Menu

Fences

I need opinions and information please. My neighbors just put up a fence. They didn't consult us on it or anything (why would they? It's theirs). So they came to my husband yesterday and told him that if we ever put up a fence, we have to pay them $300.00 to "tie into" theirs. :confused: Um, is this normally the way it's done? Their fence is right on the edge of their property line so that makes it right on the edge or ours too. So can they charge us for using the side of the fence they already put up? It seems silly to me to put up another side right next to their side and if it comes to it, we would pay before putting up another fence but I don't think it's right to charge us for something they did.

Although this really makes me angry and I don't want to pay them anything for their fence, I really do want opinions and thoughts. I'm new to off-base living and if this is the way things are done, we'll adjust.

Thank you.

Edited by Wyndie
punctuation

When I lived in a townhouse, we shared fences and these issues were outline in the covenents. I would think that if you were going to use their fence as a part of your fence, you'd be responsible for 1/2 the cost and upkeep of that section of the fence. Again, that is a townhouse situation where there is no easement between lots.

If you are in a typical single family home subdivision, I would think there are restrictions on how close to the property line you can build your fence. In my neighborhood there is no way to tie in to your neighbors fence because of this easement (sort of no mans land). If you did, you'd have to have some sort of contract written up.

FWIW, both my neighbors have fenced in backyards. We choose not to. We don't maintain any of the fencing that faces our yard. Maintenance is one reason we chose not to have a fence.

hth

K

I've never heard of such a foolish thing and no way would I pay them anything. $300 for *what*? "tie into" - you mean, for your 3rd fence wall to end at theirs? Pffft. Yeah whatever. End the dang thing two inches away. ;)

Bahahaha Thanks for the laugh. This is how I feel about it to but thought perhaps I'm just missing something.

You just need to consult your convenants. These are legal restrictions that are recorded and burden the land and a part of the terms of buying the property. Many, many developments have them. Chances are it will say that adjacent fence connecting is mandatory and, therefore, all fences must be built on the property line. It might even say that the finished side of a new fence has to face the neighboring yard (i.e. you should get the pretty side). It could also specify allowed fence designs, maximum fence height, allowable materials and stain colors, etc. I doubt it says a word about $300 fees. Whatever "wall" this guy put up is forever his property (unless of course he gives it to you as a gift, in which case it becomes your property). Even if you tie into it, he still has a duty to maintain his wall. If he wants you to share maintenance costs, that is really your choice, no?

You can make him squirm if you discover and alert him that he has built anything that does not comply 100% with all the covenants.

I think announcing the pre-emptive $300 fee was not nice, and an ineffective way of soliciting charity.

Edited by mirth

Our fence is tied into our neighbor's. It was that was when we bought the house but she owns that section of the fence. It is on her property side of the line. If she ever decided to take her fence down the we would have to put up a new fence on that side or have a two sided fence. Apparently it is very common around here as almsot every yard has it set up this way. I have only seen one or two where the people had to fences set up side by side. I am assuming they are very good neighbors.

She is currently thinking of having her fence powerwashed and stained which would include the inside of the fence on our side. She has offered to find someone to do both fences for a reduced price with each of us paying half the price. I have no problem with the concept but it really isn't in our budget right now.

I am incredibly greatful for the fences though. She is a older, single lady with a beautifully landscaped yard and pool. The rest of the cul-de-sac is full of kids playing soccer, and volleyball, and other sports in which things would constantly end up in her yard and end with children trampling her landscape. It would be a neighborhood nightmare so I am happy with the fence.

Thank you for the responses. I have to find my covenant rules... Eeek, I have no idea where they are but it does sound like I need to look at the rule side of things.

I honestly have no intention of paying them anything. They have caused us trouble before (and we've only been here two months!!) but they put on a smile and play nice when we're looking AND I really don't want to be on the outs with neighbors. We've never had pain in the rear neighbors before and I was hoping not to start but alas, when it comes to charging us money for their own stuff, that's just going too far.

My husband laughed when I told him you all said to put the dang thing 2" away. I confess, that makes me :lol: . That's totally my plan if the rules say we don't have to pay to tie in and they make a stink about it anyway.

the placement of their fence. Some areas make you put it so many feet from the property line.....check that....and also make sure NONE of it is on your property line.

Yes, and in ours you have to get permission first from the board. When I asked for permission they told me to remember to place it 6 inches from my neighbors property line.

While I see how at first glace it can seem like a ridiculous request I can see where they are coming from (although I think they worded it poorly- and should have discussed it before putting up the fence). When we moved into a new subdivision it was in our CCR's that everyone needed to have a fenced backyard within a year (no mention of how it was paid for). If we didn't chip in and share the cost of the sides we shared with neighbors, then some neighbors could just wait for others to build their fence and get off without paying for anything but the front and a gate. I don't know how long their fence is, but the $300 will cost you a lot less than if you were to do it yourself- if you choose to fence your entire yard. If you don't, then you don't owe them anything. It only really costs you anything if you decide to fence the rest of your yard.

