Menu

What are your favorite mystery series? (looking for gift ideas for a mystery buff)

I am *loving* the Maisie Dobbs series by Jaqueline Winspear. It takes place in London and the surrounding countryside between the World Wars. Very little to no gore, terrific plots with lots of atmosphere, lots of great period detail, no foul language or s*x scenes, good vocabulary (I have had to look up a few words!) and smart writing... a great series all in all.

ETA: The first in the series is my least favorite, but still pretty good.

Edited by happygrrl

I like the same mysteries as the OP said. I also like the MArsh books. However, I recommend the M.C. Beaton series- there are two Hamish MacBeth a Scottish constable in the Highlands, and Agatha Raisin, a middle aged woman in the Cotswolds. Both give a very good picture of life there and that seems to be the kind of mysteries the first person liked.

I second Ellis Peters and Laurie King.

King writes two series (one whose main character is the young American wife of Sherlock Holmes and one whose main character is a lesbian police detective in San Francisco). She also writes one-off mysteries. The Sherlock Holmes series and the one-off books tend to explore religious issues, which is one of the things I love about her books. Her books are *very* light on gore and sex.

I liked the Cat Who series (Braun) and the Rabbi Small series (Kemelman). Both of them really need to be read in order. There are over 20 books in the Cat Who series, but the Rabbi Small series only has 11.

Oh, I forgot about Rabbi Small! Our library had all of those so none ended up on our shelves to remind me!

Thanks so much, everyone! Ds looked over the suggestions and he knew of some that dh already had, but even so, we bought 5 books, each from a different author/series that we don't think dh has read. I think that will be really fun for him to have so many to try out. I appreciate everyone's help!

Try Elizabeth Peters or Laurie King. Some Laurie King's I don't like (and find offensive) but I really like her series with Sherlock Holmes.

I like Peters and would add Anne Perry. Her novels take place in Victorian London and she has two separate series going. The "Thomas Pitt" and the "William Monk" series. Both are equally good IMHO.

Ones that he has liked:

Tony Hillerman

#1 Ladies Detective Agency (though I'm not sure that I'd call these mysteries)

Agatha Christie

Dorothy Sayers

Upfield

One I can't remember with a lord who is a detective, Lady Grey lives next door...

He doesn't like them really gory

Sherlock Holmes...

I really like The Mysterious Benedict Society...even though it is a YA series.

How about GK Chestertons Father Brown series and I think there is also a Father Cafaeldo series that is Catholic.

HTH

Faithe

For someone who likes historical mysteries, check out the recent Charles Lennox Mysteries by Charles Finch. They're set in England in the 1860s, and Publishers Weekly said (about the first book) "Finch laces his writing with some Wodehousian touches and devises a solution intricate enough to fool most readers. Lovers of quality historical whodunits will hope this is the first in a series."

The books published so far are: (1) A Beautiful Blue Death, (2) The September Society, (3) The Fleet Street Murders

Jackie

I am *loving* the Maisie Dobbs series by Jaqueline Winspear. It takes place in London and the surrounding countryside between the World Wars. Very little to no gore, terrific plots with lots of atmosphere, lots of great period detail, no foul language or s*x scenes, good vocabulary (I have had to look up a few words!) and smart writing... a great series all in all.

ETA: The first in the series is my least favorite, but still pretty good.

thanks for this recommendation! i just finished the first one and it is amazing. (and if its your least favourite, i can hardly wait to read the next ones!). she is so good at creating wonderfully deep characters, and at portraying images without gory details...

ann

thanks for this recommendation! i just finished the first one and it is amazing. (and if its your least favourite, i can hardly wait to read the next ones!).

Oh good! I just finished the latest and there was a bit of blood and ick, but it was absolutely appropriate for the story, so I was not bothered by it. It was great! I think every book gets better. The coolest thing is that I now have an interest in a period of history that I had been dreading learning about (and therefore not really delving into in lesson planning). For the first time I am interested in modern history, and I have Maisie to thank for it :).

Robert B. Parker and Elizabeth George both have plenty of books and series to their credit.

Dh and I are both reading the Jesse Stone series and I'm reading Careless In Red.

(Dh has finished George's series and recommend both to me.)

Edited by Tammyla

For someone who likes historical mysteries, check out the recent Charles Lennox Mysteries by Charles Finch. They're set in England in the 1860s, and Publishers Weekly said (about the first book) "Finch laces his writing with some Wodehousian touches and devises a solution intricate enough to fool most readers. Lovers of quality historical whodunits will hope this is the first in a series."

The books published so far are: (1) A Beautiful Blue Death, (2) The September Society, (3) The Fleet Street Murders

Jackie

I agree. We have those. Dh and I both love them. (I couldn't find one for the author's name when I typed the original thread, though!)