Menu

Dog breed ?s

We are planning to get another family dog after being without one for the last 6 years. Our last dog was a pound puppy mix and we got lucky with temperament and health. We really didn't put any thought into picking one, just based it on cuteness. It ended up that she was a great dog; obedient and good with kids. We will probably go for a mix or rescue dog again because of cost and preference, but I think my husband wants to look at larger breed dogs like a shepherd or lab mix this time. I'll be honest that I don't know much about dog breeds and their typical temperaments. I DO know that I want to avoid any mixed breed with pit bull, rottwieller, chow, or other types which tend to be aggressive. I understand that some people resent the stereotypes and generalizations and have personal experience with wonderful dogs of these breeds. I am not looking for any defense or arguments about stereotyping, but I would like advice on what breeds of dog to be careful of because of aggression, high-strung temperament, etc. We have kids (obviously:)) and cats. Also, any particular favorites and why. Thanks in advance!

I can't speak against any breeds, but I can suggest (if you are looking for mixed breeds to save $) a lab/golden mix. My parents had thiers for 14 years, and he had the best of both breeds - about as perfect a dog as you can get. They just got another - exact same mix. We had a golden (again, pretty much perfect), but pure breeds not only carry the big price $, but also all the hereditary factors.

We have a blue tick hound - he is a rescue, three years old, and he is THE BEST!!!!!!!!! We have had him since July......I have heard him bark three times....only outside and only at squirrels. He fell into our family as if he had always been with us -- he is amazing with our kids - we have three; and, we have two grand-daughters (6 y/o and 4 y/o) and the three of them are fantastic with each other. He is my running partner and he NEVER gets tired. I just cannot say enough about how obedient this dog is. He is great on long trips, and everyone here at the hotel loves him - we have been here for four months now, and most of the guests are shocked that we have a dog in our suite b/c he doesn't make a sound.

We are thinking of getting him a friend and we are looking at another rescue hound -- a Walker Hound. And, that is amazing in and of itself b/c I didn't want even one dog, but that is how much I love Guidry! (See my avatar).

Keep us posted!

Our first family dog was a shepherd-mix (probably corgi)--she was about 70 pounds and was a GREAT dog--she was a 'rescue' from the local shelter (she had been horribly abused/neglected as a pup and had been in re-hab for 6 months before we adopted her).

The next 3 dogs in our family have been full German Shepherds. One was a street-corner bred (he had constant health problems but was a wonderful dog). Our current 2 GSs are registerd from reputable breeders--I researched for over a year to find them. On is a HUGE black and tan and the other (and smarter of the two) is solid white. My 'boys' are great and have wonderful temperments. The white one has had advanced training and is a therapy dog (but we have not had him out much this winter).

Our preference is to the larger STRAIGHT-BACK German Shepherds. These dogs do not have the aggression OR the hip/joint problems that the 'slope-back' bred down (size) ones have (police dog type). Straight-backs are also called 'classic'. Most white shepherds are straight-backs because white was not a desirable color (but it is a NATURAL color) when they started the slope-back breeding in the 1970s (and nearly ruined the breed!).

Our next dog will probably be a pound puppy--and probably a German Shepeherd mix or rescue of some sort....

Another vote for German Shepherds!

We had one when I was born, my uncles had them and I have since had two of my own (one from breeder, one was a rescue).

They are amazing with children and obviously very good watch dogs.

I had one that was a tad too interested in the cat and one that ignored the cat completely.

Are you close enough to me to adopt Bear? :D I'm his foster mama & he's LOVELY.

I adore rotties & dh is a mastiff fan. If they're true to their breed, their temperaments are 100% SOLID. Some of the biggest smoochies wiggle butts I've met have belonged to these 2 breeds. They will give their life for you if necessary, but they're not going to be charging around attacking things. It's like saying "I won't live with a man because they're aggressive." Well, they can be & some are but you know....not all are. ;)

Bully breeds take a hard beating through no fault of their own. Again bully breeds were bred to be 100% non-aggressive to humans. Some are dodgy with other dogs but excellent with cats. But if your heart is not with them, that's ok :)

What you probably want is a generic lab X shep aka big dorky dog.

