Menu

Is it feasible for my neighbor to homeschool?

Encouraging you to look into charter schools in your actual city. Not all charter schools are online. Our charter school lets us completely homeschool at home but meet with a facilitator once a monthe to make sure we are getting our work done. all of the curriculum was free except religious materials that I chose to purchase myself. Has she considered doing an interdistrict transfer to a different school? Or even an independent study option through the school they are in now? Just my ideas. Ruby

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I am amazed at how many of you hsers, feel that a diploma/GED is necessary to teach your children! These are not the only signs of being educated. I was hsed (so no diploma), and I just never bothered to take the GED. However, I feel that I am more than capable to teach my kiddos. Education is WAY more than these two pieces of paper! I am surprised that I even have to say this :001_huh:.

As long as your friend, has normal brain function, and a desire to do what's best for her children; she should have no problem hsing. The fact that she doesn't have a computer will probably save her more money than anything else :D.

I recommend getting the GED just to cover her rear or in case she ever moves out of IL. IL has NO requirements and she can start teaching her own children right away through any means she can get hold of. However, we also know that laws change. Therefore, it's not a matter of ability, but rather a matter of CYA.

Moms are always the best teacher for their children! If she loves her kids and wants to homeschool them, she will find a way and meet their needs. I have learned so much educating myself. I dropped out of school and got married/had baby. I have my GED now, but that doesn't make me smarter.

I am sure they get a tax check at the end of the year. That is when she would buy the curriculum she needs for the year. That is what I do.

She needs a friend that will lovingly help her start on this new adventure. How about going to the library together and finding some great and encouraging homeschool books.

BTW, my son is starting 10th grade and does very well. He is doing Chemistry this year and Geometry. I never took Geometry. That is why I love Teaching Textbooks and being a part of a great homeschool group!

I agree. A GED in and of itself is meaningless, if not required by law.

I would encourage her to choose a simple textbook curriculum that she can work through with her children - Alpha Omega Lifepacs, Abeka, Ace. Rod and Staff is very inexpensive.

She could always get books from the library for science and history.

If there's a free public school at home option in her state, she could try that as well.

My aunt made it through high school by the skin of her teeth, and she has already graduated 6 of her 12 children. They're all doing very well.

I would encourage her to go for it!

Wow, I am amazed at how many of you hsers, feel that a diploma/GED is necessary to teach your children! These are not the only signs of being educated. I was hsed (so no diploma), and I just never bothered to take the GED. However, I feel that I am more than capable to teach my kiddos. Education is WAY more than these two pieces of paper! I am surprised that I even have to say this :001_huh:.

As long as your friend, has normal brain function, and a desire to do what's best for her children; she should have no problem hsing. The fact that she doesn't have a computer will probably save her more money than anything else :D.

:iagree:

If she were well educated but poor, she could become a library and freebie maven and make it work.

The OP didn't say she was poorly educated, just that she dropped out and doesn't have a GED. If she loves to read, if she has a knack for math, if she keeps up with her kids' school work, if she's willing to work hard at stuff she doesn't get right away, if she picks up Popular Science instead of People in the waiting room at the community health clinic, in short, if she likes to learn, she'll be fine.

Dropped out does not equate to stupid or poorly educated. A lot of teens who can't homeschool drop out from boredom because they're smart. They realize they're not learning anything and figure they'd might as well get on with their lives, not understanding only from lack of experience how important that qualification will be later.

Please let me clarify that I do not think my neighbor is poorly educated. She just has not received a GED or equivalent. From conversations we have had over the last few weeks, I am learning that she is quite educated about a great number of things that I am not educated about and I have a high school diploma and some college under my belt. Honestly, if *I* had to take a GED test I would probably be stressing since it has been YEARS since I have had to use many skills/concepts. :)

There is much to be said for life experience and educating yourself on topics that are of interest/need to study. She has a dog and has studied very in-depth about the matters of dog-care. She was such a help to me yesterday when my boys and the dog got stung repeatedly by bees in our backyard. A high school diploma, a GED or a college degree would most likely not have prepared her to help me the way she did yesterday. Real life experiences have prepared her and many times that is more beneficial than book learning!

Again, I so appreciate all the help on this matter. Your opinions and suggestions are giving me so much to think about, research and pass along to my neighbor.

