Menu

S/O on Christian Modesty Thread

HRAAB

There's something that's always bothered, although I can't quite explain why, and in reading the thread on modesty, I wondered if it is an issue of modesty. Or maybe I'm just way off.

All the clothes with Jesus on them. Big prints of His face, pictures of a cross, Bible verses, "I'm Saved", and on and on. I actually saw a girl who had 'Jesus' printed on her jeans across her rear. Not only clothes, but coffee cups, glasses, backpacks, bumper stickers, billboards. You name it. Maybe I'm totally off here, but I've started feeling that we (Christians) are trying to market Jesus. Is this a modesty issue? Any thoughts?

Janet

I don't think it's a modesty issue.

I think it's an issue of taste and preference. Personally, I find it lacking in tact and discretion. I can think of many folks who wear "Jesus couture" who would vehemently object to other religions "advertising" and yes -- marketing -- in similar fashion.

Christian liberty? Probably (who is to define what "crosses the line" from a simple cross necklace, WWJD charm bracelet . . . etc). But like thong bikinis on chubby middle-age women? Not particularly edifying.

I can't stand the money-making marketing aspect of "Christian Cheese" as my good friend puts it. I wonder what Jesus would do should he visit the local Christian "book"store and say...where are the books? It's filled with Christian JUNK. I think our actions should speaker louder to our Christianity than our clothing.

I call it Jesus junk. I'm not going to make judgments about people who buy scripture soap or Testa-mints or whatever, but the marketing of such products bothers me.

I think irreverence is a good word...along the lines of taking the Lord's Name in vain.

I don't think every Christian T-shirt falls into that category, but many do....esp if the wearer is not exemplifying Christ to begin with...

I agree, and that applies to road-raging people driving vehicles with Icthus fish on the back too.

Maybe irreverence is the right word. I guess I was feeling that it cheapened what Jesus did, but that is definitely a lack of reverence. If modesty is not calling attention to ourselves, and certainly some of the clothes I've seen calls attention to the wearer, I thought perhaps this was a modesty issue - not sure. Just thinking.

I always wear a Miraculous Medal (I'm Catholic), but it's very small and not really noticeable. Personally I would be very uncomfortable wearing tops with big pictures of Jesus on them. Just doesn't seem right. Yes, I guess irreverence sums it up.

Janet

When I managed a Starbucks in Wheaton, IL (home of Wheaton College), we hired lots of Christian college students. It was pretty much the whole hiring pool there. It was in the heyday of WWJD bracelets, and I always got the feeling (by my baristas saying to customers), "I really like your bracelet" and such, that it was a easy way to kind of convey they were members of the same group. I was pretty sure they didn't really like the bracelet. I mean, they were everywhere.

Related to the clothing/jewelery question is, I think, the question of "Christian food". Again, how one reacts probably is conditioned by the traditions of ones own faith group.

For example, I would think it downright silly to complain about the Western custom of serving "Hot Cross Buns" on Holy Friday, on the grounds that there is a cross of icing on the top.

Orthodox Christians within the Slavic traditions often make lamb-shaped butter molds or chocolate molds for one of the items in their Pascha baskets. The lamb, of course, symbolizes The Lamb of God.

I'm blanking out on which feast day it is when one of our Russian parishioners brings cross-shaped cookies (very plain, barely sweet, never decorated) to church for after the service. (It is not for Pascha, nor during Holy Week.) For myself, I always wrestle with discomfort at eating those cross-shaped cookies. I wonder whether it is my Calvinist childhood, but have no way of knowing for sure.

The stores sell chocolate crosses. Somehow, for me, that crosses the line into irreverence. The children and I talked about it once, trying to analyze just what it is that makes all of us squirm when thinking about candy crosses. One of them speculated that, perhaps, it is because candy is, innately, fun and frivolous food -- whereas the cross is the instrument of our salvation.

Ishki, like all Orthodox Christians, I wear my baptismal cross at all times, under my shirt or dress. Your miraculous medal is worn in the same attitude of reverence, so is not at all similar to t-shirts, 3-inch dangle cross earrings, etc.

Edited by Orthodox6

Related to the clothing/jewelery question is, I think, the question of "Christian food". Again, how one reacts probably is conditioned by the traditions of ones own faith group.

For example, I would think it downright silly to complain about the Western custom of serving "Hot Cross Buns" on Holy Friday, on the grounds that there is a cross of icing on the top.

Orthodox Christians within the Slavic traditions often make lamb-shaped butter molds or chocolate molds for one of the items in their Pascha baskets. The lamb, of course, symbolizes The Lamb of God.

