Menu

Can we talk about bras?

I am sick of buying bras that just dont work. I am a 34dd and it is almost impossible to find a good bra. After three children I need some support!lol All the bras I find have very thin straps which dont seem to be working or a bra that gives you that Madonna 1980s look. Anyone have a favorite!

I'm a 34dd, and that's the smallest I've been in a long time. For a while I couldn't shop in the regular stores - Lady Grace has a large selection of bras in larger sizes.

I find certain brands fit me better than others, but not necessarily all bras from that brand. I tend toward Bali and Olga lately - I seem to remember Lily of France fitting me well when I was younger, but haven't had as much luck lately. Buying a bra style made for larger sizes or from a company that specializes in larger sizes is helpful. I couldn't wear a Maidenform or Warner's to save my life - they're just not shaped right.

You might want to think about getting a fitting, too - many women are wearing the wrong size bra.

I love Wacoal bras but they are super expensive.

I got some of the nicest bras several months ago at Sears.

My daughter was busy trying on clothes and I wandered over to look at bras. They were on sale (I think I paid about $15-$20/bra) and they have been some of the nicest bras I have ever worn.

Have you considered going to Victoria's Secret and getting sized/styled? They have a nice selection and have a lot on line too. If you get on their email list, they have sales constantly online.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am wearing a bra I just purchased from VS about two weeks ago and I am not satisfied with the support at all. They said I was a 36dd so that is what I bought and the back band slips up all day. A 34dd was to small in the cup with VS. I think the thin straps are the biggest problem. My back hurts alot and my MIL thinks it is from lack of support in the straps.

Have you considered going to Victoria's Secret and getting sized/styled? They have a nice selection and have a lot on line too. If you get on their email list, they have sales constantly online.

LOL - I've never fit into a bra from Victoria's Secret! Do they even make DD? Or maybe my problem was 36DD - I've just shrunk back to 34.

If you want to look online, Bare Necessities has a nice large selection of larger bras - I've had good luck there when I was even bigger and couldn't find a lot of selection off the rack.

:iagree:I second VS. While I'm not all that well endowed, I do have the, um, sag/support issue, and I really, really, really like the Body By Victoria line.

I know Wacoal is expensive, but their support is so superior to anything else. If you are careful about handwashing with recommended soap and laying flat to dry they will last a LOOOOOONG time; I am very close to your Dewey Decimal number :) or at least on the same BooKshelf :lol: and Wacoal is the only one that has worked for me post kiddoes. If you can hold out for a sale, Nordstrom always has the basic Wacoal at a very good discounted price at sale time...I recently got two "Awareness" bras (that's the style name) for almost 50% off at the Anniversary sale (July). I believe the Half-Yearly is coming up soon...check and see if any Wacoal will be on sale. The sales clerks will usually tell you if they are.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am wearing a bra I just purchased from VS about two weeks ago and I am not satisfied with the support at all. They said I was a 36dd so that is what I bought and the back band slips up all day. A 34dd was to small in the cup with VS. I think the thin straps are the biggest problem. My back hurts alot and my MIL thinks it is from lack of support in the straps.

Some VS lines are not great. And, oddly, thier sizes aren't the same from one line to the other! Some are awesome. Which line did you get?

ETA to say that I suppose the strap widths would be a problem with these bras - they really are quite narrow.

Edited by LauraGB

This is what I'm talking about when I say don't buy a bra from a company that specializes in bras for smaller women. VS is all about padding and push up. They don't have larger straps because the smaller women don't need them. I have shared your experience that even if a VS bra is labeled my size it's too small in the cup. A larger size of a small bra is not what you need - you need to buy a bra designed for larger women. It doesn't have to be something that looks like some medieval torture device, but it can be pretty and designed to support a larger figure. VS (and Maidenform and Warner's) are designed for the smaller/mid-range sizes.

