Menu

Anyone up for a book recommendation challenge?

I love reading romance novels. Wish I didn't, but there you have it...

I have a hard (almost impossible) time finding romance stories (or stories with romance) that have the qualifications I wish for them to have. Here is my list:

Relatively clean love story, masterfully written (whether modern or classic), complex, subtle, full of rich language and fascinating characters, compelling plot, happy ending. Not too idealistic. No heavy-handed preaching. Not dark, depressing, or tragic. Nothing open-ended. I need closure. :) Is there any such thing?!

An example of books (not necessarily romance) I like or dislike:

Rebecca: too dark/open ended, not enough closure.

Wuthering Heights: detested.

Jane Eyre: I'm giving it a second try. A little dark for me.

Thirteenth Tale: *way* too dark. Couldn't stand the incest, sadism/masochism, mental illness, graphic suicide, etc...

North and South and Pride and Prejudice: perfect.

(Wives and Daughters: would have liked if the author would have actually finished it!! I've watched the movie versions of most of Austen's other novels and enjoyed them.)

Anything by Gene Stratton-Porter: too idealistic and sappy. (Although I happened to looooooove The Harvester, which was both idealistic and sappy...)

Romance novels by George MacDonald: almost perfect...

The Count of Monte Cristo: my all-time favorite book (but not nearly enough romance :D ).

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers: couldn't make it through the first few chapters and haven't tried anything else by her. Don't suggest anything with child abuse.

Anne of Green Gables: perfect, but not quite enough romance. :)

Janette Oke: lacking in writing quality...

Mitford: kinda cheesy.

Any suggestions for books to add to my list, or are my expectations unreasonable?:lol:

Have you read any books by Tracy Chevalier? I like her fairly well. Other than that, I'm not sure. I read tons of non-fiction, sci-fi and fantasy, if you need help with those, I'm your girl. I do like historical novels but most of them aren't romance. For example-the Horatio Hornblower series, Alison Weir's novels.

Have you read Bridget Jones's Diary? It's not heavy literature but I love a good modern remake and I felt she did a really good job. It's hilarious. Not Mitford-clean but not TOO explicit, either.

I do read romance novels but the romance novels I read tend have zero literary value and tend to be on the dirty side. They are my guilty pleasure. ;)

For romance candy, and not-so-subtle writing, I did enjoy the beach novels, The Three Sisters trilogy by Nora Roberts, and had never before liked anything in that vein, or by Roberts. They are elements books, Air, Water, Fire. I can't remember the exact titles.

Belva Plain is another author who surprised me.

Have you read Bridget Jones's Diary? It's not heavy literature but I love a good modern remake and I felt she did a really good job. It's hilarious. Not Mitford-clean but not TOO explicit, either.

:001_huh:

I know I'm the odd one out here, but I started reading Bridget Jones's Diary last week and I just don't see why people like it. It's amusing at first, but just like the movie, the humor gets old fast. And unlike the movie, I don't have Hugh Grant and Colin Firth to distract me.

What am I missing?

Just off the top of my head this fullfills almost all of your criteria: Twilight. Just the first book, not the rest. It's a bit silly but for some reason it is really romantic, at least in my mind it was. It's biggest problem is it isn't written very well. It's a great story though.

Honestly, I second. You are NOT (not, not) going to find it 'masterfully written', but darn was it fun to read. And clean as whistle. (Which I found frustrating :glare:, but fits your criteria).

Love in the Time of Cholera

I liked this one.

Lady Chatterly's Lover
My sister hates this book with the fire of a thousand suns, lol. I didn't hate it but it's not one of my favorites, either.

The Notebook
His books are just not for me. If you're looking for something along this line I liked Sue Monk Kidd better.

Like Water for Chocloate
I love this book.

:001_huh:

I know I'm the odd one out here, but I started reading Bridget Jones's Diary last week and I just don't see why people like it. It's amusing at first, but just like the movie, the humor gets old fast. And unlike the movie, I don't have Hugh Grant and Colin Firth to distract me.

What am I missing?