Sorry they have been difficult. It is hard to find good neighbors.

If they had asked nicely before installing the fence AND you were interested in fencing your yard then sharing the cost would have been the nice thing to do (and you would have gotten a say in the type of fence). Since they demanded after the fact I would also end the fence 2 inches away. If they asked (or demanded) again I would tell them you won't be paying them because of their approach to the situation.

It's standard in my area to, at the very least, have permission to tie in. I've not heard specifically of anyone charging neighbors for it, but I'm sure it's done. Both of my neighbors have asked us about tying in, and we've agreed with no problem (but neither have built fences yet!). Others in the neighborhood have chosen to end their fence about 2-6" inside their property line and plant a thorny bush in the corner to prevent pets from leaving the yard.

I don't see any reason to be upset with asking permission to tie in. After all, it's their investment. However, asking for a fee to do it is very unneighborly.

You could possibly save money by using the portion on their fence that is adjacent to your yard, thus the idea that you pay them back some of what they put into that part of the fence.

If you wanted a different fence or whatever you simply put your own fence up and don't tie into theirs at all.

They could have mentioned this with more tact. Maybe they aren't great socially or something?

If you do decide to put up a fence and realize it is cheaper to link them and ultimately share a fence wall, remember you wold both be responsible for that wall. Any damage or upkeep would be shared for that potion of the fence.

Most neighborhoods have land use easements. In other words rules about how close to your property line you can put up a fence, plant a tree, build a shed, etc.

Others in the neighborhood have chosen to end their fence about 2-6" inside their property line and plant a thorny bush in the corner to prevent pets from leaving the yard.

I don't see any reason to be upset with asking permission to tie in. After all, it's their investment. However, asking for a fee to do it is very unneighborly.

Great idea about the thorny bush. That was my concern about leaving a few inches away so thank you for that solution.

We didn't ask to tie in or anything. One day out of the blue, the guy brought over a schematic of their fence with a price on it and handed it to my husband when he got home from work. Totally unsolicited on our part.

They could have mentioned this with more tact. Maybe they aren't great socially or something?

THAT is a huge understatement. :tongue_smilie:

When we put up our fence we were told that to use the big posts that our neighbor had we would have to get their permission. That is what they mean by 'tie-in'. We didn't want to deal with the neighbors fence and also upon the recommendation of the fencing company, we had our company put in our own posts. The fences are perpendicular and at the point they meet there are two posts. If we had wanted to we could have 'tied-into' the existing post but it was the neighbors. Our fencing contractor told us that he sees this issue a lot and has put many fences back to back because of it.

If you want to put in your own fence all you need to do is have your fence company use your own posts. Make it clear to your contractor that you do NOT want to tie-in to any existing fence. It sounds like your neighbor would be very icky on this matter and you certainly don't want to pay them that much to share a post. I would tell the neighbors that they need not concern themselves with your fencing decisions since they won't be affected. It would annoy me to have a neighbor do that. :glare:

We moved into a house with a four-ft tall chain link fence almost 16 years ago. Since then, the neighbors two doors down put in a white picket fence. The house in between White Picket and us decided to add some white fence in back, and a white picket gate across their driveway (from the corner of our ugly chain length to their house. Now - to complete their look, they want us to pay half the cost of replacing the chin length between our properties to white picket. Then all their fences will match. BUT - then ours won't match - we would have a mixture of white picket and chain length (and, with a Labrador, I prefer to keep the chain length anyway). Sigh. So I planted a trumpet vine along the chain length between us, to help hide the ugly fence, and told hubby "NO!" to replacing any chain length, study fence with anything else.

That is what I would do also. And if they decide they don't need a fence afterall, then you'll have to put up a 3rd side to your fence. How ridiculous for them to try to cause issues like that! It doesn't cost them more or less; it's just ugliness, unnecessary trouble-making!

:iagree: That is totally ridiculous! My defiant side would be tempted to go out and build my own fence and end it where it was "not touching" theirs. But if this were the only reason I put it up, that wouldn't be nice. I still cannot believe that people can be so rude, and to their neighbors!

When we built our fence, we were specifically told that we could not tie onto our neighbor's (city rules, I think). So our fence sits directly next to theirs and one of their sides is shared by us, but nothing is actually connected (maybe 1" apart? Not enough of a distance that anything could ever get through.)

We had some storms a couple of years ago and a section of the shared fence was knocked down--the neighbors asked my husband to share in the cost of the repair. He agreed, although I was a little shocked that they actually asked him. Sure, we benefit from their fence, but it was because their fence is many years old that came apart anyway. In the end, they fixed the fence and other parts of the fence in their yard, so they must have re-thought the request.

