Menu

"Where do you find the time to read?"

This is sort of a rant and sort of an observation. I've been asked on several occasions where I manage to find the time to read so much, and I just noticed today that one of my fellow bibliophiles was asked the same question on a Facebook post she made. I rarely if ever hear anyone ask people where they find the time to watch TV, go to movies, play Wii, surf the Web, go out to dinner, attend sporting events, or participate in any number of other hobbies and non-work activities.

It probably shouldn't, but for some reason it really irritates me to be asked how I find the time to read regularly. It implies that if I can read X number of books a week or in a year, it must mean I'm shirking my responsibilities in some way. (In reality, I spend 20-30 minutes a day reading on average, which is less than many readers I know, but I do so consistently and am a fast reader. On weekends I usually read more than that.) I think that like many things, it's a matter of priorities. If reading is important and enjoyable to you, you'll make time for it, and the same is true for any other pursuit. I guess I just don't understand why reading in particular seems to be considered a luxury of time that most people can't afford. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Edited by WordGirl

I understand the question, at least from one point of view. I love to read but I am a really slow reader...even my kids read faster than I do. I'm one of those people who has to read each and every word in order to comprehend what I've read. If I read at a faster pace, I don't comprehend what I've read and can't remember what happened a paragraph ago. I end up having to reread over and over again. In addition to being slow, I often get caught up in the book and have a really hard time putting it down. Finally, if I don't finish a book in a short enough time period, I lose interest...so I can't just read a couple pages a day. So, I find I need to devote a lot of time daily to reading if I want to finish a book, especially a longer one.

So, with that in mind, it is really hard for me to find time to read. I've been participating in one of the reading challenges, and am finding that the rest of my responsibilities are suffering for it.

Along these lines, I was just with a couple who we are friendly with. We were discussing the LOTR movies. I said I just watched them back to back after rereading the Hobbit and the Trilogy. The wife said that she had never read the trilogy. The husband answered:

"Hardly anyone gets through the trilogy. It's like A Tale of Two Cities. No one actually ever reads that."

"Um," I replied, "I actually just finished reading that this month too."

They were both dumbfounded that I had read FOUR books this month! :001_huh:

Every time I think of it I have a little laugh. :lol:

Well, I really prefer/need good chunks of quiet, undisturbed time to really enjoy a book. I get easily distracted by other people when I'm reading. So I often wonder how people who are around multiple kids all day find time to read. I don't watch much tv either. :001_smile:

Perhaps a proper response to that question would be....well, I make the time because I love to read, just like you make time for ______. Said sweetly and with a hint of surprise and the point gets across without sounding snarky, especially if it's "just like you make time for TV or sports" which people tend to get defensive about.

I wish I could find more time in my day to read.....before bed is my biggest chunk of reading time....but let's not forget the minutes in the bathroom, lol. THey do add up.

DH can pick up a book anywhere, any time and get lost in reading. While I can do this with nonfiction, I prefer to savour fiction, something made difficult by interruptions. So it's probably not surprising that almost all my fiction reading is done at night after the kids are asleep. I also manage to "steal" four hours a week while the kids are in classes. I don't begrudge DH his "extra time," but it's not like I can change the way I read and find more time myself.

As for people who really don't read, I the idea of "finding" time is along the lines of wishful thinking, as in "I'm *not* a non-reader; I just can't fit it in." It's a rationalization so *they* don't have to feel bad about not reading.

It implies that if I can read X number of books a week or in a year, it must mean I'm shirking my responsibilities in some way.

Why do you assume it means this to those that ask? I read a lot at times and have been asked that question, but it never had malice or judgment behind it. They are usually asking out of genuine curiosity as their lives are full and it isn't full with the kinds of things you mentioned. Sometimes it is said out of admiration because while they would like to read more, they just can't do it.

I rarely if ever hear anyone ask people where they find the time to watch TV...

I have no idea where people find time to watch TV. I am constantly astonished at this: How people know what's going on in several different dramas, how people even know what the popular shows are, how people know Oprah's opinions on everything, how people keep track of which stars are engaged or pregnant or splitting up or eating disordered. Seriously, it's a mystery to me. And nevermind keeping up with sports teams too!

The idea of actually "following" a show or a star just exhausts me. Sometimes my husband will have House on, and I'll walk out of the room because I know how addictive it is, and I don't even want to get sucked in.