German Shepherd Dogs (GSD) are great - I grew up with two (& a lunatic fox terrier). Their temperaments are playful, smart and protective without being nuts.

Given your criteria: I'd steer away from: malinois, ridgebacks, dogo argentino, fila brasileiro etc. Malamutes are sweet - I have malamutexgsd, but like huskies they often have high prey drive. Dobies are probably too much dog for you.

Rescue greyhounds are lovely and many of them are totally fine with cats, while some will need training & some will never grow out of wanting to catch & shake a kitty.

Labs & goldens are generally considered safe but there's been an alarming increase in reported dog bites by these breeds - even when you factor in their popularity. Even purebred ones from breeders have been implicated. There's an interesting theory that the AKC showrings are biased towards a dog who is more "ON" - the laid back, mellow dogs are just standing there all dopey, wagging their tails at the people instead of looking all 'perky'. The ones who win practically 'demand' the ribbon from the judges..... the theory is that this assertive outlook which wins in the rink has been translating into some aggression.

Sporting breeds like setters and pointers also make great pets. I have an english setter :). They do have high exercise needs but they're very sweet and cuddly once they've had their run. Hounds are lovely but inclined to follow their noses & some people really don't like the sounds of their baying bark.

Anyway - I'd always go by temperament and activity level and not worry too much about the breed.

if you're at all worried about your ability to fully temperament test a dog, I strongly suggest taking a good trainer with you to do an assessment. You can find a referral here:

http://www.ipdta.org/

or post on your local craigslist & get some recommendations. The problem is that anyone can call themselves a trainer so you need to really search around to find someone who is good & qualified to do a good assessment - esp in a shelter where dogs present as a bit crazy or shut down.

Best wishes -

When we get another dog, it will be a bigger dog (we have a cocker spaniel right now). We are planning either a Lab or a German Shepherd. We have not ruled out a Weimaraner or an Italian Maremma. :)

I fostered a maremma for 13 months. They're very unique dogs - a very independent breed. Not necessarily inclined to displease you but if you ask them to do something they often seem to say 'hmmm. Well, that's an interesting suggestion. I'll take it into consideration.'

Weims are lovely, esp if you want to take up running :D

Are you close enough to me to adopt Bear? I'm his foster mama & he's LOVELY.

He's awfully cute!!! I think we are too far away though....southern states in US! I appreciate your advice. I think we probably are looking for a big dorky dog :001_smile:. We have a large yard, about 2 acres, but we have had dog incidents in our neighborhood. We have our own cats, but several neighbor cats are also known to roam into our yard. I guess I am just paranoid about getting a dog and having it attack someone or kill a neighbor's pet. We are not the type to get an animal and give it up if it doesn't work out, so I really want to make the right choice. I will look into the idea of getting a trainer to make an assessment when it comes time. I hadn't thought of that.

Our preference is to the larger STRAIGHT-BACK German Shepherds. These dogs do not have the aggression OR the hip/joint problems that the 'slope-back' bred down (size) ones have (police dog type). Straight-backs are also called 'classic'. Most white shepherds are straight-backs because white was not a desirable color (but it is a NATURAL color) when they started the slope-back breeding in the 1970s (and nearly ruined the breed!).

You certainly know your shepherds! I didn't know they could be white. I hoped by getting some kind of mix that some health problems could be avoided. It sounds like a great breed.

We adopted a Border Collie mix last year, and he is amazing!!! He was two years old at the time. I was very nervous about adopting an adult dog, but he has totally converted me! He came already house trained, and he is totally laid back. I just wanted to encourage you to look into adopting an older dog. They can really be a great addition to your life!

Here is my sweet Odie on "guard duty" as we like to call it, but he much prefers to cuddle on the couch!

post-1032-13535083358318_thumb.jpg

post-1032-13535083358318_thumb.jpg

We have a lab/golden mix and he is a SWEETHEART.