I haven't read all the posts, so this may have been covered.

If it is legal in your state, then this decision is up to her and her family.

If giving her information makes you uncomfortable, explain to her how much you spend on homeschooling. Let her know that you are sure that there are people who homeschool for less, but that you really wouldn't know how to guide her in doing so.

HTH-

Mandy

I know people who had problems homeschooling because of being insufficiently prepared, especially in math.

I got the impression from the original post not that the neighbor is uneducated but is not confident in her own educational background. Why shouldn't she be an example of taking her own education seriously and boosting her own skills, for her own benefit as well as for her children's sake?

I don't say this to be harsh but to offer assistance.

Okay, sorry to go off.

Just to clarify why I suggested K12 (I'm assuming that you weren't specifically reacting to my post in your comments)--I actually wasn't even considering her education level as much as being new to homeschooling, having no money to spend on it, and it being mid August already and needing to plan something quickly. K12 seemed to fit the bill on that.

Just to clarify why I suggested K12 (I'm assuming that you weren't specifically reacting to my post in your comments)--I actually wasn't even considering her education level as much as being new to homeschooling, having no money to spend on it, and it being mid August already and needing to plan something quickly. K12 seemed to fit the bill on that.

K12 would be a great solution for my neighbor IF it was offered online for those living in my area. I called the Chicago K12 organization today (the only K12 online education offered in my state) and they said they do not take anyone outside Chicago city limits.

Bummer, huh?

and it being mid August already and needing to plan something quickly.

Why the rush? Most families who remove their kids from the public system find that the kids ~ and, in fact, the whole family ~ need time to adjust, time to "de-school", some call it.:)

I would NOT shove a heavily structured program down the throats of these kids on September 1st just because the ps kids go back.

I am homeschooling my children. I never finished high school. I left school after completing year 10. I find that I learn along with my children. I really haven't had a problem with my lack of education at all. in fact I tend to do more "school with my children " than the homeschoolers in my area that have gone to university.

Garga, I think it's great to research options. Thanks for sharing the link for the OP.

However, may I ask why you really believe this is the only good option for this family? I outlined, in another post, my disagreement with the premise; but you have 3 fairly pushy posts so I figure you also have some reasoning. Care to share?

I haven't read the previous responses, but has she looked into the One Laptop per Child program? They supply free laptop computers to children. Maybe that would help them, even if they don't end up HSing.

I would encourage her to get her GED before being a teacher.

Don't give up so soon on the free online school. I didn't really research this, but it looks like another option. Really--ask the school about online school.

You seem averse to googling things--give it a try...

Actually, I did Google and research Connections Academy earlier this morning and the free version (which is the only version my neighbor could consider due to cost) is not available in our state. They do offer online education in all 50 states, but ours is not a free state. I did call the school district and googled charter schools in our area, but none offer free online education. The charter school in my area would still require the kids to come to school every day and they are full for the next year already. You can check availability for Connections Academy HERE if anyone is interested.

I'm sorry if I have given the impression that I am averse to googling ... honestly, I am not. It's the first thing I usually do when I am curious about anything! :)

Again, thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Edited by seewah

Pamela:

I think I came across wrong: I don't necessarily think it's the best option, per se. It's just that if they have no money, no computer to research other curriculae (and how can you research it w/o a computer?), and are running out of time to get started on the next school year, the free online schooling could be the easiest thing to getting the mom up and running. And if the school pays for the internet for the kids and mom, she could use that to research other options. It was meant as an immediate stop gap. The mom could decide to keep going or not.

But, she could also just go to the library and read a bunch of books to the kids for their education for now, and also research online at the library for the next couple of months, too. The OP asked questions about the online school, so it just kept popping into my mind.

And to the OP: About the googling. It just seemed that you were asking some questions that could only be answered by looking the stuff up online, so I was wondering why you didn't just look it up online---but I stand corrected: you did look it up!

Garga, I think the idea of an online school was a wonderful one ... and oh how I wish it was an option for my neighbor (and others in our state). I think it would take a lot of stress off her (at least for the first year of school). Again, thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Edited by seewah

I would recommend a public charter cyber school even though it is not traditional homeschoolingl if it was available to her. I use one for my ds that uses K12 curriculum. The advantage of a cyber school is that the curriculum spells it all out for the parent in regards to how to teach the lesson plus they have teachers to fall back on as well. Plus they supply all of the books, supplies, computer, etc.

