Menu

If your kid loves Percy Jackson, then s/he will love...

MelanieM

My kids are really enjoying the first Percy Jackson book and we plan to read through the entire series. I also see that Rick Riordan has a new book out about the Egyptian Gods (yay!) so I've added that to my list as well.

Does anyone have recommendations for other books that have a similar educational adventure mix?

Ds highly recommends the new Rick Riordan one. He got it a few days ago & said it was great.

Have you tried "Time Cat" by Lloyd Alexander?

The "Good Times Travel Agency" books by Linda Bailey are a lot of fun. (However, they are comic style books, not chapter books.)

Ds highly recommends the new Rick Riordan one. He got it a few days ago & said it was great.

Have you tried "Time Cat" by Lloyd Alexander?

The "Good Times Travel Agency" books by Linda Bailey are a lot of fun. (However, they are comic style books, not chapter books.)

Wonderful suggestions, thank you! I think Time Cat will be fun for us to read together, and my daughter will likely enjoy the Good Times... series. :D

I am :bigear:. Emily also loves the You Wouldn't Want to Be... series and the "not so educational" How to Train Your Dragon

Oh, we love the You Wouldn't Want to Be... books! Along those lines, there's a series of books featuring one hundred jobs for a particular time period. We loved Pharoahs and Foot Soldiers, and it was probably one of our favourite books from our Ancient Egypt round. I just got the Ancient Aztec and Maya book from the library and hope to start it this week.

The kids went to see the How to Train Your Dragon movie and really enjoyed it. I hear it's nothing like the book, which is actually even more incentive to read it! Thanks for reminding me to add that to our list. :)

Oh, we love the You Wouldn't Want to Be... books! Along those lines, there's a series of books featuring one hundred jobs for a particular time period. We loved Pharoahs and Foot Soldiers, and it was probably one of our favourite books from our Ancient Egypt round. I just got the Ancient Aztec and Maya book from the library and hope to start it this week.
Thanks for the recs!

Artemis Fowl.

I am on the last book in the Percy Jackson series. I love it too!:D I have seen Artemis Fowl recommended for Percy Jackson lovers. Could you give us an idea why?

Well, I didn't read Artemis Fowl, but the story line is about a boy who is a very young genius/criminal mastermind. Of course, there is an element of fantasy (fairies, if I remember correctly from what my son said about the first book...and a whole "other world" type deal). Like I said, I didn't read it myself, but my boy who loved Charlie Bone and Percy Jackson also love Artemis Fowl. The reading level is a bit harder in Artemis as compared to Percy. Artemis averages a 6th grade reading level with a Lexile measure that ranges between 500 and 830; whereas Percy Jackson averages a 4th grade reading level and Lexile levels around 600-650. There is a big difference and I only mention that because my older son noticed a huge difference and remarked about it to me.

I love the Artemis Fowl books! The characters are fabulous and have a lot of depth, and the stories are extremely well written. I haven't read them to the kids yet but I do own most of the series and we will read them together when I'm ready to go through again.

I've seen Charlie Bone recommended before as well and have been meaning to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion, Rebecca!

Ds loved Percy J. He is now reading Gregor the Overlander series.
This, and Fablehaven are the first series that pop to mind.

My 8 year old son isn't a big reader, but he hasn't put down the Red Pyramid since it came in. The only other fiction books he read on his own without prompting were the Percy Jackson books and the 39 Clue books. My 11 and 10 year olds are also big Percy/Pyramid fans and they loved Erin Hunter's Warrior books. If you like Christian fiction, they both highly recommend the Hunter Brown series.

For Mother's Day DH took the boys to the bookstore to buy me books (standard mom gift here). DS9 chose the new Riordan, assuring DH I would love it (I did like the Percy Jackson series). I had scarcely opened it when DS said, "Are you going to read it right now? Could you finish it fast so I can read it? If you aren't going to start it right now, can I?" DH was a bit annoyed at what turned out to be a self-serving gift, but I just laughed.

My daughter loved the Percy Jackson series. While waiting for our turn with the Red Pyramid (long waiting list at the library), she's reading the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson. I don't know that it's educational, but she thinks it's funny and has read through nearly all three books in a week.

• 3 weeks later...

I have another recommendation to add to this thread: George's Secret Key to the Universe We all *loved* it and are about to start the sequel, George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt, tomorrow. The kids are extremely excited!

We're also just about to start Time Cat, and are enjoying two of the Good Times Travel Agency books we have checked out from the library. Thanks again for those recommendations, Stacia! :D

I just realized that I didn't take note of your children's ages, but here are a few books and series that my girls have been inhaling lately:

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

The Mysterious Benedict Society series

The 39 Clues series - also by Rick Riordan

Peter Pan <-- I HIGHLY recommend this version - it is stunningly beautiful - simply captivating to read!!