Personally, I really like adaptations of classic books. That's a large part of the fun I had with the book, making comparisons to Pride and Prejudice. It may not be super-funny throughout but it (and the second book which is based on Persuasion) had enough *really* funny scenes that I loved it (or...them. The second book contains *the funniest scene I have ever read*). If you like the James Bond novels (am I the only girl who has read them?) then Fielding also has a Bondesque novel entitled Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination that I enjoyed.

eta: re: Tracy Chevalier, I haven't read Virgin Blue. I've only read Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn, and Burning Bright.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Hmmm....I love a good romance. Everyone has a different taste. For example, I love P&P, but enjoy contemporary romance more.

I'm a big Nora Roberts fan, but her books do have s*x in them. Plenty of ROMANCE but some of the other stuff too. Honestly, I skip the sex scenes sometimes because I enjoy the rest of the story so much.

*If* you were to try some of hers, find the 'Born In...' trilogy. Born in Fire, Born in Ice, and Born in Shame. Set in Ireland, likable and amusing characters, good romance, and happy endings.

A bit of language and some bedroom scenes, but interesting stories as far as romance goes. They always make we want to live in Ireland.

If you like those, proceed to the Cheasapeke (sp?) series...Sea Swept is the first. Lots of language there, but the story is a heartwarming one.

My all time favorite romance is 'Shanna' by Kathleen Woodiwiss...think Gone with the Wind meets Pirates of the Caribbean. Fun, very fun. I like only a few of her books, so proceed with caution after Shanna. Edited to add...Shanna is quite sensual so it probably doesn't meet your criteria.

Edited by Happy

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Careful with Sparks. Some of his stories are very bitter-sweet and leave you feeling sad. But this one is just sweet.

Oh my, I can't read Sparks at all.

Honestly, even if his stories ended right (imho) I really don't like this heros. Too wimpy for me.

To each his, er, her own.

Dee Henderson is good. The Guardian was my favorite of hers. They are modern romances that surround a mystery of some sort.

Christy (?) by Catherine Marshall

Lori Wick can be pretty sappy at times, but many of hers are good reads. I liked Pretense and White Chocolate Moments the best.

Brock and Bodie Thoene's books are set during WWII and are pretty suspenseful and romantic. I had to stop reading them when I was pregnant, too suspenseful for me at that time!

Karen Kingsbury has 2 that I could not put down. Even Now and Ever After. Normally, I do not read this author. Not sure why, she writes fairly well and her characters are well developed. But, these 2 really grabbed me. I laughed and even cried in these and stayed up too late reading them!

Francine Rivers's books bothered me too and I totally agree about Jeannette Oke

I probably shouldn't even reply since I don't read much fiction, especially romance, but.... have you read anything by Joanna Trollope? Her characters and their situations are very realistic, and I enjoy her writing. She fits in the "I don't usually go for this sort of thing but this author works for me" category in my case. I don't think any of her work is too racy, either.

I was going to suggest George MacDonald!

Actually, if you haven't tried it, all of his books are online, once you get used to reading the broad Scots, it's enjoyable. (It made my head hurt at first.)

Here's a sample:

Gin ony o' ye want to see the corp, noo's yer time."

To this offer no one responded; and, with a slight air of discomfiture,

for he was a busy man, and liked bustle, the carpenter turned on his

heel, and re-ascended the narrow stairs to the upper room, where the

corpse lay, waiting for its final dismission and courted oblivion.

"I reckon they've a' seen him afore," he remarked, as he rejoined his

companion. "Puir fallow! He's unco (uncouthly) worn. There'll no be

muckle o' _him_ to rise again."

"George, man, dinna jeest i' the face o' a corp," returned the other.

"Ye kenna whan yer ain turn may come."

"It's no disrespeck to the deid, Thamas. That ye ken weel eneuch. I was

only pityin' the worn face o' him, leukin up there atween the buirds,

as gin he had gotten what he wanted sae lang, and was thankin' heaven

for that same. I jist dinna like to pit the lid ower him."

"Hoot! hoot! Lat the Lord luik efter his ain. The lid o' the coffin

disna hide frae his een."