Just my 2 cents:)

If her children have really suffered in their schooling so far, I personally think, unless she herself is abusive, she would do them better at home even if their schooling is less than what we around here consider stellar. The emotional damage and baggage from a truly poor schooling situation can hinder a life more in the long run than being a bit behind in math.

I agree completely. 100%.

I already mentioned this a bit earlier, but I would NOT be trying to shove this family into some sort of cyber/charter/whatever structured school format - there is no rush. Her kids - and her whole family - are going to need time to adjust to the changes in the lifestyle, if they choose to do this. They're going to need to 'learn how to learn' outside of the little box that we call "public school". The kids are what, 7 & 10? These aren't highschoolers in their last year, scrambling for advanced courses to head off to college. ;)

I would suggest to her, if she's serious about this, to learn what the laws are - filing notice, etc (someone said her state doesn't have a lot of regs?), take care of that, and then --- spend time with the kids. Do things together as a family - the sorts of things that often get set to the back burner when kids are run ragged all week. Visit the library, let them explore some of their own interests.. take some nature walks together, grabbing photos or doing drawings of what they see... play some board games... watch some fun educational videos (Discoverykids channel if they have cable, rent from library if they don't)... pursue some of their favourite hobbies together... stuff like that. Get to know them again - it's so easy to lose the sense of who your kids actually *are* when they're gone for so many hours every week.

Help her connect with other hs'ing families - talk to her about the different "styles" of homeschooling (not just the classical method - it's a great method, but it isn't the perfect fit for *every* family), give the family time to sort out what style seems to fit THEM best... then, curriculum specifics can be dealt with. There are many options for free or reduced cost curriculum -- in fact, if there is a halfways decent library in her town, the only thing that she *may* need to 'buy' is a structured math program. Remember, the kids are 7 & 10... not 16 & 17. We're not talking high school advanced chemistry courses here. ;)

The one snag that I can see is the public assistance issue. Someone mentioned it earlier - depending on what sort of 'assistance' they receive, it might be a rule that she is "ready & available to work" or such... but this can be worked around, people have dealt with it before. (Including us when we began hs'ing - we were on partial assistance because even though dh's job was fulltime, we still came in under their ceiling) ... If they get wind of what she's doing and start to fuss, she always has the option of working PT evenings or something. (Or, depending on the level of assistance - can they live without it?) ...Or she could do childcare *while* she's hs'ing, many people do this. If she can take in a couple of kids in the 4/5 year age group, they'd be able to join in most of activities anyway... or before/after school care for ps kids... there are options.

If there is curriculum that she really needs and can not afford, there are ways to do this. Book Samaritan is one option (if they still exist?), borrowing/sharing with other hs'ers, raising funds (yard sale?), etc.. but truly, the library can be a complete resource if you put the work into it. (even if the library is small, almost all of them nowadays are able to get media from other libraries within the same system)

She can still work on her GED, if she chooses to go through with that - if she needs some help, perhaps there is someone in the neighbourhood who would be willing to tutor her? Swap something for tutoring, perhaps - a little housecleaning, childcare, garden work, etc, in exchange for X hours of tutoring or whatever....

If she truly wants this and feels it's best for her kids, then it can be done. What's that expression about 'where there's a will, there's a way' ? :)

just my couple of pennies worth. :)

Edited by fivetails

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread ...

As we were leaving for our homeschool co-op one morning this week, my neighbor was walking home from dropping her kids off at school. She saw one of my kids outside and asked where we were off to. He told her that we were going to our homeschool co-op. She proceeded to tell him that she had recently videotaped bullying of her two children going on during school hours on school grounds and she was considering homeschooling again.

I feel this inner struggle. I want to help her and talk to her about homeschooling ... but if you read my initial post, you will see that she has some challenges.

I'd love to hear some more people weigh in. This has been going on for several years and I think she is getting to the end of her rope.