I know what shows were on when I was a kid, but I haven't had much time for TV since then.

Edited by Cindyg

I'm one of those readers who gets lost in a book and forgets to feed my family.:D It's possible you are reading too much into it. If I were disciplined and could limit my reading to 30 min. at a stretch, I would be able to accomplish my other duties with no problem. I think I may have ADD, which means that when I get caught up in a project I love (reading a great book, for example) I lose perspective and forget the world is going on without me. Maybe the folks that ask you this question are like I am, so they can't imagine reading a lot and still managing to get their responsibilities attended to. If you explained matter-of-factly that you read a little each day and that you are fast reader I think that would satisfy their curiosity. Honestly, I find that very difficult to do once a book has captured my imagination so it may be a surprise to these folks that some people can read that way.

TI rarely if ever hear anyone ask people where they find the time to watch TV, go to movies, play Wii, surf the Web, go out to dinner, attend sporting events, or participate in any number of other hobbies and non-work activities.

It probably shouldn't, but for some reason it really irritates me to be asked how I find the time to read regularly. It implies that if I can read X number of books a week or in a year, it must mean I'm shirking my responsibilities in some way.

People don't say, "Where do you find the time to watch tv" because they know that tv is sort of a time waster and that asking that really does imply that they are wasting time that could be used otherwise. Or at least, that's how I would see it. I do watch tv sometimes, and I am not saying that everyone isn't entitled to waste some time, but I would never ask someone where they find the time to do something like watch tv or play video games because I do think they would receive that as a criticism, and it probably would actually contain some criticism in my own mind.

But exercising, reading books, or keeping the house really nice are all "good" things in my mind. If I ask someone, "How do you find the time to take yoga classes," I'm actually thinking that yoga is a good thing. It is not my priority, which is why I do have time to read and perceive myself as not having time for yoga. I think most of us have time for our top priorities, but everything else gets pushed aside. I bet some people who ask you that question actually admire that you find time to read - they just haven't made it their priority.

Why do you assume it means this to those that ask? I read a lot at times and have been asked that question, but it never had malice or judgment behind it. They are usually asking out of genuine curiosity as their lives are full and it isn't full with the kinds of things you mentioned. Sometimes it is said out of admiration because while they would like to read more, they just can't do it.

It's a fair point that I shouldn't generalize and assume that everyone who asks the question is being judgmental just because some people have asked the question in a judgmental way. I have come across some women who seem to believe that any activity that involves spending time on herself is selfish and that any free time would be better spent tending to her family in some way.

Edited by WordGirl

People just don't think (or sometimes they just don't care) about what they are saying actually implies.

"I could never homeschool, I don't know how you do it"

"Where do you find time to bake bread and cook meals from scratch?"

"I never have time to scrapbook"

"Why do you buy so many books"

"Where do you find time to read"

I've heard all these in the last few weeks... people are different, they have different priorities. I spend my time doing things that are enjoyable and/or important to me and to my family. If other people don't enjoy them or don't consider them important, it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't send my kids to school, read magazines, get expensive haircuts, shop for pleasure, watch TV or sleep all that much, but I have friends that do whom I love very much and I don't think less of them. We all have the same amount of time in a day, and I am too busy to judge others for what they do with theirs!

I'm one of those readers who gets lost in a book and forgets to feed my family.:D It's possible you are reading too much into it. If I were disciplined and could limit my reading to 30 min. at a stretch, I would be able to accomplish my other duties with no problem. I think I may have ADD, which means that when I get caught up in a project I love (reading a great book, for example) I lose perspective and forget the world is going on without me. Maybe the folks that ask you this question are like I am, so they can't imagine reading a lot and still managing to get their responsibilities attended to. If you explained matter-of-factly that you read a little each day and that you are fast reader I think that would satisfy their curiosity. Honestly, I find that very difficult to do once a book has captured my imagination so it may be a surprise to these folks that some people can read that way.

:iagree:

I'm the same way. I've been known to start reading the moment I sit down on the couch after waking up to the moment I pass out from exhaustion late at night. I tend to get cranky when I have to put the book down to feed starving children. I'm trying to limit my reading to only at night but that's not working so great either because I can't put the stupid book down to sleep at a decent hour. Then I wake up late and am tired all day.

