Menu

What is your opinion on cosmetic procedures?

I'm referring to things like Botox, Rystaline (or however you spell it), laser light treatments, etc. Things that are invasive, but minimally so.

What about Velashape or Lipo Sculpture (aka "Smart Lipo")?

Are these things any different (better or worse) than actual cosmetic surgery, or even just wearing makeup?

I don't have a particular problem with cosmetic surgery in moderation assuming that the individual can afford it. I had braces & dental implants. My dad had orthodontic work and LASIK. I don't see why doing certain procedures to look better is okay but not others.

Now the contestants on that reality show from a few years ago called The Swan or that blonde girl from Laguna Beach who was on a recent cover of People (can't think of her name off the top of my head), I do have a problem with.

I'm referring to things like Botox, Rystaline (or however you spell it), laser light treatments, etc. Things that are invasive, but minimally so.

Are these things any different (better or worse) than actual cosmetic surgery, or even just wearing makeup?

Personal preference.

I wouldn't do anything that requires something foreign being injected into my body, but I have weird reactions to medications so I figure something would go wrong. LOL I would love to botox my scowl lines between my eyes though! Tooooo many years staring at a computer screen and reading the tiny print on medication stock bottles.

As far as inj go, I don't think of it as any different than someone taking supplements like Alli, phenteramine or any otc diet aids. They are adding chemicals to their bodies to artificially stimulate/alter their bodies fuel system. What is different about just adding the chemical to the desired area?

I heard a doctor on the radio talking about liposuction (traditional lipo) and he made a comment that I had never heard before. He said that lipo works great for contouring, but people don't realize that if they continue to eat the same way, the body still stores the same amount of fat, it will just fill different fat cells. So, if you remove the fat cells around the love handles, if you gain weight, it will just go to your arms, legs and other body parts faster.

The one cosmetic procedure I would Love to do is laser hair removal. I would love to never shave again. My hair and skin is too light for it to work on me, but I would do it if it would work and I could afford it.

I don't wear makeup unless I going out for the day or working. Even then, I wear very little and I wear it less every year. My kids say they prefer for me to not wear it, dh says he doesn't care either way. I do like to wear it at work or people seem to ask me if something is 'wrong'. Pretty eyes and shiny lips seems to equal happy to a lot of people. LOL I will bleach my teeth a couple times a year. I had braces a few years ago and like to keep my investment pretty. :D

I don't have a problem with any of those things, I am actually fine with "most" plastic surgeries as long as you don't start looking like a different person.

Braces and lasik are aimed at making body parts functional -- correcting bite and focus.

On the other hand, I have a tremendous problem with lasik for minor corrections, but particularly with other kinds of cosmetic surgery, because I have read too much about desperately needed surgery to correct cleft palates, club feet, severe burns, damage from domestic beatings and sexual violence, etc. Any participation in a market that deals only in looks takes doctors away from kids and adults who desperately need help. I remember at some point coming across statistics about the numbers of doctors who do urgently needed cosmetic surgery/restorations vs. those who operate or perform simple procedures on people who just want to feel they look good; it was alarming. The trend for cosmetic surgery to polish, plump, reduce, or erase age lines is taking trained professionals away from those who need them most. I don't mean this to sound sanctimonious or PC; it's just something I feel very strongly about.

Braces and lasik are aimed at making body parts functional -- correcting bite and focus.

On the other hand, I have a tremendous problem with lasik for minor corrections, but particularly with other kinds of cosmetic surgery, because I have read too much about desperately needed surgery to correct cleft palates, club feet, severe burns, damage from domestic beatings and sexual violence, etc. Any participation in a market that deals only in looks takes doctors away from kids and adults who desperately need help. I remember at some point coming across statistics about the numbers of doctors who do urgently needed cosmetic surgery/restorations vs. those who operate or perform simple procedures on people who just want to feel they look good; it was alarming. The trend for cosmetic surgery to polish, plump, reduce, or erase age lines is taking trained professionals away from those who need them most. I don't mean this to sound sanctimonious or PC; it's just something I feel very strongly about.

