Menu

Why does everyone post non curricula posts on this board now??

StephanieZ

Can we clean up this board and put non-curricula posts on the general board????

In years past the division was much cleaner. Now it seems that half the threads here should be on the general board.

Having curricula posts in one place, without the other stuff, makes it a lot easier for me to scan for topics that really help me learn about options, curricula, etc.

I love the general posts, too, but don't always have the time for them. I'd love it if we could clean this back up.

Is there a reason why not?

Can we clean up this board and put non-curricula posts on the general board????

In years past the division was much cleaner. Now it seems that half the threads here should be on the general board.

Having curricula posts in one place, without the other stuff, makes it a lot easier for me to scan for topics that really help me learn about options, curricula, etc.

I love the general posts, too, but don't always have the time for them. I'd love it if we could clean this back up.

:iagree: I was wondering if it was just my imagination and/or peri-menopausal crankiness, but I've noticed more than usual non-curriculum related threads here as well. I've even been guilty of it myself. I have heard people complain that the general board is so inundated with non-homeschooling topics that general hs'ing posts get lost in the shuffle, and I tend to agree. I wish there were separate boards for general hs'ing and general chat. OTOH, I'm grateful to have what we have.

I wish there were separate boards for general hs'ing and general chat. OTOH, I'm grateful to have what we have.

:iagree:

Yes, yes, yes! Homeschool posts get lost on the general board. I asked a question yesterday about memory work and got one response. Within an hour it was buried on page three under post about non-homeschooling topics. I was tempted to post it over here on the curriculum board b/c I knew it would get lost on the general board.

:iagree: I was wondering if it was just my imagination and/or peri-menopausal crankiness, but I've noticed more than usual non-curriculum related threads here as well. I've even been guilty of it myself. I have heard people complain that the general board is so inundated with non-homeschooling topics that general hs'ing posts get lost in the shuffle, and I tend to agree. I wish there were separate boards for general hs'ing and general chat. OTOH, I'm grateful to have what we have.

:iagree: We need a homeschooling general board. I admit I rarely go to the general board because there are usually no homeschooling topics. I just checked the general board and there's everything from Legos to chocholate on the first page.

I've been doing it wrong, because if it pertains to homeschooling (a book I want to recommend, a question about math, a question about scheduling), I post on the curricula board.

If it is talk of all other subjects, I post to the general board.

I guess I never really did understand why only "questions about specific curricula and their relationship to classical education" and not all homeschooling topics should be posted on the curricula board. So, I rebel.

On a scrapbooking forum, if it pertains to scrapbooking, it's posted to the scrapbooking board. If it pertains to all other issues, it's posted on the general board. This makes much more sense to me.\

The search feature comes in handy if you want to find posts on a specific program, like Saxon or Writing with Ease.

Memory work is part of school so it belongs on THIS board not the general board.

If you look at the description for the curriculum board at the top of this page it says:

For questions about specific curricula and their relationship to classical education.

And the description for the general board states:

For general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques...

Since my question was about method and technique, not a specific curricula, I posted it on the general board as requested by our gracious hostess. (And like Sue said, I'm very grateful for what we have here at the WTM forums.)

In the beginning ...

The General Board was for general homeschooling questions, and also OT chatter. The curriculum board was pretty much solely curriculum-related.

Now the GB is mostly just chatter, and very little homeschooling. It's a social board more than anything. And it's true, actual homeschooling posts often get lost there.

A "general homeschooling board" plus a "chat board" would fix the problem. Or, we can just realize that the curriculum board is now the "homechooling" board.

I guess I've been doing it wrong as well. I really did not even read the descriptions on the top, I just did it based on the threads I saw posted.

I think it would be good to have the K-8 board divided into grammar and logic stages or at least have a separate middle school one like high school. I do think homeschool topics such as methods would get lost on the general board very quickly. Maybe there needs to be a separate social board and call that one a general homeschool board.

If you look at the description for the curriculum board at the top of this page it says:

And the description for the general board states:

Since my question was about method and technique, not a specific curricula, I posted it on the general board as requested by our gracious hostess. (And like Sue said, I'm very grateful for what we have here at the WTM forums.)

But that's NOT the reality! AND the moderators/owners haven't done anything to change the reality of how the boards are used.

THIS discussion is one of them - this discussion belongs on the other board but the OP decided to post here. It's NOT school related. :tongue_smilie:

So, instead of talking about the problem...can someone tell me HOW to FIX the problem...is there a certain protocol that needs to be followed...someone specifically that needs to contacted, etc???

I agree that there needs to be 3 separte boards...a curriculum one, a general HOMESCHOOLING support board and then just nicely girly chat board...where health, food, toys, and other such topics can be discussed. I would be willing to make the contact or whatever, if someone would just tell me WHAT to do.