I'm the same way. I've been known to start reading the moment I sit down on the couch after waking up to the moment I pass out from exhaustion late at night. I tend to get cranky when I have to put the book down to feed starving children. I'm trying to limit my reading to only at night but that's not working so great either because I can't put the stupid book down to sleep at a decent hour. Then I wake up late and am tired all day.

I am okay with reading certain books throughout a week or so but give me a james Patterson or Evonavich(sp?) and I'm the same way.

People just don't think (or sometimes they just don't care) about what they are saying actually implies.

"I could never homeschool, I don't know how you do it"

"Where do you find time to bake bread and cook meals from scratch?"

"I never have time to scrapbook"

"Why do you buy so many books"

"Where do you find time to read"

I've heard all these in the last few weeks... people are different, they have different priorities. I spend my time doing things that are enjoyable and/or important to me and to my family. If other people don't enjoy them or don't consider them important, it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't send my kids to school, read magazines, get expensive haircuts, shop for pleasure, watch TV or sleep all that much, but I have friends that do whom I love very much and I don't think less of them. We all have the same amount of time in a day, and I am too busy to judge others for what they do with theirs!

I don't really watch TV. I like Gray's Anatomy and The Tudors. Sometimes I watch Gray's Anatomy online after my kids have gone to bed. I wait for the Tudors to be available on DVD because I have to watch them back to back. :D

I like to go to the movies, so I sometimes will do that on a weekend afternoon. Usually, if I'm going to read, catch up on Gray's Anatomy, or watch a DVD, I'm giving up some of my sleep to do so. I can't find the time to do these things during my day. It's dangerous for me to pick up a book during the day because I might get sucked into it and lose the ability to function until I finish it. :D

I have an absolute awful habit of staying up until nearly 3am some nights. I do tend to sleep to 9, however. My hsers are old enough that they get started on their things before I am fully operational. ;) I take care of my 4 yr old nephew, but he will often come into my bed in the morning for a bit. he;s also really good at playing near the girls while they work. I also read when I am waiting for ballet lessons to be over, & while waiting for kids at various activities.

When they were small, I read a ton when they were nursing. I nursed a good many years. lol I read at night, too, after dinner. I read in the day when my children are reading. I am a fast reader, so that does help.

I have always read several books a month, as soon as I could read, I would have a stack of rotating books on my bed stand. It totally interfered with school. ;)

If it is a good book I don't want to put it down so yes my kids get ignored, so I have to be careful. However, I still find time to read. It helps I am a fast reader. An average size book I can read in the amount of time a normal person watches TV every night. I also get asked all the time how I get so much knitting done. It is frustrating b/c it is like they imply that I don't take care of my kids, when I do. Knitting/books are portable. If DH is driving I can do either of them. I can put a book mark/ put down my knitting and take care of my kids if something happens just the same as someone that is watching TV. We also have a huge garden and can a lot, people ask about it, but it is something that the kids help with and love. I guess it is all where your priorities lay and making time for those things you enjoy. I would rather enjoy these things than other things that can take away time :)

Many of my "friends" have asked where I find the time to read. I read daily. Or even where I find the time to be on the internet. They do it with that wrinkled nose, judging me sort of look.

Well honestly, I don't watch tv. At all. I don't even get a tv signal. On the weekends my husband and I might watch a video, but that's about it.

I sometimes want to ask them where they find the time to watch their 20 different shows, and wrinkle MY nose. They all seem to watch at least 2 1 hour shows per evening, so in fairness, doesn't that leave me with at least 2 hours of reading per night?

I hop on the internet throughout the day, usually when the kids are doing some independent work or off playing, usually between chores as I take a "break". The same thing in the evening after all the dishes have been washed and everything other than the bedtime routine has been done. Then instead of settling down in front of the tv to watch CSI Miami or The Biggest Loser, I sit down with my book.

I find it odd that I get judged for finding time to read by people who spend their lives sitting in front of the tv. I don't know. Maybe they assume I am also sitting in front of the tv and reading at other times?

My former best friend/co worker from my pre-married life's Facebook favorite book list says: Who has time to read?

My favorite tv show list says: Who has time for tv when there are so many good books to read?

This is sort of a rant and sort of an observation. I've been asked on several occasions where I manage to find the time to read so much, and I just noticed today that one of my fellow bibliophiles was asked the same question on a Facebook post she made. I rarely if ever hear anyone ask people where they find the time to watch TV, go to movies, play Wii, surf the Web, go out to dinner, attend sporting events, or participate in any number of other hobbies and non-work activities.

