Menu

Tell me about cloth diapers

Lots of great all in ones make it easy. I got those for dh and the church nursery workers to use. Work the same as disposable. They can be expensive though. (Bumgenius and bumkins are popular)

For the majority of the time, though, I used cloth flat diapers with a diaper clip and a plastic cover. Super simple to use and cheap.

Search google for reviews on cloth diapers. There are tons!! 10 minutes of searching will help you be much more comfortable with them.

Check this one out: http://www.diaperpin.com/howto.asp

Edited by MSNative
added link

I used cloth diapers for our last 3 kids. I wouldn't have changed a thing. We prefer Fuzzi Bunz for smaller ages (like newborn) and BumGenius AIO for the older babies (you get your money's worth).

Cloth diapers save you an incredible amount of money. We would normally spend about $100 a month on disposable diapers.

We currently have a 5 yro and 2 yro in overnight pull-ups and that's getting to be expensive. I miss the cloth diaper days...

Oh, yeah, all my kids potty-trained right around 24 months. They can feel when they pee and it gives them a headstart on associating so they can potty-train.

recently discovered rumparooz and loves them. They are a one size fits all the way from birth to potty training because of an ingenious snap system and they have an infamous pooper scooper and adjustable insert. They are pricey, but I ordered her one for a baby gift from the diaperjunction.com. They had very fast service with reasonable shipping and they also offer a points system where you can earn free diapers based on how much money you spend.

HTH,

Joy

Cloth diapering is not my favorite thing, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. We use Indian Prefolds with Thirsties Covers and a Snappi (instead of pins) most of the time. We have 2 BumGenius Pocket diapers for when we go out.

All told, I'd say I spend maybe an hour a week more to take care of them than disposables. Our diaper stash for birth to potty training cost about $350.

One thing I didn't consider is how much bulkier they are than disposables. My daughter is pretty skinny and her pants are very tight on her when she wears cloth and falling off her when she wears disposables. Not the end of the world, but I don't think her clothes look as cute on when she wears cloth, because baby clothes are built for disposables.

Finally, lots of people say they get fewer rashes with cloth, and I have just not found this to be the case. We change her diapers often, but she just has a lot harder time with the cloth than disposables.

If you're in it for the environment or money, I highly recommend them. If you're in it for fun... I probably wouldn't recommend them. Hope that helps!

My 4th baby was my first in cloth diapers, and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner!

My favorite covers are Thirsties (the size range is great!). I liked prefolds when ds was an infant, but preferred fitteds when he got squirmy. I mostly made my own fitteds, but Thirsties and Little Lions have been pretty good, too.

I used flats and prefolds with pins with our second. With #3, I bought Fuzzibunz and Happy Heinys until he was a year old or so, then bought 2 dozen BottomBumpers second hand when he grew out of those. I still had prefolds and inexpensive fitted diapers with wool covers for at home, but I loved the all-in-one diapers for trips out of the house.

We used Bum Genius AIO's as they were very easy for my husband to change. We added hemp liners at night to up the absorbency and they were perfect. Much cheaper than disposable especially when you factor in that we used them for 2 kids and resold them for $8 each.

If you want, you can join diaperswappers.com, which is a forum almost like this one, but devoted to cloth diapering. You can have any question you ever heard of answered there.

My personal experience is that prefolds are the cheapest option, and wool covers the most effective. I don't, however, use prefolds all that much. My preferred diapers are called Piddle Poddles and Goodmamas which have a higher initial cost, (although you can buy them used at Spots Corner for a lot less!) but are comfy and really easy to use, with wool covers or longies (legged covers). For going out we use Happy Heinies, like the PPs, which go on just like disposables. :)

ETA: the other thing I recommend to anyone who asks is a diaper sprayer--makes cleaning them off SOOOO much easier!

Edited by Caitilin

I love pocket style cloth nappies. I made and sold my own one size fits all for a while. They are easy to use and care for. I had more trouble with newborn pooplosions in sposies than i did in cloth.