Kathy

So, instead of talking about the problem...can someone tell me HOW to FIX the problem...is there a certain protocol that needs to be followed...someone specifically that needs to contacted, etc???

I agree that there needs to be 3 separte boards...a curriculum one, a general HOMESCHOOLING support board and then just nicely girly chat board...where health, food, toys, and other such topics can be discussed. I would be willing to make the contact or whatever, if someone would just tell me WHAT to do.

Kathy

But then there would be less people on each board at one time. They'd be split up more. If the mods don't care, I don't care. I also don't see questions / discussions about homeschooling as "off topic", however.

I for one don't see it as a problem.

Maybe just change the name of the Curriculum board to the Homeschooling and Curriculum discussion board. That seems to be how people use it right now and it's not necessary to get legalistic about the description from ten years ago. Otherwise, people not specifically looking for new curriculum won't go to the board and won't give their opinions and advice about curriculum they have or are using.

People have talked for a while about splitting the boards up more, splitting into grammar and logic stages, etc., but that splits up the discussion and you don't get as much input to your questions. You want the maximum number of people to see your posts to get information.

neither do the moderators/owners. :D

I do see it as a problem. If the mods don't want to create a separate chit-chat board, then they need to change the board descriptions to reflect how they are used. As of now we either have to--1. follow the rules and have our general homeschooling questions lost among a sea of recipe, hot dads, and horrible mother-in-law posts. or 2. Ignore the rules and then end up with people who are mad because we didn't follow the rules.

Maybe we need to start posting links to dubious political sites, flaming each other and giving this thread a low star rating so we can make sure a moderator sees it! :lol:

Things change and evolved over time.. if you've ever organized your files (or recipes or anything) at home or work, you realize that over time some labels (that at the time you created the system seemed great) did not get as much used while others did, or that you were duplicating your contents into other labels/classifications - that's why its always recommended to review the classification/labels from time to time, to see if the name still fits & description.. .

I agree that splitting up too much would mean not only less feedback as Allearia mentioned, but also some people want to use a higher or lower level curriculum than the age/grade it was intended for it would then mean x-posting.... I also think that if it were just for Curriculum, people using that curriculum that might not be in search of a new one, might not come in and give feedback..

I think the name change would be useful.. or maybe just a description change... after all it seems, that everyone is more or less in agreement on how they've been using the boards..

I've also used the curriculum board for questions related to actual homeschooling, and the general board for non-homeschooling stuff... In fact when I'm looking for information I use it like that as well... It seemed more logical - at least to me...

Kate

Edited by shehmeth
typos - hard to type with the toddler jumping up and down on you - LOL

related chats and the curriculum board as anything relating directly to homeschooling, not just curriculum.

That's how it looks to me, especially since the general forum description says this:

For general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, supplemental activities, field trips, assessments, frustrations, online resources, etc. or just for hanging out and chatting!

I guess "general questions about classical education methods" does mean what it says, but I'm just wondering if it's a "bad" thing that people are posting the way they do: all homeschooling stuff on the "curriculum" board, and everything else ("just hanging out and chatting") on the "general" board. Maybe SWB had *this way* in mind when she wrote the descriptions, but when it came down to actual usage, everyone else saw it *that way.* I don't think it's a bad thing, especially since folks were not being rebellious or ugly about it.

I do see it as a problem. If the mods don't want to create a separate chit-chat board, then they need to change the board descriptions to reflect how they are used.
Why do you think the issue is so critical? I don't think a description change would hurt, but I'm uncertain as to why it's currently such a source of discomfort for you.

As of now we either have to--1. follow the rules and have our general homeschooling questions lost among a sea of recipe, hot dads, and horrible mother-in-law posts. or 2. Ignore the rules and then end up with people who are mad because we didn't follow the rules.
Or we can just go with the flow. Boards tend to have a life of their own.

Edited to add: Does it help you if you look at the descriptions as guidelines instead of rules?

Edited by nmoira

I do see it as a problem. If the mods don't want to create a separate chit-chat board, then they need to change the board descriptions to reflect how they are used. As of now we either have to--1. follow the rules and have our general homeschooling questions lost among a sea of recipe, hot dads, and horrible mother-in-law posts. or 2. Ignore the rules and then end up with people who are mad because we didn't follow the rules.

:

What was the moderators response?

Why do you think the issue is so critical? I don't think a description change would hurt, but I'm uncertain as to why it's currently such a source of discomfort for you.

:confused: :confused::confused:It's certainly not a critical issue or a source of discomfort for me. I'm just joining in a discussion that interests me.

What was the moderators response?

And no, I haven't contacted a moderator about this topic because they are not interested.

