Menu

Is there a "cure" for daydreaming in school?

This morning as I was watching my dd9 do her math, I noticed that she was staring out the window. I told her the tales from when I was in elementary school and spent most of my recesses writing "I will not daydream in class." on the blackboard. My ds had similar stories to tell. After that I light-heartedly threatened to buy a big chalk board to cure her from daydreaming.

It got me wondering if anyone had ever found a real cure for it or if a cure was even desirable. Thoughts? And was anyone else punished this way in school, and did it work for you? If you had to write sentences in school as punishment, do you make your kids write them now?

I don't think so. I've always been a daydreamer and my kids all are. My 7 year old daughter will even say, "I'm going to sit on the couch and watch the movie in my head." I'm not sure it is healthy, but what can I do?

I haven't found a cure. I always had high hopes that dd would grow out of it, but alas she has not. The natural consequence is that her work load doesn't change, no matter how long it takes her to get through it. There are some days when her lack of focus results in her working straight into the evening. Those days are torturous for us all, but at 13, I am not willing to let her off the hook.

I do not and will not ever use sentence writing as a punishment for anything. I don't ever want to associate writing with torture.

I sort of embrace the daydreaming. I think it's good for the brain. There are times, though, that I try to rein it in by not allowing schoolwork to be done in the bedrooms, setting time limits for the work, etc.

I just see it as a natural part of childhood and recognize that the school day might take longer because of it. As the kids get older they realize this, too, and are more motivated to stay on task.

Even though I'm not dealing with this yet, I think about it. I was a daydreamer in school. Big time. Still am. i get my best ideas this way... but i digress.

In my job, (i draft energy policy research = dull, dull and more dull) if I have difficulty concentrating or find myself daydreaming, I try to change something about my environment. I might turn off my office light, use the opposite side of my L shapped desk, or change surroundings entirely by moving into the library.

For Ds, I'm considering setting up an area with no distractions, no visual stimulus etc. for times when this potentially becomes a problem. This is not to punish ds and I would never frame it to him this way. I see it as helping him learn to manage himself.

Edited by Purpledaizy
clarity

Are you sure it's really daydreaming you're dealing with? I only ask because I have been "accused" of daydreaming my entire life, mostly because I'm a compulsive doodler. Even in my professional life. I once had a boss who told me she used to get annoyed with me because we would be in meetings and she would see me doodling away and assume I was daydreaming, and then would come up with the best solution or input of the day. She was dumbfounded.

Turns out that research shows that doodling actually helps with focus and concentration by using just enough of your brain to keep it from wandering off.

See this link for more information. http:// 7t97AqPDh1Fg9Cym-XXfFJezbY7DEzNL8ey49lD9Y7_RfPMGoVTZy_OWvY_Zgiud

Food for thought....

What helps here:

Work that is challenging but not too challenging

The natural consequence of having to work into the afternoon or on the weekend

No lunch until the work is done

Medication for the one diagnosed with ADHD

All that said, I do think that time to daydream or do nothing is very important.

I sort of embrace the daydreaming. I think it's good for the brain. There are times, though, that I try to rein it in by not allowing schoolwork to be done in the bedrooms, setting time limits for the work, etc.

I just see it as a natural part of childhood and recognize that the school day might take longer because of it. As the kids get older they realize this, too, and are more motivated to stay on task.

:iagree:Ds and I both love to run off in our heads. School takes longer because of it. We often discuss what is going on inside our heads and make something out of it. Today we started a modern day re-telling of Robin Hood after our reading of the Pyle version.

Are you sure it's really daydreaming you're dealing with? I only ask because I have been "accused" of daydreaming my entire life, mostly because I'm a compulsive doodler. Even in my professional life. I once had a boss who told me she used to get annoyed with me because we would be in meetings and she would see me doodling away and assume I was daydreaming, and then would come up with the best solution or input of the day. She was dumbfounded.

Turns out that research shows that doodling actually helps with focus and concentration by using just enough of your brain to keep it from wandering off.

See this link for more information. http:// 7t97AqPDh1Fg9Cym-XXfFJezbY7DEzNL8ey49lD9Y7_RfPMGoVTZy_OWvY_Zgiud

Food for thought....

I'm a chronic doodler too. It helps me think. The daydreaming, for me, is part of that. It's not disinterest, it's just the way my brain processes things.

There are days when I must be the adult and rein in it to an acceptable level, but I think daydreaming can be a source of great creativity.

When I see one of my kids daydreaming, I bop them on the head with a pencil (eraser end). It brings them out of it for a few minutes. It doesn't hurt them.

The only problem with this plan is one must be ever-vigilant for daydreaming. If it continues to be a problem for more than 2 pencil-bops, it's time to do something physical, like run races or dance to rock music, or switch to another subject that is presented differently (seat work, reading aloud, drawing/constructing/science experiments, discussions, and so forth), or do something else for awhile (run errands, go to the library).

For older kids, I set a timer and tell them to work on X subject for X number of minutes (we are up to 75 minutes without a break). It helps them to know that working on this subject will end. When they were younger, the time limit started out at 10 minutes.

Whatever method I have used, the work must be done, and if it extends into free time, oh well.