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom! :)

Why not? Who is to say the diploma some of us have is worth the paper it is printed on? And just because you have one does not mean you can homeschool your children. A diploma, GED, or even a college degree is only needed if the state requires one. If she is motivated and willing to learn she can do it. If she has a way to get to the library then she can do this for very little money.

Here in CO, we have a public school virtual academy. It is a public or charter school, and everything is provided by the school, but it is done at home. Is there anything like that where you live?

Unfortunately, that is only available to students w/in city limits of Chicago. I called and asked about this a couple of years ago. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I'm not sure if she can homeschool, but that decision won't be based on her level of education as it is now. Does she have at least a 5th grade education? If so, then she can stay ahead of her children. Will it be like her kids having a prestigious private education? Perhaps not, but it doesn't look like her kids are doing well IN school. Is she willing to read?? Then she can get there!! She needs to decide if she wants to celebrate learning.

Education is a journey!! I believe that almost anyone who wants to teach their children, can.

I think it takes more determination than prior learning. :)

I've read the original posts, and was sad to hear that she had put her kids back in school. They will be better off at home than in an environment where they are being bullied. I have a college degree, and am STILL learning while I teach my young children. We also have a limited income- actually, right now we have *no* income & my husband has been out of work for 2 1/2 years. We use the library, go to used curriculum sales, find stuff online- actually there is a website that gives away used curriculum if you pay shipping.

If it's on your heart to help her, then help her do the research with the idea of pulling her kids out of school. Look at HSLDA, or if you are a member, call and ask them what resources are available for her. Kids can't learn well in an environment like her kids are in. There are more important things than academics, though I think she can teach them all they need to know at home.

HSLDA has done studies on how well homeschooled kids do in comparison to public schooled kids, and also on how well the kids do considering the education level of their parents. Homeschooled kids did about the same, across the board- regardless of education level of parents, ethnic background, and a whole host of other variables, whereas public schooled kids did very poorly if their parents didn't have a high school diploma.

I'd have her pull them out now even, and THEN do the research.

As we were leaving for our homeschool co-op one morning this week, my neighbor was walking home from dropping her kids off at school. She saw one of my kids outside and asked where we were off to. He told her that we were going to our homeschool co-op. She proceeded to tell him that she had recently videotaped bullying of her two children going on during school hours on school grounds and she was considering homeschooling again.

I feel this inner struggle. I want to help her and talk to her about homeschooling ... but if you read my initial post, you will see that she has some challenges.

I'd love to hear some more people weigh in. This has been going on for several years and I think she is getting to the end of her rope.

If she doesn't do anything past just complaining about ps and wishing she could homeschool, then it won't go anywhere. Suggest that she check out everything your library has on homeschooling. If she has internet, or your library has free internet access for patrons, then suggest she come to this forum and ask basic questions. Homeschooling can definitely be done on a shoestring (in fact there is a book called "Homeschooling on a Shoestring" by Melissa Morgan). But homeschooling takes time and energy. If she's not willing to put in the time and energy now in researching it, she would certainly be setting herself (and her kids) up for failure. If she's willing to put in even a little bit of time and energy there are resources out there to make it happen for her.

If she doesn't do anything past just complaining about ps and wishing she could homeschool, then it won't go anywhere. Suggest that she check out everything your library has on homeschooling. If she has internet, or your library has free internet access for patrons, then suggest she come to this forum and ask basic questions. Homeschooling can definitely be done on a shoestring (in fact there is a book called "Homeschooling on a Shoestring" by Melissa Morgan). But homeschooling takes time and energy. If she's not willing to put in the time and energy now in researching it, she would certainly be setting herself (and her kids) up for failure. If she's willing to put in even a little bit of time and energy there are resources out there to make it happen for her.

:iagree:

About the internet- you mentioned she doesn't have a computer. She probably needs to take a trip to the library to do her research. Maybe you could teach her how to use one, or she could get help from the librarian. There are also many places that have older computers that would work perfectly fine for what she needs- there may be people willing to give one away. Ask around in your current homeschool group if there is someone willing to help her through this. Someone might be looking for someone to help.

This is a good idea. She told me today the only part of her GED that she did not pass was the math portion. Can you just re-take one portion of the GED or do you need to take all of it again? Is it costly to get your GED?