I also vote for German Shepherds, Collies.

We love our dog. He loves everyone, and is about 60 pounds. We couldn't of asked for a better breed mix.

I am thinking of getting, or would love to get a purebred Lab. Yellow.

Good luck on your serch for your new family member. !!!!!

I had a Walker Hound several years ago and he was a lovely, lovely dog. Very friendly, very smart, loved kids. Sadly, we had to give him up as he was way too big for our small duplex. We got him from the pound, thinking he was a beagle puppy. Imagine our shock to discover the tiny little pup we thought was a beagle turned out to be Clifford, the big huge hound! LOL

My vote would be for a lab mix. :001_smile: They are awesome dogs. We have a purebred Chocolate lab and a chocolate lab mix, both of which are wonderful with my daughter. They have enough energy to play with her, and are very strong "pack" dogs. They aren't happy unless they are with us. Right now I have one dog under my elbow and one under my feet. :tongue_smilie:

I only say lab mix because mixed breeds are generally speaking healthier than purebred dogs, and also tend to have less incidences of behavior problems.

I can't imagine not having my dogs. We will always have labs.

A lot of the suggestions here seem really good. BUT, I am going to recommend something different. At my vet's office they had a great book detailing the different breeds and all the things to keep in mind about them before getting one, including temperament, exercise and food needs, and common health problems.

The name of the book... I wish I could remember (it's not out at my vet's anymore). But I don't think it was too obscure; I think you could very likely find it at B&N or Amazon if you did a search.

ETA: By the way, I used to work for an insurance company, and they would not issue a homeowner's policy to anyone who owned a pittbull, rottweiler, or chow. Now, I'm not saying this is my opinion, mind you. But they base everything on their actuarial statistics. In fact, from time to time a dog breed would be added to or taken off the list, depending on the stats. Food for thought.

Edited by Jenny Piaaree

We have a Golden Retriever and he is wonderful! I do recommend going through a breeder though, and seeing the parent dogs. I only say this because we had a golden from a shelter earlier in our marriage. He was a different strain (??? more reddish, smaller feet and head) and we ended up having to take him back because of aggression issues. :( So, when we got our next puppy I visited several breeders and saw the parents. I wasn't looking for beauty, just temperment.

We have kids, so I stay away from breeds that have a high guarding instinct. I also stay away from shepherds, even though they can be great dogs, because they can nip in their "herding". (Australian Shepherds can also be a bit high-strung, and the only ones I've known have barked a ton).

Mainly, I like retrievers (labs, goldens) for our lifestyle. My husband wants big, I want laid-back. :) It's not that other dogs aren't fabulous, it's just that these fit our family the best. I'd also consider a Newfoundland. They have wonderful temperments too.

That said, I've rarely met a dog I didn't like.

If you want a big dorky goofball dog I vote for a boxer. Our last dog was a boxer mix and he was a big lovey goofball. I really did adore him. We just had to put him to sleep in September (he was 14 and had a tumor in his lungs) and it was really one of the hardest things I've ever done.

If you want a big dorky goofball dog I vote for a boxer. Our last dog was a boxer mix and he was a big lovey goofball. I really did adore him. We just had to put him to sleep in September (he was 14 and had a tumor in his lungs) and it was really one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Boxers are great! We have a big dumb pound puppy who only wants to be with you. I would really recommend you find a vet you like and telling them more about your family and having them recommend a breeder. Or go to the pound several times and spend some time with the puppies. Watch them and see who is more aggressive, who is the barker, who tears up the toys.

I recommend females or males just because and I would stay away from anything small.

P.S. Don't trust the pound on what they say the breed is. Our puppies was suppose to be a boxer/beagle, he is almost all great dane. He weighs over a 100 lbs! Of course he was only 6 weeks old when we got him so he looked like he could have been a beagle. :lol:

Boxers are great! We have a big dumb pound puppy who only wants to be with you. I would really recommend you find a vet you like and telling them more about your family and having them recommend a breeder. Or go to the pound several times and spend some time with the puppies. Watch them and see who is more aggressive, who is the barker, who tears up the toys.