I thought I was a 34 DD. I went to a bra store without the boys 2 weeks ago and they measured me. Turns out I'm a 30 G! I would never ever ever have thought a G but I guess it is the difference between the ribcage measurement.

I did purchase a bra from the store and it does provide me with a lot more support than I've ever had and nothing sticking over the top. It was pricier than I would have liked to have spent but now I know my true size for future purchases.

Do you have any Intimacy stores in your area? They have *fabulous* European bras, a very wide size-range and well-trained staff to help you find the perfect size and style for you. You need to have an appointment, but that's because they spend a lot of time with you figuring out exactly what you need.

Their bras aren't cheap, but when I came home and checked online, I didn't find that there was a mark-up for the services they offer. I paid the same that I would have paid for those bras online or anywhere else.

I was very nervous about going in, but I too was frustrated trying to find a decent bra that *fit*. I planned to just buy a sports bra (and I luuuuuurve my sports bra from them -- no uni-boob, great support), and ended up coming out with two more bras that I love more than any others I've had since I was in college. I will definitely go back there next time I need another bra.

(And I've bought bras at VS several times. But they never fit properly, they don't have much support, and even *I* knew that the sales girl there didn't have a clue what she was talking about when she tried to measure me and tell me what size I was. Gah.)

I'd see if you have a specialty bra store in your area.

I'm a 36H (actually the H is too small since having Madelynn so I'm probably an I now) so I can't buy bras at any store but the specialty store. The fact that I'm nursing makes it even harder to find bras. However, the bras that I buy at the specialty store all have a 1 inch wide strap and pretty decent support...though they aren't remotely pretty.

I am also a DD, and have been buying mine from Avenue for many years now. They're not too expensive, comfortable, last longer, and provide good support.

Just click on avenue body

http://www.avenue.com/

ETA: if you ever wanted to order something from there, do a google search for an avenue.com coupon code. There's always a good one available.

I discovered Wacoal bras last year and will never buy anything else. They are pricey - around $60, but they are so worth it. It was hard for me to spend that much at first, but now I am way okay with it. Try a few on, I have one style that I love and it is all I wear. It is a minimizer bra, but it doesn't make me look squished like other minimizer bras have. The one I like has sheer back straps with a leaf design embroidered on it. The same material is along the top of the cups. I get mine at Macy's.

I'm going to second the local bra store idea. Even our tiny town has one, so hopefully, you can find one. Be prepared for a higher price tag though.

If you have a Khols nearby, you might consider looking there. They have a huge selection to try.

I can't wear VS anymore. I used to. But, the sales lady there tried to kindly tell me that VS is more for "younger, less saggy women". Boy was I embarrassed! She didn't mean to be insulting. She said they have changed their styles dramatically over the past year. I suppose this is right because my one remaining VS from 5 years ago is very different from what I saw at the store recently.

For a quick fix for the loose straps you can buy one of these "thingys" at a Motherhood shop. It attaches to the back of your bra straps and pulls them together, eliminating floppy straps. It turns your bra into a "racerback" or X shape but it works.

Motherhood also carries good supportive bras in a good variety of sizes - they are nursing bras but you don't need to use them that way, and they are less expensive than VS or some of the other options mentioned here. VS does have a few good options for you but they quite a bit -- it is worth a try. If you can get something with a wide strap it is more comfortable.

Motherhood also separately sells the portion of the bra that has the "eyes" for the hooks to hook into (in standard colors - black, white, beige). If the 34" measurement turns out to be too loose you can sew one of those onto the bra and you can turn it into a smaller size.

It is maddening to try to find something that fits. If you think 34 DD is hard, we deal with 32 DD and it is near impossible without doing some alterations.

Pffft...Try being a J cup if you think DD is hard to find a good bra in! Especially when I'm a 34! Most J cups are 38+!

I've resorted to ebay. Its the only place I can find my cup size and not pay $130+ for a flipping bra! I most of the time still can't find my band size, so I make do as best I can.

