Menu

7th grade??

What are you doing? What are you planning to do?

I will have a 7th grader next year and just wondering what you plan to do for 7th grade, what are you doing for 7th grade or what did you do for 7th grade? I think I know but I want to be sure. Heres my plan, what do you think? Any suggestions on my few questions???

--Who is God--- Bible from Apologia

--Bob Jones fundamentals of math 7

--Applications of Grammer book 1- Christian liberty press

--Jump In writing

--Trail Guides to US geography

--not sure about health for 7th grade-- doing exploring creation with anatomy for my elementary aged kids any suggestions??

--Exploring Creation with General Science

--All American History vol 2

--Apples and Spellling the easy way

--Worldy Wise 7

--For Such a time as this literary analysis (debating on 7th or 8th with that-- any thoughts????)

--Mystery of History vol 2

I am going to have my son read through a set of books about various missionaries that I've owned for a while and have not used. Then he's going to begin listening through a Bible on tape set .

My son is going to continue an outside algebra class and I am going to have him working through VideoText algebra that I already own at home for review and extra practice.

I'm debating whether to continue with Abeka Grammar and Comp, or switch to Rod and Staff.....

--Jump In writing

I don't know if I'll be continuing with Writing Strands, or just perhaps using Rod and Staff.....

I don't think I'm doing separate geography next year. I think I'm doing stuff that goes along with history and perhaps some map skills practice.

--not sure about health for 7th grade-- doing exploring creation with anatomy for my elementary aged kids any suggestions??

I've heard some say that Abeka's health is no nonsense and, while perhaps not that exciting, at least thorough. I'm not doing health next year....

I'm doing chemistry using various resources I own (McHenry's Elements and Organic; Mebane books; Fizz, Bubble, Flash; Friendly Chemistry, etc.) and living books, etc.

I'm doing Early Modern, which is heavy on U.S. history, using WTM suggestions, living books, etc.

Spelling will be finished; he's going to begin working through Vocab for the College Bound

--Worldy Wise 7

(see above)

--For Such a time as this literary analysis (debating on 7th or 8th with that-- any thoughts????)

I'll be using some parts of some study guides I have to go along with various lit pieces we'll be doing and my notebook of literary analysis that I put together last year. I'm not familiar with your program, so can't offer suggestions on it.

(see above for history)

Rod and Staff English along with some Shurley 7 (have both cause I found used copies )

Saxon 1/2

Finishing Exploring Creation with General Science (starting now and working over the summer) then doing the biology course because that is where her heart is

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

k-12 Social Studies or Switched on Schoolhouse because she wants to do at least one "computer" class and she will supplement with books from library.

PE = 5 hours a week or more at allstar cheer gym

Logic - Art of Argument

Spanish - So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, finish Book 1, start Book 2

Latin - Latin Prep Book 1

Math - Dolciani Modern School Mathematics 8

Science - CPO Physical Science, supplemented with How Science Works and other Readers Digest books

Writing - CW Diogenes and Poetry 1B

Grammar - Growing with Grammer 7

History and Reading - the Well Trained Mind recommendations for Early Modern.

And I have some fun drawing and programming books I hope to get to.

Math- Finish TTB 7 (he's about 1/2 way) and begin TTB Pre-Alg

Grammar - Analytical Grammar Season 2

Latin- LFC C (Considering letting him drop Latin and just do Spanish)

Spelling- Megawords 3 and 4

Spanish- SFC A

Writing- WWE 4 and MCT Paragraph Town

Vocabulary- MCT Caesar's English 1

Literature- Books from Various Reading Lists

Science- Apologia General

Bible/ History- MFW 1850- Modern Times

I am looking to get MCT Paragrah Town at the conference next month and use it over the summer with WWE 4 so that we can start Voyages perhaps mid-year. I want to finish WWE with him becasue it is producing amazing results. My end goal is to get him doing MCT Academic Writing 1 in 8th.

Edited by Marie in Oh

What are you doing? What are you planning to do?

