Menu

Shopping

Nordstrom's Rack

OR any of the sale racks at Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom's, Lord and Taylor -- and the outlets for those retailers.

BLACK! Or whatever the new black is this year. Pencil Skirt, white blouse, black cashmere (or a gorgeous jewel tone) cardigan. Scarf depending on the neckline of the blouse. BRACELETS! GREAT shoes that show off your legs.

since you are in the neighborhood, hair and make up at either the Red Door Salon and Spa OR Bumble & Bumble (ask for Joel for hair or Connie).

Post Pictures.:001_smile:

See, that's the spirit. That's what I am talking about.

BLACK! Or whatever the new black is this year. Pencil Skirt, white blouse, black cashmere (or a gorgeous jewel tone) cardigan. Scarf depending on the neckline of the blouse. BRACELETS! GREAT shoes that show off your legs.

since you are in the neighborhood, hair and make up at either the Red Door Salon and Spa OR Bumble & Bumble (ask for Joel for hair or Connie).

Post Pictures. :001_smile:

I look awful in black (makes my skin look yellow and nasty), so I would buy a sweater dress in the lovely rich russet brown they have out this year and pair it with leggings (black or grey) and a pair of great low-top boots with medium heels. And...no, I am not skinny or 6 ft. tall. I am barely 5-5 and curvy.

I think you would have to have two outfits because the east coast has, you know, "rules". The west coast is a lot more casual. We have a Dillard's and to go anywhere in California (unless you think the paparazzi will be taking your picture and basing next seasons fashions on what you are wearing :001_smile:) I would just shop there, on sale if you like. You can buy a nice enough for just about anything you would go to on your own for $500. If you get invited to some fancy shmancy event - well, then you need to be a little more trendy and up to date. East coast - phffft, don't have a clue what is appropriate (no white shoes after Labor Day? :001_huh:)

eta: Bodens outfits are adorable, but too much black for lunch in CA

Edited by jcooperetc

I think since the fabric if heavier and the dress is lined, you could probably pull off the tights.

I'm no fashionista though.

Going from NYC to LA this time of year is a huge weather difference. I personally can't imagine wearing any of the layered outfits you linked to UNLESS ditching the jacket was acceptable. LA might still have on the a/c, as its weather is forecast mid to upper 70's this week.

I think the dresses would be better for LA weather, but I love the darker outfits.

It's just too hot here for all that black long sleeved stuff. I live in the valley and don't even own a coat and my kids are still wearing shorts and sandals.

Edited by Daisy

Got some ideas for you:

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=47898&vid=1&pid=708790&scid=708790002

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=47898&vid=1&pid=708918&scid=708918002

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=47898&vid=1&pid=739736&scid=739736002

I think you want a jersey knit dress instead of sweater knit because sweater dresses seem too casual and too hot for CA.

I would totally buy a great pair of dress boots and wear tights in NYC and no tights in CA. Maybe get a scarf to dress that same outfit down in CA and get a nice piece like this one for NYC

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/jewelry/necklaces/PRDOVR~18013/18013.jsp

Margaret

PS If you find you just can't figure it out, I highly recommend going to an independent boutique and asking them for advice.

How old am I in this scenario? :D

Actually this would be me anytime in the last 15 years...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3059887/0~2376776~2374327~6013751~6013752?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6013752&P=3

All black looks terrible to me in LA and no black in NYC looks like equally lousy to my eye. So something like the above link would be an outfit that could work in both places and fit my personal "rules" about the two cities.

P.S. Is there a French Laundry in LA? (picked that up during the thread). I thought there was one in Napa...so the weight of the pants and all that would really work if you meant the Napa one.

Edited by nono

I have a similar dress to the polka dot one that you linked from Boden--their spring catalog. It's super flattering and makes me happy every time I wear it. I've dressed it up with silver sandals and dressier jewelry for a wedding, and I took it on a cruise and it was super versatile.

It's hard to go wrong with Boden!

Honestly, JMHO, I wouldn't drop that much money on an outfit. I may spend up to $100 on shoes but that's it. I would get black patent leather heels.