I sooooooooooo need a breast reduction, and it would be paid for by our health care system as it compromises my breathing, back, etc. But since developing RSD, I'm terrified of what surgery and messing around with MORE nerves might do. RSD can spread, and I'm scared to death of developing RSD in my torso. An arm is more than bad enough.

I wear a 34G or 36F, so I know what you're talking about. I have further issues in that I cannot wear underwires.

I like the Wacoal softcups I get at Dillard's. They aren't cheap, but they do offer a lot of support, especially for a softcup in that size.

Wacoal Everyday Soft-Cup Bra

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=500977267&Ntt=bras&Ntk=all&search.x=0&N=1000480+2010341&Nty=1&search.y=0&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3FNtt%3Dbras%26Ntk%3Dall%26search.x%3D0%26N%3D1000480%2B2010341%26Nty%3D1%26search.y%3D0&R=01766388

ok what style of Wacoal are you guys wearing? I bought one from Dillards about six months ago and the back strap on it also rides up. What is wrong with me? I cant find a style name on it but it is made with a very slick material and I thought maybe that was the problem.

I am also a DD, and have been buying mine from Avenue for many years now. They're not too expensive, comfortable, last longer, and provide good support.

Just click on avenue body

http://www.avenue.com/

ETA: if you ever wanted to order something from there, do a google search for an avenue.com coupon code. There's always a good one available.

which style do you like best?

I have to say, since having children and increasing my booKshelf size significantly, I have never found a VS bra that would do what it needs to do. They are made for smaller women, and just don't seem to know how to manage a larger cup size. :(

My first suggestion is to go to your local intimates shop and get fitted. Get a nice bra.

Second, this is a fabulous place to get bras. Since I know my size, I get them all here. Melissa is an expert when it comes to fit and support. They even have the great European ones. I think the prices are great.

http://www.breakoutbras.com/

Didn't read replies, but I went to Nordstrom about 2 months ago and am in love! They fitted me, properly for the 1st time ever. VS did not do it properly. They told me how things were supposed to fit, kept me in the dressing room and went out to find bras for me. I found some great ones on sale for $32.00. I know that sounds like a lot, but it was cheaper than VS and for the first time in my life I am not pulling bra straps off of my arms. I didn't know it could be this good. :tongue_smilie:

ok what style of Wacoal are you guys wearing? I bought one from Dillards about six months ago and the back strap on it also rides up. What is wrong with me? I cant find a style name on it but it is made with a very slick material and I thought maybe that was the problem.

The "Awareness Bra" has wide, wide straps which don't move, and the back has three rows/settings of two hooks/eyes.

I've been measured several times, by different stores, and am currently a 34D. I've worn VS for years. But, I feel the quality is not what it used to be and the marketing is geared for the younger generation. I'm ready to move on and those Wacoal bras might just be what I'm looking for. I hope there is a sale around Christmas!

If the back strap is riding up, then you need to go down a chest size and up a cup size. I had a horrible time with bras when I was trying to wear 38F. When I use the calculator things to figure out what size I need, they always say either 38F or 36G. When I went to a bra specialty shop, they said that I needed 36F or 34G. I didn't like any of their bras though. The Wacoal softcup bra is the one that I like best. It doesn't come in G, so I wear 36F (36DDD). It doesn't ride up on me at all and the straps are nice and wide.

LANE BRYANT!!! I measure a 38 DDD and I ended up in a 40 C, but it is extremely flattering. Let the staff help you.

My mom was showing me her new bras (we are not shaped the same) and I said "they don't fit, try mine on" And it was flattering on her and fit her too.

LOVING Lane Bryant for bras. Problem is I bought a couple of other things (size 14) because they were so pretty. I am usually a size 16 and these things are HUGE! Falling off. LOL

Another Lane Bryant lover here. They are very helpful and even though their bras offer lots of support, they are still very pretty. They also really take the time to measure you correctly and help you find bras that will do what you need them to do. I love all the bras I have purchased from them, and I am a bra hater.

