodd and staff does look pretty good....

Just a warning, it is deceptive. Many people see it as just drill for memorization. It is not. The activities with the ducks and pond are very simple, but really foster understanding. The way the problems are set up (order wise) tend to have the children pick up patterns without being directly instructed in them. If you really pay attention as you go through the book, you will notice these little things. I must admit, it took me a while. I've been through these books quite a few times. Another plus is that they work for pretty much every learning style. It has been great for both my math minded and not mathy kids.

Just a caution again, DO the lesson as outlined in the TM. You can break it up into different time slots if it is too long. The actual lesson that the students do in the book is NOT going to teach them the material. At around the 4th grade book, this is much less true. For the first three years, the teaching time (before an after the student work time) is critical.

I am another Rod and Staff math user. I agree completely w/what PPs say about R&S. I had one Ker who went through the 1st grade book in regular time for her K year, and continues 1 year ahead in the math.

I tried to start it again w/my current 5 yr old this past year for K. (she is almost 6 and ready to start 1st now.) It did not go well. I never had her do all of the problems on a page. And I began stretching the lessons over 2 days early on. I would go over the lesson on day one, then we do part of the 1st wkbk page. The next day, I would review the lesson from the T.M the same as the day before (maybe a little more quickly) and we would do page 2 of the wkbk. It was still a daily struggle. It seemed to move too quickly into memorization of the facts and then jumped into subtraction when she was not ready. So when we hit subtraction and she was still trying to say the facts of addition and was getting so frustrated, I ended up putting it up.

I just wanted to tell you, so you know that it can still happen w/R&S. I just told myself that this book is truly aimed at 6 yr old 1st graders, and it is ok if my 5 yr old is not getting it in K.

I took time off and did more hands on math with her. I used lesson plans from Core Knowledge's online plans. They use a children's book and then give hands on games and things you can do. This went over much better at the time

http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_live_data/view.php?id=1833&record_id=168&p=2

Then I used a store K workbook for wksheets to go along with some of the lessons at times. The rest of the year, we used this wkbook, and just worked our way through the K math stuff. I did hands on demonstrations and let her use counting bears and things:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9nFLddG2V80C&printsec=frontcover&dq=everything+for+early+learning+grade+k&source=bl&ots=EkaVg8YEpB&sig=Uctg5YNVjxo_XURTCalv8lp4JBY&hl=en&ei=WO8QTNr1NYSANpmZifwC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

She had already completed most of the R&S ABC workbooks, but was still working in the last one, the Going on Eagerly, which is all K math skills too: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Preschool/

I recommend it for a Ker if you are going to order from them.

I also continued to have her practice her counting to 100, skip counting, etc. as laid out in R&S. Towards the end of the year, she asked for her "ducky math" (R&S.) She did much better in it that time. I think she will be ready to continue now for 1st grade after a summer break.

Just wanted to tell our story, and give other ideas.

I would look at teaching her the basics without worksheets. Teach her to count to 20, count out things with beans, spoons, etc. Count how many stuffies she has, organize the stuffies according to size, colour etc.

Make a store and have her purchase things with money. LIne up her toys and have her find the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Add pieces of her favourite fruit together. Add and subtract choc. chips. Learn how to write numbers on a large chalkboard or white board. Teach her to play simple card games and identify the # on the card. Play games with her and have her count spaces or moves.

You don't need to spend money to teach these concepts. All of these things are better taught through hands on activities. A child who has had these experiences will be able to go through gr. 1 math with no problems. There is enough time to do formal work later.

I wish I had done more of this and less workbook. That's what Rightstart is trying to communicate in part. Know the concept and the paper proof will come. Enjoy doing all of the preschool and kinder stuff that you can. You have a looong time to do the rest of homeschool.