While not as good as MacDonald (but he is in a class by himself), I do enjoy Lawana Blackwell, start with her Gresham Chronicles, the first is "The Widow of Larkspur Inn." Don't let the dreary start get to you, it's a great series.

I felt the same about most of the books you listed. So I think we may have similar tastes. PLEASE don't write off Francine Rivers completely-her Mark of the Lion series is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. I can't get it out of my mind. Well written, impeccably researched historical settings, etc. It's a little harsh in some ways since it's set in Roman days (esp. the first book), and there was so much pagan going on with that time period and she doesn't shy away from it. It has a great Christian background, yet is NOT preachy and the people are not perfect.

I also have been loving the A.D. Chronicles by Brock and Bodie Thoene. (I don't like ANY of their other books though.) It's not quite as good as Mark of the Lion, but I like it. Not a ton of romance, but really good.

Angela Elwell Hunt is another author I've just discovered-I just read The Shadow Women and really enjoyed it. Again, not romance, but I think you would like it based on the books you liked.

All the above are Christian authors, but they are not in your face preachy and it's not predictable and benign like unfortunately some Christian writing can be. They also happen to be set in Bible days-I must be into that genre right now!

Edited by HappyGrace

Possession by A.S. Byatt, but nothing else by her. Nothing.

A Vision of Light and the sequel, In Pursuit of the Green Lion, by Judith Merkle Riley. God has a speaking part.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Unexpectedly good.

If you're of a fantasy/SF mind, the Dragonrider Series by Anne McCaffrey. Dragonflight was the first one.

I'm reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayer right now. Not too much romance so far, but very well written.

ETA: If you're up for a looong read, try Kristin Lavransdatter written by Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset.

Edited by OH Kim

I'm a huge historical fiction buff, and one of my favorite books of all time is Katherine by Anya Seton. It is a beautifully written historical romance set in medieval England. I think it fits all your criteria with the added bonus of having well-researched history thrown in. It truly is an intelligent romance novel.

I liked

P.S. I Love You,

There's No Place Like Here,

If You Could See Me Now- all by Cecilia Ahern.

The Rashi's Daughter's Books by Maggie Anton:

Joheved

Miriam

Rachel- New, haven't read yet

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

I also like the Tracy Chevalier books, and Barbara Kingsolver books, although they are not really romance and kind of heavy.

Okay, ladies. I'm feverishly searching Amazon reviews to dig a little deeper into your recommendations. I've added a few to my list. It is amazing to me, again and again, how personal and subjective the reading experience is!! I've had books that I've loved deeply that not everyone 'gets.' I've read highly recommended books that I've hated. Argh!!

I've put FR's Mark of the Lion series on my list. The Katie Fforde books might be perfect for light reading. Katherine by Seton looks intriguing. We are studying that time period and I just might have to give it a try. A Maeve Binchy book was added to my cart. I've added several movies to my Netflix queue. For some reason, I never watched Girl With a Pearl Earring.

I still have several books to research. Some looked a little dark or depressing. I can't do Nicholas Sparks. I have no desire to be weeping at all hours. I will never watch another movie based on one of his novels. Ugh.

I watched Twilight. I'm thinking I'll stick with the movie version. :) I didn't really care for the movie version of Bridget Jones, so I think I'll skip the book.

Off to do more research.... Thanks for the jump start!!

Quo Vadis first published in Poland by Henryk Sienkiewicz in 1896 is everything that the AD Chronicles by the Thoenes and Mark of the Lion series by Rivers aspire to be (although I really do like those series, too). Romantic, epic, sweeping, tragic, amazing. Warning, though, the persecution scenes are brutal and graphic...but necessary to tell the story correctly. BTW, the book won Sienkiewicz the Nobel Prize and is one of the best-selling novels in the history of literature. Try to find an easier to read translation -- the older translation into English can be tough for some to read. I understand there is a newer translation that is very easy to read and has annotations on some of the points of history and Roman culture/terminology.