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective, but....I have to say I don't necessarily agree.

The doctors who perform elective plastic surgeries likley chose that line of work because it's quite lucrative. I'm certain that many of them also perform the types of surgeries that you discuss, but I doubt that the majority of them would have gotten into that line of work to do for free purely out of altruistic motivation. The ones that did already do. Know what I mean?

I'm also interested to know why you take issue with LASIK for minor corrections? I honestly never considered LASIK a cosmetic procedure, although I guess some people do it because they don't like the way they look in glasses. I suppose I see it (no pun intended) as no different than wearing glasses or contacts, with the ultimate goal to correct the vision.

Now the contestants on that reality show from a few years ago called The Swan or that blonde girl from Laguna Beach who was on a recent cover of People (can't think of her name off the top of my head), I do have a problem with.

Thos people on The Swan looked HORRIBLE when everything was said and done, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Any particular reason why those procedures offend you and others don't? I'm bothered by the people who I consider to be over the top only because I think it's sad that they are never happy with themselves (my interpretation of why they continue to have cosmetic surgery). I guess I'm just wondering where you draw the line in your mind.

The doctors who perform elective plastic surgeries likley chose that line of work because it's quite lucrative. I'm certain that many of them also perform the types of surgeries that you discuss, but I doubt that the majority of them would have gotten into that line of work to do for free purely out of altruistic motivation. The ones that did already do. Know what I mean?

I have to agree. I think the vanity surgeries probably make it easier for plastic surgeons to work on people in true need at a reduced cost or even free. I know there are quite a few plastic surgeons who do cleft repairs in third world countries. They have those opportunities because of the well-off people who pay to look better.

I do think people need to realize that after a certain amount of surgery you just start looking weird and inuman.

I wish we didn't all feel such a need to look just right, but that is a reality in our society.

My sister and I recently had a conversation about the things we wish we could change about our bodies, and would you believe they are the very same things that our dad teased us about when we were growing up?

I imagine an offhanded comment from a husband, a best friend, or a sister could cause the same desire to change in some people.

I don't want to have plastic surgery, have anything injected into my face, or to feel the need to color my graying hair. Still, I do understand why some people do it.

Edited by Crissy

I find the Botox stuff just weird. It seems like such a little thing but it does rob your face of expression. Literally. Muscles don't work right after Botox. You fix yourself up for others to look at but rob yourself of a way to express yourself.

But then I'm a chick who was thrilled when she realized she was developing crow's feet. :D

I'm pretty sure for many doctors it's the vanity surgery that affords them the time and money to do pro bono work for those who truly need and could never in a million years afford reconstructive type surgeries.

Also keep in mind there is a middle ground--like the reconstructive surgery my mom had done on her breasts after her cancer. (Well, one side got reconstructed, the other reduced so their size matched--she was quite happy to have gone down to a small B cup!) Her insurance paid for it, and while it was nominally helpful for her overall health (going lopsided gave her back muscles twinges), it was largely cosmetic.

If it could actually free me of wearing glasses (unlikely) I'd consider Lasik at some point. I'd also kind of like laser hair removal, and if DH continues going like he is (he lost a LOT of weight last year and now has skin hanging all around his belly), a tummy tuck might be in order...if we can afford it down the line. I would even consider getting my breasts perked up once I'm past childbearing/nursing (no doubt they'll need it!) I certainly wouldn't do any of it on credit, or while I have debt to pay off. Along the same lines, there are more tattoos I'd like to get.

Personally, I think it sends a dangerous message to our daughters. Women are inundated with the message that we need to look better and/or look perfect. What will our daughters think of themselves if they know mom isn't satisfied with her body?

We (dh and I) want our daughters to be happy and satisfied with their bodies, skin, and hair as they age. We want them to look deeper for happiness, not only within themselves, but within other people, too.

