Menu

If you routinely walk for exercise, would you come in here and answer my questions?

The questions are lame, and I know I'm overthinking the whole thing, but still...humor me, please!

What do you wear when you walk?

Do you change clothes just for walking, then change back?

Do you find that you need to shower after you walk for exercise?

What time of day do you walk?

How do you pick your route if you walk outside?

If you walk on a treadmill, what speed do you walk, and for how long?

Where does your treadmill live?

I've tried to walk before, but I live on a dirt/loose rock road, and I always end up spraining my ankle. Now I have a treadmill, but I still seem to hurt myself in one way or another...I fall off, or I start having a pain here or there. I walked a couple of times where I set myself a slower pace, and did not hurt myself, but felt like I was slacking off. I also don't really like walking on the treadmill wearing jeans, but shorts seem to creep up between my thighs when I walk fast. :ohmy:

I guess the bottom line is that I can find a million small, uncomfortable, reasons for *not* walking, and I need to answer the silly little questions about walking routines and try to get past my reservations and hesitations. :glare:

ETA: I was walking at 3.5 on my treadmill, but always seemed to hurt myself. 3.0 feels good, but I'm thinking that might be too slow to be worthwhile?

I don't walk outside because I have an issue with easily twisting my ankles. My mom claims that it's because they were "wrong" when I was born. She says the doc wanted to basically break both of my ankles and reset them in a more correct position, but she wouldn't let them do it. She says now that she should have let them do it, and apologizes profusely, because she believes that I never became athletic because of the constant ankle problems.

Editing again: I'm just going to keep throwing my excuses out, because you all are providing some of the answers I need. I may as well get *all* of my excuses dealt with right now!

My fingers swell up when I walk--to the point of some pretty extreme discomfort. Anyone have this and actually resolve it somehow? And no, swinging my hands more or less doesn't seem to help at all.

Edited by Julie in CA

I walk for exercise, but I walk outside for the fresh air, the contact with nature, the change of scenery.

I sometimes wear exercise clothes, but not usually. i dont walk fast- not fast enough to sweat or get out of breath. I walk at a moderate, normal walking pace. I enjoy my walks- they are not a chore, although sometimes I do have to bribe myself to get out the door- once I am out there I always love it.

I think if you are spraining your ankle- maybe you need better shoes, but also, you probably need to walk more, to help with your ankle strength and your balance.

I pick my route spontaneously according to my mood. I usually walk along the river bank near my house, on grass, with bare feet. Sometimes I will walk the bike path nearby (with shoes on). And other times, and in other locations, I enjoy walking around the neighbourhood looking at people's gardens and homes.

I prefer to walk alone- sometimes I take my ipod.

If you walk for pleasure rather than "because its good for you" you can walk at whatever pace you please. Just getting out of the house and moving every day is a good thing. I don't "push" myself to walk hard and fast- that would spoil the fun for me. Sometimes I ride my boke if I want a more intense exercise. But walking and stretching is my daily movement, and its not hard work.

I usually wear jeans and then an sweat or tshirt just for excercising. I get sweaty when I walk, so I like to change afterwards.

Injury prvention, try walking a little then stretching and walking some more. After your walk, do a nice long stretch. For a gravel road, I'd probably have shoes with ankle support, so I don't twist my ankle. Or at least good supportive shoes.

I walk in a suburban neighborhood on sidewalks, and I HATE the concrete. I hate also that the sidewalks slope slightly, just enough to throw off your ankles, and that all the driveways dip the sidewalk with them. So most people here end up walking in the middle of the street and moving when cars come (it's not too busy). I walk just under two miles and outside of midwinter, I do need to shower and change clothes afterwards; I do quite a quick walk and get really hot even in cool weather. I have a junk pair of clothes I wear to walk in for a few days at a time. I always, always have good shoes, though. Because it's hot here much of the year, I have to walk and be back home before the sun gets very high -- say 8 at the latest. If I do this early, the dogs are much calmer during the rest of the day, I feel I have accomplished something if only this for the day, I feel physically better, and I feel I've done something for myself, however small.

But it sure is easy to find reasons not to do it.

Not silly at all...

I'm the same way. I always end up injuring myself when I walk at speeds that make me feel like I get a good workout. My solution...intervals.

But in regards to your questions:

1. It looks ridiculous, but I wear fitted capri length pants when I walk. Not pretty, but I also hate the riding up. Walking in regular clothes is reserved for more casual walks outside with my dog.

2. I do like to wear separate workout clothes. While I don't sweat a ton, I do just enough to warrant a change of clothes.

3. Because I'm not a big sweater, I don't need to shower afterwards. Just a little wipe down and some body spray and deodorant are usually enough...unless it was a real sweat session.

4. I prefer to walk first thing in the morning. It sets my mood for the day and I can say I'm done and have the rest of the day to myself. Lately, I've just been fitting it in when I have the time. I do like a short afternoon walk with okay.

5. When I walk outside, I just walk the sidewalk and paths near my house. I don't go out of my way to find a good path.

6. My routine on the treadmill varies. I like to do intervals by either speed or incline (that's my favorite). So I might do a few minutes at 3.0, bump it up to 3.3, go back to 3.0, up to 3.5, down to 3.0, up to 3.8, and then back down again. My incline training I usually walk at about 3.3 and vary the incline anywhere up to 10. I usually do anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I can't do high speeds or high incline for long periods of time, so the intervals work well.