HTH

Yep! I didn't use the Blacklines as I think those are simply extra worksheets and what we had in the book was plenty. I also just got flashcards from Walmart or someplace like that. I did make the duck pond thing, but just used materials at home for that. You can also order directly from Rod & Staff, but they don't have a website so you have to call them. I have a friend who always uses that website to order her materials though and has had no problems. A benefit to ordering directly from R&S is that you get 10% off if you order in the spring, but I'm pretty certain that sale is over now. I really hope you and your kids like this series!

Guest RecumbentHeart

You don't need to spend money to teach these concepts. All of these things are better taught through hands on activities. A child who has had these experiences will be able to go through gr. 1 math with no problems. There is enough time to do formal work later.

I wish I had done more of this and less workbook. That's what Rightstart is trying to communicate in part. Know the concept and the paper proof will come. Enjoy doing all of the preschool and kinder stuff that you can. You have a looong time to do the rest of homeschool.

HTH

I agree. Someone older and wiser told me early on that K could totally be done without spending money. Sometimes, we just want to spend money though, I guess. :)

I would look at teaching her the basics without worksheets. Teach her to count to 20, count out things with beans, spoons, etc. Count how many stuffies she has, organize the stuffies according to size, colour etc.

Make a store and have her purchase things with money. LIne up her toys and have her find the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Add pieces of her favourite fruit together. Add and subtract choc. chips. Learn how to write numbers on a large chalkboard or white board. Teach her to play simple card games and identify the # on the card. Play games with her and have her count spaces or moves.

HTH

:iagree:Don't spend money you don't have for something you don't need. Especially if you're dealing with a child that is already experiencing some burnout (??), so I assume isn't begging you for workbooks every day. Play some games, count things, practice skip counting, talk about numbers, bake... she'll get all the math she needs and then some from these fun, basic activities. There is nothing at all in K-2* math that can't be taught by discussion and playing a few games. Really.

If she does start asking for more seatwork, there are dozens of sites you can use to print off an occasional worksheet, or you can jot down numbers on paper and make your own.

*I do believe this is also true for grades higher than K-2, but that's the level I can personally speak to.

Do you have the Hsing Instructor's Manual? They have tons of good ideas for games and things in there. That can help her really grasp the concepts.

Also:

http://www.math-drills.com/

http://www.donpotter.net/math.htm

http://www.mathprintables.net/

http://www.numbernut.com/basic/index.shtml

http://www.aaamath.com/grade2.html

http://systemath.com/index.php/Diagnosing-Subtraction/

http://www.mathnstuff.com/

These are what I have under my "favorites" for math. They should be free, for the most part :D

Oh, and I understand about not being able to afford what seems like the best program. Just remember, YOU can make whatever you're using a better fit for your daughter.

You might also want to check out MEP. It's free and fun.

These are great!! Thanks!:001_smile:

she and i do well with books, i need to know what to do, what to give her ect. i need it layed out.....qand thats just us. i feel we went to far to fast in horizons. i really like the look of R&S i just need to find it at a great price..

Use the Horizons 1 book as your guide and review the concepts in a fun way. Use counters, cheerios, etc... If you want worksheets, make your own (either search the web & print or just write them out on paper or a whiteboard). You don't need another program--use what you have in a creative way.

:iagree::iagree:

Save your money for 1st grade material that you can use when she is 6.

HTH

:iagree: Save your money! or buy Beechick's 3R's and read the arithmetic section.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy another curriculum at this point. You have a good math program, so there really is no need to get something else. I would go through the book from the beginning (buy the workbooks again, if necessary), limit yourself to half a lesson a day and do fun things like cooking, counting all the red cars you see, and dividing 3 sandwiches among 4 people (or dolls), etc.

I know I just replied to your email that RS was totally worth it, but just last night I downloaded MEP, and it looks just great, and even fun! Most importantly, it looks super, super easy to teach. Even more importantly it is free!

I know buying new curriculum can be fun, but I've heard dozens of times on this forum that people love MEP and to not let the fact that it is free make you think it is any less worth a $100 program.

We just did 30 minutes of fun MEP work this afternoon, and I definitely can see us using this more.

