Menu

What curricula have you tried that you LOVE??

• First Language Lessons (FLL) - We both love this program. I always give my dd the choice of which subject to being with and she usually picks this. She is getting such a firm grasp of grammar. I love this curriculum so much! I do have to say that this is the only grammar curriculum we have tried but I don't feel any need to even look at another program.

• Writing With Ease (WWE) - Another hit! The dictations can be challenging for dd sometimes, but I like to think its because her brain is working so hard.:lol: We are soon to begin WWE3.

• Math-U-See (MUS) - I hate the name, but love the curriculum. We tried so many math programs (Saxon, Singapore, MCP) and this was the one that finally stuck. We may switch to something else when she gets to higher level maths, but for now, we aren't going anywhere els.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLE Math, LA & Reading

Meaningful Composition

Explode the Code

Biblioplan - but Mystery of History even more

BJU Life Science for my oldest

and God's Design for Science

Basically, everything we have used this year...

We also loved Weaver for 5 years, but I am glad that I switched.

I love Latin for Children. I bought the whole set: DVD/CDs, Lesson book, Answer key, Activity Book and Reader. Using the DVD it is very easy for me to teach and the whole thing seems like it was written specifically for my ds. He loves "How the West was Unus" on the DVD and the puzzles in the Activity books, and he loves anything history related so he likes the Reader. While listenting to the chant CD he marches around the kitchen and acts out the words, and then randomly throughout the day he also goes around chanting the chants from the CD just to make noise:001_smile:.

The only way this program could be better suited for my ds is if there were a little more space for answers on the workbook pages.

Favorites

Math U See

IEW's SWI courses

Apologia

Story of the World 1-4

All About Spelling

Anything put out by Drive Thru History!

Things I have reviewed and will be using next year (or the year after lol) that I personally am in love with and hope my kids will be too

Literary Lessons from LOTR

LLATL

Lightning Literature

Notgrass history series

analytical grammar

Edited by skissugar

almost everything that was on the hate thread---i love! :tongue_smilie:

i always want to know WHY someone loves or hates something. now thats telling me something there!

it could have just been that was the year they had to take care of their feeble in laws, the dad was outta work for 3 months and there were 3 kids under 6 in the house to boot...nuttin really gonna work well that yr!

or it was the law of 3s---to teach a kid to read, u have 2 try 3 diff phonic programs and by thetime u get to the 3rd, his brain clicks in and he reads, voila. wasnt the program being great nor the others being bad...the kid just needed time to get there lol

Another one we loved was Apologia Astronomy. We spent a semester doing it when ds was in 2nd grade. He's been interested in Astronomy since he was about 4 and at that time it was probably the only book on Astronomy written on a level he could understand that contained information he didn't already know. We orally answered the comprehension questions but did not "notebook". We also did most of the experiments and projects; they were really great and we had a lot of fun.

The other Apologia elementary science books have just been too much information on topics we weren't that interested in, but Astronomy was the right thing at the right time for us. We're doing Botany right now and it's good, too, but we're not as interested in plants as we are Astronomy.

This is always so tough for me because I have such different children all who started homeschooling at different stages so while I love some things I used with my youngest, I never used them with my other kids - so would they work universally? I have no idea.

But the few I adore..

Life of Fred math - working for both my decent in math oldest and my gifted in math middle dd

Omnibus - We are so enjoying this approach. The thoughts and discussions it spawns are just wonderful.

Classical Writing - using 3 different levels right now - and am very pleased with the outcome I'm seeing in high school

Phonics Road - this is one I adore and is absolutely perfect for my youngest. But I never used it with my older 2 and she's very different from them so while it's a favorite, I don't have multi-children experience with it.

VP history - history can be as much or as little as you want. I love the memory work and the cards. We are now using the self-paced course with the youngest. I have used them differently with each child but the framework works with so many different kinds of kids.

Heather

Anybody notice there aren't many science programs on this list? I love science and I still can't find anything worthy of a 'we love this' list.

Heather

I finally gave up and started to piece together my own based suggestions of posters I really like. It would have been nice to find a program that had the balance (hands on and lots of books) I was looking for.

Peak With Books

SOTW

Young Discoverers Series

BFSU

Let's Read and Find Out Science series

Tanglewood Curriculum (the framework for my curriculum planning)

If Tanglewood's website ever gets taken down, I'm going to cry :blushing::sad:

I was not familiar with Tanglewood Curriculum. Thank you for mentioning it. It looks wonderful!!!