The very cheapest option for cloth nappying is prefolds and covers. I love the Bummis covers because once they are about 5kg they will fit in the small cover and my kids never outgrew the medium so only needing 2 sizes was a big cost saver. 3 of each size and you are basically set. I personally love bamboo prefolds because they are super soft and super absorbent. You don't need anywhere near as many layers as you do for cotton prefolds. I also found the bamboo prefolds to provide a slim fitting option.

I love cloth!!

I used cloth for both of our kids.

For affordability and simplicity, I used prefolds (unbleached Chinese or Indian cotton) purchased by the dozen, and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers. IMO it's worth the couple extra $ for the printed covers over the white because they don't accidentally get laid down inside out. When the prefolds were too long (when I had switched from infant size to premium size but baby was not yet tall enough for premium size) I did the "bikini twist" fold. It was super absorbent in the right area and a very trim fit.

For nights I used Fuzzi Bunz stuffed with two hemp/cotton inserts. I made a lot of inserts myself by buying the hemp/cotton terry from verybaby.com, putting four layers of it together in a rectangle, and finishing the edges with a tight zig-zag stitch. You can also buy pre-made hemp inserts that are not name-brand and are pretty affordable.

I think we're going to use the new Flip diaper system for the kiddo who will be joining us in the spring. They're from the people who make bumgenius. As far as I can see, they've been getting some really good reviews. I'm drawn to them because they're one size, not intimidating for my DH who isn't thrilled about the idea of cloth diapering, and from what I've heard, a little less bulky than some.

We'll use disposables when the baby is first born. I've heard that most babies don't fit into them that well until they're 9 lbs or so.

Oh, how I miss those days:ohmy:! I loved my high quality prefolds and never found a problem with pinning...especially for my active kiddos, pinning kept them dry and we never had any problems. I loved my bummis covers, and had some All-in-Ones that I rarely used b/c they took so long to dry, LOL. Oh.... and I loved my WOOL covers, too!

I had a diaper pail I kept filled with Dr. Bronners Lavender and OxiClean, and I still love the smell of Dr. Bronners :-)!!

All my kids were super early potty trainers compared to disposable using friends' kids -- and I think it is common -- they feel the wet and don't like it :D.

as for newborns, we used liners in the dipes and never had an issue...I didn't want chems that close to my babes' new bottoms...perhaps you can look for the non-toxic types at Whole Foods. We used those on vacation once and found them fine...though we did use our covers on top.

Enjoy!

I am using cloth for my newborn twins and cloth pull ups for my 3 and 6 yo boys. Saves a ton of money. The babies are using fuzzi bunz one-size pocket diapers. They are adjustable in the leg and waist and will go 7/8 pound baby to 35 pounder - for many that's birth to potty training. They are as easy as disposable for my dh and my mom to use and super simple to wash - I can't recommend them enough. My older 2 boys use happy heineys pull up pocket trainers.

We're cloth diapering our baby (he's our 3rd, but the first one we've CD'd). I really like it so far, but I agree...all the choices can be very overwhelming initially!

I agree with the PP who said you could glean tons of info from a site like diaperswappers.com. Really great info and friendly moms there!

We use prefolds with Thirsties, MotherEase and Bummis covers. I also use a "generic" pocket diaper called Sweet Doll Baby...they are cheaper than BumGenius and so far, I have no complaints.

I wash every 2 to 3 days and it's really not added that much work to my life. I love how much money it is saving us!

We've used pretty much every style out there over the past 8 years and have settled on Fuzzi Bunz one-size as our absolute favorite. They are daddy and babysitter-friendly. They are a pocket diaper, which means you stuff absorbent inserts in between a wick-dry layer of microfleece and a waterproof layer of PUL. I like that I can add more absorbency for a heavy wetter or for night. It takes a fair amount of money to get started, but you recuperate that within a few months. I've got two in diapers and they both use the FB OS. I wash every couple of days because I only have 18 or so. If I had more (or if my 3yo would hurry up and just use the potty :glare:) I wouldn't have to wash as often.