7. My treadmill is in the basement. I would rather it be someplace else, but it's cool in the summer.

Hope that helps!

The questions are lame, and I know I'm overthinking the whole thing, but still...humor me, please!

I've tried to walk before, but I live on a dirt/loose rock road, and I always end up spraining my ankle. Now I have a treadmill, but I still seem to hurt myself in one way or another...I fall off, or I start having a pain here or there. I walked a couple of times where I set myself a slower pace, and did not hurt myself, but felt like I was slacking off. I also don't really like walking on the treadmill wearing jeans, but shorts seem to creep up between my thighs when I walk fast. :ohmy:

I guess the bottom line is that I can find a million small, uncomfortable, reasons for *not* walking, and I need to answer the silly little questions about walking routines and try to get past my reservations and hesitations. :glare:

I walk just about every day, regardless of the weather.

I usually wear jeans or sweats -- jeans more often lately since it's cold.

Sometimes I change, sometimes I don't. It depends on where I'm going afterwards and how sweaty I got. Same with the shower. Lots of variables -- the weather, how challenging the walk was, and where I'm going after the walk.

I go around my neighborhood most of the time. We live in an area with lots of large hills, beautiful mountain and water views, a major walking/biking trail, and some sidewalks. I have it easy in that sense.

I usually go right after dinner on the weeknights, and mid/early mornings on the weekends. I'll go twice the same day if a friend wants to join me!

You mentioned feeling like a 'slacker' if you go at a slow-ish pace. Try to talk yourself out of that feeling. ANY exercise is better than none. You'll feel better even if you just do a very mellow stroll for 15 minutes. Think of it as a gift to yourself.

My goal is to take a walk every day. Not to work out every day. They feel very different to me. My walk can be 10 minutes, or it can be 90 minutes. I can be sweating and exhausted, or just take a stroll. The idea is to enjoy it and make a healthy habit of it.

I walk for exercise . i get up at 5 am in the morning. put on my milking clothes ( shirt and overalls) I then go for my walk. I walk briskly on a dirt track and then a sealed road. it is still dark. I walk between 6 km and 9 km. depending on how much time I have. then come home and milk the cow. then have my shower. I don't even brush my hair. I figure as I am walking in the semi-dark no one will see me.

I also don't put on my glasses, so I am sure no one can see me in my funny clothes.:lol:

If I had to get on special clothes, I just wouldn't get to walking.

I walk regularly, weather permitting, at a nearby park. I have to drive to the park but I do so because they have a nice, 2-mile walking track. I live in a rural area, so no sidewalks.

I like to walk in the morning. I actually like to take ds with me because he needs the exercise, too. It makes for a much more pleasant day if we get fresh air and clear our minds at the start.

I probably wouldn't wear jeans on a treadmill either. I'd probably get some comfy pants like yoga pants or sweat pants.

I wear jeans, walking shoes, and whatever top is appropriate for the temperature. I don't usually work up a sweat on my walk unless it's July or August. Then I try to plan for a shower after a walk.

I would say one key to a nice walk is having good shoes. I've got Merrells and they are super comfy.

...or how you can walk early enough or late enough for it to be dark outside. That would no way feel safe where I live, even though I live in a relatively safe area. I also live in an area where the mosquitoes are *huge*, and West Nile Virus is extremely prevalent.

Excuses....excuses...:nopity::rolleyes:

I walk in the early morning with my sister. I drive a very short distance to a 1 mile country road (little to no traffic, especially in the early morning, but with houses on it so we aren't in the middle of nowhere). We walk 4 lengths, so 4 miles. Right now it is fairly cold, so I'm wearing leggings with windbreaker pants over the top. I come home and take a shower, and then dress for my day. I really can't imagine wearing anything other than running pants/leggings for walking (or capri length in warm weather). Jeans or shorts wouldn't work for me.

I occasionally walk on our longish gravel driveway, but it is hard on my ankles, too. My sister and I have bad ankles, and we seem to do okay on the road.

What do you wear when you walk? Monarch Air II (or III) shoes and whatever I have on - usually shorts or sweatpants

Do you change clothes just for walking, then change back? No. I walk for pleasure and figure the exercise is just the icing on the cake.

Do you find that you need to shower after you walk for exercise? Not usually. In the hot and humid months of summer, I walk right before I take a shower (evenings).

What time of day do you walk? In winter, I walk during the warmest time of day - mid to late afternoons. In summer, I wait until the sun has gone down a little so I have more shade to wallk in - about 5-7pm.

How do you pick your route if you walk outside? We live in the woods and have a long, gravel driveway. In bug season, I stay mostly on the driveway (hate running into those spiders hanging between the trees). The rest of the time I walk wherever suits my fancy that day.

Where does your treadmill live? No treadmill. Stationary bike. In my bedroom beside the slider so I have a view and plenty of light for reading.

I found that to avoid twisting my ankles by 'falling' off the sides of the rocks, I had to find running shoes with very wide soles. Those Monarch Air shoes work for me. I get them at Super Shoes. I also buy the Men's shoe vs womens because they're much wider and seem to have more cushioning. I never twist my ankle anymore.