I will have a 7th grader next year and just wondering what you plan to do for 7th grade, what are you doing for 7th grade or what did you do for 7th grade? I think I know but I want to be sure. Heres my plan, what do you think? Any suggestions on my few questions???

--Jump In writing

--Worldy Wise 7

IMO I wouldn't do AAH & MOH, I would chose one. Also do you need to do health? If not, I'd skip it for 7th. If you dc is nearing the age of puberty you might add a body geared for their age/gender group. This is also a good time to start thinking about a logic course. The orbiting with logic series is a good start.

Here's our plans for 7th next year:

Latin Alive bk1

Alg 1 (LOF & Dolciani)

Cw Homer (tweaking/still planning)

Megawords 2&3

Asian Studies

Earth Science

New Testament study

AoA (2nd unit)

Lit LCC style

Art -?

Music - trumpet w/theory

Irasshai Japanese

Edited by elegantlion

Our plans for next year are:

HO2-Early Modern

R&S English 7

Life of Fred Adv Algebra

Second Form Latin

WP Jiggle, Jostle, and Jolt

CW Diogenes

Critical Thinking 2

SOS Secondary Spanish

Lightening Lit 7

Vocab from Classical Roots A

Harmony Fine Arts 7

Although, of course, all are subject to change.

What we're using is in my signature. We used Abeka for Health and were happy with it. DS really enjoyed reading it and we had some good discussions. We only read the book (didn't do any testing or anything else). I plan to use it again next year.

Is there a specific reason you're doing two history programs? I think one would be plenty.

This seems to be the million dollar question at my house! I've researched, prayed, decided, planned (complete with spreadsheets), tweaked and then changed my mind. Why, oh why, can't I leave well enough alone?

Oh well, for what it's worth, here is my current line up for my rising 7th grade twin boys next year:

Bible ~ Apologia What We Believe - Who is God? (with Apologetics Study Bible for Students)

Math ~ Chalkdust Pre-Algebra (Although, I'm very curious about Kinetic Pre-Algebra... but it has not been released yet)

Science ~ Apologia General Science

History ~ Truthquest Age of Revolution III (I like to do my own thing, but plan to use this as a spine with lots of living books. But, I haven't put my hands on it yet...)

English ~ MCT English, Lightning Literature 8, Pentime Cursive 7 and CLP Building Spelling Skills 7 (I would also like to work in Caught'ya! Grammar with a Giggle and Teaching Literary Elements with Short Stories)

Latin ~ Lively Latin 1 (continuing slowly from where we leave off this year)

French ~ L'Art de lire 1

Health ~ Total Health for Middle School

Art ~ Mark Kistler's Draw Squad & Complete-A-Sketch 1-2-3

Music ~ One takes piano lessons, the other takes violin lessons.

Other possibilities as time allows:

Revenge of the Logic Spiders

You Decide! Applying the Bill of Rights to Real Cases

Whatever Happened to Penny Candy (with study guide)

Kidcoder: Computer Programming (they are already playing around with Scratch and Alice.org)

When planning 7th grade, I found it helpful to plan (as much as possible) 8th grade as well. I had a list of things I wanted to complete before high school and by looking at the whole thing made it easier to see what should be done in 7th vs. 8th, what could be put off until high school, and what could be put off forever.

Bible: daily reading & discussion w/ Dad

Math: LOF Fractions & Decimals and Percents; Dolciani Pre-Algebra; Brain Maths 2

Latin: Latin for the New Millennium

Greek: Mounce's Biblical Greek

History: Teaching Co's High School Early American History Course

Science: Apologia General Science

Writing: Classical Writing Diogenes: Maxim & Intermediate Poetry

Grammar: Harvey's

Memory Work: Scripture & IEW's Poetry

Music: Piano

P.E.: Fencing

When planning 7th grade, I found it helpful to plan (as much as possible) 8th grade as well. I had a list of things I wanted to complete before high school and by looking at the whole thing made it easier to see what should be done in 7th vs. 8th, what could be put off until high school, and what could be put off forever.