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm a daydreamer... always have been. Even now, in college, in honors class with a very high GPA, I'm a daydreamer. Can't help it. Nothing ever helped me when I was younger either. I'm also a doodler. My class notes are covered in doodles, and not very pretty ones at that! Somehow everything that needs to get through does.

I also write lengthy stories in my head while I'm doing other things, driving, cooking, sitting still for 2 seconds...

I think daydreaming is a sign of a healthy imagination, and I wouldn't do anything to discourage it unless it was seirously interrupting school work. In that case, I'd make sure to do plenty of interactive activities that forced my child to focus on the task at hand.

A lot of genius and creative breakthroughs have happened when people were "daydreaming"- including Einstein's. When the normal, conscious, linear, logical mind relaxes...inspiration can happen. I think its an important part of life and I wouldn't put a negative slant on it. Einstein reckoned imagination was more important than anything. For all those who think daydreaming is a bad thing- is that just because you were told so in class at school and never questioned it? Or is it really a considered opinion? It is probably every teacher's bane to have their students daydreaming rather than focusing, but that still doesnt make it all bad.

Daydreaming as a chronic habit when one is supposed to be doing schoolwork is probably a habit formed to escape the effort of focusing on schoolwork. And should be dealt with accordingly. I have started my son on coffee (he is 14 ) and that is helping him focus. I think gently bring a child's focus back to the work at hand is perfectly normal and reasonable.

But lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater! There is time in life for both, and even during schooltime, a bit of time for daydreaming may provide a "mental health moment" to allow the focused mind to take a break. I think Charlotte Mason was on the ball with her short lessons, to keep kids focused. Drifting off may be a sign of boredom or overload, and a change of subject might help.

I was a major daydreamer and procrastinator. The "work" we were assigned in school was ridiculously easy, so there was no incentive. Then one day towards the end of the school year, we had the opportunity to color some pictures for the incoming Kindergartners. I was the first one done with my work that day. The teacher was shocked. Maybe some incentive for being done with it all?

• 1 year later...
Guest akubas602

I would like to ask everybody a question, is everybody a common consumer of caffeine? I have noticed something when I consume caffeine, I become reliant on it. When I dont have it I start going into "withdrawals" if you will. By the second day I am just tired all day I dont ever feel like doing anything, and the third day is a headache all day long, but the fourth day I felt great I was alert all day, I had loads of energy and was very productive. If caffeine is the only common ground here this MAY be a solution to daydreaming and lack of ability to focus. Just post back on the forum what happened every day when you quit caffeine or if you dont at all.

Laura,

Would you elaborate please? The link doesn't seem to be working. Do you think it helps for boys who just can't sit still?

Thanks!

I asked Laura about this a few months ago, and she said this product is similar:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQ4Z7Q/

Ifind it works best on a heavy or solid chair. DD the Younger still ends up tipping her chair otherwise.

This thread is old, 2010, so the link may not work.

I asked Laura about this a few months ago, and she said this product is similar:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQ4Z7Q/

Ifind it works best on a heavy or solid chair. DD the Younger still ends up tipping her chair otherwise.

Thanks! When I googled this I ended up with things to stand on during exercise videos and I wasn't sure if it would work.

Gosh, I never really thought of daydreaming as a bad thing, unless it prevents you from doing things you need to do, of course. My husband was a daydreamer, and he accomplished more things than almost anyone I have ever known. I think his daydreaming helped his creative juices flow. I even think it is helping him in recovering from his stroke.

That being said, if your daughter has lots of creative thoughts running through her head, maybe an outlet like art or writing would be good?

I didn't read the replies, but here's what works for my older daughter:

When she's doing her math, she sets a timer to go off every 10 minutes. She's used to it now, so if she's diligently working, it doesn't disturb or distract her. She just resets it and continues working. If she's in her own world - the timer jolts her out of her reverie and brings her back to the Real World. ;)

We've tried many things... but this was the one that finally seemed to help her realize how often she zoned out. She doesn't use the timer as often as she used to, because she's gotten dramatically better about the daydreaming.

Gosh, I never really thought of daydreaming as a bad thing, unless it prevents you from doing things you need to do, of course.

If daydreaming means losing focus during school, and tasks take three times as long as they could, then it gets in the way of the things that the whole family needs to do. I'm all for daydreaming, but tasks need to be completed too.

Laura

Another daydreamer here. Some of the best thinking happens during this time. I think it's important for daydreamers to be able to daydream. I did a lot of that in school because the work was easy and didn't need my attention - teachers probably assumed the opposite. :glare: I'd suggest making sure that the work is challenging enough to require her full attention. It might also help to give her an area to work with as few distractions as possible. But I'm not sure if any of this is at all helpful.

graduation cured me of daydreaming in school. Now, what will cure me of daydreaming in life?

:lol: I fear this will be my downfall! ds and I will be side by side, daydreaming the day away!

I don't daydream. When I am thinking about really important things, deep thoughts and trying to problem solve then I will stare off into space. But please don't confuse my important thinking with daydreaming. ;)

I know that these are old quotes but they still amused me none-the-less.

Yesterday took me seven hours to clean the kitchen because I kept sneaking off to check facebook, the newest equivalent to daydreaming. Same as with my daughter i suppose when it takes her an hour to write two sentences. It didn't really interfere with something we needed to do, and I suppose she was thinking some cool stuff.