I also buy my shorts long. They come almost to my knees. Capri pants also work well if you have any of those.

I usually take some of my dc and my Chihuahua when I walk. The conversation helps pass the time and my dog is entertaining to watch. I can't take my dog in bad weather, however. She's tiny and gets cold in very cold weather. Can you walk with various ones in your family at different times? Not in a rigid scheduled way; but in a 'I'm going walking. Anybody want to go?' kind of way? That's what works for me. And I don't stress out if I miss walking. I walk when I can.

Oh, you might want to invest in a nice umbrella or two for walking in the rain. And maybe some kind of hat for the sun (or bugs) in the hot months. And for winter, I have an old down coat and several different weights of gloves to choose from. I also buy those hunter-orange knit hats from Wal Mart to wear in winter, too. And I made myself a bug fan by cramming some wild turkey feathers into the end of a stick and gluing them. I use it to fan the gnats away from my face as I walk during gnat season. I also sometimes spray a little Cutter on my shoes and ankles during tick season.

You can do it. Just try to look at your walk as a time to enjoy nature and clear your head. Listen to the birds; stop and watch the bugs; talk to the person you're walking with about whatever interests them and you; etc. If you draw or paint, it's nice to look for interesting things to take home for that. We have one spot where we always stop to look up at the sky and the view, and to soak up some Vitamin D. :) One ds is always bringing home a new rock on his walks. We always talk about the seasons, too. It's fun to notice the changing seasons.

HTH

Kathy

Edited by ksva

GOOD shoes, stretchy (knit) pants or shorts and shirt, jacket if needed.

no, unless I shower - then I put on clean clothes

if I'm staying home, I usually do not shower; if I go out, depending on where I'm going I might shower (to see a friend or clothes shopping) or not shower (grocery shopping)

I tend to walk when the traffic in the neighborhood is less - after everyone else has gone to work/school and before they come back (that makes it about 9am - 2pm)

I used http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to map a route in my neighborhood - mostly so I would know the mileage. I just picked a route that began and ended at my house

I've only used a treadmill at hotels when I've been on vacation, but since I keep up with my time and mileage, I know my approximate speed - I just start there and adjust the speed until it "feels" right. Also, I start slow and adjust it higher (based on how it "feels") over a few minutes, maintain my usual pace for most of the workout, and then gradually decrease the speed the last few minutes.

I've tried to walk before, but I live on a dirt/loose rock road, and I always end up spraining my ankle. Now I have a treadmill, but I still seem to hurt myself in one way or another...I fall off, or I start having a pain here or there. I walked a couple of times where I set myself a slower pace, and did not hurt myself, but felt like I was slacking off. I also don't really like walking on the treadmill wearing jeans, but shorts seem to creep up between my thighs when I walk fast.

I think safety is very important - you aren't doing yourself any favors getting hurt! If you get on the treadmill and walk 5 - 10 minutes, at any speed, you are not slacking off !!! You will increase the time a little at a time, and you will increase the speed a little at a time. Let your body tell you when to increase. The important thing is don't get hurt. I started out walking only 5-10 minutes at a time, and can now do 60 minutes - and I'm sweating and breathing hard and I can always tell when it was time to up the intensity. I haven't had the creeping shorts problem so I have nothing to offer on that point.

I guess the bottom line is that I can find a million small, uncomfortable, reasons for *not* walking, and I need to answer the silly little questions about walking routines and try to get past my reservations and hesitations.

I don't know what your motivations are for adding in exercise, but I will share mine. In July 2008 I decided to try to lose weight. Since then I have lost over 60 pounds and exercise is a big part of my success. I also began eating new ways (different foods and less of it), but I am much more faithful with the exercise. In fact, I need to go get my second exercise session in for today (yes, I'm bragging, but it's the truth!). Before, I was the poster child for couch potatoes, now, I get 1-2 exercise sessions per day.

I think that if you will clarify and focus on what your motivations are for investing in your health (whether it is good health, long life, etc.); some of these obstacles will take care of themselves.

You can do it!!

Best wishes.

I'm surprised about how many of you have answered that you wear stretchy knit pants for walking, but then also how many of you *don't* change clothes afterward. Are y'all actually wearing stretchy pants all day? I don't think that will work for me...:001_huh: Do they even make stretchy knit pants to fit a woman my size? The mere thought is scary...:eek: I don't think I've seen pants like that in stores around here...a sz.20?

the kids are all down. I walk with socks on and the safety cord attached to my blouse so that if I fall the treadmill will stop. I try to walk 2 miles everyday at 2.9 miles per hour. If I go any faster, I feel like I'm running and I don't want to jog. As you can guess, I'm not the most coordinated person around. I've been slowly increasing the elevation 0.5 degree each week.

I do keep starting over when I feel really tired and skip, or one of the kids gets sick or I have my period and just don't feel up to it. So I still haven't made it to 3 degrees elevation yet :-)

Don't know if the speed I'm going at is helping but it's what I'm willing to do and it's better than nothing. I enjoy my time watching basketball (Spurs).

One funny thing: I didn't realize at first that I'm supposed to plug in my weight when the treadmill starts up so I used to think that I was burning so many calories (because it was set at my husband's weight). Boy, was I depressed when I found out.

