Menu

Homeschool or Home school?

We are doing Spelling Power Group 39 today. It is words used together but are spelled separately. They have "home school" on the list. I always spell it as one word. They have a little note saying that they have chosen the two world compound because it is consistent with other similar compound words, ie high school, grade school, private school, etc.

Do you spell it as one word too? I am not sure I can break myself of this habit! :tongue_smilie:

As a concept becomes more common, as homeschooling has, the name for it tends to merge from two words into one word. So you will see more formal, older, or "outside" sources using two words, while most homeschoolers use one. Eventually, everyone will use one word.

You can treat this as a fun English lesson for your kiddos!

Guest Katia

I write is as one word: homeschool

Because....my home and school are one / they are not separated or hyphenated, but integrated

................we are not a public 'high school' or a 'private school' nor to we conform to their practices in any way, so our type of schooling does not need to conform to the way their names are written

I write is as one word: homeschool

Because....my home and school are one / they are not separated or hyphenated, but integrated

................we are not a public 'high school' or a 'private school' nor to we conform to their practices in any way, so our type of schooling does not need to conform to the way their names are written

Ooh! I like it!

We are doing Spelling Power Group 39 today. It is words used together but are spelled separately. They have "home school" on the list. I always spell it as one word. They have a little note saying that they have chosen the two world compound because it is consistent with other similar compound words, ie high school, grade school, private school, etc.

Do you spell it as one word too? I am not sure I can break myself of this habit! :tongue_smilie:

LOL I hate that list!:001_huh: I struggled with that also! I spell it homeschool. I tried the other way, its just not right IMO! I see where they are coming from- but to me its homeschool!!!! :D

I'm with you, Mary. One word....homeschool!

I use both, but use the one word version most often.

If I'm using it as a verb or with a suffix attached, I use the one word version. Examples: We homeschool. Homeschoolers are awesome. Homeschooling is wonderful.

However, if I'm using it as a noun, I split it into two words. Example: In our home school, we use a variety of curricula.

I don't know why I do it that way. I just do.