We are teaching our dc to take care of their bodies and skin for health reasons, not so they'll *look* good. Beauty fades....

FWIW, I'm watching my younger sister go through a lot of "procedures" in her effort not to age. It's becoming quite sad as she is truly a beautiful woman, inside and out, but she's (almost) obsessed with maintaining an unnatural youthful appearance. She just can't seem to see past her aging skin and gray hair. :( And it all started with one minimally invasive procedure.

Oh, we don't want our ds to ever think he'll marry a woman whose body will remain perfect, either. That would be a lot for dil to live up to. Or even that he needs to marry someone with a perfect body.

Rambling now.... ;)

jmho, ymmv, no offense intended, etc.:001_smile:

I wish we didn't all feel such a need to look just right, but that is a reality in our society.

My sister and I recently had a conversation about the things we wish we could change about our bodies, and would you believe they are the very same things that our dad teased us about when we were growing up?

I imagine an offhanded comment from a husband, a best friend, or a sister could cause the same desire to change in some people.

I don't want to have plastic surgery, have anything injected into my face, or to feel the need to color my graying hair. Still, I do understand why some people do it.

Great thoughts, Crissy. I esp agree with the part I bolded. :)

I am for it as long as it is within reason. I have done chemical peels, am preparing to have laser treatments for hair removal, and would love to get laser surgery on my eyes, not because I think I don't look good in glasses, but because I want the ease of seeing without them. If I lost all my excess weight and had sagging skin I would also have a tummy tuck done to firm it all up. And I have said for 10 years that when I know 100% without a doubt I am done having kids I want a booK job. NOt to increase size but to give them lift, if I am saggin this bad at 32 I hate to think of what they will look like in another 20-30 years.

I'm not going to do any of it, and generally I find it to be mostly silly. But.... a girl at my high school had rhinoplasty done at 16 or 17. There was no underlying pathology, but her original nose looked like it belonged on someone else's face. Someone four times her size. To say she was self conscious about it would be an understatement. The surgery made her look more like her, and therein lies the slippery slope. However, she didn't have the expectation that the surgery would turn her into someone else; for her it was very much like having a wart removed.

I want my eyes done. My skin on my eyelids hangs over, and actually rests on my eyelashes. If I had time, I'd do it. I probably will in a few years, when life settles down a little. If I wait long enough, the insurance will pay! :)

My mom has lost a significant amount of her sight due to this. People think it is a cosmetic procedure and it simply isn't.

Ditto for getting a reduction on a remaining breast after a mastectomy. The asymmetry can actually lead to significant back problems and nerve issues.

a

I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. The different perspectives are interesting to me. I had LASIK a couple of years ago and it was like a miracle for me. My contacts were irritating and glasses made me sick to my stomach. I've never had such an amazing feeling as when I left that office and I could actually see!!! I highly recommend it, but never put it in the same category as these other things.

I used to be pretty opposed to this stuff. Not for anyone else (it's not my business what anyone else does) but for me.

A friend of mine who just turned 50 started getting Botox about 6 months ago and....wow! I must admit it took years off of her face, and it was done in such a way that she can still lift her eyebrows so she doesn't have that "frozen" look. I would never have known what she did if she hadn't told me, but the giant, deep wrinkle that used to be between her eyes is gone, and so are her crow's feet. So...I started looking into things and my eyes have been opened to a whole new world! :D

I did get IPL (laser light treatments) and I'll get one or two more of those within the next few months. I have SEVERE sun damage on my chest and shoulders, and my skin is very pale. I've been self-conscious about it for several years and now it's so much lighter! Not gone completely, but I don't look horrible (yes, in my opinion it looked horrible) anymore. I love the results, and it's like I'm walking with my head held a little higher now.