Oh, and after all that I wrote, I never commented - I think their request is ridiculous and I wouldn't worry about building a fence without tying on, it's not necessary if the fence is on the property line. If their fence is several inches on their side of the property line then it could be a problem since you would have a gap (although the suggestions of a thorny bush may solve that problem).

I would use the two pole idea. Just place your pole in front of theirs on your side or behind wherever it fits and run your fence from there. You still use their fence as a side but never tie in to theirs and thus never touch it. A lot of people do this. It keeps from having to ask permission to do it and from double fencing a side. But do check ordinances. Your subdivision may have one, the city may, the county may ... Just depends on where you are.

We have spilt costs with neighbors on our current fence. We have 3 sections in the back, we put in the left section, the back yard neighbor put in one section, and the right side neighbor put in one section. Over time we have paid to re-stain their sections if they provide the labor (they have the tools). It is a win/win for us. We benefit from their fence, and shared posts, so I don't mind a few hundred dollars to keep my side looking good too.

It was an awkward way to approach it, but I would wonder if the contractor put the thought in his mind, and he just went with it.

they had asked in advance and IF you wanted to have a fence, that would have been a good neighborly thing to do - request your participation. And you could have graciously answered your preference.

Their request is not the customary and acceptable course of action when fence building (we've built two in the past). It doesn't appear they understand common courtesy frankly. Best wishes as you try to find a way to bless and not curse despite their deserving a curse!

Once you get the HOA rules papers, I would copy the pertinent sections and highlight the specific parts relevant to this situation.

If you want to establish a "We will not be pushed around" vibe with the neighbors right now, then I would have your dh hand carry it over to the neighbor and explain that you have no interest in nor obligation to tie into any part of their fence. Make them aware that you are well informed about your rights and will not surrender them.

If you are seeking a "let sleeping dogs lie" situation, then I would keep the highlighted papers in a handy place where you will not lose them and be sure both you and dh know where they are. If the neighbor comes over again at a later date, you can grab them and within seconds let him know clearly where you stand.

Only you can decide which approach to take. Sometimes some people need to have it made known to them what the boundaries are, both literally and figuratively. Other times, people may not be good socially but over time the relationship can become quite civil, if not warm and friendly, if left to develop calmly over time.

I need opinions and information please. My neighbors just put up a fence. They didn't consult us on it or anything (why would they? It's theirs). So they came to my husband yesterday and told him that if we ever put up a fence, we have to pay them $300.00 to "tie into" theirs. :confused: Um, is this normally the way it's done? Their fence is right on the edge of their property line so that makes it right on the edge or ours too. So can they charge us for using the side of the fence they already put up? It seems silly to me to put up another side right next to their side and if it comes to it, we would pay before putting up another fence but I don't think it's right to charge us for something they did.

Although this really makes me angry and I don't want to pay them anything for their fence, I really do want opinions and thoughts. I'm new to off-base living and if this is the way things are done, we'll adjust.

Thank you.

Technically you could sue them for putting the fence on your property. Right on the line is a violation.

Technically you could sue them for putting the fence on your property. Right on the line is a violation.

That is what I was thinking also. On the line would prevent you from using the line as well, thus should be off limits unless previously agreed to by both parties in writing and accepted by your HOA.

I also would not let sleeping dogs lie. Some places may have a clause where they can lay permanant claim to an area due to the longevity of having used it.

Edited by mommaduck

We benefit from their fence, and shared posts, so I don't mind a few hundred dollars to keep my side looking good too.

It was an awkward way to approach it, but I would wonder if the contractor put the thought in his mind, and he just went with it.

This is similar to what we have with our neighbors, too. Fences are EXPENSIVE! I'm glad that we didn't have to pay for our entire yard and the previous owners paid for the tie-in.

I would grant your neighbors the benefit of the doubt -- you already stated that they have social issues and maybe it did come from the contractor. If you weren't going to put up a fence, it is a moot point.

What are your covenant rights? I am curious . . .

I don't know yet; I can't find the dang thing! I have an email and phone call in to get a copy but as of now, I don't know.... which is driving me crazy. I'm ready to resolve this.

Although we are not putting up a fence right now, we do plan to within a year but the fact that they are making an issue of it makes it something I want to deal with now rather than next year when it comes up.

Here's the funny thing, if you put up a fence, which is on your side of the property line, depending on how things go there... they have to do ALL maintenance from their side of the fence. Now, you would have to see where your property lines are... and put up your fence in accordance with that... but you could do this. I would put up a fence straight away... as close to theirs as you could. As in... "Thanks for the Fence" and ... no problem.. here are the guidelines we were told about by the "Code Enforcement" or whatever.

Hope they checked into where they were suppose to place their fence.. and what side you have to see and all of that. Neighbors can be pleasures or real pains!