Speaking of the Thoenes, I liked their WWII (Zion Covenant -- Vienna Prelude, et al) series much better than AD Chronicles. Not a masterwork, but definitely enjoyable. Suspense, romance, history.

I like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Maguire, but it is the only Maguire book I like -- I really didn't like Wicked.

I love the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde -- quirky and funny. Literary and smart. Kind of romantic. A tiny bit of language, but overall pretty clean. Very clever.

Edited by BikeBookBread
more info -- of course!

I like many of the same books that you do.

More Jane Austen. Persuassion is my favorite.

Dorothy Sayers' novels with Peter Whimsey and Harriet Vane. Strong Poison, Have His Carcasse, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. I think Gaudy Night is one of the best books I've ever read.

I've also grown fond of Debbie Macomber and Maeve Binchy. I don't know if they are romances so much as relationship novels. There are definitely good romances in them. But there are also marriages that just don't hold together. They are very real while remaining generally positive.

One more thought--if you like sci-fi, you might enjoy the Firebird series by Kathy Tyers. It is a sci-fi Christian romance, very interesting.

Also, there are more George MacDonald books online at Gutenburg than have been "translated into English," I didn't exactly make that clear in my previous post.

(They actually are in English, just varying degrees of broad Scots.)

Maeve Binchy-Irish- need I say more?Just wonderful not maudlin or too racy.

Love, love, love Maeve Binchy. I love how her books are all intertwined without being sequels or being open ended. Tara Road, Quentins, and Scarlet Feather are the three I remember having the same characters. I also loved her short stories. Light a Penny Candle was fabulous. They are just fun and sweet to read.

ETA: If you like historical fiction the books by Anya Seton are all pretty darn good. There's generally romance but they are very well researched and historically accurate. There isn't blatant s*x in them like in Philippa Gregory books but it's generally the same type of writing.

Edited by TXMomof4

I love romances, I'm not ashamed and I love them dark, hot, and endless (400 pages? Bring. It. On.)

Maeve Binchy-Irish- need I say more?Just wonderful not maudlin or too racy.

Forever Amber- frequently challenged, heck of a story- Katherine Porter

Diane Gabaldon-sex but not raunchy, historical fantasy of the best kind The first of the series is titled Outlander.

I have the series, but I my internal editor screeches at the adverbs and I haven't made it past page 15. If I ever do it will be with a red pen. But, I will, dang nabbit.

On topic.

Have you tried Jennifer Crusie? (she has a PhD in Eng Lit) Welcome To Temptation and Faking It are my favorites. Bet Me is also a great one, and so is Agnes and the Hitman.

They're contemps, funny, smart, and the sex is there, but not in a huge way. YMMV. (I read erotica, too so to me, her sex scenes are on the lite side.) She has big huge casts of characters and her stories center around how women create communities for themselves.

How about Eloisa James for historicals? She is a Shakespearean Prof at Fordham and comes from a line of famous writers. She graduated from Harvard, got her M. Phil from Oxford and her PhD from Yale.

Don't be ashamed to read romance-it's the ultimate in feminist literature.

Grrr-wiped out my edit.

Try Shana Abe's The Smoke Thief, The Dream Thief and The Queen of Dragons. Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady and My Lord and Spymaster are brilliantly crafted.

My favorite doorstop of all time is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. A love story set in WW2 Russia. If you want the happy ending you need to get the sequel, Tatiana and Alexander.

Twilight is subversive. The author is a Mormon so that's why it's 'sweet' but vampires are NOT sweet. They're literature's way of writing subversive sex. Which is why they're such hot sellers.

another add...

Another one you may like--Penelope Williamson who wrote superb historical romance. Heart of the West is fantastic, and my favorite is The Passions of Emma. Clean, but oh so romantic and heart wrenching with a HEA (Happily Ever After). Another lyrical writer. Her older ones are also just as good, and Mortal Sins, a newer one is set in 1920's NOLA. She is just an all around fantastic writer, excellent at her craft. I've had to hunt some of hers down and pay $ for them because they're out of print, but I've had great luck getting them at my local UBS.