Blessings,

Sandra

I live in Toronto Canada, so it's hot in the summer and cold and/or snowy in the winter. I walk for well-being, but don't focus on making it a workout. I walk every day, with my dog, rain, shine, snow, sleet. Otherwise, he pees in the house! (Excellent motivation, I must say.)

I walk between 10 and 12 noon. I try to walk for 30 minutes and ALWAYS take my ipod and listen to podcasts. This is hugely enjoyable for me, and makes me look forward to being out, even if the weather is bad. I also take photographs of interesting things I see on my walk and sometimes blog about them.

I wear whatever I have on at the time, and may or may not change afterwards, depending on my plans for the rest of the day. I use a clinical strength deodorant so I don't sweat heavily, just get a "sheen" all over for a few minutes and then it's gone. I live in an urban residential area with some sidewalks. I have a few different routes I walk, but basically they are big loops that take about 30 minutes. I have a northbound one that is over streets without sidewalks most of the way, and a southbound one that is all sidewalks. I sometimes walk to a local off-leash dogpark that is about 1 km away (0.6 miles) and let the dog play for half an hour and then walk back.

I don't make excuses because I truly enjoy being outside, listening to my ipod, and walking with my dog. Plus I don't have any choice....he needs to get out. So it's all good!

Janet

Yoga pants, sports bra, workout shirt (used to just wear a t-shirt but I now have a nice collection of workout shirts)

I do change for walking and typically wear the workout clothes until I get around to showering, which may or may not happen.

Mornings or evenings. Weekends, I usually walk mid-morning to early afternoon. (Those are usually my long walks.)

I get as far away from my house as quickly as possible, so I have to walk home and actually get all my miles in. I'm rather lazy, and will try to take the easy way out.

I only walk on a treadmill if I absolutely have to. It's boring, and too easy to decide to be done (that laziness again). I also tend to go slower on the treadmill, so I'd prefer to be outside and get the iles done more quickly.

Don't hurt yourself! Walk at a speed that is comfortable for you. When you get into a good routine, then you can begin increasing your speed.

I like yoga pants because they don't ride up. A good friend wears bike shorts under her workout shorts, to prevent chafing, which may be another option for you.

My fingers swell up when I walk--to the point of some pretty extreme discomfort. Anyone have this and actually resolve it somehow? And no, swinging my hands more or less doesn't seem to help at all.

Keep your hands raised. When training with friends for a 3-Day walk we did a few years back, we used to fight over who got to push the stroller because it kept our hands raised so they wouldn't swell. Try holding on to the treadmill bar, or even holding a water bottle in your hand.

Keep your hands raised. When training with friends for a 3-Day walk we did a few years back, we used to fight over who got to push the stroller because it kept our hands raised so they wouldn't swell. Try holding on to the treadmill bar, or even holding a water bottle in your hand.

:iagree:

I like hold on to a pair of light hand weights to remind me to keep my hands up. About chest height is good and they give you something to grip.

If your hands get sweaty at all, get a pair of the kind coated in the black slightly spongy grippy stuff (or wrap them in something). The slick rubbery ones will drive you nuts.

I appreciate each and every reply. For today, at least, I did walk a little.

10 mins. @ 3mph (.5 mi.)

On my treadmill.

In my jeans.

Listening to an audiobook.

I'll shower after dinner.

It's not much, but it's a start. ;)

Good for you. I'm in the same spot where I'm making a ton of excuses, but I really would like to work around the excuses. I don't want to wear exercise clothes all day. Combining exercise clothes, exercise itself, plus a shower makes for a daunting experience. Walking on a treadmill in front of the TV is the most appealing, but also right inside our front door - not real visually appealing. I liked the advice someone gave that they are going out to take a walk everyday, not exercise. That might enable me to start something. Good luck, Julie!

I'm surprised about how many of you have answered that you wear stretchy knit pants for walking, but then also how many of you *don't* change clothes afterward. Are y'all actually wearing stretchy pants all day? I don't think that will work for me...:001_huh: Do they even make stretchy knit pants to fit a woman my size? The mere thought is scary...:eek: I don't think I've seen pants like that in stores around here...a sz.20?

We are bipeds. I don't feel the need to wear special clothes to do something I was made to do. :D

I wear jeans, which are pretty much my uniform. When I do my weekend "exercise" walk, I get sweaty, because I walk a big hill to get my heart rate going, but I don't care about being stinky the rest of the day. I also walk to and from work, no hill. I try to sneak walking into my regular life.

I wear Keen shoes. They wear out pretty quickly, and I don't like having to replace them as often as I need to, but I don't want to have to wear special shoes for walking either. I want my walking shoes to look like regular shoes.

Have you talked to someone at a sports store? Your situation is very different from mine (urban walking) so you probably do need some kind of special shoes to prevent injury.

And really. You're allowed to wear your regular clothes.

Wicking clothing, especially on on top. I live in a tropical climate and cotton clothing can get very heavy and uncomfortable.

Yes.

Yes.

Anytime but the earlier the better.

My children are much younger than yours so I walk where I live.