I've tried a lot of different kinds... bumgenius and fuzzi bunz are the most popular and I've finally come to the conclusion that they are the most popular for a reason. I currently use almost all bumgenius one size pockets. The only thing that gets me is the aplix wears out over time and the diapers stick to each other in the wash. So, I do really like the snaps on the fuzzi bunz. The bumgenius are just a little easier for everyone else to work. The snaps on the fuzzi bunz tend to be confusing.

I

ETA: the other thing I recommend to anyone who asks is a diaper sprayer--makes cleaning them off SOOOO much easier!

A diaper duck is a cheaper option. Hook corner of diaper onto the duck, hook duck onto the hinge area of an uplifted seat, drop diaper into toilet, let soak to loosen things, flush.

I used cloth for my 3dc and will again...I had 2 dozen flat and some pins and plain old pants on top. It was the cheapest way to go...I threw them in a bucket and washed 2-3 times a week. We lived inthe sticks and I had a big wash line to hang them on. The sun would really brighten them up. All 3 kids trained around 21 months...easily using the "naked bottom" method. Plus, whenever our nervous Bassett hound peed on the ploor I used them to clean up!

Thanks for all the info ladies. I'm still feeling slightly overwhelmed. I had no idea that cloth diapering had become so complicated.

It looks like the Fuzzibunz are quite popular, so I'm going to look into them next.

Because of our living situation, I did disposables with my last 3 children. The living situation hasn't really changed, but I have. Is this do-able while living in an apartment situation? As in, I can't always have access to the washing machine just because I want it. Sometimes, someone could be in there ALL DAY and I'm SOL.

How many diapers would you need for a newborn?

How much time/effort do you spend washing diapers per week?

How disastrous are the young breast fed baby explosive poopies in a cloth diaper?

I would assume you keep the diapers in need of washing in a lidded container to contain the smell. Yes?

Is there anything else I should be asking and don't know it?

Thanks to all of your for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

I'll add that if you can't wash your own... You could use a service... very easy... and better for babies than the disposables... Just a thought...

:-)

Yeah, but I wanted to avoid that. I would actually rather buy extra diapers to make it longer between washings, if necessary, than go with a service. Did I really just say that?

It's only been 2 1/2 years and I have already forgotten how many diapers a newborn goes through in a day!

I like the idea of the one size fits all. Then I wouldn't have to buy new larger diapers all the time and could invest in a higher quantity of diapers.

Do those of you that cloth diaper also buy some disposables for days when you are away from home all day, baby stays at Grandmas, etc? I can't see carrying dirty diapers around town with me all day or Grandma messing with a cloth diaper.

How many diapers would you need for a newborn? At least 3 dozen if you don't want to be washing every day.

How much time/effort do you spend washing diapers per week? Every 2-3 days I toss them into the washer, run a cold rinse (to get all the pee out), run a hot wash, then an extra rinse, and then throw them in the dryer)

How disastrous are the young breast fed baby explosive poopies in a cloth diaper? MUCH better than in disposables. The poop blows up the back in a disposable diaper. The cloth diapers/covers have elastic in the back that helps to prevent this.

I would assume you keep the diapers in need of washing in a lidded container to contain the smell. Yes? I use a kitchen trash can with a pop-up lid. I have 2 pail liners so I can immediately put in a clean one when I take the other out for washing.

I am currently cloth diapering my 5th child, and have used cloth for all of them. I have tried just about every type of diaper out there. For the last 6 months dd has been wearing flats (with a snappi) with Thirsties Duo Wraps. I love these covers! The size 2 will definitely fit her until she potty trains. The size 1 snaps down nice and small and looks like it will work great on a newborn. I have tried the expensive diapers, but because of hard well water and having trouble getting them clean, I decided to try the flats and I'm so glad I did. They wash up so clean. I also love that I can put several in the diaper bag and they have lots of uses (changing pad, cleaning up messes, etc).