Edited by Satori

Melissa, you should be able to find some books on math games at the library. Are you connected to a local homeschool group? I'll bet some veterans would have some math game books lying around that they'd sell you for $1-2. (I just picked up a couple last night!) I'd get something like that and PLAY the math. Then come back to math in the fall. It's amazing what a difference 4 months can make on maturity! Play math, draw in the sand for your writing, take nature walks, draw/craft, read to her while she plays. :)

BTW, nothing says math has to be in a workbook. My dd used to bring me paper and ask me to write her problems to solve. You can do them in the sand or on a whiteboard or chalkboard. It can be mental math while you cook. It can be games. Don't stress yourself out like this. Just have some fun for a couple months and come back to it. You'll be fine!

Edited by OhElizabeth

Guest RecumbentHeart
MEP looks amazing, but with no printer...its useless for us

There are online printers who can do it for you and send it to you for pretty decent prices .. of course .. you're either paying for your ink or theirs so it's not really free either way. A whole lot cheaper than other currics still though.

Chutes and Ladders is a terrific math game (it is really just a 100 board and you travel forward and backward on it). Monopoly Jr. is great too - it really teaches addition. Uno is great for number recognition. If you want to get complex, you can even play "War". Play games with her. Cook with her. In 6 months, look at where you are then decide what you need. Mark the date on your calendar for a math evaluation and promise to not look at it until then.

I second the recommendation of the Ruth Beechick book. It will help you to know what to do in K-3. You do have 2 great math programs already so it seems a shame to spend more $$ on another program. I found Horizons K was a good predecessor to Singapore 1A/1B. You can use the info on the Beechick book, Peggy Kaye's Games for Math, and Stuart Murphy's MathStart books to help you review the info in the first Horizons K workbook. The last two I found at the library after reading about them on the boards. My library doesn't carry the Beechick book but it is lacking in hs materials, so it might be at yours. You might also be able find Beechick's book used since SL recommends and sells it. There's got to be quite a few copies lying around.

If you are dead set on spending more $$ on curriculum, you should check out Singapore Essential Math. You'd probably get away with starting in the 2nd half of the programs (I almost guarantee it if your dd was ready for Horizons K) and it is less than $8. You could use it for the year along with some of those book I reccomended above and go either into the 2nd half of Horizons K or right into Singapore PM 1A.

Ruth Beechick's 3R's is a great resource to rest in. I highly recommend reading though this. It's short and simple and very sound advice. Also, consider buying the RightStart game book and the card sets. This way, you can use the RightStart approach and still keep it simple for your young child. She will learn sooo much through the math games!

i am considering and hoping to find the rightstart games and cards used, she LOVED playing 'games, so that might be a good start,...is the essentail math like the earlybird? we had that and it bored her...thats why i sold it...but maybe it will be more fun and she can build guidance. i wish i kept it!

what about barnes and noble....just pick up a simple book?

Chutes and Ladders is a terrific math game (it is really just a 100 board and you travel forward and backward on it). Monopoly Jr. is great too - it really teaches addition. Uno is great for number recognition. If you want to get complex, you can even play "War". Play games with her. Cook with her. In 6 months, look at where you are then decide what you need. Mark the date on your calendar for a math evaluation and promise to not look at it until then.

:iagree: Unless your dd is requesting workbooks I would go this direction for a while - the RS games too if you want. You won't ever have to worry about "overdoing" it with games and she will really learn a ton.

We preferred Essential Math to Earlybird but if Earlybird bored her I expect EM would too.

i am considering and hoping to find the rightstart games and cards used, she LOVED playing 'games, so that might be a good start,...is the essentail math like the earlybird? we had that and it bored her...thats why i sold it...but maybe it will be more fun and she can build guidance. i wish i kept it!

what about barnes and noble....just pick up a simple book?

We didn't like Earlybird at all, but like EM. They have samples up at www.singaporemath.com so you could see if she'd like it.

I would not stress formal math in K. AT ALL!!!

Family Math for Young Children - go check your library!

Do you have math manips lying around the house? Pull out 2-3 on the table and let her choose one to play with...insert mathy talk where non-intrusive.