Honestly, this bugs me, and other versions of it, too. I have been working on a beautiful little cross-stitch, mostly when I'm out somewhere, such as co-op. Another mom said that, "When do you have time to work on that?!" I was a little like, :confused:. I think I said, "Well - mostly here! (At co-op) And some evenings, I'll just work on it for a few hours before I go to bed."

And with reading, I have thought that, too. I have been tempted to say, "I guess I manage it while everyone else is following American Idol, 24, Grey's Anatomy and any of those other shows I'm totally out of the loop on." And you are right - I have never quizzed someone on how they carve out time to stay on top of those shows every week or watch every new movie that comes out.

Haven't read the other replies yet ....

Reminds me of when I was in college sitting in my dorm room cross-stitching at about 9:00.

A girl from down the hall came in my room to ask my roommate a question about an assignment. The girl looked at me and said, "Wow, I wish I had time to sit around and cross-stitch!"

That really ticked me off.

Another time, before I had kids, I had a story published in a magazine. When I told my co-workers about it at lunch, one of them said, "Boy, I wish I had time to sit around and write stories all day!"

That one was even worse, because it dismisses the hard work and persistence involved in getting something published.

So I think I know what you mean.

However ...

I have said to people, "When do you have time to read[or something else]?" and I usually say it to mean:

1) It's a compliment -- I'm impressed that the person has time to read despite raising six kids and working FT (or whatever)

2) I truly am frustrated that I can't seem to find the time to read, am voicing my frustration, and hoping they can give me some insight.

That seems a rather combative and dramatic attitude.

My whole life people have asked how I am able to read so many books. I never thought of it as an insult or thought to assume they are Borgs who only watch American Idol. I've read up to 200 books in a year (probably one a day before I had kids) , and I watch American Idol at times. I also knit, keep a decent home, cook, raise chickens, read to my children, homeschool, play board games, and have sex with my husband. I am also completely caught up with The Office, thanks to ILL and Hulu. I am now trying to get caught up on Hoarders. ;) Not that I am proud or nuthin'. lol

And! Last, but not least, certainly not, I have 3,299 posts here. :)

Honestly, this bugs me, and other versions of it, too. I have been working on a beautiful little cross-stitch, mostly when I'm out somewhere, such as co-op. Another mom said that, "When do you have time to work on that?!" I was a little like, :confused:. I think I said, "Well - mostly here! (At co-op) And some evenings, I'll just work on it for a few hours before I go to bed."

And with reading, I have thought that, too. I have been tempted to say, "I guess I manage it while everyone else is following American Idol, 24, Grey's Anatomy and any of those other shows I'm totally out of the loop on." And you are right - I have never quizzed someone on how they carve out time to stay on top of those shows every week or watch every new movie that comes out.

Edited by LibraryLover

DH can pick up a book anywhere, any time and get lost in reading. While I can do this with nonfiction, I prefer to savour fiction, something made difficult by interruptions. So it's probably not surprising that almost all my fiction reading is done at night after the kids are asleep.

I could have written this! I read mostly nonfiction because it's something I can easily put down and pick back up as I deal with the kids, the house, and the phone. I have to carve out time to read fiction because I tend not to finish novels if I have to deal with a lot of interruptions. That said, I read a ton of nonfiction books and articles, but it's nothing compared to the quantity I used to read before I had kids. I wish I had the sort of brain that would allow me to read more while mine are still young, but I know I'll have more time once my kids are older and more independent. I wouldn't take it as a judgement that you are skimping on other things when people comment on how much you read -- I'm sure most of them just wish they could find more time for reading themselves.

That seems a rather combative and dramatic attitude.

My whole life people have asked how I am able to read so many books. I never thought of it as an insult or thought to assume they are Borgs who only watch American Idol. I've read up to 200 books in a year (probably one a day before I had kids) , and I watch American Idol at times.

You mistake me. I'm not saying a person can either watch TV or read a lot of books. It's just that most of the times when I've gotten that question, it is from people who are continuously up-to-the-minute on all sorts of series shows. They ask as if they are astonished I can make time to read, but they would have the same amount of time if they weren't committed to their favorite shows. Obviously, they have not chosen to spend their time on books.