I am a walker turned runner. I walked from May 09 to September 09 for one hour a day no matter the weather. I am not a strong person. When I started running my right ankle was very very weak. It would just flop over without warning during the day. I talked to a friend at church about it who is also a runner and he showed me some exercises that his chiropractor showed him to strenghen his ankle. He actually had a very serious injury while playing in his backyard. Anyhow, the easiest exercise to explain to you is very simple and I do it whenever I think about it. My ankle seems much stronger now. While I am washing dishes or standing in a line or whatever I stand on one leg. I started out only doing it for 20 seconds at a time. I now do it for up to three minutes.

It sounds like you would benefit from some very supportive shoes. What about walking shoes?

Editing again: I'm just going to keep throwing my excuses out, because you all are providing some of the answers I need. I may as well get *all* of my excuses dealt with right now!

My hands used to swell up when I walked. I just ignored it. I guess I got to the point where I was so out of shape and tired of being tired. I didn't care if my hands swelled or not. In fact, I had an injury called cubital tunnel syndrome. I noticed after about two months of walking that injury resolved. I lost 14 pounds from walking.

Someone on sparkspeople.com recently asked the hand/finger swelling question and I found this article when googling: http://walking.about.com/cs/med/a/swolle

nhands_2.htm

It's good that you're thinking about walking and asking questions. It took me 22 years. :) I'm 42 now and I thought about it since the age of 20.

~Karen~

I wear shorts, a t-shirt, and my Nikes with sports orthotics.

I mostly wear shorts and a t-shirt, so the only changing I regularly do to workout is to switch shoes. My everyday shoes have my "everyday" orthotics (that's what the podiatrist called them) and my workout shoes have my sports orthotics. The sports orthotics have a higher arch and are stiffer. I would love to wear those all the time because they make my feet feel great, but he said to wear them only for workouts.

I do a 45-minute weight workout first and then do a 45 minute walk on the treadmill, so I definitely need a shower afterwards.

I usually start my workouts some time between 1:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon.

I go to the gym.

I set the speed for 4mph, the level for 10 (out of a possible 20), the type of setting for random (meaning that the level will vary from flat up to the level the set it for), and the time for 45 minutes. One of the trainers at the gym likes to have people set the speed for 3-3.5mph, start with it level, and then increase the level by 2 every 2 minutes until reaching the maximum height (maximum is 20, but I don't know if that is in any particular units), so that they walk for a total of 20 minutes and then cool down for 5 minutes at the same speech with the treadmill flat.

At the gym.

...or how you can walk early enough or late enough for it to be dark outside. That would no way feel safe where I live, even though I live in a relatively safe area. I also live in an area where the mosquitoes are *huge*, and West Nile Virus is extremely prevalent.

Excuses....excuses...:nopity::rolleyes:

The only time that I have is very early in the morning.and no I don't feel safe there are a few wild dogs through the bush where I walk. I am terrified of them. there are also millions of mosquitoes, hence my brisk walk. the mosquitoes here have Ross River virus. I had it 2 years ago , so now I have immunity from it.

Really it boils down to me wanting to loose a little weight against my fear of spooky things in the dark.

Good walking shoes or walking boots (depending on the terrain)

No, but I live in a cool climate

I don't now but did when I lived in Hong Kong (hotter and more humid)

It varies - often I walk while a child is at an activity

I vary it - whatever is pleasant

I don't have a treadmill but walking slowly is definitely the way to start. Build up to faster walking as your fitness improves. You may find that you have fewer ankle problems as your muscles develop and are more able to support them.

Laura

ETA: I was walking at 3.5 on my treadmill, but always seemed to hurt myself. 3.0 feels good, but I'm thinking that might be too slow to be worthwhile?

I don't walk outside because I have an issue with easily twisting my ankles. My mom claims that it's because they were "wrong" when I was born. She says the doc wanted to basically break both of my ankles and reset them in a more correct position, but she wouldn't let them do it. She says now that she should have let them do it, and apologizes profusely, because she believes that I never became athletic because of the constant ankle problems.

Definitely not lame questions!

I walk on a treadmill during the winter. I usually walk at 4.0 and walk for an hour or 5 miles..whichever comes first.

I have exercise pants from lands end and some shirts from there that I walk it. I sweat a lot and usually do my walking first thing and then hit the shower. Before moving into this apartment I walk 5 miles in the country..I absolutely loved it. Slapped on the ipod and took off with the dog. :)

Oh..about your fingers swelling I have had this problem from time to time...drink lots of water and flex your hands when you walk. It will help.

Good luck...walking is fun, download good music, put a show on your ipod and just walk. :)

Oh, Julie, I hear you on all the excuses for not exercising. My mom used to joke that I could go toe-to-toe with all her "old biddy" friends in comparing ailments. Bad back, bad neck, bad knees, ankles that twist easily, bad achilles tendons. But, for me, the cost of not exercising (osteoporosis, diabetes to name a few) is greater than the cost of exercising.

I walk in the early morning before the kids are up so that I can get sweaty, then shower and change before school. I have a workout partner (a dear homeschooling mom friend who has similar goals) so idea of disappointing her by blowing her off is what gets me out of bed. I will be meeting her after I finish typing this:).