From the board rules:

Don't use board space to talk about the boards

You can always email the moderators with suggestions, but we've been doing this a long time and probably have heard it all before. (In other words, don't expect an answer.) Threads about how the boards should be run differently, laments about how much more/less welcoming the board is/was now/in the past, and criticisms of the moderators should be posted on...someone else's board.

Kathy

Honestly...this is a long-standing tradition. I doubt it's gonna change - mostly because there are two sets of posters. There are posters who predominantly post on the curriculum board, and that's where their "home" is - where their friends are. So, naturally, that's where they post everything. And, vice versa. If 90% of your posts have been on one board, and you know the people there and they know you, to post on the other would be like airing your dirty laundry to strangers. (The proverbial "you", obviously.) Thank goodness for the pm feature of the new board!!!!

BTW, let's not forget the high school board - tho' everyone there realizes curriculum and method and personalities all converge in homeschooling, so no one ever tries to have a "high school curriculum board" with a separate "high school non-curriculum, but still about homeschooling board" and a separate "High school just chatty" board. It's just a holistic "High school board" thank goodness! How many boards would you have moms-with-kids-in-all-three-stages checking every day?

On a related issue, if you want anyone with experience answering the grammar stage questions, you better keep the K-8 board all together. I am so thankful for all the moms who went before me *especially ones who already had high schoolers* who came to the K-8 Board to answer my questions. Keep the questions easy to access, and you'll get better answers.

JMHO, YMMV, and all that jazz~

Honestly, I posted b/c I find I don't learn as much here as I once did. It makes me kinda sad as I know of nowhere else like this forum for learning about curr. choices.

Part of that might be just that I already know a lot more than I once did. . . But I think that part of it is that the nature of this Curr. board has shifted and so I can't filter out the chit-chat as readily. I liked being able to focus on curr choices/reviews/advice for the most part. . . just stopping by the gen board on occasion but mostly sticking with the brain food on the curr. bd.

I had been away from these boards (very busy with other stuff and I pretty much knew what I needed to know re: curr choices. . .) mostly for the couple years or so. But, these boards have been the LIFEBLOOD of my education in hs'ing curricula for the last nearly decade, since my almost13yo was learning to read at age 3-4. . . I miss what it once was and was just wondering why the change.

I guess I will go ahead and drop the mods. a line. . . Hate to bother them, so thought I'd ask here first to see if there had been some etiquette change I had missed during my time away. :)

:)

Thanks all,

Stephanie

Maybe this is more about what the definition of a curriculum is.

If curricula must be, by definition, purchased from a third-party, then I suppose discussions about how to do something with one's children are considered "general" topics rather than relating to home education. BUT, I see questions about "How do I incorporate poetry memorization into 3rd grade?" or questions about using Shakespeare in middle school to be directly about English literature "curriculum," as in a course of study. I don't think the K-8 Curriculum Board should be only for package deals.

:iagree::iagree:

I find the discussions about teaching techniques and philosophies (which many times include all different kinds of curriculum) very helpful and interesting. I would not like them separated, because having them mixed in with curriculum discussions helps me get a bigger picture of how others are utilizing curriculum AND philosophy to achieve their goal. Anyway, I don't have a problem with how the boards are working. I'm sorry if others see it as a problem.

ETA: I've been on the boards long enough to see them change with the change of posters. There is a constant stream of new people joining, and the forum reflects these changes. I agree with the pp who said that forums take on a life of their own. And that life is changing constantly. I like that. New blood is always good, and brings interesting conversation. :)

Edited by sarahv

If curricula must be, by definition, purchased from a third-party, then I suppose discussions about how to do something with one's children are considered "general" topics rather than relating to home education. BUT, I see questions about "How do I incorporate poetry memorization into 3rd grade?" or questions about using Shakespeare in middle school to be directly about English literature "curriculum," as in a course of study. I don't think the K-8 Curriculum Board should be only for package deals.

I'm quite happy with the separations as they are used now, and see no reason for change.

Perhaps we can focus on the POSITIVE, WONDERFUL attributes of this phenomenal board-- an inspiration and comfort to us all:hurray:-- instead of trying to chastise well-meaning users :glare:or rule what is not ours to decide.

Honestly, I posted b/c I find I don't learn as much here as I once did. It makes me kinda sad as I know of nowhere else like this forum for learning about curr. choices.

Part of that might be just that I already know a lot more than I once did. . . But I think that part of it is that the nature of this Curr. board has shifted and so I can't filter out the chit-chat as readily. I liked being able to focus on curr choices/reviews/advice for the most part. . . just stopping by the gen board on occasion but mostly sticking with the brain food on the curr. bd.