Edited by justamouse

Jane Austen is my favorite ( Persuassion, Pride and Prejudice, Emma) but another right up there is a breathtaking, beautiful novel by L.M Montgomery called THE BLUE CASTLE, it has a perfect ending and is one of my all-time favorites (can you tell I love it?;)) but don't forget the kleenex (in a happy way).

Edited by mominbc
spelling error

Twilight is subversive. The author is a Mormon so that's why it's 'sweet' but vampires are NOT sweet. They're literature's way of writing subversive sex. Which is why they're such hot sellers.

Off topic-I once wrote a paper in college explaining that vampires and bodice rippers served the exact same purpose. :D

Off topic-I once wrote a paper in college explaining that vampires and bodice rippers served the exact same purpose. :D

Excellent paper topic!

A friend and I were just chatting about where the old historical alpha male/forced seduction went because there are none in contemporary's anymore (and if you, as an author write a contemp alpha you are FLAYED alive by the PC police). He's in the paranormal, where no one has to be PC! (vamps and weres don't have to be PC!) No wonder the paranormal subgenre is selling so much!

Brrrrp-click-brrrrp-click:

Yes, folks, it is my broken record:

Kristin Lavransdatter

Plot synopsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Lavransdatter

That looks awesome.

Edited by justamouse

Brrrrp-click-brrrrp-click:

Yes, folks, it is my broken record:

Kristin Lavransdatter

Plot synopsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Lavransdatter

It looks awfullly tragic. Not sure I'm up for tragic. The Wiki article said the author was controversial for her 'explicit characterization of s*x'... just wondering if that would be by the standards of her own day only...

When I said I needed something not dark or tragic, with a happy ending... I'm serious!! Dark, sad, tragic.... You all wouldn't believe how depressed and mopy I get. Those stories take it out of me, and I don't have anything left to take. I need uplifting. :tongue_smilie:

After researching 90% of these books, I'm beginning to think I was right. Non-dark/tragic, happy ending, masterfully written clean(ish) romances don't exist. Whaaaa! :sad:

I have similar reading tastes as you. After I re read Gene Stratton Porter and L.M. Montgomery over and over I have a hard time finding new authors! I'll be watching this thread.

I read books by Susan Meissner last year after The Shape of Mercy won a book award. I love her books! I haven't read the mystery novels yet, but her other fiction is excellent.

http://www.susanmeissner.com/books.html

Edited by LNC

I love Judith McNaught's novels - read Paradise first. A friend of mine suggested I read it, but I was really hesitant to try a "romance" thinking they were all pretty trashy. I honestly couldn't put this one down. - Her dialogue is so clever and the character development is amazing - you will not want this book to end!! I read every single one of her books after I finished this one. There is some s*x, but if you'd rather not read those parts, you can easily skip over them. A few sad parts - but nothing tragic and it only makes the ending that much more enjoyable.

I love romance books, they are some of my very favorite books to read when I want light easy readings where there is always a happily ever after and a beautiful engaging love story. :)

I recommend Susan Elizabeth Phillips contemporary novel "Match Me If You Can". Actually, I recommend so many of her novels, but this is my very favorite of hers. It is adorable, perfect and wonderful !! I can't say enough great things about it. There is some sex, but it is very grazed over and nothing in vivid detail. Yes it is a sports setting romance, but there is very little mention of sports, so if you don't like sports, this won't matter a bit.

Two more of my favorite's of Susan Elizabeth Phillips is "Kiss An Angel" and "Dream A Little Dream" both tear jerkers, but beautifully done story and as with all her books, always a promise of a happily ever after.

I also recommend Deborah Smith's "A Place To Call Home" which is a wonderful romance that will make you laugh, cry and fall in love with the characters.

Happy Reading !

More Jane Austen. Persuassion is my favorite.

:iagree:

Some of my favorites that I think are well written, happy ending, and romantic are: Ella Enchanted by: Gail Carson Levine, Beauty by: Robin McKinley, the Goose Girl and Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, A Girl of the Limberlost by: Gene Stratton-Porter. These are mostly children's books, but I feel many books written for children are clean, fun to read, and well written.