I would sew my own dress for under $50. I would make a short sleeve solid color dress with a lining. I go for bright colors and I would make a red or pink dress out of a light wool crepe or nice linen. If I had time, I would make a matching jacket. If it's winter for NYC, I would just wear my winter dress coat over the dress. But that's my preference to make my own dress clothes. I prefer to buy a nice fabric and make a dress since most of the stuff in the stores, even the expensive ones, are made of cheap fabrics and they charge you so much for them.

If I were to sew my own outfit, it would be more for Halloween than anything. Very skeerry .

Honestly, JMHO, I wouldn't drop that much money on an outfit. I may spend up to $100 on shoes but that's it. I would get black patent leather heels.

I would sew my own dress for under $50. I would make a short sleeve solid color dress with a lining. I go for bright colors and I would make a red or pink dress out of a light wool crepe or nice linen. If I had time, I would make a matching jacket. If it's winter for NYC, I would just wear my winter dress coat over the dress. But that's my preference to make my own dress clothes. I prefer to buy a nice fabric and make a dress since most of the stuff in the stores, even the expensive ones, are made of cheap fabrics and they charge you so much for them.

Well, 4Seasons will be during the workweek, right? So, most people will be in business attire. And French Laundry is in Napa, right? Casual but nice casual.

I'd go with a pair of gabardine black pants, blouse with nice jewelry and top it with a very colorful (reds, oranges, yellows etc.) long cardigan sweater. Wear heel to NYC and ballet flats to CA.

I've been in this situation for work and that was another story - I'd just wear a suit to both!~

Have fun!! I envy you the luxury of dining in these two delightful establishments. The French Laundry is a spectacular treat for a foodie!!

Mary

I have been to lunch and dinner (many times) at the 4 seasons in NYC.

There is no way any of my outfits cost anywhere near $500.

I would definitely go for payless shoes. You can get some cut shoes there.

Why do you feel you need to spend so much money on clothes to go there? Am I missing something?

I saw were black, black, and more black. The natives were wearing black boots of every variety. For those a little more dressed up, I saw black boots with black tights with a black skirt and dark top. All this was worn under a black coat. Also, most all of the women were wearing a great scarf around their neck with the coat. I thought it looked fabulous.

For NYC, I'd wear black boots with a 2-3 inch heel, black tights, with a knee length pencil skirt. I'd probably wear a black sweater with a bright colored scarf. (Scarves of every variety are sold all over the city for a great price.)

Well, as I said in my pp, I am too cheap to spend that much on an outfit (not to say I wouldn't love too!!!). But, my ideal outfit would be some sort of spaghetti strap tank/cami (probably some kind of silky material ) with black pants (i'm not a skirt person) and black boots, some awesome jewelry, and a black coat. I would have NO idea where to shop for any of these things besides the local mall:tongue_smilie:

They will help you pull together an outfit. Sometimes at Dillards or Nordstroms the selection is so huge that it's easy to get lost. Talbots is small, and most of the clothing there would be suitable for what you need.

Also, it's important to have an updated haircut (you may already have this), color, if needed, and updated make-up.

Sometimes, people pay attention to their clothes or nails and ignore a good, stylish haircut. IMHO, a good cut is a far better investment that a good manicure.

Yeah, a good blow- out is a given.

They will help you pull together an outfit. Sometimes at Dillards or Nordstroms the selection is so huge that it's easy to get lost. Talbots is small, and most of the clothing there would be suitable for what you need.

Also, it's important to have an updated haircut (you may already have this), color, if needed, and updated make-up.

Sometimes, people pay attention to their clothes or nails and ignore a good, stylish haircut. IMHO, a good cut is a far better investment that a good manicure.

I saw were black, black, and more black. The natives were wearing black boots of every variety. For those a little more dressed up, I saw black boots with black tights with a black skirt and dark top. All this was worn under a black coat. Also, most all of the women were wearing a great scarf around their neck with the coat. I thought it looked fabulous.

For NYC, I'd wear black boots with a 2-3 inch heel, black tights, with a knee length pencil skirt. I'd probably wear a black sweater with a bright colored scarf. (Scarves of every variety are sold all over the city for a great price.)