About disposables- when we are out and about, I generally take cloth. Like I said above, we use flats, and I have not found it to be a problem changing dd when we are out. We do use disposables for church nursery and at night. We have used cloth at night quite a bit over the years, but lately I have just found it easier to put dd in disposables at night so she feels dryer. If I could afford to get a few pocket diapers (like BumGenius), I would put her in those at night.

About one-size-fits-all- if you have small newborns, the onesize diapers might be too big for a while. I have large newborns, so that wasn't an issue with mine, but for many people it is. A lot of people get an inexpensive newborn stash (newborn covers and prefolds) and then switch over to the more expensive onesize diapers after a couple of months.

I can't see carrying dirty diapers around town with me all day or Grandma messing with a cloth diaper.

Grandma might be the one who thinks you're the smartest!! And, I had a few "emergency" sets of diapers... Just prefolds and some decent pull on kinda like plastic pants.... but not that material... (Like dappis...) They were cheap..

:-)

I am very tired so here is a summary, lol:

Cloth is awesome.:D

I have friends who don't have a washer and use cloth. They just have enough for the extra day or two.

I have tried just about every kind of diaper and ended up back with prefolds. Dh uses snappis, I use pins. We have a few BumGenius for overnight.

I second checking out diaperswappers. I not only get the cheap diapering system (prefolds and flats), I get them used or trade for them :lol:.

One-size diapers are really most-size diapers. Usually they are too big for newborns but great after that. The BumGenius we have for at night are one-size all-in-ones.

Cloth is generally MUCH better than disposables at containing newborn poo.

I only used a little cloth for the first two months with dd2 but for the one on the way I have 2.5 dozen infant prefolds and 3 dozen preemie prefolds (way more preemies than I need but I traded for them and they can be added to larger diapers for extra absorbency). Should be plenty.

Buy cloth!

K, going to sleep now (2am!!).

I have used cloth on two soon to be three of my (almost) 4 DC. We've tried several but Fuzzi Bunz are our favorites. My Dh will use them and wash them no problem, so that's a major plus for me. If you shop around you can get some great deals and they have a good resale value too.

I also recommend joining diaperswappers.com. Lots of information available there.

If you want to stick with it, keep it simple.;)

Flats and prefolds are easiest to wash/dry.

I've used a mix of cloth & sposies for my dc....and if I had another baby, I would buy several dozen flats and a few good quality wrap covers (for Daddy LOL), dritz pins and dappi nylon pull-on covers.

I would keep a few wrap covers with the dipe already folded and laid in the cover for dh.

That's what the sensible me would do....the dipe fanatic me would probably go shopping...:lol::001_huh::lol:

I like Motherease diapers and covers and also Bummis Super whisper wraps covers that snap...my favorites. For some reason any covers with velcro could get wonky and rub my baby's skin, so I prefer snap covers.

I love cloth diapers. I am using disposables right now (too cold and snowy to hang on the line) but as soon as spring comes, I'll be pulling out the cloth diapers.

When DD was little we used prefolds and wrap covers, mostly. When she got bigger (young toddler, sleeping through the night more or less) we used Fuzzi Bunz at night, with various stuffings for the pockets (inexpensive absorbent rags like you can buy as shop rags or to wash windows work great as stuffers--and so do prefold diapers. It can extend the use time of the infant-sized prefolds). We used some AIO's, but I detested how long they took to get dry. Pocket dipes with folded stuffings that dry quickly, and simple prefolds and wraps, are the way to go, imo.

Oh, and get snappis. Pins aren't great (I was good at poking myself with them), relying on just the wrap to keep the diaper on isn't always a good idea, and snappis really work.

If you want to stick with it, keep it simple.;)

Flats and prefolds are easiest to wash/dry.

