Menu

S/O When did wearing tennis shoes without socks become a fashion statement?

I'm just wondering. I'll never be fashionable again if wearing shorts, socks and tennis shoes is unfashionable.

What about with jeans? If I wear jeans and socks with tennis shoes am I now a dork?

Yeah, yeah, I know I am a dork no matter what I wear. :lol::lol:

I noticed about 10 years ago that my extended family in florida only wore no show socks. They gave me and my kids funny looks because we were wearing low cut socks at the time. I took their lead and began buying no show socks for summer wear. However, I personally like to have my lower leg covered in the winter (we live in the mid-west) so I buy crew socks for winter jean wear.

I wear big cushy socks with my New Balance shoes (recommended by podiatrist....)...with shorts. All summer long.

This weekend, one neighbor was making fun of another, from a distance, because he is a geek - she said "look at him in his socks with shorts". DH and I both piped up "I wear socks with shorts !" "Me too !" I then said I think it's disgusting to wear athletic shoes without socks....Her DH (wearing tennis shoes without socks) said "you could get some of those socks that don't show....." :lol: :lol: :lol: So I guess our neighbors think we are sock geeks :tongue_smilie:

I only wear no show socks with my tennies when running or wearing shorts/capris. In winter however I either wear my colored wool socks or dh's white athletic socks. My jeans are long enough that no one would see it!

I do have to admit though I think it looks weird now to *see* socks on women wearing tennies and shorts/capris.

I only wear no show socks with my tennies when running or wearing shorts/capris. In winter however I either wear my colored wool socks or dh's white athletic socks. My jeans are long enough that no one would see it!

I do have to admit though I think it looks weird now to *see* socks on women wearing tennies and shorts/capris.

:iagree:

We call those socks shorties.

Personally I find the no-socks-with-tennis-thing a bit odd-looking. It makes your feet look HUGE, especially in shorts. Or maybe it's just that my feet ARE huge. I don't know.

I think so too.

And it is only with tennis shoes. Wearing shorts and boat shoes looks okay with out socks.

I always wear socks with my sneakers (I assume that's what everyone is referring to as tennis shoes?). Otherwise, the insole pulls up from bare feet sticking to it, they stink and I find it uncomfortable. If I want to go without socks in summer I wear very comfortable slides (sandels). I hate the no-show socks because they always slide down on me - I do have really big feet (9 1/2) so normal women's socks barely fit.

I have actually never noticed whether socks or no-socks is more common unless its dress shoes, black socks and shorts. That I notice.

Personally I find the no-socks-with-tennis-thing a bit odd-looking. It makes your feet look HUGE, especially in shorts. Or maybe it's just that my feet ARE huge. I don't know.

I used to think so. But, then I got a free pair of those socks that don't show. My legs look SOOOOO long in them!!! I love them now. I only wear sneakers when I work out though.

I'm just wondering. I'll never be fashionable again if wearing shorts, socks and tennis shoes is unfashionable.

What about with jeans? If I wear jeans and socks with tennis shoes am I now a dork?

You mean to tell me I'm finally in style? Yes! :lol:

My feet are hot so I rarely wear socks with my tennies, even in winter.

No way would I put my feet into my tennis shoes without socks. At least, I wouldn't do it twice! Whoever came up with that fashion statement must be a shoe manufacturer who had a beef with the sock manufacturers. I'd be buying new shoes a lot more often if there were no socks worn. Eww. But a great marketing strategy!

We wear short socks, but not the no-show ones. The no show ones get stretched out and fall down around my heel and that makes me rather crabby. So, we have the ones the next length up from those. If that's not cool, I'll ride it out till it comes back in style.

And why, exactly, are smelly feet fashionable?????? Because that is what you get when you wear shoes but no socks.

Oh no. You wear sneakers with your jeans???? :lol:

I'd hate to say it, but you would be considered a dork if you do this. I'm a dork for sooo many other reasons, but not sneakers with jeans. And certainly not Mom Jeans! :lol:

I've been told that jeans that come up to the waist are coming back in style. And I am soooooo grateful, because now I'll be able to buy jeans again. I truly hate feeling like my pants are falling down all the time. And really, how many people looked good in low-rise jeans anyway? All three of those people can keep wearing them, as far as I'm concerned.

I only wear tennis shoes if I'm working out.