Since I liked that so much, I've decided to get Smart Lipo on my waddling neck. I'm 38 years old and not particularly overweight (maybe 20 pounds, but nothing extreme) and I've always had a strange profile and my neck has been loose. Even when I was 120 pounds in my 20s. I'm also getting my belly sucked and tightened (same Laser Lipo) while I'm there.

I guess the reason I asked is because when I was in the office doing pre-work I started to feel...I don't know...strange about doing something I said I never would. I commented to the nurse that it felt odd doing something so completely vain, to which she replied "Dont' feel badly. This is what we're in business to do." She went on to say it's no different than wearing makeup or being meticulous about your skin care regimen. The end goal is the same.

I'm not sure if I agree with that last statement, but I have to admit I'm excited about it anyway! If anyone's interested I'll let you know my results. The procedure is scheduled for 3/30. Oh...in case you don't know what it it, it's an outpatient procedure with no general anesthesia.

She went on to say it's no different than wearing makeup or being meticulous about your skin care regimen. The end goal is the same.

I'm not sure if I agree with that last statement,

I don't think I agree with her statement.

A skincare routine and makeup give us a chance to care for and to make the best of what we already have.

A surgical procedure, on the other hand, changes us permanently. Those are two very different end goals, in my opinion.

I'm okay with it, depending on the motivation behind it. I think often, a person will do it because they don't feel like they're good enough the way they are, and they need to be "fixed" to be worthy of some goal they're trying to attain. That's not a healthy reason. There are plenty of reasons it could be just fine, though.

For myself - I yo-yo in weight. When I go down, I get those lovely flappy arms, and the tummy pooch that currently makes me look 4 months pg turns into a cottage-cheese-ish flap. If I ever get this weight off and KEEP it off for substantial amount of time, so that I know I've figured out how to make it "stick" - I'll get surgery to remove the excess skin.

I live in FL but originally from PA/NJ/NY. Everyone I know seems to have something done - lipo to every body part imaginable, fat removed from eyelids, Botox, Dysport, spider vein surgery, nose done, breasts done, hair transplants, etc... The most I've had done has been a chemical peel in a PS's office with amazing results. I looked in the mirror and felt like my skin had been "refreshed."

I'm fine with ANYTHING that makes you feel better. Yes I understand the psychology about feeling good on the inside but I know I was a lot more self-confident when I was thinner/tighter. I felt better about myself. I would *love* to have some of the baby fat sucked from under my belly button area and have some Dysport around my eyes and my breasts put back where they were. :) I love clothes, clothes just fit me better when I'm not as lumpy in some areas.

I don't think of it as uncommon at all anymore. I think I'm in the minority in that I've had nothing invasive done...yet! You have no many times when I've heard the remarks about a person NEEDING cosmetic surgery.

Edited by cjbeach
typos-- sticky, icky keyboard from 3 kiddos

I think it is up to each individual to determine whether cosmetic surgery or other alteration is right for them. IOW, no one else's business. I've seen plenty that I though decreased the person's attractiveness in my eyes, but my opinion doesn't matter one tiny bit to them.

I also don't believe that cosmetic surgeries take doctors away from doing more altruistic work. There is absolutely no guarantee that they would be doing pro bono work if they weren't working with high end clients. That is a matter of individual choice and I assume that if a doctor has any desire to do such work, then they would already be doing as much of it as they could, in spite of their high dollar work. And as mentioned, perhaps the high dollar work is helping to offset the costs to allow for more pro bono stuff.

What is starting to really fascinate me is tattooing! I'd like to get one, but don't think I could ever settle on any one design that I'm sure I would like to have on my body for the rest of my life. Talk about something totally cosmetic and appearance altering!