VERY good suggestion!!!! Thank you!!!!!:)

Math: Forester's Algebra I

LA: Spelling Mastery F, Jump In, AG (season 1&2), We're on our 4th week of LL from LOTR and will continue this next year.

History: Ancients using Little History of the World and Augustus Ceasar's World as spines. We've added fiction that coordinates with our history cycle

Technology: Logo to Lego via TPA

Memory: mom chosen selections

Geography:Mapping the World with Art

We made it half way through both The Fallacy Detective and Vocabulary Cartoons before dropping both in the second semester.

We used Rosetta Stone for Japanese for the first semester and are now transitioning into Spanish for the second. We'll continue with Spanish next year.

HTH, Stacy

7th grade plans for DS next year:

Math: Alg I (LoF or KB, or both)

English: MCT Grammar/Vocab/Writing/Poetics

Literature: Beowulf + 20-week Duke/TIP course on the 4 volumes of Once & Future King + 3-4 Shakespeare plays

Spanish: Discovery Streaming

History: OUP Medieval & Early Modern World series + K12 Human Odyssey + several Teaching Co courses (Vikings, Early/High/Late Middle Ages, The Medieval World)

Science: Geology (assorted college textbooks + 2 Teaching Co courses + two paleontological field courses + additional fieldwork)

Geography: Mapping the World with Art (correlated with history)

Art: Meet the Masters + private drawing lessons

Jackie

Well, here's what has been decided upon so far (and still subject to change)

Latin Prep 3 (If we EVER finish 2 (on chapter 6 out of 10)

Math R&S 8

English R&S 7

Life Science: outside class using BJU

History: outside World View class that includes history overview and writing included

Spanish in the car with Pimsleur Speak and Read (very informal) - we're doing level 1 right now and it works!

CLE Reading 7

I'm going back to look at all those other posts to see what I've left out.

Blessings!

Penny

Still planning - I think this has changed just a bit since last I posted it - I'll have two 7th graders next year:

Math: dd1: Singapore DM 1a/b, dd2: Lial BCM & LOF Pre-Alg/Bio

both supplement w/ Math Detective

English: MCT Voyage Grammar/Vocab/Writing/Poetics

also Editor in Chief & IEW's poetry

Literature: LLit 8

History: K12 Human Odyssey, World in Ancient Times + tons of reading/documentaries/field trips to the art museum

Science: CPO Earth Science/Ellen McH's Carbon Chemistry

Geography: Map Skills with World History, considering Mapping the World with Art

Logic: Critical Thinking 1 (tentative)

Spanish: Spanish Now! Level 2

German: German Sat. School

Art: outside lessons

Music: dd1: piano, dd2: violin, orchestra

PE: dd1: maybe skating again, dd2: ballet

Also: dd1: Robotics club/FLL

I'll echo the suggestion to plan more than one year out. Last year, I planned out all of middle school, working backwards from where I thought they'd have to be before 9th. I've tweaked, but pretty much it's "do the next thing" till high school throws it all in the air again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted, I'm looking for any gaps in the plan for my dd next year.

This is our plan:

Bible: Alpha Omega Bible 7 Lifepacs

Language Arts: Lighting Lit 7 (finish), then begin Total Language Plus

continue with Jump In!

Math: Teaching Textbooks 6 & part of 7 (she's struggled with math since K; goal is to get her through TT pre-algebra by the end of 8th grade)

Life of Fred Fractions as a supplement

History: Biblioplan Year 3 (America and the World 1600-1850)

Science: 1st semester: Considering God's Creation (Astronomy units), Home Science Adventures: Astronomy, Elementary Physical Science

2nd semester: Considering God's Creation (Earth science units), Earth Science supplemental text and labs, co-op classes

Latin: Latin for Children A

Greek: Hey Andrew! levels 2 and 3

Critical Thinking/Logic/Worldview: Critical Thinking in US History, whodunits, puzzle/riddle books, How to be Your Own Selfish Pig

Blessings,

Laura

My current plans for 7th grade next year.