I've used a mix of cloth & sposies for my dc....and if I had another baby, I would buy several dozen flats and a few good quality wrap covers (for Daddy LOL), dritz pins and dappi nylon pull-on covers.

I would keep a few wrap covers with the dipe already folded and laid in the cover for dh.

That's what the sensible me would do....the dipe fanatic me would probably go shopping...:lol::001_huh::lol:

Okay, I'm going to be honest here. I remember when my brothers were in diapers.....30ish years ago. My mom had these white, rectangular shaped diapers that were secured with a safety pin with a cutsy blue head on them.

While I do understand about cloth diapering (I read up on the subject, because that's the kind of girl I am), what I'm not understanding I guess is some of the lingo: pre-fold, flat, wrap cover, etc.

Also, picking the diapers is blowing my mind. I feel like I have arrived on an unexplored planet. I remember diapers as rectangular white things you pin together. Now there's these covers, with snaps and designs, in pretty colors, and no pins (that's a plus) and inserts. I've seen disposable inserts, washable inserts, hemp inserts.

I thought this was going to be easy. My problem is determining what is the best kind/brand of diapers for us.

The Fuzzibuns looked nice enough. I was a bit taken a back by the $18.95 each. My husband looked at me like I was pushing my luck, but said that was fine if it's what I want. Do I want them? Hell, I don't know.

I never expected this to be so complicated. The kids are wondering how on Earth anyone could spend so much time online looking at diapers.

I like the idea of the one size fits all. Then I wouldn't have to buy new larger diapers all the time and could invest in a higher quantity of diapers.

I just bought 5 dozen gauze prefolds.

Do those of you that cloth diaper also buy some disposables for days when you are away from home all day, baby stays at Grandmas, etc? I can't see carrying dirty diapers around town with me all day or Grandma messing with a cloth diaper.

Not very often. I just used the plastic bags that came home from the grocery store to put dirty diapers in. It was fine.

I'm going to cloth diaper my 3rd baby who is due in a week. this is my first go around with the cloth diapers. I bought all of mine 2nd hand (some were actually brand new, but had been bought by someone who decided not to use them) I have about 10 all-in-ones (bum genius) and I about 20 or so of the covers that you use the prefolds for (these were hand made, show some wear, but were cheap. I just bought the gerber prefolds at walmart to use with them).

I was overwhelmed at what all was out there, so I just went with what I found cheapest! I have around $150 invested I think, and I imagine I'm set to go.

Good luck!

If you are going to use cloth diapers, I would highly recommend trying to infant potty train as well. My four children have all been in cloth and I infant potty trained all of them "halfway" with great success. By "halfway", I mean that by around 7-9 months old, all their poop was done in the toilet. I just had to wash wet diapers after that, which is really not too grody. They know to pee on the potty as well, but they still wet their diapers until around age two. Today my 11 month old had an "accident" in his diaper (I was kinda busy today and forgot to potty him), and as I was dealing with the diaper I had two main thoughts--"Man, this is gross" and "I'm so glad I don't ever really deal with baby poop on a regular basis." It's been months since his last accident...so the potty training does work and it will make your cloth diapering experience less messy.

There is a ton of info on the web about it, just search "infant potty training" or "elimination communication." Hope that helps!

Okay, I'm going to be honest here. I remember when my brothers were in diapers.....30ish years ago. My mom had these white, rectangular shaped diapers that were secured with a safety pin with a cutsy blue head on them.

While I do understand about cloth diapering (I read up on the subject, because that's the kind of girl I am), what I'm not understanding I guess is some of the lingo: pre-fold, flat, wrap cover, etc.

Also, picking the diapers is blowing my mind. I feel like I have arrived on an unexplored planet. I remember diapers as rectangular white things you pin together. Now there's these covers, with snaps and designs, in pretty colors, and no pins (that's a plus) and inserts. I've seen disposable inserts, washable inserts, hemp inserts.

