Menu

s/o: Sweaty Armpits: a hypothetical situation

Let's just suppose that someone showers daily, with soap and hot water and dresses in clean laundered clothing. Let's say that this woman is allergic/sensitive to many fragrances so has to be careful what products to use. Let's suppose that that person (a woman) scrubs her shaved armpits with Brillo-type intensity with Dial soap. But moments later her pits smell like Dial scented sweat. What would you suggest? (BTW - this person has many friends who do not seem to be avoiding her.) This person uses deodorant but not antiperspirants because of not wanting to mess with the body's natural processes.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Is the person just trying to avoid wetness? If so, I don't think there is anything that person can do without antiperspirant. Well there is (botox or surgery) but that is in extreme cases where antiperspirant does not work.

I would also avoid caffeine, garlic, onions and alcohol since they can sometimes stimulate sweating.

It sounds like you are one of those people who sweat a lot. I am one of them. My dad is the same way while my mom never sweats. From my experience, it's nothing you are doing, and it is just our lot in life. Many people who do not sweat much cannot understand overactive sweat glands.

I even sweat in the winter/when I'm cold if I am nervous or around people.

Rubbing alcohol works wonders. Washing and then using alcohol eliminates the need for deoderant and anti-perspirant. Dh hasn't used deoderant for years--only alcohol. I use it a lot too. Evidently, the alcohol kills the odor-causing bacteria. However it works, it works. Even when dh works outside on the farm, he is fine.

Just be careful using it soon after shaving :blink: (ouch)

My mom's doctor told her to get an anti-bacterial liquid that she puts on her underarms before applying deodorant. It's the bacteria formed by sweating that creates b.o., so the anti-bacterial takes care of that. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a clear liquid that is mostly used in hospitals. When she goes to the pharmacy to buy it, she has to ask for it because it's stored in the back, but she doesn't need a prescription.

Rubbing alcohol works wonders. Washing and then using alcohol eliminates the need for deoderant and anti-perspirant. Dh hasn't used deoderant for years--only alcohol. I use it a lot too. Evidently, the alcohol kills the odor-causing bacteria. However it works, it works. Even when dh works outside on the farm, he is fine.

I was going to suggest this.

A couple of suggestions, all of which I have seen work. Baking soda and cornstarch under the armpits, swab armpits with witch hazel or listerine. You can even treat those areas of clothing with these items. And my personal favorite is to dap musk oil under the arm pits. It does not interfer with sweating but when you do sweat is has the very fine aroma of musk oil (perfume) which if you like is very nice. It seems to mix with you natural smell and phermones and makes for a very attractive smell. You will have total strangers come up to you on the street and tell you how good you smell and ask you what you wear and it does stick with you. Whenever my hubby smell that smeel her thinks of me twenty years later even though I haven't done that in years.

Thanks for this tip. I get irritated by almost all brands of anti-perspirant avilable here. I am using the last one I can. I can't find any deodarant where I live. Baking soda doesn't work well enough. I am trying rubbing alcohol.

Agreeing with rubbing alcohol though it can be drying.

This hypothetical person might find it useful to know this tip. If you are out in public and suffering from said problem, a quick trip to the bathroom and some antibacterial hand gel works WONDERS. :D

It sounds like you are one of those people who sweat a lot. I am one of them. My dad is the same way while my mom never sweats. From my experience, it's nothing you are doing, and it is just our lot in life. Many people who do not sweat much cannot understand overactive sweat glands.

I even sweat in the winter/when I'm cold if I am nervous or around people.

This was me. I suffer from a mild case of hyperhidrosis. The only thing that has works for me is Driclor, which I now only have to apply once a week ( sometimes less).

I have almost become used to the sting, after applying it to freshly shaven underarms.:D

Did you read the posts lately about homemade deoderant? I use the one made with baking soda, cornstarch, and coconut oil. I live in east Texas so it is hot and humid. Even when I work out in the yard I have no problems with odor. Coconut oil has natural antibacterial qualities and is great for your skin. The virgin oil is better for your skin, has better antibacterial qualities, and has a light coconut scent but you can use the deodorized, processed oil as well.

;) If smell, have said person try this or just try baking soda mixed with cornstarch or arrowroot powder.

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/03/update-homemade-deoderant.html

Both of the above work better for me than any natural deoderant I have paid too much for.

If it's sweat, I think he/she is out of luck. :confused:

You are the third person in the last week that I've heard this from. I give in. I'm going to have to try it. LOL!

You are the third person in the last week that I've heard this from. I give in. I'm going to have to try it. LOL!

It really works. I've been using it for a few months now - and still have a ton left. It is kind of trial and error at first to see how much you need. I've learned to rub it in very well and then if I apply too much, to wipe off some of the excess with a paper towel or such. I kind of feel like I've been ripped off by big companies now that I've found something that is so simple that works so well (or even just using baking soda).....all the other deoderants/antipersperants I've ever used in the past just masked my, um, smell. Hope it works for you!

Someone mentioned that you could use just baking soda and that is true - however, some people (myself included) have a reaction to the straight baking soda after a week or two of using it and have to cut it with the arrowroot or cornstarch.

One other thought - I wonder if vigorous exercise several times a week would help with the sweat problem? Like the kind of exercise that you are dripping by the end of the session? Unfortunately, I've been far too lazy to test my theory.:tongue_smilie:

I wonder if the hypothetical situation would be helped by drinking more water? I must have been a camel in my last life because I find that really hard to remember! I would also do an inventory of my wardrobe to see if I needed to toss synthetic shirts and buy cotton.

Rosie

I would agree and also say that the addition of the sweet smelling deodorant is doing her no favors and may exacerbate the problem. What about fragrance-free crystal deodorant? I'd carry tissues with me at all times and just blot myself in private whenever I could if there were really no products that did not aggravate my skin. :)

This is so true. I second rubbing alcohol.

eta: It's already been seconded. I third it then!

I would give this person the following recipe which I got off some website:

Mix baking soda with enough coconut oil to achieve paste-like consistency. (Don't substitute another type of oil!)

You can add some essential oils for scent if you like.

We live in F100+ weather and I find it works well.

• 2 months later...
An old hippie boyfriend of mine used to tell me that I "stank" when I would eat meat or drink coffee. What we eat can make a difference in how our perspiration smells. Just a thought.....maybe tmi.

Oh for sure! I swear my arm pits will smell a bit like onion if I eat raw onions!

Don't know about Funkbutter, but with the coconut oil and baking soda recipe some people are more sensitive to baking soda. You can cut down on the amount of baking soda and sometimes that will help. The recpe I use is 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Sometimes I just use coconut oil, especially after I shave.

Interesting... this has never worked for me!

I

1.shave less often and never scrub (so skin is not irritated)

2. use antibacterial softsoap in the shower (on my feet and pits only)

3. use corn starch baby powder

4. midday will wipe pits down with a baby wipe and perhaps some alcohol-based hand sanitizer - refreshing !

I smell more when I consume coffee, red meat, garlic, onions, or beer.

My dd seems to have very active sweat glands. She is young, and I would certainly like to avoid anti-perspirant, but the option (an overpowering body odour that soon entered into the fabric of all her clothing so that they smelled even after a strong wash, and so that she smelled as soon as she got dressed) was simply not acceptable to me. "Clinical grade, proven 48hr protection" anti-persirant it is.