I went to the SPCA fully intending to get a Lab puppy. I grew up with Labs and love them, but Joe was in the cage with all the lab puppies and it was love at first sight. The other puppies were jumping around being maniacs and he was sitting there in the midst of the chaos with his head tilted to the side looking like "What is all this nonsense!" He was always very calm and sweet - after the first week he NEVER messed in the house. Honestly - never in 14 years did he mess in the house. We set his crate too near the door once and he chewed the doorframe when he was a puppy, but that was the onlly damage he ever did to anything. We haven't even looked at dogs again yet because how can you replace the perfect dog???

We LOVE our hound/beagle mix. She looks just like the dog on Martha Speaks and she's the most loving, sweet dog I've ever known. Great with kids, NEVER aggressive. She is even submissive to our cats, letting them drink out of the water bowl first when I fill it up. She's also energetic and will follow us anywhere happily. Sometimes I wish my own attitude was as great as hers!

I highly recommend giving the adult dogs at a shelter a look. Their personalities are already formed. Many times they are already house trained. We knew our dog was wonderful the day we brought her home!

BTW- Our hound/beagle was turned in to the shelter because she had no drive to bark or chase animals and she was supposed to be a hunting dog. Sometimes the details of why they were turned in are helpful in making your choices.

We adopted a Border Collie mix last year, and he is amazing!!! He was two years old at the time. I was very nervous about adopting an adult dog, but he has totally converted me! He came already house trained, and he is totally laid back. I just wanted to encourage you to look into adopting an older dog. They can really be a great addition to your life!
I agree completely. This was our experience. We went to a very reputable shelter who works with a lot of volunteers to really get to know the dogs so they can help with describing temperment (as opposed to a county shelter that might have only seen the dogs for a day or so). We had a golden that was the love of our life, our first child, and he died at 15yo. So when we went to look for our new dog we wanted a very different breed, different color, everything. We wound up with a border collie mix. She has been AWESOME! She was 2 at the time, a teensy bit aloof at the shelter. I question sometimes how much border collie there really is there because she doesn't "herd" us, doesn't have high exercise needs, not high strung at all. :confused: I attached a pic of her in her normal mode.

We read a great book about adopting from a shelter and what to look for, and also read Cesar Milan's book. We felt very prepared and made a great choice. Of course puppies are great, but if you want to avoid all the work of training and all the damage from chewing, 2 years old or older is so great!

Sometimes the details of why they were turned in are helpful in making your choices.

I agree with this too. Our Penny was surrendered because she didn't like to stay in the backyard by herself all the time. To us this translates into a great inside family dog.

post-8651-13535083358672_thumb.jpg

post-8651-13535083358672_thumb.jpg

YESSSSS!!!

The breed as represented by the AKC is on the verge of being completely ruined ...... those poor slope back dogs are crippled.

Don't get me started on this.

They're not on the VERGE of being ruined, they ARE ruined.

Those poor, schizophrenic, hysterical creatures, walking around on their hocks and afraid of their own shadow-- it's a travesty. And backyard breeders are pumping them out like crazy. I've worked with several who were a menace to their families and really NOT a safe family pet. Not to even mention the thousands of dollars that will be necessary to keep these dogs living past the age of six--- I've seen it so many times and it breaks my heart.

The German Shepherd was bred to be a shepherd's dog and all-around farm dog. A WORKING dog. No dog can WORK with conformation like that. Take a look at German Shepherds from European working lines and you'll find a very different animal: Sane, sturdy, intelligent, mentally stable, hardworking and trustworthy.

Here, for example. I have a good friend who has a dog from this kennel. "Banshee" competes at very high levels of Schutzhund and is also a therapy dog in a local READ program. GREAT dog.

There are LOTS of great GSD's out there. Unfortunately, nowadays, there are more out there who are not so great.

