Menu

Where do you buy childrens books for a good price?

My DD is turning 3 in a few weeks and she is very into books. But gosh, I do not want to spend $15 or $20 on a book that's going to take 5 minutes to read to her. Where do you find nice childrens books for a decent price? I'm wondering if places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army have books in good condition? Does anyone know of any place else that may have them?

Most of the books I buy come from used book stores and thrift stores.

Thrift stores (including GCF) often sell books .50 for paperback/1.00 for hardcovers. I used to live in an area with lots of HSers, and found SO MANY fabulous books for these prices at GCF.

I pay more in library fines now!:tongue_smilie:

I have found some in the local thrift stores, but in my experience, most tend to be worn out and dated.

I've actually found that grocery stores are sometimes a good place to buy children's books. A lot of them have a large bin of clearance books, and you can often find some surprisingly good books that way for only a couple dollars.

I find alot on my dd books from amazon. I have been able to find some at the Friends of the Library books sales, thrift stores, good will. Books a Million and other bookstores usually have clearance tables or by 2 get 1 free.

Edited by lynn

Apart from looking for cheap books, make sure that when you spend money on new books, you spend on quality books. We bought a pack of Five in a Row books, for instance, and although I didn't like the programme, the books were some of the best we've bought. It's also a great time to start picking up books on mythology (esp Greek, Roman, Egyptian) which will be used later for your history studies. And kids books might take minutes to read, but they are read again and again and again. Dd is now 9yrs, and she will still happily listen to her picture books if I am reading them to her brother.

Nikki

Have you checked your library book sale? Ours has a wide range of children's books that are in excellent condition. They charge $.10 each (prices will obviously vary). I have acquired an excellent library of books utilizing my book sale. I would also check thrift stores, but really check the books out.

Our best source has been the annual Friends of the Library sale. Ours has kids' paperbacks for $.50 and kids' hardbacks for $1.00. There are library discards as well as many donated books. My next best stop is a used bookstore here that has a good selection. A little more expensive than the library sale, but much cheaper than a regular bookstore. Finally our home school group does a used curriculum sale in June and lots of people bring regular books to sell too.

The Friends of the Library bookshop at our library, Bookman's used bookstore (if you live in the Phoenix Metro Area or Tucson this will be an option), secondhand picks at Hastings bookstore (when we lived in TX, they aren't in large metro markets), and of course checking books out of the library have all been biggies for us. Look into summer kids discounts on books, and most stores (Hastings, for example, w/ 20% off) extend their educator discounts to homeschoolers. You can use this even when "homeschooling" your preschooler, depending on the store.

My DD is turning 3 in a few weeks and she is very into books. But gosh, I do not want to spend $15 or $20 on a book that's going to take 5 minutes to read to her. Where do you find nice childrens books for a decent price? I'm wondering if places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army have books in good condition? Does anyone know of any place else that may have them?

I also go for the 4 for 3 discount at Amazon. Get their Chase Card and you get money back.

Goodwill, here, is the best, but go every week and just run through the books.

... has an Acts 2 table where people lay out books and curriculum materials for others to take, free. It's a really nice way to move things around.

Also there is a church near here that has what amounts to a free rummage sale twice a year. Gently used clothes, sundries, kitchen stuff, knickknacks, and books are laid out all over a big parish hall, and, again, anyone can take anything for free. At one of these events a few years back I picked up 10 middle school Newbery books! Leftovers are taken to a charity that gives everything away for free to almost homeless families.

Also, you might want to consider buying a few really special ones. Although they are short, you do read them over and over.

Sometimes places like Goodwill and Salvation Army have good books, you just have to look. I also look at yard sales; buy from my local library's yearly sales; buy from used bookstores; buy from discount bookstores; and buy used books online.

With very sturdy, cardboard type books, you can wipe them down when you get them. With others, you may be able to spray lightly with Lysol.

Around here, we have Half Price Books. Places like Books a Million and Barnes and Noble always have big sale book displays for children. Places like T.J. Maxx and Marshalls also have book racks in their children's toy sections, and so does Tuesday Morning. All those books are offered at discounted prices.

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions!! Tomorrow I think I'll hit a couple thrift stores around here and see what I can find. And I'll definitely have to hit the Friends of the Library Sale whenever it happens.

I do get some great books at used curriculum sales, but those aren't till a few months away. The thrift stores seem like my best bet before her birthday.

I've been buying children's books like crazy lately, especially vintage ones. I mostly buy from library bookstores. The library we go to is in a wealthy area so the books are usually in excellent condition, and range from current popular titles, old quality collections that have been sitting in grandmas house since the 50's. Most of the books are $.50 but I'll pay as much as $2 for a nice hard cover.

Garage sales are also a good place, the prices around here start at $.10 to maybe $1. The best ones around here are when the high schools have garage sales, or a church rummage sale. There will be tons of books to go through and they'll always lower the price if you buy a stack. It's all about not being shy and bargaining for a lower price.

Thrift stores are also good.

Amazon when I'm too excited to wait, or if the title is to obscure.

In my little Stickville county, I've been amazed at what I see at the Friends of the Library book sales. Many, many people donate books specifically to the Friends, and these books are sold at monthly book sales for $.50 or less.

In contrast, the books sold by the library are no longer suitable for circulation, and these are the books I avoid. (Although I am waiting for the Thornton Burgess books to go on sale, even in their poor condition!)

I have found some in the local thrift stores, but in my experience, most tend to be worn out and dated.

This has been my experience too. A few times I've scored some treasures, but mainly it's a waste of time around here. I'll agree with the others on the library book sales (to which I'm hopelessly addicted). Try this site to find the ones near you:

http://www.booksalefinder.com/

I love Paperbackswap too. I only discovered it after I had decluttered a great majority of the books I didn't need anymore, but I found that you can buy credits for the site for about $3.50 or so, which is not much more than you'd pay to mail a book, and which supports the site directly. I've saved SO MUCH money on school books that way--I've gotten Galloping the Globe, Five in a Row manuals, RS4K books, go-alongs for my WP and SOTW plans, etc. It's more expensive than library book sales, of course, but good for fulfilling specific needs you might have.

In contrast, the books sold by the library are no longer suitable for circulation, and these are the books I avoid. (Although I am waiting for the Thornton Burgess books to go on sale, even in their poor condition!)

I've actually gotten so lucky with library-bound books. Often, around here, they seem to be books that no one has really been interested in, so I've gotten some very nice hardcover living books for just about nothing! And I found a first-edition copy of Burgess' Whitefoot the Wood Mouse at the last sale I went to :D It's not in perfect condition, but I love it anyway. Now if I could only convince DD7 to let me read it to her *sigh*