Math

finish off Key to Fractions, Decimals, Percents

do Lial's BCM

History

deciding between SL Core 6 (which I already own, but don't feel like doing again) and Oak Meadow 6, both cover the same time period

English

if I get OM6, English will be included

if I do SL Core 6, then I'll probably use Essay Apprentice

Science

Prentice Hall Science Explorer, my dd can choose any of the individual texts from the series except for the physical science texts. We're going to do Physical Science for 8th grade.

this is what my soon to be 7th grader will be doing:

Literature: Lighting Lit 7th

Spelling- spelling power

writing- SWICC-A (cause i have it already and we started SWI A very late) and Draw through History

grammar- analytical grammar

Math- Math U See : zeta

History/geography- SOTW book 3

Science- Apologia General Science

Art- we study several artists a year, i havent picked next years yet

Music- we study several composers a year.. havent picked next years yet

For. Lang- we are picking Latin back up again so we will start back at Prima Latina (as we never finished it the first go round)

Technology- A Typing course of some kind

P.E.- Swim lessons, riding bikes, Hiking

Edited by skissugar

So far the 7th grade plan is:

Growing with Grammar 7

Lightning Lit 7

MUS Zeta

Oak Meadow Earth Science

Latin Prep 1

History Odyssey Early Modern

Meet the Masters-Music and Art

PE-Gym class and Swim class

Still up in the air because I am undecided about which program to use:

Spanish

Writing

Our plans for next year ...

Ancient history, the WTM way

Literature to match, more or less

Classical Writing Diogenes

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with biology

Computer Programming

At co-op he will have:

Humanities

Drama

Science

Latin (Cambridge Unit 2)

Greek (Elementary Greek 2)

Recitation

Less formal art appreciation/composer study, TC lectures, museums, Scouts, soccer, and possibly Lego League.

Maths:

MUS (almost finished Epsilon, aim to finish Zeta by end of 2010)

LoF (Fractions & Decimals/Percents)

NZ Maths 8

TTC: Basic Math

NZ Logic & Reasoning 8

English/Latin:

Copywork/Penmanship

Typing

Vocabulary Vine

Jump In Writing

Sequential Spelling

NZ English 8

SL 3+4 Literature

Lively Latin 2

Science:

Apologia's General Science

Story of Science

NZ Science 8

Other:

NZ Social Studies 8

Complete-a-Sketch (vol. 2-3)

NZ Homework 8

Dangerous Book for Boys: Book of Heros

Extras:

Violin

SeaScouts

Sailing (summers)

Field Hockey (winters)

Soccer (winters)

Not all of the above is done daily. Ds#2 has four 1 hour blocks of schoolwork assigned each day. As we are beginning major renovations on our house this week, I printed out a year's worth of weekly assignments & bound them into a schoolwork book. We have just finished our term 1 & ds#2 only has a few things to finish up over our 2 week break. Things have run so much smoother as "the assignment book" tells him what needs doing & I don't nag. Term 1 was heavy in assignments as we tend to lose steam by the end of the year. Also, dd & ds#1 will be finished their tertiery studies by mid to end of November, so I wanted ds#2 to have majority of his work completed by then as well. And he knows I can't add things in mid-year as the year's work is printed out already ;)

JMHO

Edited by Deb in NZ

DS's 7th grade plan is in my siggy.

Edited to add: DS is in a homeschool reading club and is studying lit that way; he also goes to an art history class twice a month.

We do a little philosophy with Philosophy for Young Thinkers when we can squeeze it in.

I use Teaching Co. history DVDs and lots of novels, movies and documents to supplement AAH.

We dropped Lit. Analysis by Stobaugh early on.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

This is probably not all, but all I can think of for now...

LA--MCT Voyage, Continuing with World Literature, something for a good Shakespeare study, etc., etc.

Latin--GP's SYRTYCL Latin 2 and Greek

Math--GP's Maths Prep 2 (by adamant request), MEP 8, LOF Beginning Algebra, and anything else I feel like throwing in.