I'm blanking out on which feast day it is when one of our Russian parishioners brings cross-shaped cookies (very plain, barely sweet, never decorated) to church for after the service. (It is not for Pascha, nor during Holy Week.) For myself, I always wrestle with discomfort at eating those cross-shaped cookies. I wonder whether it is my Calvinist childhood, but have no way of knowing for sure.

The stores sell chocolate crosses. Somehow, for me, that crosses the line into irreverence. The children and I talked about it once, trying to analyze just what it is that makes all of us squirm when thinking about candy crosses. One of them speculated that, perhaps, it is because candy is, innately, fun and frivolous food -- whereas the cross is the instrument of our salvation.

This reminds me of how my husband (raised LDS) feels about crosses in general. People wearing them as jewelry, or hanging them as decoration has always really disturbed him. He says it's like wearing a little electric chair around your neck.

I call it Jesus junk. I'm not going to make judgments about people who buy scripture soap or Testa-mints or whatever, but the marketing of such products bothers me.

Yup. It is a depressing experience to walk into a most modern Christian book stores - a tiny section of mostly fluff books, and scads of Jesus junk.

Not to be confrontational, but I have to say that my children (11, 8 & 8) love their Christian t-shirts. It's their own way of feeling "cool" in a culture that often belittles their faith. Would I let them wear it on their bottom? No, but of course I don't let them wear anything with words on their bottom.:001_smile:

I also think it takes an amount of confidence in their faith to wear them to soccer practice, karate, and around town - we live in Boulder County in CO and trust me, it takes ALOT of confidence to do that here.

I am proud that my dc feel confident enough in their own skin to proclaim their faith, and to act like it!

There's something that's always bothered, although I can't quite explain why, and in reading the thread on modesty, I wondered if it is an issue of modesty. Or maybe I'm just way off.

All the clothes with Jesus on them. Big prints of His face, pictures of a cross, Bible verses, "I'm Saved", and on and on. I actually saw a girl who had 'Jesus' printed on her jeans across her rear. Not only clothes, but coffee cups, glasses, backpacks, bumper stickers, billboards. You name it. Maybe I'm totally off here, but I've started feeling that we (Christians) are trying to market Jesus. Is this a modesty issue? Any thoughts?

Janet

I don't know if it's a modesty issue or not, but I am rather tired of the marketing of Jesus. The one that just really irks me more than any other is the shirt/bumper sticker that says "Jesus is my homeboy." ACKKK!!! :huh:

Not to be confrontational, but I have to say that my children (11, 8 & 8) love their Christian t-shirts. It's their own way of feeling "cool" in a culture that often belittles their faith. Would I let them wear it on their bottom? No, but of course I don't let them wear anything with words on their bottom.:001_smile:

I also think it takes an amount of confidence in their faith to wear them to soccer practice, karate, and around town - we live in Boulder County in CO and trust me, it takes ALOT of confidence to do that here.

I am proud that my dc feel confident enough in their own skin to proclaim their faith, and to act like it!

Oh, you're not being confrontational. My post probably was confrontational even thought I didn't mean it to be. :001_smile: You should be proud of your children. It's not just t-shirts that I've noticed; there are so many other items with Jesus' name connected to them somehow. Anyway, I was just wondering how other people felt.

Janet

I don't know if it's a modesty issue or not, but I am rather tired of the marketing of Jesus. The one that just really irks me more than any other is the shirt/bumper sticker that says "Jesus is my homeboy." ACKKK!!! :huh:

There is a car in my neighborhood with a "Shiva is my Om boy" bumper sticker. At least the people with the Jesus clutter are mostly Christian. The Hindu clutter people are almost never Hindu.

Well, I for one, have no problem with most of what you all are talking about. I love most Christian t-shirts, bumper stickers, jewelry, and what-nots. It's true, there are plenty that are in bad taste, but I just ignore those. I do think it is used as a way to identify with the family of Christ. I am often complimented on my checks which have a Bible verse printed on them, or on my cross. I think others are mostly saying, "Me too!" and I LOVE that. I wear a cross and have for many, many years. I love it. It identifies me as a Christ follower. It isn't frivolous. I put it on with reverence. The cross is a symbol of my faith. My cross is empty. That is the point. Christ isn't there, he is risen and I am his disciple. It is because of His willingness to bear the cross, that I am His for all eternity. I wear it as a sign of my gratitude for what He did, and my committment to follow Him. Of course, how I live my life is a much more important sign of those two things and I take that even more seriously. But I do enjoy my cross, my bumper sticker and my t-shirts.

