Menu

So what is everyone reading this week?

Oooh! That looks good. I'm adding it to my list. (My very, very long list... which doesn't include the books sitting in my very, very tall piles. :D )

Total Truth is a *great* book! I'd move it up closer to the top of your long, long list :)

Edited by ladydusk

I just started The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet last night. It's had a bit of a slow start, but we'll see if it picks up. It is supposed to be good.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it! It's been on my list for a while but my library doesn't carry it. I'll just have to buy it I guess.

I'm still reading Portrait of an Unknown Woman. Just not enough hours in the day. And I'm also reading Protecting the Gift as mentioned here several times. I also finally got TWTM from the library and am trying to read as I can. Gonna buy that one fur sure!

Just finished Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. Fascinating, convicting, and deeply common-sense. I told dh he is required to read it too. :D

Just before that I really enjoyed My Life in France, by Julia Child. She is delightful! Lovely, light reading about an interesting woman and wonderful French culture. I now have a deep, heartfelt need to try cooking something French. :)

While I did enjoy the movie Julie and Julia, I found the bits of the book that I read to be crass and not nearly as much fun as either the movie or My Life in France.

I loved In Defense of Food. I'm waiting for my mom to finish My Life in France (I bought it for her for Christmas) so I can read it. ;) And, I agree with Julie and Julia, the book. I found sections very funny but I wish her language wasn't so crass.

Right now I'm reading The Source of Miracles, Blink, Our Lady of Kibeho, and The Latin Centered Curriculum. I'm also trying to get into the Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila. I'm finding the introduction dry, so I think I'll skip right to her writings.

Just finished Freakonomics (meh) and Catching Fire (thumbs up). Just started The Help, and after 13 pages can tell this is going to be a great read.

And I get my brand new Kindle tomorrow! Woohoo!

:hurray: Did you get the DX or the the smaller one? Be sure to post your review of it after you've used it for a while. :D

With my son, I am reading "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Much better than Treasure Island, in case you wrote him off because of that one.

Birchbark House, Game of Silence, and Porcupine Year (Erdrich). I love her writing, and I had never heard of these books before planning ds' unit on native american studies.

Um, not remembering the others. They get buried and I stop reading them!

Julie

Loving - Loving Frank!!!

This was a great book.

I loved The Guernsey Literary... Society. I just finished it the other day, and I'm very sad because I adore the characters. I can't believe they are fictional!

Another one I really enjoyed

I ama reading "The Story of Europe: From the Fall of Rome to the Reformation" by HE Marshall. I love her books!

On my nightstand in my to-be-read pile along with The Help!

I loved In Defense of Food.

I have a bookmark in this one. I need to get back to it....

still reading Don Quixote...

Me too. I'm trying to finish it this week. I'm also reading the 2nd book in Robin Hobb's Assassin series called Royal Assassin. I didn't realize it was 2222 pages long when I downloaded it to my Nook. Between that and Don Quixote I'm going to have to spend a lot of time reading.

Sweet Land of Liberty, Charles Coffin

One of the best history series I have ever read.

Medusa, Clive Cussler

An old favorite author, though not a huge fan of the ones without Dirk Pitt.

Sister Wendy's Story of Painting

Vintage Sister Wendy and a prelude to Dk's A History of Art

1st Samuel

Me too. I'm trying to finish it this week. I'm also reading the 2nd book in Robin Hobb's Assassin series called Royal Assassin. I didn't realize it was 2222 pages long when I downloaded it to my Nook. Between that and Don Quixote I'm going to have to spend a lot of time reading.

Wow. Pagination must be very different on the Kindle. My paperback copy of Royal Assassin that I received for Christmas only has 675 pages.

I'm reading Three Men in a Boat - love that British humor.:D Also reading Five Children and It to dd. It's very funny, too; and it's sweet to see the children, while not always getting along and sometimes acting cross and selfish, still looking out for each other, especially the little guy :) (although you kind of wonder about their nurse letting them traipse around the country like that, even if it was a hundred years ago!).