Peter Pan in Scarlet

We're also just about to start Time Cat, and are enjoying two of the Good Times Travel Agency books we have checked out from the library. Thanks again for those recommendations, Stacia! :D

You're welcome! :001_smile: Hope you enjoy the books!

Well, I didn't read Artemis Fowl, but the story line is about a boy who is a very young genius/criminal mastermind. Of course, there is an element of fantasy (fairies, if I remember correctly from what my son said about the first book...and a whole "other world" type deal). Like I said, I didn't read it myself, but my boy who loved Charlie Bone and Percy Jackson also love Artemis Fowl. The reading level is a bit harder in Artemis as compared to Percy. Artemis averages a 6th grade reading level with a Lexile measure that ranges between 500 and 830; whereas Percy Jackson averages a 4th grade reading level and Lexile levels around 600-650. There is a big difference and I only mention that because my older son noticed a huge difference and remarked about it to me.

wow - I didn't realize Percy was so low. I have to start looking these things up. I was hoping to save Percy until after we did Greeks and Romans again next year, but ..... anyway.

I highly recommend Fablehaven, too. I have read them all and loved them. I hope to get my girls to read them, especially the one who likes Spiderwick so much, but I'm not sure how she will feel when she sees how thick they are. :) She is funny about that.

I have also been enjoying The Mysterious Benedict Society books. I'm on the second one, and they are great.

I inhaled Percy Jackson (4th grade reading level and all) and loved them. I also really enjoyed The Red Pyramid, and probably should have waited until more of the books were out, because I'm not excited about waiting until the next one. :D

Another series I've enjoyed is PB Kerr's Children of the Lamp. They are fun to read. Also, I liked Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. Neither of these is probably educational, but if they are into fantasy, they are good.

I have read a couple of the Artemis Fowl books, and liked those too.

I have also recently enjoyed Michael Scott's "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series. They are fun and interesting. Historical figures are mentioned in a fantasy setting, and I was inspired to look up more info on them.

I could go on... I love to read fantasy and most of the good stuff is in the kids' books. But here's what I thought of off the top of my head.

has enjoyed 100 Cupboards which is the beginning of a trilogy by N.D. Wilson. The second in the series is called Dandilion Fire.

He has also read The City of Ember , another series with 4 books, and another series called Landon Snow with five books.

There are some good rec is this thread.

I have another recommendation to add to this thread: George's Secret Key to the Universe We all *loved* it and are about to start the sequel, George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt, tomorrow. The kids are extremely excited!

Ohh! I didn't know there was a sequel. Thanks!

Also, I liked Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. Neither of these is probably educational, but if they are into fantasy, they are good.

I own these, and they're awesome! However, this reminds me that I've not read the third book yet! I must have gotten distracted by something else along the way and forgot about it... yay for good books waiting to be read! Thanks for reminding me. :D

I could go on... I love to read fantasy and most of the good stuff is in the kids' books.

I completely agree! It's my favourite genre.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'm excited about my... er, I mean the kids... reading list. :lol:

I second the Bartimaeus trilogy and the Gregor series. I especially adore Suzanne Collins's work. I'm personally less keen on Artemis Fowl or the Benedict Society, but I can see why kids love them. Also, I've read Riorden's new one - The Red Pyramid - and I was pretty disappointed. Lagging action in the middle and two voices that simply were not differentiated at all. I loved Percy Jackson, but it made me feel like he was a one note author.

Also, no one has mentioned Diana Wynne Jones. Her work is wonderful. I think some of it would appeal to kids who liked Percy Jackson because it's very clever and fun. Also, maybe Cornelia Funke's work - especially Dragonrider.

Two slightly more out there suggestions - Madeline L'Engle, because every kid should have an opportunity to encounter A Wrinkle in Time if they haven't yet. Also, Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider novels. These aren't super well known here in the US, but are crazy popular in the UK. They're about a teenage spy. Very action oriented, obviously, and also fun.

Madeline L'Engle is wonderful. She has two sagas for children; The Time Quartet, consisting of A Wrinkle In Time, A Wind in the Door, Many Waters and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Planet is the darkest of the four, with a struggle to avert a nuclear holocaust. There are more books about the Murray/O'Keefe family, but I would say they were for teens, not children. Her other saga involves the Austin family, beginning with Meet the Austins. The Austin family books are divided between books that are appropriate for children and those that are better for teens.

I also loved, and highly recommend, The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy mentioned earlier. They are completely appropriate for children; my 7 yo loved them.

I also really enjoyed The Red Pyramid, and probably should have waited until more of the books were out, because I'm not excited about waiting until the next one. :D

I'm just about to start this one. My son loved Percy Jackson and told me I "HAD" to read them. I was hooked after chapter 1 of the first book. I was very excited to see that The Red Pyramid will be a series. When I had first heard about it, it was planned as a single book. Now I can't wait to read it.