:iagree: OMG, that! I recently did a blog post about how much I hate that America has become a land of sneaker/tennis shoes/gym shoe wearers. They are for the gym and sports, not every day wear! What happened to wearing nice shoes? They don't have to been heels (though I personally prefer them), but a nice shoe, not big, clunky gym shoes.

I'd hate to say it, but you would be considered a dork if you do this. I'm a dork for sooo many other reasons, but not sneakers with jeans. And certainly not Mom Jeans! :lol:

I wear sneakers and puffy white socks. I tried the no-show socks and they made my ankles itch. I have spent too much money with podiatrists and too much time in my life with my feet not working well to care anymore about appearance - I'm taking care of my footsies.

In the colder parts of the year (nine months around here), I also wear mom jeans (LL Bean still sells them and at least my crack doesn't show), and a fleece vest, which I have recently learned is also out of style. And, I carry the ugliest purse I have ever seen (but it works for me). I am a dork-mom.

I can't imagine wearing sneakers without socks - that makes my feet cringe just to consider it. Of course, I almost always have 2 pairs of socks on (though you can't tell) because my feet hate to be bare.

I suppose I'm really unfashionable... because I wear socks in my crocs. ;)

Can't help it - I hate. being. bare. feet.

...but I love crocs! They're pretty much the only shoes I can wear that don't hurt my feet within minutes.

Guess I'm WAY out of style then. I wear big, very un-cute tennis shoes with ankle height socks, with shorts, capris, AND my jeans. (If I wear anything else very often, I get severe foot pain) I also have yet to meet a pair of no show socks that don't end up wadded up somewhere near my toes after about ten minutes.

Oh, and I hope, hope, hope the low rise jeans don't go away!! I'm one of those 3 people that they fit better than the high rise.

I'd hate to say it, but you would be considered a dork if you do this. I'm a dork for sooo many other reasons, but not sneakers with jeans. And certainly not Mom Jeans! :lol:TE]

:001_huh:

I almost ALWAYS wear sneakers with jeans. Jeans are my life (but not Mom Jeans). How could I chase children and dogs in anything BUT sneakers?

Sure, I'll wear boots or heels with "nice" jeans, but sitting around the house? No, I will not be wearing nice shoes with my jeans and hoodies. :tongue_smilie:

What are you supposed to wear with jeans if not sneakers? I live in jeans and sneakers since I have to be able to move quick to chase the little guys. I do wear Uggs in the winter and black slides in the summer but those are probably not considered too fashionable either. :tongue_smilie:

I need to join the club that loves the low-rise jeans. I'm extremely short waisted so regular rise jeans come all the way up to the bottom of my bra - not a good look. Low rise jeans come to my waist.

I wear no-show socks with shorts or capris. If I am wearing jeans I wear regular socks.

What's driving me crazy is that my son is wearing black no-shows with his soccer slides. Ew, I hate that look.

What are you supposed to wear with jeans if not sneakers? I live in jeans and sneakers since I have to be able to move quick to chase the little guys. I do wear Uggs in the winter and black slides in the summer but those are probably not considered too fashionable either. :tongue_smilie:

I need to join the club that loves the low-rise jeans. I'm extremely short waisted so regular rise jeans come all the way up to the bottom of my bra - not a good look. Low rise jeans come to my waist.

Anything like these will do...

http://www.zappos.com/womens-born-shoes?zfcTest=navAndThumbs:0

To prove my dorkiness in other areas...I do not EVER wear socks unless I am out in knee deep snow. I also never wear sneakers, unless hiking or on a muddy field watching my kids play a sport (my sneakers are tan; more like a hiking shoe/sneaker). Can't.wear.white.sneakers. :lol:

Not at those prices they won't. ;)

Are clogs seriously back in fashion? I love clogs but they are totally impractical for chasing kids, as are most of those others - most non-lacing shoes fall off my feet if I move faster than a slow walk - which seems to be always these days, anything with a heel is definitely out (bad knees).

Oh I heard about 3 years ago that the higher waisted pants were supposed to be coming back into fashion. Haven't seen 'em yet...at least not where I live...and really...with the whole "mom jean" debacle I don't think there would be TOO high of demand for them but, I could be wrong. I love my low rise jeans (no too low though!)