Well, as a group (the boys and I) we just started *listening* to Beowulf last night. Imagine everyone flopped on the bed (king sized of necessity), the ice and sleet tinkling against the window, the lights out (thankfully by choice not by loss of electricity....yet) and a candle providing an eerie glow - and Beowulf being read aloud. It was fantastic.

I'm reading Man Alive by G. K. Chesterton. He's a favorite author of mine, but I have determined he needs to be read quickly. I have a difficult time going back to his books that have sat for a few days. Anyways, this is a fun read and it's short. After this (but I've already started and made myself leave it to finish Chesterton) I'm reading The Gambler by Dostoyevsky. I feel guilty that I never could finish The Brothers Karamazov and had to eventually watch the movie. So I'm trying something considerably shorter this time. Those Russians can be quite verbose!

I finished The Help and I am the Messanger last week. Both were very good.

I gave up trying to read The Historian. I'd heard good reviews, but I just couldn't get into it.

I'm now reading The Once and Future King. With the kids, we're reading the Percy Jackson series (we're on book 4).

I feel guilty that I never could finish The Brothers Karamazov and had to eventually watch the movie. So I'm trying something considerably shorter this time. Those Russians can be quite verbose!

You know, The Brothers Karamazov is the one book I was assigned in school that I never finished. We were supposed to read it over Christmas break during my freshman year of college . . . and I just didn't. I don't even remember how much I read, but I know I didn't finish it. I was thinking the other night that I should read the book already so I can stop feeling guilty.:lol:

I was thinking the other night that I should read the book already so I can stop feeling guilty

Watching the movie comes pretty close to absolving one of the guilt :Angel_anim:

I did pick it up the other day and read the section where I had placed the bookmark (obviously the last page I had read) and was totally enthralled in Ivan's explanation to Alyosha of the meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thyself". I wanted to take it to my WorldViews class and read it to the kids - except we were reading Dante's Inferno and I didn't want to confuse them :D

I just finished reading the entire series of The Sharing Knife by Lois McMaster Bujold. I read the 1st book about one year ago. I have no idea why I didn't immediately pick up and read the rest of the series then. I happened across the 1st two books at the library last week and brought them home. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. Five minutes after I finished the 2nd book, I went to the library for the 3rd and 4th books. I read all four in four days. I highly recommend the series to anybody who is into sci-fi.

Right now I'm reading Betrayed (2nd book in House of Night series, recommended by librarian who has same taste in books that I do), Fade (dh recommended it), A Separate Peace (to figure out whether or not to assign it for lit next year), and Lucifer's Hammer (re-reading while on the treadmill).

Last week I finished Jane Eyre (boring), Marked (1st book in House of Night series), and Footfall (re-reading while on treadmill).

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I just finished The Help. It's as amazing as everyone is saying. Worth buying it!

I am half way through The Friday Night Knitting Club. It's OK but I don't care for some of the language. Why do authors do that? No one I know talks like that. It's frustrating. I think the story is OK though and it makes me want to go hang out in NYC.

I am a random reader so I am also starting Eats, Shoots and Leaves since I've never read it.

Also have the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency thing started, because I thought I'd heard of it here. Boy does that thing start slow. (I'm only on p2, lol.)

Haven't read all the posts yet so someone may already have mentioned this, but the first book is the slowest. The tone is a little heavier, I think, as all the characters are being introduced so you know their histories. The rest of the books have a nice rhythm and are a bit lighter in tone. Honestly, I think if I had been *reading* this book I would have put it down. But I listened to it on audiobook and that made it a lot easier to get through. And the narrator is wonderful!

Cinder

with my DD, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (third time) for literature,

and, for myself, Joan of Arc by Regine Pernoud (first time). I would never have picked this up if it weren't for PBS. I wanted to read something that I normally would not read, so I looked for the most requested books in the Christian book section. I've been reading it late at night just before falling asleep. So far, it's been very interesting.

Claire in NM