I also enjoy reading Jane Eyre every few years (give it another chance, it's worth the effort. Although if books affect your mood this may not be a good choice. It does end happy, but Jane has quite a journey until she gets her happy ending.)

William Goldman's The Princess Bride is fun, although it's more adventure than romance.

:)

Personally I love those Amish romances.:) I know, do amish have romances!:confused: Well they must cause there are lots of little amish kiddos. Anyway, they're not trashy, in fact pretty squeeky clean and there is always the plus that the amish lass owns a bakery or some such shop and they always make you hungry!:D

It looks awfullly tragic. Not sure I'm up for tragic. The Wiki article said the author was controversial for her 'explicit characterization of s*x'... just wondering if that would be by the standards of her own day only...

When I said I needed something not dark or tragic, with a happy ending... I'm serious!! Dark, sad, tragic.... You all wouldn't believe how depressed and mopy I get. Those stories take it out of me, and I don't have anything left to take. I need uplifting. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, that would be by the standards of 1920's. I didn't know that, and I have to chuckle. She bucked her parents on their choice of husband for her. That's the wildest thing I remember. There is a diaper change with sphagnum moss :).

It is a "life story" with an unrequited love story (small) and a requited love story (large). She does grow old and become a widowed nun. I didn't find it dark, but it isn't "uplifting" in the modern sense, I guess. It is very, very absorbing, and I guess that is my "break from life".

Possession by A.S. Byatt, but nothing else by her. Nothing. Why not? I have read all her books and liked them, although, I admit, Possession is my favorite.

A Vision of Light and the sequel, In Pursuit of the Green Lion, by Judith Merkle Riley. God has a speaking part.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Unexpectedly good.

If you're of a fantasy/SF mind, the Dragonrider Series by Anne McCaffrey. Dragonflight was the first one.

I'm reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayer right now. Not too much romance so far, but very well written. This is one of my all time favorite books, but it's not very romance-y except in a very intellectual way--that's OK with me, as the way to my heart is through my head, but YMMV.

ETA: If you're up for a looong read, try Kristin Lavransdatter written by Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset.

Well, this will meet only some of your criteria--I found it depressing, and very dark. Once again, YMMV.

ETA: You might like the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig--they are modern novels set in Jane Austen/Scarlet Pimpernel time, and have a LOT of romance, and not a lot of s3x. The premise is that there're a bunch of female spies running around doing Scarlet pimpernel stuff, with lots of love story mixed in. They aren't masterfully written, but they are fun. She's a Harvard educated...lawyer I think? ANyway, worth a look. :)

Edited by Caitilin

Two of my all-time favorite books:

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken. Okay, it's actually a true story but it reads like a novel. It's about about soulmates (married) who travel around the world in a yacht, come to Christ through their friendship with C.S. Lewis...need I say more? I read it like 5 times in college when I was on the quest for "the one." :001_wub: It does have a tragic element but the spiritual one counterbalances it (hence the title)...think Shadowlands but more romance, beauty, poetry, etc.

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim. I saw the film first and fell in love with it (it's finally on DVD in the USA as of this spring! We had a petition circulating) Eventually I read the book and I liked the extra details. The book and the film are equally good, in the same way that To Kill a Mockingbird is (but of course a totally different genre). The romance (s) is central, though subtle, and it's 100% lovely, which I know you're into. I love lovely too, and it's hard to beat the setting of four women in the 1920s on holiday in a castle on the Italian riviera.

My favorite mythical romance is of Beren and Luthien in Tolkien's Silmarillion, but the book falls more into the best fantasy epic allegory genre than romance.

I'm not really into romances (though I did adore P&P as well as the BBC production; hated the Keira Nightly one), so a book/movie has to have other elements for me to totally be drawn in. I also rarely reread or rewatch anything, and I've done that with both of the above many times (for Enchanted April, just the film, though I expect I'll reread the book also).

I just realized that all of my choices are very British. Funny because I've just been researching British history/literature for our study of the Middle Ages :)