We walk outside when weather permits. (Windchills below zero, precipitation and icy conditions are reasons not to be outside:).) Otherwise, we meet indoors to do the elliptical machines. Whenever I try to walk too fast, I injure something - my hip, my achilles tendon ... something. So, we started walking with Nordic poles. This helps building the intensity of the workout without having to add speed. People usually ask us where the snow is or if we are training for the Birkebinder (a cross country ski race in our area - I have never been on cross country skis:).) Walking outside is good for my disposition - fresh air is so important because, with my fatigue problems, I can be a lazy slug at times.

As far as the twisty ankles, see if you can get someone to teach you how to tape your ankles or get a brace to give you more support. I use all sorts of aids to help keep me going and avoid pain. Good luck.

Ellen mentioned walking with a friend. That reminded me of an email I received last May. The same week I decided to start walking I received an email from a friend in our homeschool group. She made up a program that focused on taking care of yourself. You simply gave yourself points for things such as flossing daily, taking a walk, stretching, eating veggies and fruits of varied colors throughout the day, strength training, reading your bible, doing a random act of kindness, etc. You then totalled up all your points daily. This was very encouraging for me. We met once a week at a local park to walk as a group. Maybe you could find a friend nearby like that. It can just be someone who is willing to take a walk with you just one day a week.

A couple more things ... I get good, supportive shoes. I got fitted from our local running store because I have pronation issues. This helps prevent injuries. I think I am due for a new pair :(.

I wear workout wear because my goal is fitness, so I work up a sweat. In the winter, under my coat, I wear an Underarmor type shirt and running tights under my warm up pants. I did buy runner's mittens made of some high tech material that is lightweight, but keeps my hands pretty warm. I wear fleece headband to cover my ears or I wear a balaclava on really cold days. In warmer weather - a t shirt and capris and maybe a sweatshirt depending.

In the winter, we are walking in the dark. Our neighborhoods are fairly safe as is the walking path by my house. There are people out running, cycling or rollerblading so we pass many of the same people. We have reflective tape on our walking poles so we are visible.

I read some suggestions of taping your ankles and wearing an ankle brace. I think it is better to buy a supportive shoe and strengthen the ankle itself via simple exercises. Considering the birth history your mother shared with you the more support you have the better. Spending money on the front end will be less exspensive than co pays for doctors and physical therapists on the back end.

You seem to have a lot of great answers here, so I'll focus on ankles as I have crappy ankles and I walk regularly.

First of all, you should go see a good podiatrist to see if there is really something wrong with your ankles or not. Medicine has advanced a lot in the last 30-40 years! The doctor can give you strenthening exercises to do, and can let you know if a brace would be helpful.

I used to get a severe ankle sprain at least once per year. I finally went to a podiatrist, and he told how I should really be treating an ankle sprain- in a boot for at least 2 weeks. If you do not immobilize the ankle, the ligaments will heal up all stretched out, leading to more ankle sprains. He also told me the best physical therapy for ankles... standing on one foot. This uses all the small supporting muscles of the foot and ankle. Stand on each foot for one minute numerous times throughout the day. When that's easy, try it with your eyes shut.

I have not sprained an ankle in (knock on wood) 3 years. I still trip and step in holes, and feel my ankles start to twist occasionally, but my foot is now stronger and coordinated enough to avoid injury.

Julie, thanks so much for starting this thread. I really needed to read it!

I live in a beautiful rural area, have 120 acres of private trails to walk/hike. I have great doggie companions to go with me, and a fun 11yo dd who would benefit from the extra exercise also. I've got it all... and I still haven't gotten myself in gear and started walking regularly.:confused:

There's too much mud, it's too cold, I'm too busy, I just don't feel like it. Wow--I can hear the whining in my voice even through the computer.

But you all have inspired me and I am going to try hard to get this started. Thanks again, Julie and all the others who have posted here.

Julie, thanks so much for starting this thread. I really needed to read it!

I live in a beautiful rural area, have 120 acres of private trails to walk/hike. I have great doggie companions to go with me, and a fun 11yo dd who would benefit from the extra exercise also. I've got it all... and I still haven't gotten myself in gear and started walking regularly.:confused:

There's too much mud, it's too cold, I'm too busy, I just don't feel like it. Wow--I can hear the whining in my voice even through the computer.

But you all have inspired me and I am going to try hard to get this started. Thanks again, Julie and all the others who have posted here.

Amazing, isn't it? I can't believe so many people have posted, and every single post has been so helpful! (And not one person treated me like the ninny I know I'm being about this...:001_smile:)

I did my slow 10 minutes yesterday, and I'm gonna do another slow 10 minutes today, and thanks to the encouragement, I'm going to try and feel good about it rather than like it's so slow and so short that it's worthless.

Amazing, isn't it? I can't believe so many people have posted, and every single post has been so helpful! (And not one person treated me like the ninny I know I'm being about this...:001_smile:)

I did my slow 10 minutes yesterday, and I'm gonna do another slow 10 minutes today, and thanks to the encouragement, I'm going to try and feel good about it rather than like it's so slow and so short that it's worthless.

Yep, Julie, you've got to talk to yourself differently.

Say something like, "Rah, rah, rah! I completed ten minutes! I'm killing it. I'm in the game." When you think you're slow ask yourself, "Slow compared to what?" Are you moving faster than when you're sitting on your butt? Good. You're in the game. Are you off the couch? Good. You're in the game. If you get off the couch or out of a chair and you move that is worthwhile and not worthless.