No, it's not costly. The classes and the test are generally free. I would encourage that she at least get her GED first. I also agree with looking into a private school. They do have assistance even for those on public aid. My son's private school is a mix of kids from middle-class suburbia and lower-class, on assistance, inner city kids. One kid that is graduating this year, his mother could no longer afford the non-Catholic fee (parish fee) and the school lowered the fee and he worked at McD's...they made it so that it would work for him...the school did not want him to not be able to attend. He just got accepted to an awesome university (I was driving him home when he got the call...so proud of this kid!)

The state we live in has NO teacher qualifications.

If your state has no teacher qualifications, I don't see why not.

I personally would have a hard time homeschooling without a computer, but that's just me. I get so much information off the net. I also make a lot of our own worksheets and get worksheets online. I also research curriculum online. And of course I visit homeschooling forums for advice and support. I'm sure it can be done though.

So many materials can be obtained inexpensively, especially when you make good use of the library. If it's really important to her and she takes the job seriously, I don't see why she couldn't homeschool her children.

She's fortunate to have you for a neighbor.

Guest Jan Shoop

Sounds like your friend has her hands full and you sound like you have a successful homeschooling program going. She might try to find a charter school near by that has small classrooms, excellent teachers and a great curriculum/program. Charter schools are free, so she wouldn't incur the cost of a private school. And since she doesn't have a GED it might be a better choice for her.

I would agree that anything is better than being bullied. I speak from experience that the effects can be life-altering and long-lasting. My poor little brother would have been better off un-educated than emotionally damaged. He did eventually drop out and got his GED later. Turns out he was incredibly smart but couldn't handle being treated badly anymore. Of course she would have to be very dedicated to wanting to homeschool though :) I say encourage her!

Taking notes on this thread, ladies! Thank you all for your great ideas ... keep them coming! :)

I do feel very drawn to helping her in some way. Even if it is only having coffee with her and laying it all out there so she can see her options ... then that is where I need to start.

Ultimately it will be up to her as to how far she will take this ... but if she doesn't know what her options are, she might feel very overwhelmed and alone.

I am not going to jump to any conclusions as to if she would/would not have the drive for homeschooling. I do not know her that well and even if I did, it is not up to me. Maybe once she sees/hears her options she will feel encouraged and that will bolster her enough to move her to action.

Time will tell!

Does she still not have a computer?

Are you willing to help out with some of the initial planning?

I just starting HSing a couple months ago and went with a curriculum that had everything planned out because it was so daunting to me. I am already feeling confident enough to plan my own curriculum for next year, but that first step into homeschooling was like stepping in to ... nothing.

If she is going to do it on a super duper budget, then she will need to do that much more planning, and her having NO frame of reference... I can see how it would be very intimidating.

I have not read all the responses but if I were in your shoes, I would recommend afterschooling to your neighbor. This would free her to pursue her own education and/or employment during the day but allow her to experiment with teaching her children in one or two areas after hours and get a feel for homeschooling.

Sheesh- I never seem to notice when I'm posting to an ancient thread until I hit send :P

Does she have easy transportation to the public library? I know she doesn't have a computer but does she have any computer skills? Does your library system have an online catalog? You could offer to help her in a practical sense by inviting her over for tea/coffee and answering some questions. Or you could offer to take her to the library and show her the homeschooling section or help her put holds on things she might find helpful. Or you could invite her over and let her use your computer for a half hour to look up books or to ask a question here. Hopefully, if this is something she really wants, she would take you up on some of this. (Make sure you don't offer to do more than you can do though.)

I honestly don't think she needs to be super "educated" to homeschool. All she needs is some long-term commitment and a library card.

It can be so simple. The backbone of K-12 education is the 3R's. She could focus just on those and be fine for a looong time. I don't know how she'd feel about Christian curriculum, but CLE is top-notch for math and LA, easy to use, and inexpensive to boot. She could get started with just a couple workbooks for a few dollars. A math and LA workbook and a few trips to the library and she would be set. That would be a great start.

It doesn't sound like she could do a whole lot worse than her kids' current situation. :001_smile:

Another great resource: Home Learning Year By Year

Edited by birchbark

Homeschooling with no computer is possible. Homeschooling with out a GED is possible. Homeschooling with no money is possible. The difficult part is putting them all together.