I understand, but I think the thought is needlessly combative. :shrug:. You are absolutely entitled to your thoughts, of course. :) Don't mind me.

You mistake me. I'm not saying a person can either watch TV or read a lot of books. It's just that most of the times when I've gotten that question, it is from people who are continuously up-to-the-minute on all sorts of series shows. They ask as if they are astonished I can make time to read, but they would have the same amount of time if they weren't committed to their favorite shows. Obviously, they have not chosen to spend their time on books.

I understand, but I think the thought is needlessly combative. :shrug:. You are absolutely entitled to your thoughts, of course. :) Don't mind me.

Oh. Okay. I don't see it as such. I agree with the OP. I tend to wonder why people ask this. We all make time for whatever is important to us.

Agreed. Everyone has their particular interests. I think some comments are simply conversational and no more needs to be read into them.

If people don't have 'time to do' something, they most likely don't enjoy it quite as much as we enjoy something. It's more about their thoughts than about our interests.

When people have asked me 'How can you stand to spend so much time in the kitchen?! " I tell them that I enjoy the process. I don't think they are telling me what I am doing is wrong and their quicker meals are right. At least I don't think so. lol

Maybe that's a bad analogy. :tongue_smilie: But I do have a lovely chicken (which I raised) broth on it's 5th hour of simmering. Of course, I haven't been standing in the kitchen for 5 hours; I'm here, doing nothing. lol

Oh. Okay. I don't see it as such. I agree with the OP. I tend to wonder why people ask this. We all make time for whatever is important to us.
Edited by LibraryLover

I do get this question a lot, also from my friends who love to read. But I notice that the difference between them and me is that I read really fast, and I do it while I'm doing other stuff. So just because I can read while I cook, brush my teeth, exercise on an elliptical machine, and so on, I get through a lot more than most people manage to do. Also, most of my friends have more kids than I do...

I do get this question a lot, also from my friends who love to read. But I notice that the difference between them and me is that I read really fast, and I do it while I'm doing other stuff. So just because I can read while I cook, brush my teeth, exercise on an elliptical machine, and so on, I get through a lot more than most people manage to do. Also, most of my friends have more kids than I do...

It's hard to read a ton with lots of very litte kids running around. I encouraged very long nursing sessions. ;)

Speaking of reading fast. When my youngest started listening to books on tape, she complained that it took much longer to listen to a story that way than when I read to her. She said "They read so slowly!".

But they really don't. lol

When people have asked me 'How can you stand to spend so much time in the kitchen?! " I tell them that I enjoy the process. I don't think they are not telling me what I am doing is wrong and their quicker meals are right. At least I don't think so. lol

Maybe that's a bad analogy. :tongue_smilie: But I do have a lovely chicken (which I raised) broth on it's 5th hour of simmering. Of course, I haven't been standing in the kitchen for 5 hours; I'm here, doing nothing. lol

See, now that is very interesting. Because I most probably would not (inwardly) respond well to that question. (How can you stand to spend so much time in the kitchen?!) I have a SIL who brings this up often. She is a "open-and-pour" sort of cook. I do think she is implying/feeling, "The way you cook is such a waste of time."

Quite possibly, you are just a far more lovely person than I. You think people mean well, perhaps better than they actually do. That's a good trait.

Or I might just be a little more thick-headed. :tongue_smilie:

See, now that is very interesting. Because I most probably would not (inwardly) respond well to that question. (How can you stand to spend so much time in the kitchen?!) I have a SIL who brings this up often. She is a "open-and-pour" sort of cook. I do think she is implying/feeling, "The way you cook is such a waste of time."

Quite possibly, you are just a far more lovely person than I. You think people mean well, perhaps better than they actually do. That's a good trait.

I agree, and I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word rather than read more into what they actually say or assume a negative intent. But when someone sighs and says, "I wish I had more time to read, but I'm too busy taking care of my family/house/daily chores to spend time on myself," I'm not reading something negative into her words to see it as a judgment on how I spend my time--I'm taking her message as she intended it to be taken. Sometimes it's not just the words that are said but the tone.

I agree, and I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word rather than read more into what they actually say or assume a negative intent. But when someone sighs and says, "I wish I had more time to read, but I'm too busy taking care of my family/house/daily chores to spend time on myself," I'm not reading something negative into her words to see it as a judgment on how I spend my time--I'm taking her message as she intended it to be taken.

