Menu

Have any of you guys seen the new ...

... Disney version of A Christmas Carol? Is it any good. Would you avoid taking a certain age group? I wanna take the family to see it tonight. Its me, DH, DD12, DS6, and DS3. I don't wanna be disapointed and I don't want it to be in appropriate either. It stars Jim Carey and he's not exactly child appropriate to me which is why I'm concerned.

We're going to take the older three kids. We went to the train tour this summer that advertised the movie. They had a 3D preview of the movie and I'm SOOOOO glad dd didn't want to go in! It was SCARY!! I had to close my eyes sometimes because of the 3D factor.

But, I love animation like this. I get to take he older kids. Dh will stay home with dd this time.

I only caught the tail-end of a review by 3 critics that airs on our public radio station last Friday, but they were all ripping into this movies so hard I could hardly believe it. A savagely bad review.

I am curious what forum members who've seen it think, as I've been lobbied hard by the wife and son to go see this. But if it's awful, I'd rather go another way.

Bill

My husband wanted to see it badly today, but I'm reallllly not ready to start Christmas until after Thanksgiving, so we didn't go. The animation seems a little...weird...to me, but we will likely see it anyway, cuz that's just what we do.

Anyway, it's kind of a scary story, so it might be a bit much for a child who scares easily. My kids are pretty familiar with the story and probably won't be bothered by the movie. I'm hoping to get a reading of the book in before we view it...cuz that's what we do, too. :laugh:

I saw it today with my two girls, 6 and 13.

I happened to enjoy it and think it was very well done, but it was definitely scary. Had I known it would have that much creep factor in it I would not have taken my 6 year old. I kept checking throughout the movie to see how scared she was!

In the end, they both said they liked it, too. Would i recommend it? I don't know. Maybe for adults and older children, but not for the littles.

We saw it last night but my kids are 17, 14 and 11. I would be careful about bringing younger kids to it. There were definitely some scary parts and a few times we got startled. We also so it at the IMAX and it was very loud. We thought it was good but not great. I thought that some parts were a bit creepy but some parts were funny. The special effects were pretty good. I don't like Jim Carey so I think I would have liked it better with another actor.

I went last night.

Pro:

Keeps with the original story. Language is like the story. Themes are very clear (and positive). Artistry is shockingly spectacular. Voices are great. 3D is unreal.

Cons:

Scary as all get-out. I jumped out of my skin a couple of times. It's a ghost movie - so in hindsight it's to be expected. Parts of the story are DARK - and likewise so is the movie.

Overall:

I thoroughly enjoyed it but was frankly shocked that it was only PG. I would put this in the growing category of movies that look like kids movies but are really for adults. [As a result of the skewed rating I will be even MORE cautious now if something is rated PG before I would let my kids see it if this movie is any indication of where the AMA bar is set now.] If I had older kids I wouldn't let anyone under 12 see it, and then I'd only take them iif they are unaffected by scary things.

I trust Plugged In Online and they have this review. I've made the decision that we are not going to see it this year. My little guy, 5yo, gets scared pretty easily and the review suggests some quite dark moments.

I think we'll try to rent the Captain Picard version instead!:D

Thank you for reminding me of Captain Picard version. This sounds like it would be a better fit for my family too.

We are Disney freaks so I definitely want to see this. I may take my 5 year old, I'm not sure. She does not scare easily at all (loves Scooby Doo, monsters, haunted houses, etc). I haven't completely decided to take her, but I'm seriously considering it.

Edited to add.....I will not be seeing it right now though. I just cannot do Christmas before Thanksgiving. So hopefully it will still be out after Thanksgiving.

:lurk5:

Just bumping this to see if anyone has actually seen it yet and wants to tell us about it. I'm interested, but don't usually like Jim Carey's movies...

Well I bit the bullet and we went to see it. It was a good movie but I agree with everyone who says it's scary. There was one point were ds6 jumped up and into dd12's lap. Another time I looked over at ds3 and he had his popcorn all over his chest because he had jumped out of fright. It wasn't so scary that they were still scared after the movie was over. It's more of a surprise scary that makes you jump kind of like when someone hides and then jumps out at you for fun.

I only caught the tail-end of a review by 3 critics that airs on our public radio station last Friday, but they were all ripping into this movies so hard I could hardly believe it. A savagely bad review.

I am curious what forum members who've seen it think, as I've been lobbied hard by the wife and son to go see this. But if it's awful, I'd rather go another way.

Bill

I think that radio done reviews are hashly done. One time I heard a review about the movie Happy Feet. It was a very negative review. It was because of that review that I didn't take my dd to see it but a friend of hers insisted that she see it. So she went with her friends and came back with nothing but raves about it.

I think that radio done reviews are hashly done. One time I heard a review about the movie Happy Feet. It was a very negative review. It was because of that review that I didn't take my dd to see it but a friend of hers insisted that she see it. So she went with her friends and came back with nothing but raves about it.

In this case the radio show is on a local public radio station, and this is a "company town", so the critics on this show tend to be pretty respectful even when they clearly don't like a film. Never have I heard a film "savaged" the was this one was. And I only heard the tail-end.

My ears are still open :bigear:

Bill

In this case the radio show is on a local public radio station, and this is a "company town", so the critics on this show tend to be pretty respectful even when they clearly don't like a film. Never have I heard a film "savaged" the was this one was. And I only heard the tail-end.

My ears are still open :bigear:

Bill

I liked the movie.

My ds(15) and I saw it yesterday, and really enjoyed it. He is not a Disney fan, and I am not a Jim Carrey fan, so we went in with a bias against it - and came out really liking it. He's seen just about every video version of the story, and came out liking this one the best.

It is definitely scary and my younger kids (one of them 13 but easily scared) did not come to see it.

Since I'm currently reading Dante's Inferno, I found the scene with Marley's ghost and the ghosts outside interesting rather than just scary.

There is a chase scene toward the end that is pretty ridiculous and doesn't fit, and of course isn't in the original story. But we overlooked that because of the rest of it. (Oh, and the Ghost of Christmas past seemed to have a twitch in his neck that I found distracting - I know he was supposed to be a candle but I thought it was kind of annoying)

I would recommend it for older kids who can handle startling scenes, and for adults.

There's way more than what was in the link I posted. Remember Fantasia? I can't believe I watched that as a kid!

If you're a Christian, this should be really disturbing:

I love Fantasia. I'm a Christian. I don't find it disturbing. I understand the line between fantasy and reality. eta: Also, if you've ever seen the full sequence you would know that the spirits are driven away by the sound of a church bell and the demon loses them. It is then followed by Ave Maria in a church-like natural setting. How is that demonic?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I love Fantasia. I'm a Christian. I don't find it disturbing. I understand the line between fantasy and reality. eta: Also, if you've ever seen the full sequence you would know that the spirits are driven away by the sound of a church bell and the demon loses them. It is then followed by Ave Maria in a church-like natural setting. How is that demonic?

ITA

I like the muppet version :D

Every single review says it is just too frightening for littles. Perhaps as it really should be???

:iagree:It's not exactly a light topic.

And I also love the Christmas Carol by the Muppets! eta: I am also a really huge fan of Scrooged but that one is not child-appropriate.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think it is supposed to be scary. I used to wait for Christmas season and sit up in the dark with popcorn and watch A Christmas Carol. It was the one before Picard with George C. Scott. I would also watch the black and white really old versions as well (those are creepy in the dark with bad sound).

I'll probably take all my kids except the 3 yr. old to see it. I love the story. We will probably watch several versions of it before we go.