I thought this was going to be easy. My problem is determining what is the best kind/brand of diapers for us.

The Fuzzibuns looked nice enough. I was a bit taken a back by the $18.95 each. My husband looked at me like I was pushing my luck, but said that was fine if it's what I want. Do I want them? Hell, I don't know.

I never expected this to be so complicated. The kids are wondering how on Earth anyone could spend so much time online looking at diapers.

Prefolds are the rectangular white ones ;). Just don't get Gerber *shudder*. Get real ones. They are more like $2 each as opposed to the $19 of Fuzzi Buns. :) Flats are basically big squares that you fold to whatever shape you like. You need a waterproof cover for either. I love these http://www.little-lions.com/page3.html

and it has some basic info (sizing, types) at the bottom.

I love Motherease Sandy diapers with the Air Flow covers. This is the fourth child I've used this brand with (used Gerber with dd--surprised I survived cloth diapering -- no offense, I'm sure it was just me) and they are one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I truly, truly love Motherease.

Also, with our second child, we bought an Asko front loader. It has an internal heating element (a water heater right there inside the machine), so you know the water gets to exactly the temperature you select. For cloth diapers, we wash at 205 degrees Fahrenheit in the U.S. Here in India we have a front loader that washes at 90 degrees Celsius. I know these diapers are getting clean.

I really think cloth diapers and front loaders go together very well!

How many diapers would you need for a newborn?

How much time/effort do you spend washing diapers per week?

How disastrous are the young breast fed baby explosive poopies in a cloth diaper?

I would assume you keep the diapers in need of washing in a lidded container to contain the smell. Yes?

Is there anything else I should be asking and don't know it?

Thanks to all of your for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

The number you need is going to depend on how often you want to wash. I washed every other to every third day, and used around 2 dozen prefolds and/or fitteds and 8 covers or so. I kept 3 dozen prefolds on hand (in case I couldn't get to the wash or ds was more, um, productive) and about a dozen covers. That number has gone down as he's gotten older.

Explosive bf cloth diapers were exactly as disasterous as explosive bf disposable diapers, imo. My older kids stained plenty of clothes in disposables. The baby stained plenty, but then I learned about sunning out stains on the cd message boards! ;)

I've never used a lidded container. Not that they're a bad thing! I just barely have enough room for a family laundry hamper, let alone a diaper hamper. I used a large wetbag with a drawstring closure and hanged it on my laundry closet's doorknob.

We always use cloth, even when going out. They make travel sized wet bags, but we've also used grocery bags and big ziplocks. When my sister flew in for a visit, she used disposables because she didn't want to fly with dirty diapers or take up much packing room, which made sense.

I used gallon-sized zipper top freezer storage bags to carry dirty diapers in the diaper bag. They are see through so no risk of being mistaken for garbage, and they are totally sealed.

I definitely required pails with a lid to keep in diaper pail smells. I bought Sterilite round trash cans at WM, with clamp-on lids, and lined them with cheap pillowcases, which were washed with the diapers.

You will need to order good quality prefolds online unless you have a local diaper shop. Do NOT buy prefolds in a regular store. The Gerber ones are NOT good.

If you use a wrap cover like a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, you will not need anything else to fasten the prefolds with. The cover holds it on just fine.

Our first had a lot of blowouts in disposables. I switched to cloth because they contained the blowouts so much better. Our second was in cloth from the start. I don't think he ever had a blowout ! IMO prefolds with a good cover are great at containing poop.

I washed diapers about 2x a week. It really was not a big deal to wash them. I washed the diapers and covers together. I put the prefolds and the hemp inserts for the Fuzzi Bunz into the dryer, and hung the covers and Fuzzi Bunz pockets to dry on a little clip hanger thing. When it was nice I dried them outside, but inside works just as well. They were always dry in about 6 hrs hanging indoors. They can be put into the dryer but will keep their newness and water-proof qualities longer without the heat of the dryer.

Edited by Laundrycrisis2