Boy do I hate bras. They hurt my back.Sometimes they also hurt my neck and shoulders. I am already wearing a 38 and I know that I do not have a 40" chest. The measurement is probably not wrong but between my arthritis, my asthma, and my muscle spasms, I really probably shouldn't be wearing bras. But then what? I am not a 12yo and I do wear a 38C right now. It fits for a while but it hurts my back after a few hours. It isn't riding up or going anywhere but it just hurts. Any advice?

Me too, I'm a 34DD or so... and I got about 5 of the VS cuz I decided I wanted them... really nice, but slip all day...

My favorite bra is my nursing bra.... supportive.... and simple:-) (And no, I'm not nursing anymore)

Carrie

I'm a 36DD. I wear Lily of France sports bras with underwire support. I was having major back problems from the wimpy bras I had been wearing...pretty but powerless. Since starting with the sports bras my back (neck) issues have lessened greatly.

Me too! 36DD. They are the only ones that don't hurt my shoulders. They are all cotton and I like that too. I'm not saying I like them. I hate all bras with a passion. But these are the least of all evils that I have found.

figleaves.com

barenecessities.com

I love the story Intimacy (Atlanta, Chicago and maybe Houston iirc) but once I figured out my size (or actually they figured it out), I prefer ordering online, ording *tons*, then sending back what doesn't work, keeping what does.

I cannot stand Wacoal. They're a cheap unacceptable replacement imo for quality undergarments from Fantasie, Freya, Rigby&Peller and other high quality european brands.

The most common bra sizing error? Too big of a band and too small of a cup. So many wearing a 38DD are really a 32 E, F, G or H. Right now I'm a 36G but even when I was very thin I was buying 36DDD's when what I really needed was 32F.

My solution while nursing? Continue to wear my good, properly fitted bras....some I had 'converted' per my own engineering specifications into jury-rigged nursing bras. Finally I got smart and just would lift myself out of the cup, push the cup down, nurse baby, then put myself back:) I could do it all without exposing anything.

K

If 34dd (34e) is too small in the cup, then you need to try either 34ddd (34f) or 36dd (36e).

I'm supposed to wear a 34g, but I can't find a softcup bra in that size. I wear a 36f instead.

Dillards carries the Wacoal Everyday Softcup in 34ddd if you want to try it. See if your local store carries it for you to try on.

My Dillards never has more than one of my bras in stock. I always buy that one and then order whatever else I need.

If a 34dd is to small in the cup but a 36dd fits in the cup but is to big in the band, what size should i be? 34ddd? 34f? dont know if they have e.

You need to be properly fitted by someone. The cup sizes aren't equal across band sizes. What that means is that a D cup on a 34 band is actually smaller than a D cup on a 36 band. If 34 is your actual band size, your cup size is probably an E or an F...and yes, they make those, but you won't find them in regular department stores.

And to make it even more difficult, different brands make different shaped cups. Some brands will fit and look better than others. When I last went to the specialty bra store near me, the salesperson looked me up (they keep records of their customers and the bras and size they need) and told me they were out of stock. She offered to order more but I really needed a new bra that day so I went looking through their stock. I found a different brand in my size and tried it on. It was horrid, making me look squished from top to bottom and sticking straight out. I mentioned the weird cup shape. She explained that she hadn't mentioned that brand to me because she knew it wouldn't fit me right but it does work well for women with a different shape breasts than I have.

The moral of the story...it really is helpful (even essential) to get properly fitted.

Ok, can I ask you ladies someting about getting fitted for a bra?

How exactly does that work? I mean, does the lady fitting you need you to be, well, um, undressed to any degree?

I'm very modest, and I don't think I could even bring myself to go for a fitting if I have to do it without a shirt on. Much less if I'm supposed to do it with no shirt and no bra on...:blushing:

I'm so embarrassed if this is a silly question...