Recently my son has found The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'Lacey I haven't read them but he is loving the first one The Fire Within I recently learned of the Dragons of Wayward Crescent series which I guess are supposed to be somewhat prequels for a lower reading leve than The Last Dragon Chronicles so I bought the first two which are the only ones currently available in the US to use as read alouds for the whole crowd. I guess we'll see how we like them over the summer.

But both my boys went through a phase when they absolutely adored the Redwall series. It has a vaguely medieval setting and is adventurous. All the characters are animals but it's not for little kids - the reading level is higher than the Rick Riordan, I would say, and the books are longer.

Laura

• 1 year later...

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to add the recommendation for the Theodosia Throckmorton series by R.L. LaFevers. My DD, who :001_wub: the Percy Jackson books has been eating up the Theodosia ones recently.
This, and the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson.

The latest Riordan release Throne of Fire is a great sequel to the Red Pyramid. Plus The Lost Hero is probably my favorite. It's not a Percy Jackson sequel, but it's a continuation of the Heroes of Olympus series.

Also Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series is wonderful. Ds is reading them now, after I devoured them earlier this year.

Alex Rider is a favorite here too. The last book was recently released, Scorpia Rising, it is also excellent. The reading level is higher than Percy Jackson and the books are a little more tense action wise, but also excellent.

Trying to fill in time between new Rick Riordan releases, my son was trolling the library and discovered "Catligula," "Die, Clawdius," and "Spartapuss." They are a full of feline puns as the titles suggest, but they got him so interested in the real Spartacus that he ran off to start a research project!

He also ended up really enjoying The Thief Lord (Cornelia Funke-- the Inkheart author), which gave a great description of the canals in Italy, and got him to look up who Scipio really was.

Jen

Crimson Wife, thank you for bringing up this thread. Somehow I missed this last week.

Percy Jackson books have small font, so I borrowed all the audiobooks from the library and DD thoroughly enjoyed listening to them. I have to admit that I first listened to them last year by myself and loved it. I tried Red Pyramid with DD last year but found the kids to be snarky and thought that Percy Jackson and his sidekicks had better manners.

The font of 39 Clues is small as well, but our library has all the audiobooks and again DD has loved them. The two main characters are decent kids and the sister is kind and tolerant, unlike the sister in Red Pyramid.

After listening to the Percy Jackson series, DD read most of Famous Men of Greece and D'Aulaire's Greek Myths on her own, so I have to credit Rick Riordan for that.

I second the recommendation for the Hawking books - George & the Secret Key to the Universe, etc.

Also wanted to recommend Dave Barry's prequels to Peter Pan. We're reading Peter and the Starcatchers right now, and enjoying it immensely! We were happy to note there are several more, and we plan to finish it off by reading the original Peter Pan, either this version, or this one (one of our favorite illustrators.)

My son is also enjoying Red Pyramid, after having read the PJ series. And he's thinking of reading the Heroes of Olympus series.

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to add the recommendation for the Theodosia Throckmorton series by R.L. LaFevers. My DD, who :001_wub: the Percy Jackson books has been eating up the Theodosia ones recently.

I'm so glad you bumped this up! My daughter has been on a reading frenzy this past 6 mos with over 150 books under her belt year to date, including most of Artemis Fowl, Charlie Bone, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, the Warrior series, the Chrestomancy series from Dianna Wynne Jones, Narnia... I really needed this reminder of some other books to put on our library list.

She's also been enjoying The Royal Diaries series, if anyone is looking for an historical fiction series for girls. I've found it interesting how many times she's commented on something random that relates to the historical figures she's been exposed to from these books.

The latest Riordan release Throne of Fire is a great sequel to the Red Pyramid. Plus The Lost Hero is probably my favorite. It's not a Percy Jackson sequel, but it's a continuation of the Heroes of Olympus series.

We just read this one and really enjoyed it. It's kind of sequel because it does pick up where The Last Olympian left off and I think with the next book The Son of Neptune we are going to see Percy again. A book like this with new main characters in Percy Jackon's world could have been a disaster but we were instantly pulled in.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Animorphs series but I may have missed it. My son (9 going on 10) just loves these and I find them interesting too. Between this series and Ga'hoole my son has taken quite an interest in birds.

:Dcan't wait to check into some of these books-have been looking for some to get kiddo back excited about reading-he can read chapter books but gets overwhelmed when they are very long ones....hope these can jump start it again......COOL!!!

A recommendation for a younger adventure series, written by the author of Peter and the Starcatchers - Neverland Books (only 3 and you may need buy the third used). The first two are only $4 on Amazon now!

I love this thread, and am so glad that people keep adding to it. My son loves to read, and has read the Percy Jackson series a few times. He has also enjoyed many of the books that have already been listed, but now I will have to check out some that we hadn't heard of before.

I have one more series to add...The Atherton Series by Patrick Carman. They include Atherton, Rivers of Fire, and The House of Power. Not all of his books are age appropriate for younger readers, but this series is family friendly.

Happy Reading!