Just as an FYI (not that it probably matters to the thread a whole lot) but club feet actually involve a deformity of bones/tendons etc and is a very complicated birth defect, not treated by cosmetic surgeons but orthopedic surgeons. Actually, they can even be treated quite easily non-surgically by orthopedists willing to forego surgical procedures (but that is another soapbox altogether). My youngest daughter was born with a club foot so it is something that has been part of my daily life since it was diagnosed on my 20-week ultrasound 7 years ago.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. The different perspectives are interesting to me. I had LASIK a couple of years ago and it was like a miracle for me. My contacts were irritating and glasses made me sick to my stomach. I've never had such an amazing feeling as when I left that office and I could actually see!!! I highly recommend it, but never put it in the same category as these other things.

I used to be pretty opposed to this stuff. Not for anyone else (it's not my business what anyone else does) but for me.

A friend of mine who just turned 50 started getting Botox about 6 months ago and....wow! I must admit it took years off of her face, and it was done in such a way that she can still lift her eyebrows so she doesn't have that "frozen" look. I would never have known what she did if she hadn't told me, but the giant, deep wrinkle that used to be between her eyes is gone, and so are her crow's feet. So...I started looking into things and my eyes have been opened to a whole new world! :D

I did get IPL (laser light treatments) and I'll get one or two more of those within the next few months. I have SEVERE sun damage on my chest and shoulders, and my skin is very pale. I've been self-conscious about it for several years and now it's so much lighter! Not gone completely, but I don't look horrible (yes, in my opinion it looked horrible) anymore. I love the results, and it's like I'm walking with my head held a little higher now.

Since I liked that so much, I've decided to get Smart Lipo on my waddling neck. I'm 38 years old and not particularly overweight (maybe 20 pounds, but nothing extreme) and I've always had a strange profile and my neck has been loose. Even when I was 120 pounds in my 20s. I'm also getting my belly sucked and tightened (same Laser Lipo) while I'm there.

I guess the reason I asked is because when I was in the office doing pre-work I started to feel...I don't know...strange about doing something I said I never would. I commented to the nurse that it felt odd doing something so completely vain, to which she replied "Dont' feel badly. This is what we're in business to do." She went on to say it's no different than wearing makeup or being meticulous about your skin care regimen. The end goal is the same.

I'm not sure if I agree with that last statement, but I have to admit I'm excited about it anyway! If anyone's interested I'll let you know my results. The procedure is scheduled for 3/30. Oh...in case you don't know what it it, it's an outpatient procedure with no general anesthesia.

I feel the same as you. It would be so great to fix annoying faults and yet...how silly and vain we must be. Plus there are all those people who look ridiculous because of it. Back and forth, back and forth...:confused:

I am hoping it turns out well for you. Definitely give us the scoop when your done.

I am waiting until they have perfected sucking fat out the butt and putting it back in the chest. By then, though, I may be too old for anything to be done.:tongue_smilie:

I'm definitely interested in hearing your results!!!

I would like to get botox between my eyebrows, I'm developing a deep wrinkle there. My BFF got botox between her eyebrows a few months before her wedding, when she was annoyed with her fiance, she would have to tell him "I'm scowling at you". :lol:

The trend for cosmetic surgery to polish, plump, reduce, or erase age lines is taking trained professionals away from those who need them most. I don't mean this to sound sanctimonious or PC; it's just something I feel very strongly about.

This view is really only politically correct in a communist government.

Not to scare you , but if that procedure for Smart Lipo is the one that they claim no general for a face lift. My mom had it.

No general, but ten million shots in the area. She was so sick for days afterwards and in horrible pain. And she has a high tolerance for pain. Plus, on top of it she looks the same.

Please ask referrals, how their recovery was. I am one for plastic surgery and cosmetic items, but when it comes to that, get the best, I think it will be less pain.

I have only done a TCA peel and was in pain for a week, I am such a baby, I dont do well w/recovery. I would like to do Restalyn, but w/my weird skin, I will probably have a reaction.

Just saying, be careful.

I detest most "plastic surgery."

Living in LA one sees plenty. Most looks like "freak-show" to me.

I'll take aging with grace any day.