I'm confused about what constitutes a "sneaker". So, would Converse hightops (without the heel :lol:) look stupid with jeans? How about Vans? I only wear gym shoes, aka running/walking shoes, with gym pants or if I'm walking the dog, but with jeans, would other tennis shoes be faux pas? (Please say no, because I live in those in the cooler months)

Tonight at DS1's Little League game, I paid special attention to people's footwear :lol:

Of the spectators that were there (not participating in a game as either a player or parent volunteer), about 80% were wearing sneakers (this includes all ages - adults, young kids, even teens). Of those wearing sneakers, almost all of those sneakers were white; and about 70% were wearing "old fashioned" socks - not sockless or no-show socks. Most of the socks were ankle height or crew socks folded down. I even saw teens (spectators, not players) wearing white sneakers and ankle socks. Almost everyone was in shorts. There was one dad in jeans with sneakers and socks. The rest of us sneakers and socks people were all in shorts or capri pants.

So, I guess that either a)I live in a town that is not very fashion-conscious, or b)the environment of a ballpark (lots of dust and gravel) makes people want the comfort and protection of athletic shoes and socks that cover the ankle.....anyhow, I fit in just fine ;)

Just a little pet peeve I need to air.

Why does most everyone refer to sneakers, running shoes, etc as tennis shoes?

Do you know how difficult it is to find real tennis shoes? In my region of the country we have to go to a tennis Pro shop or order them online. If I walk into a shoe store and ask for tennis shoes they look at me like "Are you blind? Can't you see them lining the wall?" When I ask for shoes for the tennis court (i.e. tennis shoes) no one carries them.

Okay - rant over.

---

I wear socks with my tennis shoes and with my sneakers.

I suppose I'm really unfashionable... because I wear socks in my crocs. ;)

Can't help it - I hate. being. bare. feet.

...but I love crocs! They're pretty much the only shoes I can wear that don't hurt my feet within minutes.

And when I do wear my sneakers I wear socks. I wear them with jeans too.

I never have been to up to date on fashion. I tried more when I was in high school and some in college. Now comfort rules. Call me a dork.

Just a little pet peeve I need to air.

Why does most everyone refer to sneakers, running shoes, etc as tennis shoes?

Do you know how difficult it is to find real tennis shoes? In my region of the country we have to go to a tennis Pro shop or order them online. If I walk into a shoe store and ask for tennis shoes they look at me like "Are you blind? Can't you see them lining the wall?" When I ask for shoes for the tennis court (i.e. tennis shoes) no one carries them.

Okay - rant over.

---

I wear socks with my tennis shoes and with my sneakers.

I imagine it must be pretty difficult. I don't think I've ever seen anything labeled tennis court shoes or even tennis shoes in the same way I see runners, walkers, cross-trainers labeled.

I think most people thing that the term tennis shoes are interchangeable with sneakers, running shoes, cross-trainers, athletics.

Tonight at DS1's Little League game, I paid special attention to people's footwear :lol:

Of the spectators that were there (not participating in a game as either a player or parent volunteer), about 80% were wearing sneakers (this includes all ages - adults, young kids, even teens). Of those wearing sneakers, almost all of those sneakers were white; and about 70% were wearing "old fashioned" socks - not sockless or no-show socks. Most of the socks were ankle height or crew socks folded down. I even saw teens (spectators, not players) wearing white sneakers and ankle socks. Almost everyone was in shorts. There was one dad in jeans with sneakers and socks. The rest of us sneakers and socks people were all in shorts or capri pants.

So, I guess that either a)I live in a town that is not very fashion-conscious, or b)the environment of a ballpark (lots of dust and gravel) makes people want the comfort and protection of athletic shoes and socks that cover the ankle.....anyhow, I fit in just fine ;)

Good to know. Sounds like most people are out of style and either don't know or don't care. :lol:

I'm confused about what constitutes a "sneaker". So, would Converse hightops (without the heel :lol:) look stupid with jeans? How about Vans? I only wear gym shoes, aka running/walking shoes, with gym pants or if I'm walking the dog, but with jeans, would other tennis shoes be faux pas? (Please say no, because I live in those in the cooler months)

According to my oldest, who is fully up on the height of fashion ;) - Converses, VANS and "fashion" sneakers - the brightly colored Nikes, etc. are acceptable to wear with jeans. The sneakers you wear to work out in should only be worn to work out.

She had to think about the sock thing - with capris or shorts it should definitely be no-show socks or sandels. With jeans, socks don't usually show unless your jeans are too short and that's a whole different faux pas. :D