A nearby church (of the Calvinist persuasion, no less!) had "Make Jesus your new BFF" on its sign last week! Yuck.

I will enter a Christian book store again when they sell books (and good ones). Haven't been in one for a long time. And our children don't wear words of any kind--solves that one!

I don't even know what on earth that phrase means ! What is a "homeboy" ? ? ? (If it is something vulgar, leave me ignorant.)

I can't stand the money-making marketing aspect of "Christian Cheese" as my good friend puts it. I wonder what Jesus would do should he visit the local Christian "book"store and say...where are the books? It's filled with Christian JUNK. I think our actions should speaker louder to our Christianity than our clothing.

:iagree: AMEN Preach it Sista!!!

Thanks. I'm a reasonably well-educated sort; however, that article was rife with jargon and unfamiliar cultural tags which shot waaaay over my head ! :confused:

In the absence of any information, I would have assessed the word as something from the Deep South, and I would not have attached a morally-clean meaning !

It means friend, buddy.

I will enter a Christian book store again when they sell books (and good ones). Haven't been in one for a long time. And our children don't wear words of any kind--solves that one!

:iagree: Haven't been in a Christian book store for a long time, probably wont ever be again. I'm sick of all the junk, precious moments, "new testaMINTS" and whatnot.

I see that a lot around here. I never thought anything of it, but that it was simply a way for someone to identify themselves.

And, btw... I DO like all the "junk" in christian bookstores because it makes it easier for me to buy gifts for some family and friends.

It's not my taste, and there are quite a few t-shirts and other marketable items that I do feel cross the line into irreverence or making light of sacred things. I will also admit to being kind of horrified the first time I saw a chocolate cross. I think there's a difference between that sort of thing and a piece of personal jewelry.

I've been a bit judgmental of Christian bookstores filled with all sorts of stuff. I just shook my head and tried to plan ahead enough to order books online rather than have to go into the store when they started opening on Sunday afternoon. But, my heart has changed toward them in this adoption process.

Family Christian Bookstores, through their James Fund (http://www.jamesfund.org/) has provided a matching grant to us of $3000 in partnership with Lifesong for Orphans (http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/) to help with adoption expenses. Before our recent trip to Ukraine, I needed to go in to find a small Bible to take with me and shared with them about our adoption and their partnership with us. One of the sales ladies was moved to tears and right there in the store prayed with me and our kids.

Although I think most of the "stuff" in there is just tacky, I am so grateful for their commitment to care for orphans and for the people who work there who genuinely love Jesus and have ministered to our family during this season of adoption.

I think the emphasis on what people wear christian or otherwise is...i don't know ..a waste os time and is kinda judgemental. You can't really know people's reason for wearing something. Somethings are in poor taste like the sayings on the read end but a t-shirt or a cross....I can't really say that people wearing them aren't showing reverence for Christ. One of the post likened the cross ro wearing an electric chair. I think that since we are followers if Christ our actions should show the world who we are rathe than our clothes..BUT..If putting on a cross in the morning reminds you of the sarcifice of Jesus and of your own cross that you have to bear then by all means put it on. Or if you think your shirt can start a conversation of salvation with someone where your own words can't then by all means put it on. If it helps you in any way proclaim your faith to the world then thats what you do. Although what you do isn't for everyone the same can be said for what they do. I have no knowledge of a testamint but I will say that this christian "junk" that you were talking about may help someone in their faith. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a knick knack or two that reminded me of a verse that I needed at that moment or of God's love or of many things that we as christian sometimes forget. But I don't know..just thought I'd add what I was thinking.

:iagree: Haven't been in a Christian book store for a long time, probably wont ever be again. I'm sick of all the junk, precious moments, "new testaMINTS" and whatnot.

:iagree: Cannot stand wishy washy, feel good, "christian" bookstores with the heaviest theological works being "Your Best Life Now!" and "Left Behind" mumbo jumbo. No offense intended toward anyone, but where the dickens are St Augustine, Calvin, Edwards, St John of Chrysostom, and Summa Theologica? Guess where I have to go to find THEM? Borders! Yep, Borders is a better "Christian" bookstore...or should I say that they actually have a RELIGIOUS section that carries BOOKS. If I want Stone's Torah, I can get it. If I want Summa Theologica, it's there. If I want "God is Red", it's there.

Edited by mommaduck

Like:

Cross necklaces, earrings, and charms

Crucifix necklaces and charms

Clever Christian t-shirts, like the one that says Jesus instead of Reeses and has the same look and color scheme as a Reeses candy bar. Those that make you stop and think are great. I have a black one that says, "A blood donor saved my life" on the front, and a big cross outline with "The blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin" in the back.

