Menu

Do you have a favourite word?

Mine is 'schadenfreude', and Calvin has picked it up from me:

Two conversations

Laura

My favorite word this week is "snap!" Yes, it's so intellectual, don't ya think!:tongue_smilie: This is what happens when you hang out with your kids too long who watch Disney Channel. Here's how you use it in case you don't know.

Mom dropped a full gallon of red kool-aid all over the newly mopped wooden floor and she said, "Snap!"

"Sapperlot", it's German, too, but not half as intellectual as "Schadenfreude". It's used (a lot in this house!) to tell someone off in a friendly-ish manner. Nobody else has picked it up though, cause in our house you're not allowed to tell people off in German, if you don't use it for normal communication, too. Dh loved to use "harsh sounding" German words for telling off, that I put an end to it.:smash:

"Sapperlot", it's German, too, but not half as intellectual as "Schadenfreude". It's used (a lot in this house!) to tell someone off in a friendly-ish manner.

I speak French and Chinese, and can read some Spanish and Latin, but never learned German. What does 'Sapperlot' actually mean?

Laura

I don['t have a favorite word, but I have a few words I despise. http://www.thefoilhat.com/insidethefoilhatblog.htm?blogentryid=635025 You can read about it here if you like, I can't bring myself to type the word. ::::shudder::::::

Oh LOL Amy! My dh has refers to wet wipes as "moist toweletts" which always makes me howl. I wasn't aware there was anyone else besides me (and now my daughters) who finds that word so funny.

Barb

"Sapperlot" is rather unspecific, along the lines: "I've told you a million times to be careful, don't do that, get off, pay attention,....." it's just more succinct.

However, it seems it's Southern German only, a Northern friend though for months that I was telling my children off in Tajik, lol. I wouldn't do that though, cause I'm a firm believer in not using another language just to tell somebody off, how unfair is that?!

"Sapperlot" is rather unspecific, along the lines: "I've told you a million times to be careful, don't do that, get off, pay attention,....." it's just more succinct.

Now that's one I've never heard, despite my familiarity with German. I looked it up and yeah, the translation, such as it is, is pretty unspecific, like you said. Several sources cited it as "sackerlot" and one stated that's an archaic curse formed from the French "sacre nom". Who knows?!

:glare:

Did you have to look that one up? Now I'm not so sure if I want to continue cursing my children in French?!:ohmy: And it was one of my favourite words so far.

The French connection has a true ring to it, since quite a few of the colloquial words used in the area where I come from ( around Stuttgart) were brought there by Napoleon's soldiers and then adapted.

My dh has a knack to do this to me too. I pick up a new word, like "spunky" and he tells me it originally meant having high sperm count, or lively sperm, or whatever. Now I tell him I'm not really interested in the origin of my vocab, as long as I won't offend people too badly with it.:D

He's a rather proper Brit and I love him very much.

My dh has a knack to do this to me too. I pick up a new word, like "spunky" and he tells me it originally meant having high sperm count, or lively sperm, or whatever. Now I tell him I'm not really interested in the origin of my vocab, as long as I won't offend people too badly with it.:D

He's a rather proper Brit and I love him very much.

My Chambers dictionary has the origin of spunky as 'sponc', meaning tinder, therefore a spark, so 'spunky' means sparky or fiery. I think that it came to be used for someone presumed to be very fertile, but that's not the basic meaning.

Laura

Guest Lorna

I have really fallen in love with the Danish language here. The words are so 'hygge' (a special Danish kind of cosiness). I love 'smuk' meaning beautiful, handsome or charming. A landscape can be 'smuk' or a person. It is such a funny perfect little word.

My favorite word is an insult we invented in the football cesspool I usually post at is : momofektard

In our depravity, we also discovered we could use ass- as a prefix and make an insult out of anything: "Nobody wanted to sit next to the asshat on the bus since he hadn't showered in a week."

Real words that I like are shampoo and pajamas.

The only place I ever see this work is G A Henty book. It just makes me smile. I have no idea why. Usually I am read the books aloud and ds and I both like the word and count how many pages we get into a Henty before it appears.

As a side note Laura I like your British spelling of words. This is also another aspect of reading Henty books that is fun. The "u" must feel like a much more special letter in British literature than American

As a side note Laura I like your British spelling of words. This is also another aspect of reading Henty books that is fun. The "u" must feel like a much more special letter in British literature than American

I'm glad you enjoy it. I used the word 'fulfil', the other day, and had to check that Brits really spell it like that. We are standardising on British spelling for the boys (as they are heading for UK exams) and I have to check UK/US spelling differences for them almost every day.

Laura

Guest Virginia Dawn

I don't have a particular favorite but I LOVE Italian words like millefiore, tagliatelle, liguine, arrivederci. Italian is so mellifluous. ;-)

I like ya'll... I feel so countryfried when I say it:D

When DH (Texan) and I were thinking about courting, it was very useful to be able to understand if he was inviting me out on a date or including my flat-mates in the invitation. That was twenty years ago this year....

Laura

Words are so cool. How's a person to pick a favorite?! That said, I do especially like: gemutlichkeit. I also adore the word aluminum as pronounced the British way.

Dd has two words she coined and used regularly while she was high school age: flarpenheimer and flarp. Hence, "Mom, my pencil just flarped onto the floor again!" "Oh flarpenheimer, where's that stupid lab sheet!"

Dd also loves the words spleen and sock. They just make her crack up. Just this morning as dd was leaving for the tutor center at the college where she works, she opined about her new found joy over the word coagulate.

We all get a kick out of everyday words that when said seem so unusual, like spatula or skillet. We have a lot of good, spleen massaging laughter here over words of all sorts.

There are words I just love the sound of. Several have been mentioned here already: onomatopoeia, tintinnabulation, and intifada. I get a kick out of a lot of the names I hear while listening to NPR news. They're just so much fun to say. Muqtada al-Sadr (yes, I had to look it up to spell it correctly!) is one. There was an (I think) Indian one a while back, but I can't remember what it was--something that sounded like it had fudge in it. Hagia Sophia is another.

For me, the sound of a word is very important in determining how much I like it. The word interstices drives me out of my freakin' mind! I swear it sounds like some particularly nasty symptom or disease. Panties is another word I don't like. It just sounds dirty. (Like that should matter to me.) I don't like the words moist and moisture either, but they make me laugh like Amy said. I think Saturday Night Live is to blame for that.

The ability to put words together in writing in a way that is pleasing to the ear often makes the difference in whether or not I like an author. Even if I'm only reading quietly, I hear the words. One of the reasons I love Steinbeck is because of how his words sound in my head. It's also the reason I do not care for Hemingway--short, choppy, no music. I love poems like Poe's "The Bells" because of the sounds. (Tintinnabulation anyone? And in discussing it, I can use another favorite word: onomatopoeia.) It took me a long time to warm up to free verse.

As for words that I use often, well, I'm afraid they can't all be listed here. Some of my favorite words have to do with elimination and intercourse. The elimination word is used alternately in English and German. I also like "holy crapola" and a few other forms. I use y'all frequently. No music in those words:ohmy: I don't know what else. I'll have to think about it more.