Rant over. Off my soapbox.

astrid

I haven't read all the replies, but I'll add my 2 cents :D:

I share your deep suspicion of certain dog breeds. I believe I have ample reason for these suspicions, as I'm sure you do as well.

So now that you know where I'm coming from, I started doing research about 11 years ago when it was time to get our first family dog. At the time, my kids were just 7 and 4, so having a dog that was good with kids was really important to me.

My husband wanted a medium-large or large dog.

Long story short, we picked a collie. Not a sheltie (which can tend to have serious barking problems - not always, but frequently), but a full size collie.

We had our last collie for 10 years before she died of cancer. She was the absolute BEST dog - very beautiful to look at, but most importantly, an absolutely fantastic temperament. She showed us over and over again her gentle personality and even temperament.

We've just gotten our second collie. He is still young - almost a year - but shows a similarly gentle and sweet temperament.

People get scared off of collies because of their coats. What I did was pay a groomer about $20 to teach me how to properly brush a collie. I then spent maybe 15 minutes every other day brushing our dog, usually when I was watching TV. It is really not that big of a deal to keep up with it. Collies do shed, but not excessively.

I do recommend you go to a good breeder, one who breeds carefully for temperament and health (and does the appropriate genetic testing on the dogs before breeding them). I know there are lots of great, healthy mutts out there. But for us personally, it is worth it to pay a little bit more for a fantastic collie that comes from a top breeder. (Hint - if the breeder interviews you before considering selling you a puppy, there's an excellent chance that you've just found a good breeder. ;))

HTH . . . let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by LynnG in Hawaii

Our past two dogs have been German Shepherds. Legend (below) is our current baby. He's amazing. He's approximately 100 pounds and our daughter Abigail (age 3) can kennel him without any effort at all. He's shockingly smart, fantastic with kids, and very calm... Well, for a 15 month old puppy. He's protective of home and family without being aggressive. We adore him. I wouldn't want a dog that tends towards aggressiveness around my kids. We have too many, their too little, and they have a tendency towards fast movements, accidental trips, etc, kwim? He's perfect. Absolutely perfect for us.

Pic12LegandAbby-1.jpg

We love our black lab even though she is much larger and more hyper than we expected. She is happy, friendly, easy to train, and great with kids... except tiny toddlers that get knocked over (because she's huge and hyper around new people, she doesn't intentionally knock them over) or anyone who doesn't want to be licked. She has no problem with the kids laying all over her.

The only problem is she's so big and active, none of our neighbors are willing to dogsit her! Maybe when she gets older and mellows out... she just turned one.

We have a golden and he is a great dog. He is absolutely amazing with small children. I have had unknown toddlers run up to him and throw their arms around him all the while screeching and giggling and nary a complaint from him. He is also very good with other dogs even if the are aggresive towards him. It took him a little while to acclimate to the cats simply because he wanted to play and love them to death and they were quite so enthusiastic. The only problem we have had is with him chewing on inappropriate things. He is trained and does know better but sometimes he is just ornery when he feels like he isn't getting enough attention or exercise or perhaps not enough things to chew on. Goldens are high energy dogs. They need lots of exercise, training, play and attention. They are also high maintanence as far as grooming but they are wonderful family dogs.

Not sure. My hubby is a lab kind of guy. Actually the last dog my inlaws had was a lab/terrier mix. She was the sweetest, kindest dog there was. Though as a pup she did chew about 6 pairs of his mom's shoes. LOL. Love to roam around and when she was lost they would go around with a piece of cheese hanging out the window saying " Goldie, cheese! " LOL.

I'm a Cocker Spaniel kind of gal. I grew up with a cocker spaniel named Sandy. She was a loving dog. Cockers can be hyper if you do not have them properly trained. Luckily the lady my mom bought her from already had her obedience trained.

Actually the best kind of dog is the one you find at a animal shelter and you can spend a little time with to find out whether they fit your familiy/lifestyle.

From reading about breeding and such they say the best kind of dog is the Mutt.

They are much healthier.