Yep. Agree. Very classy look that looks stylish, not matronly, but also not like a teeny-bopper.

Have you ever watched Private Practice(Grey's Anatomy) starring Addison Montgomery(Kate Walsh?)? Anyway, her professional outfits are very nicely put together and might provide some great ideas. She wears cute little dresses and skirt/blouse combos w/accessories.

Have you ever watched Private Practice(Grey's Anatomy) starring Addison Montgomery(Kate Walsh?)? Anyway, her professional outfits are very nicely put together and might provide some great ideas. She wears cute little dresses and skirt/blouse combos w/accessories.

I've never seen that show, but I will go to Hulu. :auto:

For me, I'd probably pick:

Top: This or this (plain in LA, over a long-sleeve black top in NYC)

Bottom: Split skirt/gauchos (tweed is probably too heavy for LA, so finding this in jersey knit or light wool would be preferable; black or brown)

Shoes: This, this, or this

Necklace: This, this, or this

Have fun shopping & traveling! :001_smile:

...hmmm, very different!

My understanding is that NYC is still the all black, all the time network. I would buy a Little Black Dress, preferably a sleeveless sheath, and the most expensive, up to the minute high heeled pumps I could afford. I would not worry about outerwear in NYC. I would wear a rain or snow coat, and waterproof boots, and check them at the restaurant, and then change into my smashing shoes.

For NYC, I would add a Hermes scarf if I could borrow one. (I would not want to own one of those, but they are sophisticated and timeless and recognizable.) I would wear some seriously 'real' earrings and no other jewelry unless I had a diamond watch, which I most emphatically do not.

For Napa, I would take it down a notch with some very light or bright color--a turquoise cardigan or jacket, or maybe a light one in natural linen. And I would wear 'natural' looking, biggish, heavy jewelry--tribal type designs, though not anything old-fashioned like turquoise with silver. It would not necessarily be 'real', although something on the heavy side with sterling would be fine (Silpada-ish?).

No hat or gloves either place.

Not sure about the purse. Will your DH keep a lipstick for you in his jacket pocket? If so, I would go with that in NYC. And in Napa, lipstick in the pocket of YOUR jacket.

That's exactly what I plan. Boots and tights and I have a couple of great scarves. I would feel blendy and like me, not like someone else. If I go to CA, I will do a Boden floral dress.

I love this skirt and these boots, but i think it might be too casual:

I do think the skirts from Title Nine are a bit too casual.

What do you think about this skirt? I think you could do dark top, jacket, tights and scarf for NY but a bright colored, short sleeved top and bare legs for CA.

Chris, I am hooked on this show! Thaks. lol I've been ignoring everyone & watching hulu.

Edited by LibraryLover

Do you have a Nordstom nearby? They have a great personal shopper service. For a tricky outfit situation and a $500 budget, I'd go there. Tell them what you want, how much you can spend, and they bring out the parade of outfits. They'll work with your budget.

This is fun stuff.

Bring a girlfriend. There's no fee for the service.

Do you have a Nordstom nearby? They have a great personal shopper service. For a tricky outfit situation and a $500 budget, I'd go there. Tell them what you want, how much you can spend, and they bring out the parade of outfits. They'll work with your budget.

This is fun stuff.

Bring a girlfriend. There's no fee for the service.

I agree with this advice. My oldest had to do the formal thing for a military ball and the personal shopper was AWESOME. She pulled off things that Meghan would never have chosen herself but looked amazing on her figure (curvy and top heavy). She dashed downstairs to gather accessories and in 90 minutes we walked away with a strapless dress, a delicate wrap, and necklace for $220.

Barb (totally gratuitous proud Mommy pic attached)

post-262-1353508317243_thumb.jpg

post-262-1353508317243_thumb.jpg

She is stunning!!!

I agree with this advice. My oldest had to do the formal thing for a military ball and the personal shopper was AWESOME. She pulled off things that Meghan would never have chosen herself but looked amazing on her figure (curvy and top heavy). She dashed downstairs to gather accessories and in 90 minutes we walked away with a strapless dress, a delicate wrap, and necklace for $220.

Barb (totally gratuitous proud Mommy pic attached)