Creche gingerbread house molds

Advent calendars

Hot cross buns do not bother me, but they don't actually taste good. I'm just sayin. Also, they are passe on Easter and should only be consumed during Lent and Holy Week.

Message bracelets like the Lance Armstrong ones, only Christian

Cross in my pocket that is in there with loose change.

Dislike:

Cross cookies. Just not comfortable with this.

Hearts and flowers decorating a T-shirt with a very serious Christian message.

Cross ankle bracelets. Just a little 'off'

Abhor:

Chocolate crosses. The cross should not be eaten, and it should not be candy. Good heavens.

The t-shirt that says, "I like HARDCORE" and then in tiny letters "Christian girls."

Christian tatoos

Any Christian writing on pants. Please, think about what you are juxtopositioning!

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Well, I for one, have no problem with most of what you all are talking about. I love most Christian t-shirts, bumper stickers, jewelry, and what-nots. It's true, there are plenty that are in bad taste, but I just ignore those. I do think it is used as a way to identify with the family of Christ. I am often complimented on my checks which have a Bible verse printed on them, or on my cross. I think others are mostly saying, "Me too!" and I LOVE that. I wear a cross and have for many, many years. I love it. It identifies me as a Christ follower. It isn't frivolous. I put it on with reverence. The cross is a symbol of my faith. My cross is empty. That is the point. Christ isn't there, he is risen and I am his disciple. It is because of His willingness to bear the cross, that I am His for all eternity. I wear it as a sign of my gratitude for what He did, and my committment to follow Him. Of course, how I live my life is a much more important sign of those two things and I take that even more seriously. But I do enjoy my cross, my bumper sticker and my t-shirts.

:iagree: You said it so well!

I do not like "hokey" Jesus paraphanalia. But things that are respectful, meaningful, etc....definitely. If the secular world can have t-shirts that say all manner of disgusting things, then I have no problem countering that with t-shirts that express a love for our savior. They are also effective witnessing tools. My husband has several christian t-shirts and people ask him about them all the time. He even lead one man to the Lord through this. So be careful before you toss out the baby with the bathwater!

Wow. I'm feeling kind of stupid right now, because, honestly, I always buy the chocolate crosses for my kids at Easter. It always seems like the most logical choice, as we try to keep Easter about Jesus, not about bunnies. We do small baskets, with bibles/religious reading, a small gift and one piece of candy. A chocolate cross. Ooops.:leaving: I never think about it as irreverent, but I see how others might. I mean, it seems better than eating a giant meaningless bunny or chicken. It is hard enough to maintain the meaning of Easter without having to explain the Easter bunny. Sigh. Now I have to rethink that...

Would a chocolate Judas be in bad taste? Maybe with a gooey cherry filling? ( I AM kidding.):D

There is a car in my neighborhood with a "Shiva is my Om boy" bumper sticker. At least the people with the Jesus clutter are mostly Christian. The Hindu clutter people are almost never Hindu.

My dd (non-Christian) wanted a T-shirt that said, "Jesus is my homeboy" but it had a picture of a mexican mariachi player on it instead of Jesus. Her desire was to confront Christians regarding the in-your-face aspect of the Jesus junk (as someone else so aptly put it). This certainly would have been an in-your-face way to do it but I have no idea if said child would have actually had the, what was the phrase, testicular fortitude to wear the shirt as we did not get it because it was sold out. She is a person of strong opinions but generally speaking she is very meek and non-confrontational so my guess is she would have only wore it around the house.

So much of this is in the eye of the beholder.

I have no qualms with chocolate crosses. Chocolate crufixes would trouble me, but crosses... eh.... As for the rest of the stuff. I don't mind the t-shirts too much, there are some that, imo, send mixed (at best) messages, but most of them just seem like a Christian answer to the secular 'funny' shirts. Mints and things just seem really trivial. Some of the fluffier reading and toys for kids, I like those. I'm trying to get on the right path, but I love to read. I'm starting to crave fiction, adventure, etc. I was looking at the Left Behind series and those sorts of books so I wouldn't feel like I was just filling my head with junk. I'm reading the KF History Encyclopedia, for goodness' sake, I need something to read!

All together, for most of those things they're just different things for different people. Some people like to wear jewelry and look a little 'in' or updated. For them, as the books are for me, it's a way to do something that gives you personal joy and not feel so bad for it (like it's just a waste). That my opinion, of course ;)