Bill

:iagree:

Plastic surgery should be for those who really need it (cancer, burns, birth defects). Sure, I understand those who get elective surgery help pay for those who are less fortunate, but still, it's a reflection on how sick our society is. Now to be a complete hypocrite, I don't have issues with tattoos, piercings, or other body modification of a similar vein. :001_huh:

Not to scare you , but if that procedure for Smart Lipo is the one that they claim no general for a face lift. My mom had it.

No general, but ten million shots in the area. She was so sick for days afterwards and in horrible pain. And she has a high tolerance for pain. Plus, on top of it she looks the same.

Please ask referrals, how their recovery was. I am one for plastic surgery and cosmetic items, but when it comes to that, get the best, I think it will be less pain.

I have only done a TCA peel and was in pain for a week, I am such a baby, I dont do well w/recovery. I would like to do Restalyn, but w/my weird skin, I will probably have a reaction.

Just saying, be careful.

I don't think it's the same. I believe that one is the Lifestyle Lift.

Your words of caution aren't taken lightly, though. I did research this doctor as much as I could. He's apparently very well thought of in this market and has done nearly a thousand of these procedures. Still, I'm acutely aware that I could be one of the small percentage where something goes wrong. Not worried about it, but aware....

I have had braces as an adult - not for cosmetic reasons but to straighten them in order to slow decay (they were really overcrowded). When they came off, my dentist rebuilt a couple of crowns to take care of decay problems and I haven't had a cavity since.

I do not consider lasik a cosmetic procedure although it is marketed as such. My eye dr. told me it was originally developed for people like me - I have severe myopia to the point that my contact lenses are custom made for me. I, however, do not want to risk my vision because it can currently be corrected with contacts. The risk of the surgery include loss of vision. A more common side effect is seeing auras around lights. There are many people who can no longer drive at night because of the auras around oncoming headlights after the surgery. If my eyesight degrades more, there may come a time when I'll consider it.

My mother lost an amazing amount of weight between the ages of 70-75. I'd love for her to have a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin so that she could see how skinny she really is, but at the age of 80 I don't think she'd go for it!

I'll probably start waxing my chin soon - my one hair has become two. I realized this at church today.

There is a lot of risk in surgical procedures and at this point in my life I'm not willing to risk the complications for elective surgeries. Hospital acquired pneumonia is a real risk and is no fun at all. Neither are reactions to anesthesia.

That is my ramble.

I'm having a mini as soon as I can afford it. When I first started with the hyperthryoid I lost too much weight too fast. I've got the giggly under my chin way too early. I want it gone. I'm too young to look this old.

This I can understand.

When a person loses weight and has extra skin.

My opinion - some people look better and some people look worse!!

Look at that Tara Reid girl!!! WOW! THAT is sad. She looks awful now and she never even needed it to begin with!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone who lost 400 pounds - go get some skin cut off so you can move about comfortably.

Scroll down a bit to see Tara's stomach and butt and what happens when you get surgery when you're already thin.

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/category/tara-reid/

This view is really only politically correct in a communist government.

But living here in America we are free to say what we think even when it is politically incorrect.

If this is what she thinks - so be it.

(Not that I agree with her comment any more than I agree with yours).

ETA: I am SOOOOO not P.C.

I just realized how non-global I am and not everyone is American on these boards!!!!!

Sorry.

I don't really care if people get things done, if they are paying for it maybe it will give Drs some good practice on other things.

The Dr who performed my first c-section has a secondary specialty in plastic surgery. He did an amazing job, my scar was practically invisible. The Dr who performed my second was terrible. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I want my eyes done. My skin on my eyelids hangs over, and actually rests on my eyelashes. If I had time, I'd do it. I probably will in a few years, when life settles down a little. If I wait long enough, the insurance will pay! :)

My mom has lost a significant amount of her sight due to this. People think it is a cosmetic procedure and it simply isn't.

Medicare actually pays for the procedure on the eyes in these circumstances. I had a friend in my Bible study have it done.