Science--GP's SYRTYCL Science 2, Ellen McHenry, lots of books

History--Continuing with Glencoe's World History (we're doing Medieval and Renn. for 7th so this text will last us 3 years), and continuing Nextext Humanities, and too many books to deal with right now.

Music--Don't know, yet. Probably some classical music study and a music game for her Nintendo DS.

Art--sewing

This is constantly changing, but right now I am looking at:

Math: CLE Math 600 or 700 (really not sure on this; need to see where he's at)

Grammar/Poetry/Writing/Vocab: Michael Clay Thompson Voyage Level

Better Sentence Structure Through Diagramming I and II

Literature: Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings plus literature chosen by me

Spelling: Soaring With Spelling and Vocabulary

Cursive: Universal Publishing Cursive Writing Book G and H

Science: CPO Life Science

Social Studies: History Odyssey Level II Middle Ages

Logic: The Art of Argument

Art: Artistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 1 (doing with his younger brother)

Planning is my favorite part of homeschooling :w00t:

Math - TT7

Grammar - GWG7

Latin - continue The Great Latin Adventure

Typing - continue Mavis Beacon

Logic - finish Orbiting with Logic, read The Fallacy Detective

History - Modern (1850-2000) using SOTW 4, BJU 8 (2nd half of the book), tests/activities for both, several biographies and some historical fiction

Writing - outlining and rewriting and Sentence Grammar. Also, some writing for History (writing out short answers for tests instead of narrating them and continuing with writing a report on each president)

Science - BJU 7 Life Science (no dvd/online class - I have been studying the TM and I think we will do fine)

Art - winter classes at the Pratt Institute

Practical Arts (a required course in NY for 7th grade) - continue Sewing Lessons, maybe moving to Pattern Making. I will also do a "cooking class" of sorts.

P.E. - Ice Skating and I think that I will start her on Pilates. The older girls do it regularly and it would be easy. She dropped Ballet this year and it has been hard to get enough activity in.

Still deciding on these -

Spelling - I am hoping to see and compare Megawords and How to Teach Spelling at the convention.And maybe I will see something *perfect* that I am not even considering!

Reading - the book list tied to History is the easy part. I am torn between Lightning Lit 7 which uses books I want her to read this year anyway, some Progeny Press guides, which also has books from my list, and Teaching the Classics. TTC would be more discussion and less writing at this point but she does prefer to work independently....I can't decide!

German - There are just too many choices but the best ones are time/money intensive and it is only 7th grade....

Guitar - She is teaching herself with a book - I want to get her lessons but I don't know how much money I will have for this!

Here is our plan for 7th grade next year:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5 (finish)

Reading: DITHOR 6/7

Writing: Medieval History Based Lessons (IEW)

Spelling: R&S 7

Science: Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space; Exploring Planet Earth & Exploring Creation with Astronomy

History Mystery of History 2

Health: Food and Nutrition for Every Kid

Foreign Language: Latina Christian 1

Art: Phonics of Drawing; Drawing Real People

Music: America's Songbook; Worship Guitar & Music Theory

PE: Various Outdoor & Indoor Activities

Our plan so far is:

Hist/Geog/Lit - TOG Year 1

Math - MUS Pre-Algebra

Writing - WriteShop

Music - Piano lessons

Art - local co-op

Science - Life Science through co-op

Latin - co-op

After reading this thread I was reminded of Apologia's Who is God. I need to look into that again and may add for next year. I just looked at Orbiting with Logic and will probably add that as well. I love planning!

I'm still working on a plan for 7th grade. This is what I have so far:

Grammar: Analytical Grammar season 2

Literature: LL8

Spelling: Megawords? (still thinking about this)

Writing: IEW? (not sure yet)

Latin: Getting Started With Latin

Math: Lial's BCM, Aleks

History: History Odyssey Level II, Middle Ages

Memory: IEW poetry

Science: Glencoe Earth Science

Logic: ??

I will be spending some time going through past threads trying to fill in the blanks. Thank you to everyone for posting your plans and reviews. It has been so helpful! :001_smile:

Margie