Menu

What is the best CARD or DICE game (no "board") you/your family got for Christmas?

During Christmas dinner at my MILs, a few of us parenting contemporaries were discussing the absolute downside of Monopoly-- it takes forever. lol I am going to mention this game at our New Years dinner. Maybe I will buy it and bring it!

We really have enjoyed playing the new Monopoly card game here. We have played six or seven games since yesterday afternoon. Ages 10 and up have enjoyed it immensely. It moves much, much faster than Monopoly. We have loved it.

We are really enjoying Scrabble Slam (which is a fast moving card game -no board or tiles involved).

We also recently picked up Set from a thrift store. It's a card game where you lay out cards and then try to find sets of cards that are alike/unlike in 4 categories. Very tricky, but fun once you get into it. Even my almost 6 year old can pick out a set every now and then.

We are really enjoying Scrabble Slam (which is a fast moving card game -no board or tiles involved).

We also recently picked up Set from a thrift store. It's a card game where you lay out cards and then try to find sets of cards that are alike/unlike in 4 categories. Very tricky, but fun once you get into it. Even my almost 6 year old can pick out a set every now and then.

...want Triology, which is like Set but with a board -- as best I can tell from what I've seen online.

My MIL brought over Left Center Right and it is alot of fun. It is such a simple game. It has 3 dice and some chips(we use dimes though). Each person gets 3 chips(dimes). You roll the 3 dice. If it has a star you put a dime in the center, left means give it to the person on the left and right to the right. If you get a dot it means keep it. Each person rolls the dice and passing their dimes around. The last person with any money wins the pot. It is hysterical to see how poorly we all remember our left and right. I went shopping with my MIL this morning. I told her I was scared of her driving since she didn't know her left from right:D

Blink is a fav here. You have up to 3 cards in your hand, two other cards flipped up, and you try to get rid of the 3 cards plus a pile beside you by matching by attribute--either shape, color, or number. It's a go-as-fast-as-you-can game, no turn taking. Takes about a minute to play, and it's fun to have tournaments!

Bananagrams is a good one, too. You can just use Scrabble tiles from the board game.

I hadn't thought of that! We have Scrabble and also Scrabble Up (no one really liked that one though), so I guess I just need to get the rules for Bananagrams and see how that works! Great idea there. Thanks!

My kids are very young, only 5 and 2, but we just love Zingo. It says for ages 4 and up but my two year old can play it and loves it. We all sat around and played it this afternoon.

We gave my parents Imaginiff, Farkle, and LCR for Christmas, so I cant wait to try those out with them. Probably on New Years Eve.

I hadn't thought of that! We have Scrabble and also Scrabble Up (no one really liked that one though), so I guess I just need to get the rules for Bananagrams and see how that works! Great idea there. Thanks!

We gave Bananagrams to dd for Christmas and haven't played it yet, but here is some info:

In Bananagrams everyone gets a pile of tiles and all at the same time everyone makes words that connect like on the scrabble board but in Bananagrams there is no board and you have the freedom to redo words to try to use up all your tiles. I like it because it freed me from being confined to the board and also you can be creative on how you put your words together and even change your mind and reconfigure words to make everything fit. All this happens at the same time, so you are tring to made words faster than the other players. I hope that makes sense. We really enjoyed this game.

--

Right, and each player is using his letters independently. There is no playing off of the other players' letters.

--

It's actually a kid-oriented, revamping of speed Scrabble. We've played speed Scrabble for a few years now and really enjoy it.

--

Wikipedia has everything. Here are the letters in the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananagrams

--

Dd9 got Farkle (dice game) at the gift exchange at co-op. It's been fun. Something she can play with her 15yo sister.

DH and I played this last night and it was fun. I imagine it will be a game he and I play regularly.