There's a guy named Jonathan Roche. He has a podcast called No Excuses Workout. He's affiliated with the FlyLady. He is so encouraging and he uses all of the phrases I've used above to encourage people who think they are slow and that their effort is worthless.

Go, Julie, go! Rah, rah, rah!:party::party:

Yep, Julie, you've got to talk to yourself differently.

Say something like, "Rah, rah, rah! I completed ten minutes! I'm killing it. I'm in the game." When you think you're slow ask yourself, "Slow compared to what?" Are you moving faster than when you're sitting on your butt? Good. You're in the game. Are you off the couch? Good. You're in the game. If you get off the couch or out of a chair and you move that is worthwhile and not worthless.

There's a guy named Jonathan Roche. He has a podcast called No Excuses Workout. He's affiliated with the FlyLady. He is so encouraging and he uses all of the phrases I've used above to encourage people who think they are slow and that their effort is worthless.

Go, Julie, go! Rah, rah, rah!:party::party:

Golly, Karen! I didn't realize just how emotional I am about this...now I'm crying. I wish you were my neighbor and IRL friend. You give me hope.

Julie, I'm a larger size than you, by a lot, and I wear yoga pants from Old Navy. Yes, they "cling" but they are long enough - usually a big problem for me - and they are the MOST comfortable things I own. You'd do fine in an XL or maybe even a L. They don't stretch out and get that baggy butt and knees that sweats do. They are my new fav thing, so much so that I now own 6 pair! NO EXCUSES that I have nothing to wear. They might be hot as summer approaches, but I'll tackle that later!

I also had to find shoes that help with over-pronation, which is the term when you walk on the outside of your foot that tends toward ankle twisting. I also have plantar fasciitis. I wear running shoes because they tend to have more heel support, and are lighter than walkers. I got some insoles that help with PF, and I wear a larger size than my normal shoe to accomodate the insole, and socks. Plus a larger size, or wider width, or even a men's will have a larger toe box that will help with your ankle issues.

So yes, I wear a special outfit. I guess I just feel like I'm gearing up to do it. It makes me feel like I can and should push more, like I'm really exercising, if I wear the correct clothes. But I'm not really a big sweater - no matter how hard I push (and this is something I want to work on), so I often can wait to shower for a while. So I can come home from a walk, get breakfast and get some school stuff started before I take a break and take a shower.

HTH! You can do it!!!:D

Golly, Karen! I didn't realize just how emotional I am about this...now I'm crying. I wish you were my neighbor and IRL friend. You give me hope.

Awwwwww, Julie. You're a doll. I've BTDT for over 20 years. As Jillian Michaels tells some of the contestants on her show *The Biggest Loser* I used to have a story going on in my head that I would replay over and over and over again. Whether or not you like or dislike her attitude and the drama I can so relate to what she is saying and shouting.

I do think that the Lord knows just what we need to hear and He does even care about us getting into shape. It helps us to minister to others. Getting into shape has changed so many things in my life.

As far as I'm concerned you are my worthwhile neighbor and IRL friend, made in the image of God. :)

The only time that I have is very early in the morning.and no I don't feel safe there are a few wild dogs through the bush where I walk. I am terrified of them. there are also millions of mosquitoes, hence my brisk walk. the mosquitoes here have Ross River virus. I had it 2 years ago , so now I have immunity from it.

Really it boils down to me wanting to loose a little weight against my fear of spooky things in the dark.

Melissa,

Your post is very interesting. I read a book on Australia yesterday by Sharon Gordon, from the SOTW 2 book list. It's fun to read a message from an Australian writing about the bush the day after I read about it. The wild dogs sound scarey. I am very afraid of dogs and met two naughty contrary dogs on two different runs. I carry MACE for dogs with me now.

~Karen~

Karen, have you ever used your mace on a dog? When we used to live in Tampa, I had my neighborhood route to walk/run and there were a couple of dogs I had to spray.

In my mind's eye, I expected them to instantly start yapping and run for cover with their tails tucked between their legs. However, that was not the case in either instance. Both times I didn't spray until the dogs came out onto the sidewalk after me. I sprayed and they slowed down but kept moving toward me but after several more steps stopped and snorted. I sprayed again and they kind of cocked their heads and stood there. I passed on by. The next day they came running across their yards toward me but stayed farther away. The third day, they got up and barked but didn't come running. And finally, after about a week, they didn't even bother to get up.

So in my experience, and this has been about 15 years ago so products may have changed, mace was not a "stop 'em dead in their tracks and make 'em turn tail and run" solution. The other issue is to be SURE you know which way the wind is blowing before you spray! It would be terrible to accidentally incapacitate yourself and then have to deal with an aggressive dog.:001_huh:

What do you wear when you walk? Shorts and a sports bra with loose top. (treadmill only)

Do you change clothes just for walking, then change back? Yes

Do you find that you need to shower after you walk for exercise? Yes, unless I'm not feeling well and went slow that day.

What time of day do you walk? The time that I can fit into our family routine is actually dinner time (or right after).

How do you pick your route if you walk outside? NA

If you walk on a treadmill, what speed do you walk, and for how long? 3.7 ave with a 1 incline. I walk for around 30 minutes.