My dc love messy things. Got a sandbox? Does she love baths? Let her play with some measuring cups/spoons and different sized/shaped containers. Use words like "larger/smaller, more/less than, add to/take away from, half of/times two, a third of/times three....."

Does she have blocks/building sets? This IS math!

Seriously, the real-life concrete stuff that play is made of is the CRUX of learning math. What good does it do a child to learn 2+2=4 if that same child cannot put it to use in the sandbox? ...and my dc are still young, but I highly suspect that these years in the sandbox are vital and fleeting all at the same time.

I highly suspect that these years in the sandbox are vital and fleeting all at the same time.

:iagree:

This is SOOOO true! Personally, we do have several math programs around. However, when dd asks to "do school" I let her choose. They are all in a bin together and she picks which one she wants to do. She is only four (this past March), and though she seems to be doing well with the books, we also work with manipulatives, counting, sorting, and patterning. I am in no rush. This time is very fleeting, and she learns a lot from helping me cook, bake, etc.

If you don't have $$ for another curriculum, but like it laid out, I agree with the Beechick books. Another that is laid out but not workbooky (is that even a word??) is the What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know book. It tells you all the things they need to know, and how to teach them. Then it is laid out (I like mine laid out, too!), but can be gotten from the library. Blessings on your journey!

There are tons of math card games; I can't imagine a 5-yr-old going beyond what's readily available for free (and a deck of cards):

http://www.makingmathmorefun.com/samples/Math%20Card%20Games%20Samples.pdf

http://childparenting.about.com/od/makeathomemathgames/Make_at_Home_Math_Games.htm

That's just a couple of example sites; there are tons more, plus plenty of non-card games. Board games are great as well.

I also second the idea of living math for this age. It is much more meaningful and fun, and there is really no reason a child of this age needs to have a formal math curriculum. I'd go with games, living math, fun books from the library, and, if you want more guidance, a math book for you from the library (about teaching elementary math).

For guidance, the Core Knowledge scope and sequence is online for free (all subjects, not just math):

http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/480/CKFSequence_Rev.pdf

and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but a great thing for this age is varied materials (sand, rice, beans, buttons, and of course water) with cups, spoons, and so forth to go with them. Don't try to teach or guide; just let her explore, and she will gain a sense of volume, measurements, etc.

I would not stress formal math in K. AT ALL!!!

Family Math for Young Children - go check your library!

Do you have math manips lying around the house? Pull out 2-3 on the table and let her choose one to play with...insert mathy talk where non-intrusive.

My dc love messy things. Got a sandbox? Does she love baths? Let her play with some measuring cups/spoons and different sized/shaped containers. Use words like "larger/smaller, more/less than, add to/take away from, half of/times two, a third of/times three....."

Does she have blocks/building sets? This IS math!

Seriously, the real-life concrete stuff that play is made of is the CRUX of learning math. What good does it do a child to learn 2+2=4 if that same child cannot put it to use in the sandbox? ...and my dc are still young, but I highly suspect that these years in the sandbox are vital and fleeting all at the same time.

:iagree:

Let her learn through playing, mama!! Don't worry about a formal math program at all at this point. It won't do either of you any good if you end up frustrated and in tears. There is a lot to be said for letting young ones play to learn, exploring their environment is monumental at this stage of the game. There will be no other time in her life for her to just "be", to just live and explore and love her family and play fairies and dress up and catch fireflies...math will still be there when she is six or seven and beyond!!

There are online printers who can do it for you and send it to you for pretty decent prices .. of course .. you're either paying for your ink or theirs so it's not really free either way. A whole lot cheaper than other currics still though.

Do you have a link?

MEP looks amazing, but with no printer...its useless for us

I had Staples print and bind Year 1a for about $24. Take out the binding and have it all double sided (I had the practice book single sided and the lesson plans double sided), it would be even cheaper. Just look at the posters online and make the cards yourself.

ETA: I did workbook binding not spiral binding.