But I could really use some new, good bras! Is there a good, reliable way to measure yourself? I mean, I *do own one of those flexible measuring tape thingys...

Help me out here, ladies. :D

How exactly does that work? I mean, does the lady fitting you need you to be, well, um, undressed to any degree?

I'm very modest, and I don't think I could even bring myself to go for a fitting if I have to do it without a shirt on. Much less if I'm supposed to do it with no shirt and no bra on...:blushing:

I'm so embarrassed if this is a silly question...

But I could really use some new, good bras! Is there a good, reliable way to measure yourself? I mean, I *do own one of those flexible measuring tape thingys...

Help me out here, ladies. :D

You can have your shirt on, but usually not your bra. They will measure and bring you bras, but you are not expected to try them on in front of them. Usually they will expect to inspect the fit after you put the bra and your shirt on, but not always. I am not modest at all when it comes to other women or doctors seeing me (they have seen it all before after all) and when I went to Lane Bryant I had to ask her to come in there and check it out. :D

I know Wacoal is expensive, but their support is so superior to anything else.

No, really....until you've tried Fantasie, Freya, Rigby Peller and the other similar brands from Intimacy, figleaves.com., barenecessities.com you just don't know what you're missing;)

It's amazing, the difference.

I buy a ton at a time, all on clearance or sale from figleaves, then return most of it. I end up paying reasonable prices for bras that are seriously perfect.

:)

k

The bra you have, if it's riding up, simply doesn't fit properly. It's probably a combo of:

1)band size to large

2)go down in band and probably up in cup

3)straps too short

Sounds like you're relying on the *straps* to hold the girls up rather than having a perfectly fitted cup in combo with a properly fitted band.

The straps shouldn't hold the bulk of the support.....the band and cups should.

:)

K

The "Awareness Bra" has wide, wide straps which don't move, and the back has three rows/settings of two hooks/eyes.

But who wants all that? I want support, perfect fit, pretty, normal straps not wide, two hooks in the back not 3-5. Why can the euros and brits do with bras what we can't?

Like the Japanese and euro cars v american....what's the deal?

After years of Bali and Wacoal bras, fitted by department store sales persons, and thinking it was reasonably getting the job done, even if not all that well, I was thrilled to find a *whole world* out there of bras that fit perfectly, offer excellent support, are well made and gorgeous. Who new?

If a 34dd is to small in the cup but a 36dd fits in the cup but is to big in the band, what size should i be? 34ddd? 34f? dont know if they have e.

34 E or F.....they have them at Nordstorm, figleaves.com, barenecessities.com, biggerbras.com (if that's still around). It can take some time to find just the one for you. Whenever my size changes or I need a new one and my previous fave was disco'd, it can take 20-30 try-ons to find just the right on. Keep in mind that I'm very, uh, detail oriented, 5 ft tall, large chested, so it can really take some time....just know that going in.

You need to be properly fitted by someone.

It can be very helpful....if there is a good person AND that store has the right bras. Since most stores don't size past DDD - and even then have a paltry selection, most of the time that helpful person won't be the bra saleslady at a regular departmentstore or bra store.

And to make it even more difficult, different brands make different shaped cups. Some brands will fit and look better than others.

Oh gosh how true that is. I really right now can wear anything from a 34H to a 36F depending on the individual bra, style, cup shape, fabric, manufacturing differences etc

Ideally yes....but think of it this way: they're dealing with breasts and bras all day. It's not different than going to the doctor or getting help from a lactation consultant.

But I could really use some new, good bras! Is there a good, reliable way to measure yourself? I mean, I *do own one of those flexible measuring tape thingys

http://www.barenecessities.com/fit_sizing.aspx

It's a good *guideline* but based my experience as well what others have mentioned, I'd consider the measurements no more than a guideline....a place to start. I generally order 3-4 sizes per new bra that I order simply b/c of differences in fit between styles and manufacturers.

Have fun!

Katherine