I had been away from these boards (very busy with other stuff and I pretty much knew what I needed to know re: curr choices. . .) mostly for the couple years or so. But, these boards have been the LIFEBLOOD of my education in hs'ing curricula for the last nearly decade, since my almost13yo was learning to read at age 3-4. . . I miss what it once was and was just wondering why the change.

I guess I will go ahead and drop the mods. a line. . . Hate to bother them, so thought I'd ask here first to see if there had been some etiquette change I had missed during my time away. :)

Thanks all,

Stephanie

I've been visiting the boards for a long time, since when we've used the previous system (old board).. I always learning something new, and the homeschool conversations/threads add another depth on how people are actually using the different curriculums on their day to day - more than simply a review of the pros & cons of the curriculum.. I like this and I find this insightful - there's always something new that I hadn't thought about or simply a new twist on something old (or forgotten)......

I think that also the point about the actual definition for "curriculum" comes into play... I agree with stripe that questions about memorization and shakespeare, are part of an English curriculum or talking about nature walks for science, and how to do timelines, laptbooks or notebooking for all subjects (those are the elements you plan to include in your teaching plan) - not only the books/programs that you can buy form a third party...

Kate

• 1 month later...

I'm quite happy with the separations as they are used now, and see no reason for change.

:iagree: too.

Perhaps we can focus on the POSITIVE, WONDERFUL attributes of this phenomenal board-- an inspiration and comfort to us all:hurray:-- instead of trying to chastise well-meaning users :glare:or rule what is not ours to decide.

words to live by!

Sometimes homeschooling and curriculum are so intermingled in some posts.

But then there would be less people on each board at one time. They'd be split up more. If the mods don't care, I don't care. I also don't see questions / discussions about homeschooling as "off topic", however.
:iagree:If the homeschooling questions should really not be on the curriculum board then wouldn't the mods be moving them?

And no, I haven't contacted a moderator about this topic because they are not interested.

From the board rules:

Don't use board space to talk about the boards

You can always email the moderators with suggestions, but we've been doing this a long time and probably have heard it all before. (In other words, don't expect an answer.) Threads about how the boards should be run differently, laments about how much more/less welcoming the board is/was now/in the past, and criticisms of the moderators should be posted on...someone else's board.

Um, wow.

I've never seen this before ~ and I'm actually kinda shocked at how rude it sounds. :001_huh:

Thanks all,

Stephanie

May be that's (the part I put in bold) is why it's happening?

I'm new, and I've asked questions here about using word walls, journals, etc that aren't curriculum specific, but they are learning specific. I didn't really realize that wasn't the way to do it. I've posted questions about my schoolroom on the general board. . .

I don't know what the answer is, but I certainly have an unwelcome feeling now for the first time since I've started coming here. Scared to do the wrong thing now :( I really wasn't trying to take advantage of anything by posting my education specific questions here.

Scared to do the wrong thing now :( I really wasn't trying to take advantage of anything by posting my education specific questions here.

Scared of what? I don't think the moderators would do anything other than move a thread to the different board OR you may get more/less response depending on where you post it (for example, a post about educating in 2+ languages tends to be more responded to in the bilingualism area rather than a more general area). I wouldn't read too much into this thread; no one is running around threatening people about the location of their posts. You will also observe this is an old thread.

I've been coming here since the old boards.... actually changing formats to this board was hard on me. :D

For me, this board is exactly as it always was, we often joked and had a few threads that were not necessarily off topic yet we had the freedom to discuss as we felt led. I like that freedom and I don't think anything has changed. It may look or feel a little different because instead of having on seriously long page of threads we have shorter pages now and that may make it seem like there are more off topic threads.

I don't think it's a big deal. I like the way thing are and have been.

I also don't think anyone should feel scared or uncomfortable posting here. This board is a great place-whether you post daily, monthly or just pop in every now and then!

:grouphug:

This has been my take on it for the months that I have been here. Everything we do for school is some sort of "curricula". :001_smile:

This has been my take on it for the months that I have been here. Everything we do for school is some sort of "curricula". :001_smile:

:iagree: Dictionary definition of curriculum:

cur⋅ric⋅u⋅lum  /kəˈrɪkthinsp.pngthinsp.pngləm/ [kuh-rik-yuh-luhthinsp.pngm]

–noun, plural -la  /-lə/ [-luh] -lums.

1.the aggregate of courses of study given in a school, college, university, etc.: The school is adding more science courses to its curriculum.

2.the regular or a particular course of study in a school, college, etc.

Technically, a curriculum is all the things you do together to instruct your kids, not a product you buy from a company. Although I do also (apparently incorrectly) use the term in the latter way, I also think just about anything that relates to actually homeschooling your kids can be seen as part of your curriculum.

Needless, to say, I like things the way they are. :)