Wordgirl, do we know each other? Did your dds wear homemade WordGirl costumes last Halloween?

Agreed. Everyone has their particular interests. I think some comments are simply conversational and no more needs to be read into them.

That's a great way to look at it.

I've been learning, the hard way, that my judgments were out of line, and I'm trying to make less of them. I'm learning that not all solutions work for all people. Things I used to think were cut and dry, just aren't sometimes.

It probably shouldn't, but for some reason it really irritates me to be asked how I find the time to read regularly. It implies that if I can read X number of books a week or in a year, it must mean I'm shirking my responsibilities in some way. (In reality, I spend 20-30 minutes a day reading on average, which is less than many readers I know, but I do so consistently and am a fast reader. On weekends I usually read more than that.) I think that like many things, it's a matter of priorities. If reading is important and enjoyable to you, you'll make time for it, and the same is true for any other pursuit. I guess I just don't understand why reading in particular seems to be considered a luxury of time that most people can't afford. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

I doubt people who ask how you find the time to read think you're shirking your responsibilities--on the contrary, the fact that you do all that you do & find time to read, too, probably makes them feel insignificant.

I have 4 dc, homeschool, etc. And I write, sew, etc. People ask me all the time how I find the time to do the things I do. I take it as a compliment, although I do sometimes shirk one thing to make time for another. Like laundry. But everybody shirks that. (Right?) :D

Chances are they mean well. Or they read very. slowly. :lol:

A good friend of mine just had the "how do you find time to read" conversation the other day after I told her about the 20/20/20 reading challenge on here. She was flabbergasted that I was going to attempt 60 books in a year, and she openly asked me how I found the time. I was surprised by the question since she also likes to read. I kind of ran down my day, and we found areas where I have time and she doesn't. She spends hours helping her son with his homework at night. Those are hours I get to myself. Her children are also up later than mine, so again, she loses that evening time.

This question has offended me before too, depending upon who is posing it and their tone. Others ask truly because they are amazed; others because they see reading as a waste of time. I think it's all about prioritizing. I often marvel at women who exercise all the time. I know I could too, but it would probably mean giving up some of my precious reading time. It's all about choices.

This is a timely discussion for me right now. My brother gave me the first 7 Sookie Stackhouse books for Christmas. I love them! So, in my usual style, I read all 7 in about a week. That's typical when I have the time and we weren't schooling.

I mentioned to my brother on New Year's Day that I really enjoyed the books and thank you so much for them. Ugh. He was so angry! I was really taken aback. I had borrowed a few movies from him a few days before Christmas and hadn't gotten around to watching them. Duh! I had books to read! LOL I returned the movies the same day without watching them because he was so upset.

He thinks it's a waste of time to read but will sit and watch an entire 2 days of sports non-stop. I don't get that, but I don't ridicule him for enjoying it.

I've always loved reading and now that my kids are a bit older I have time to read. It's a great escape for me. I often read while my dh watches tv in the evenings. We're in the same room and we stop and chat about things. It's relaxing. It's a plus that I'm a fast reader.

I have books all over the house. No matter where I may be in the house, or the car, I have a book nearby to pick up and read. I do read every day. Some days more than others. I can finish a 300-400 page book in one night--if it's interesting to me. Other times it will take me a month to finish a book--but I'm also reading other books and magazines as well.

And yes, people do read things like A Tale of Two Cities! I've read almost all of Dickens' books! The longest was Bleak House! But for English geeks like me who major in literature, it's my love, my passion, my schooling, and my career!

As far as making time...I don't watch much TV, and I spend quiet moments catching up on a few pages of a book--even if it's only 5 or 10 minutes!

I've recently (since giving birth to our newest family member on Christmas Day) found time to read again... while breastfeeding!!! :001_smile:

Most of my reading is while breastfeeding, too, but I have to wait until she is nearly asleep at the breast first. Otherwise, she stops nursing and puts all of her effort into trying to grab my book. I have to hold it over my head to read. :glare:

Or I might just be a little more thick-headed.

:lol: That made me LOL. In this case, it could be good to be thick-headed. Think of all the offenses that never make it to your database! :D

Not to get political, but I always thought that about George W. It seemed no criticism bothered him. I would think, "Boy, I wish I would be more like that." (Maybe thick-headedness had a role there, too...)