If she really wants to home school, she will probably succeed. It would probably work best with a very straight forward either curriculum in a box or very scripted program. If she is going to try I would have her focus on just the 3 R's for the first year.

I'm not sure where in IL you are but most suburbs have excellent library systems. I can go to the library and request any book within our system and they'll send it to my home library.

I'd start there. I'd take her to the library and introduce her to some librarians. They'll explain how the library system works if she doesn't know already. I know my library even has a group of homeschoolers that meet weekly. She could get a lot of curriculum type things there.

Make sure she knows what subjects she'll have to teach her kids. IL doesn't hold ones hand at all with requirements, even though we do have them. The state leaves it to us, which can be hard for someone that might now know exactly what to teach.

I think by doing those basic things with her you'll get a good idea if she's really serious about homeschooling.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but what about a virtual academy? I believe IL has one: http://www.k12.com/ilva/virtual-academy-overview/

IF it works like the one in my state, it is public school at home with the parent supervising the work. They would receive a computer and she would have a teacher assigned to her children. I don't have personal experience with a virtual academy, but with a lack of education and resources that type of program where they provide the computer, curriculum, and oversight might be a very positive thing.

And she could use that computer for herself too, to use KhanAcademy.org to brush up on math and pass the GED test. I bet that would give her a huge confidence boost as well.

ETA, I see I am not the first one to suggest online school. I agree with the others that almost anything is better than being bullied. But if my kids were getting bullied and I couldn't stop it at the school level, I'd pull them out and figure the plan out later, even if that meant just going to the library to do research while the kids read books every day. I wouldn't spend over a year complaining about it. It's hard to know whether this is just this mom complaining and she doesn't intend to do anything serious, or is she just needing some confidence and information to get started? Does she want you to help her get started, or does she want you to just add her kids to your homeschool?

Edited by RanchGirl

We have just gotten to know a neighbor who lives a street over from us. They have two kids (girl, 10, boy, almost 7) who attend the public school that is literally right next to our backyard. From what the mom has shared with me, the kids have had an AWFUL experience at the public school. She would love to possibly consider homeschooling, however she never graduated and does not have her GED and they also do not have very much money (on public aid at this point). I want to help her so badly, but I'm just not sure how to guide her. There are definitely ways to cut costs in homeschooling: buying used curriculum, using the library, etc. They have no computer (not that you NEED a computer to homeschool, just adding some more information to the mix).

She was over this afternoon with her kids and mentioned several times how her kids LOVE hanging out with my boys. She also asked me several times when we can get together to chat about homeschooling.

My heart just breaks to hear the stories of what have happened to her kids. I have no idea where her kids are at academically other than she has told me her 10 year old is weak in math.

I try to pinch pennies when it comes to purchasing homeschooling material, however, we do spend $500-1000 year on school stuff/classes for the boys. A cost like that would not even be possible for her family. I know there are families who school on much less than what we spend, but I'm just not sure how to guide her to do it on a shoestring (or less!) budget.

Any advice/help you can offer to me that I can in turn offer to her would be so appreciated!

Now I'm curious. Do YOU homeschool ? You seem to have such an incredibly narrow view of the whole concept of homeschooling. :001_huh:

Now I'm curious. Do YOU homeschool ? You seem to have such an incredibly narrow view of the whole concept of homeschooling. :001_huh:

Ouch!

Yes, we have homeschooled the whole time. Going on year 8 now. Honestly don't know why you would say such a thing. I was only looking for some more wisdom on this situation. Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread.

Edited by seewah

You can tell she has a narrow view of homeschooling based on what exactly? How much she spends? How could you possibly know anything about her view of homeschooling based on the small amount of information she's given?

You can tell she has a narrow view of homeschooling based on what exactly? How much she spends? How could you possibly know anything about her view of homeschooling based on the small amount of information she's given?

Thanks for your post, Jean.

Honestly, I'd really just love to help my neighbor if I can. But I have always homeschooled a certain way using certain materials and I know many of those ways won't be feasible for her. That is where I was looking for some advice.

And my costs have gone up considerably now that I have three I homeschool ... plus co-op classes. I would venture to say we spend at least $2500/year now on curriculum/classes. Not sure if that makes me more narrow or less narrow! :)

Thanks!