What is FIAR? I know its five in a row, but what is five in a row?

)

Five in A Row basically consists of several manuals giving guidelines for week long unit studies based on WONDERFUL picture book classics. Ideally, you read the story five days in a row and each day discuss a related topic for one subject. (Ie: read it, then learn a little about the geography where it took place on Monday, then on Tuesday re-read it and discuss some language arts topics relevant to the writing such as vocab, etc). It is intended for ages 4-8, but has a preschool and a "beyond" segment.

1. Queen's Language Lessons

2. Books- just reading and reading and reading- I love Sonlight and Lifetime Books and Gifts. I buy from Sonlight every year to make up for using their catalog as a library list.

I've had success with lots of things and my kids have enjoyed different things but there is nothing that compares to just reading on the couch together- nothing!!!

:)

Here goes:

MCTLA

TOG

History Odyssey (qualifier: Middle Ages Level Two)

Singapore Math

Dr. Daves (Science - RFWP)

Keepers of the Flame (RFWP)

T.A.C.K.L.E. Thursdays (RFWP)

Spelling - Phonetic Zoo (We all love this)

CLAA Grammar (please no tomatoes)

And just 'our thing'........we love read alouds. Not having tv, we search the library for great read alouds. Right now, we are doing The Hobbit. We do 'twaddle' (infrequently), but mostly I select works that perhaps the twins are not ready to read on their own but it would be great for them to hear and perhaps dd11 is already juggling two other books.

Anybody notice there aren't many science programs on this list? I love science and I still can't find anything worthy of a 'we love this' list.

Heather

I absolutely LOVE Apologia Science:001_wub:! Young Explorers series and the higher levels!!!!! (I know there are both alot who like this and alot who hate this but I LOVE it!!)

Love:

ETC

Zaner Bloser Handwriting

Phonics Pathways

RS4K

The Elements by McHenry

The Story of Science

Oak Meadow (too early to give a solid answer- I have never used a full year- BUT I believe that I am finally ready to love this program) I'm in love with it right now...:lol:

Artistic Pursuits

LLATL Blue for K, and Red for first/second

FIAR

LOF

Cuisenaire rods- tanagrams--*(okay, not actually curricula but YKWIM) ;)

Singapore Pre-K math

CSMP

SL Booklists

AO Booklists

Believe I am going to love:

Lightning Literature

MCT Grammar

Love/ hate:

IEW

TT

SL and SL LA

I am sure there is more...:o

Edited by lovemykids

Minimus Latin

Latin for Children

Latin Prep (I adore this curriculum!!) - for middle schoolers & up

Story of the World (and especially the Activity Guides)

Michael Clay Thompson - "Town" books. "Call me Fishmeal......"

Life of Fred

Right Start Math

Singapore Math (but only after you run out of Right Start stuff!!)

"The Elements" and "Carbon Chemistry" by McHenry

Real Science 4 Kids - Physics Level 1, Chemistry Level 1

Growing with Grammar

Artistic Pursuits

Music Ace Deluxe (does this count as curriculum? :lol:)

I'm sure there is more.

Julie

Winter Promise

Moving with Math (it took a while to figure out, but once I did, it's great)

MFW K

Draw Write Now

Time Travelers from Homeschool in the Woods

Journey Through Learning Lapbooks and Unit Studies

Rosetta Stone

Easy Grammar

Mead Handwriting resources you can buy in Walmart or Staples, etc.

4th, 2nd and K:

MUS - love all 3 levels - dd had major issues with math until this year

Total Language Plus (TLP) - Not so much Pippi but Shiloh!

Sing Spell Read Write

Explode the Code/Beyond the Code

lapbooking

I really wanted to love Beautiful Feet but didn't really work well with my boys - looking at MOH for next year - any feedback?

SOTW (we'll be starting 4 next year)

Modern History through Canadian Eyes

WWE (we used 1-3)

MCT (we're using Town level)

Spelling Power

Marilyn Burns Teaching Arithmetic series by Math Solutions Publications

Latin for Children

GEMS Guides

TOPS learning systems

some AIMS guides

• 2 weeks later...
Guest home4ed

We have loved using Mystery of History this year and Beutiful Feet Guides World History through Science and American History. I really like Notgrass American History last year for my 9th grader.

Soon to be down to 2 at home!