Where does your treadmill live? my bedroom

I walked a couple of times where I set myself a slower pace, and did not hurt myself, but felt like I was slacking off. I think it's good to listen to your body. Start out at what feels comfortable and work on slowly increasing time and pace. Even at a slower pace, you are still burning calories and you are starting to build up your stamina.

My fingers swell up when I walk--to the point of some pretty extreme discomfort. Anyone have this and actually resolve it somehow? And no, swinging my hands more or less doesn't seem to help at all. I haven't heard of this, I would run that one by your doctor. :confused:

and btw, I exercise on the treadmill because I prefer to exercise while watching a favorite show. It passes time better for me, plus I'm such an introvert that I really don't want to power walk around my neighborhood - even if the fresh air might be nice.

I never take it to a run because of a bad knee. At most when feeling energetic and fit, I power walk at a 4.1. Also, I like to "mix it up" a bit when I'm on there. I might push to 4.0 or so for as long as I can stand it, then back off to 3.0 to recover, then finish at a constant 3.7 etc.... I feel differently on a daily basis, so I just go by how I feel. Last night I wasn't feeling so great, but went on anyway at only 3.3 - 3.5 for just 20 min. It's better than nothing.

I hope this helps some....

Oh, and if you're thinking of adding this to lose weight, it works and is enough. I lost 30 pounds last summer and this is the only exercise I did. I walk on my treadmill about every other day is all.

Karen, have you ever used your mace on a dog? When we used to live in Tampa, I had my neighborhood route to walk/run and there were a couple of dogs I had to spray.

In my mind's eye, I expected them to instantly start yapping and run for cover with their tails tucked between their legs. However, that was not the case in either instance. Both times I didn't spray until the dogs came out onto the sidewalk after me. I sprayed and they slowed down but kept moving toward me but after several more steps stopped and snorted. I sprayed again and they kind of cocked their heads and stood there. I passed on by. The next day they came running across their yards toward me but stayed farther away. The third day, they got up and barked but didn't come running. And finally, after about a week, they didn't even bother to get up.

So in my experience, and this has been about 15 years ago so products may have changed, mace was not a "stop 'em dead in their tracks and make 'em turn tail and run" solution. The other issue is to be SURE you know which way the wind is blowing before you spray! It would be terrible to accidentally incapacitate yourself and then have to deal with an aggressive dog.:001_huh:

No, I haven't used it yet. The first time I had nothing. The first dog was very very bad and mean. God protected me and I got out of that situation somehow. I couldn't find any rock or stick or anything. I thought about climbling upon an old beater car that was next to me but I was afraid he would come up after me. I was running four miles that day and had only ran three miles. I am stubborn so I took a shortcut home. I called 911 to ask for help. I asked the boys for their biggest baseball bat and ran my last mile with that. The mean dog came out of nowhere again. I lost all my religion and used every curse word I know and threatened it with my bat. The dog cowered away.

The next dog was very small and I shouted, "Sit and go home!" and it walked away. I kept my eye on the dog and my hand on the spray as I walked away.

I understand being careful to consider the wind. I read that on the instructions. For a while I ran with a big stick but that is a bit cumbersome.

The police officer that responded to my call that day also said that you have to make sure you have a good aim on mean dogs. He told me he shot at a pitbull recently and missed. :S

There are some very aggressive dogs like pit bulls and Rotweilers that some of my neighbors own. Maybe I should ask my husband to get me a stun gun. My friend runs at 4 AM and runs with a stun gun. She says they can disarm animals and small children. I'm a little nervous about having a stun gun in the house. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

In the meantime I run with the dog MACE and ask the Lord to watch over me. :)

When I'm not running on the treadmill, I'm walking. :) I warm up first, stretch and then start at 3.5 mph and move up to 4.0 mph over the course of 35-60 minutes depending on how much time I have. I put the incline between 1 and 3.

I wear workout clothes and just wear my running shoes because I sweat! lol

Yay for you! It's really not worthless, I promise you. A good friend's father began walking last year, and he started out at the same point you are at. 20 minute mile, and could barely walk a mile at the beginning. He has lost a ton of weight, and has increased his speed to 14-15 minute mile, and he's planning on doing a half-marathon this summer. He has faithfully walked 3-4 days a week, and slowly (very slowly) built up his distance. Slow and steady wins the race. You're doing great!

Today I did a slow 3/4 mile. It may not be much, but at least I'm in the game. ;)

That's definitely the way to start. This is grammar stage; logic stage will come when your muscles have learned the basics and then you can start to fly. Many of us never reach rhetoric stage, but that's okay - I'm happy with an 8th grade education in walking.

Laura

Melissa,

Your post is very interesting. I read a book on Australia yesterday by Sharon Gordon, from the SOTW 2 book list. It's fun to read a message from an Australian writing about the bush the day after I read about it. The wild dogs sound scarey. I am very afraid of dogs and met two naughty contrary dogs on two different runs. I carry MACE for dogs with me now.

~Karen~

the dogs are cross dingos. they are probably harmless. I have only seen them in the distance. but I am sacred of them , especially in the dark where there is all sorts of noises etc. that my imagination can turn into a pack of dogs. I really think it helps me to walk briskly. I see huge amounts of wallabies and kangaroos on my walk. In fact I am more in danger of tripping over a wallaby in the dark than getting attacked by a dog.