Menu

I think the only reason NOT to return a shopping cart to a corral is...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not really -- it's not rude to completely dismiss the opinion of someone else who is intent on criticizing you. ;)

The point is she does not return her cart because she does not give a d#$n about anyone else.

Melissa,

I hope your tooth feels better.

I guess separating the act from the person is the challenge of being human? Isn't it just what you do? Like when your family does something inconsiderate & you love them anyway?

:grouphug:

You are very kind, thank you :grouphug: I can keep the pain at bay, I'm just hoping that I don't get an infection in it while I wait the two weeks for my root canal appointment :( Anyone up for a friendly discussion about the state of dental health insurance??? :D

no --you misread the post: what she doesn't give a d@&^ about is that other people have decided it's rude, period. ;)

Point taken.

Nevertheless I stand by the argument that it is highly inconsiderate, lazy and selfish to leave carts strewn around the parking lot.

The corrals are there for a reason. Just as I pick up after myself in Burger King I put my cart back. People's cars ARE damaged by carts being blown around the place. Insurance premiums go up and basic courtesies go down.

Excuses not withstanding it is is rude not to return a cart. If nukeswife doesn't care that is fine, but is a lack of consideration for the beliefs of others when you are in the wrong not a symptom of the decline in manners. I care not a whit for the opinions of others when I am in the right, but when I am not I do care.

:lol: OK, now this thread has taken a turn toward the bizarrely humorous. I'm so glad that manners and ultimate politeness are so important to so many.

A few chapters back, someone mentioned they were on a board that had a big exodus over returning shopping carts. I laughed at that :lol: until I read the rest of this thread :001_huh:.

Saying "Bless you!" when someone sneezes is a superstition from the belief that a demon has tried to possess the person sneezing. I do not say it, but I do care about others. I also do not throw salt over my shoulder or knock on wood.

Oh Carmen, I almost forgot to respond to this. Yes, I knew about that aspect of it, but these are not those people. They were raised to say "salud" when someone sneezes. (They also told me I couldn't eat Tabasco sauce or raise my arms above my head when pregnant, and would probably throw salt over their shoulders too.) I doubt that most people these days even know the origin of "bless you" or "salud." I think most don't say "bless you" anymore for the same reason they don't say "thank you" or "you're welcome" anymore in your average, everyday conversation. Oh well, what can you do except teach your kids differently, which I try to be diligent about *shrug*

I hope you're not feeling too poorly today :grouphug:

A few chapters back, someone mentioned they were on a board that had a big exodus over returning shopping carts. I laughed at that :lol: until I read the rest of this thread :001_huh:.

Heh, I know. I don't think there's an exodus in store for us today, though. Speaking just for myself, if I were to leave, it would be for much bigger reasons than a difference of opinion over the art and science of manners.

I bet if we tried hard, we could come up with something that divisive though! Or maybe not even that hard... :D

I hope you're not feeling too poorly today :grouphug:
Thanks Melissa. I think that kazointite (spelled phonetically, of course) is German for "Good Health!", so I am trying to decide if that would be acceptable.

I am getting very disappointed that my Dr.s appt was over a week ago and I still have no treatment!!! :glare: It is a good thing that Jake and I didn't have the kidney infections that I took us in for.

You want to know what really drives me nuts? When someone WALKS THEIR CART HOME and then leaves it in the bushes near my house :confused:
LOL! If I had an Aldi's by my house I might be tempted to think that I had bought myself a personal shopping cart for that quarter.:lol: From store to van to kitchen! Talk about convenience!

Heh, I know. I don't think there's an exodus in store for us today, though. Speaking just for myself, if I were to leave, it would be for much bigger reasons than a difference of opinion over the art and science of manners.

I bet if we tried hard, we could come up with something that divisive though! Or maybe not even that hard... :D

If politics hasn't done it by now, I don't know if anything ever will.:001_smile:

Excuses not withstanding it is is rude not to return a cart. If nukeswife doesn't care that is fine, but is a lack of consideration for the beliefs of others when you are in the wrong not a symptom of the decline in manners. I care not a whit for the opinions of others when I am in the right, but when I am not I do care.

and that's just it:

directly above you offered no consideration for the beliefs of others. You made it clear that you are not interested in hearing anyone else's opinion on the matter --you have decided you are right and they are wrong based on your own opinion of manners.

Others believe we are right in deciding how and when to handle the cart issue, and that a legalistic, no-exceptions-at-all policy is WRONG. So if we decide we're right, then your statement [and nuke's] kicks in:

I care not a whit for the opinions of others when I am in the right.

Nevertheless I stand by the argument that it is highly inconsiderate, lazy and selfish to leave carts strewn around the parking lot.

The corrals are there for a reason. Just as I pick up after myself in Burger King I put my cart back. People's cars ARE damaged by carts being blown around the place. Insurance premiums go up and basic courtesies go down.

apparently many stores don't agree that the issue is that problematic.

the stores that do consider it a big issue either make it a point to get THEIR carts out of the parking lot, period, or offer the coin system.

I'm not seeing many big commercials about the horrible effect of shopping cart damage on insurance premiums --most people realize the higher premiums are coming from things that are far, FAR more direct and damaging than shopping cart damage.

and sure -- yeah-- pick up after yourself in BK. But if someone else has had to blow outta there and leave their trash on a table for whatever reason, I'm not gonna jump the gun and condemn them as highly inconsiderate, lazy and selfish, I'll just find another spot, clean the table myself [surely i'm capable], or wait till they've had a chance to bus the tables.

again --back to Susan's point about living in a community. ;)

Just a note...this is all typed in a rather lighthearted tone, so please read it as such:tongue_smilie:

It is amusing that some of the same people concerned over the decline of manners and such are some of the same people who are convinced that shopping carts should be returned always (short of impending death) or else you are rude, lazy, inconsiderate, etc. Should we add scum of the earth to the list? Just kidding.

Personally, I think a bigger issue in our society might just be the concept of judgements, lack of compassion, and a superiority complex.

Of course, I will admit that the shopping cart plague must not of struck this far down in VA. yet. It has never struck me as a huge problem where I shop. And, I do have family who work at a grocery store. I have seen that even the unreturned carts are left in such a way as to not block other places. I can say that I have never left a store parking lot in a rage over shopping cart placement.

I do however, stand by my way previous post that there are a lot of factors that lead someone to leave or return a cart. You just shouldn't make huge sweeping judgements, at least, I don't think you should. Wait, was that a judgement?:001_smile:

Ahh, but Peek.

Those who leave carts have spent 17 pages giving reasons why they are entitled to abandon carts in parking lots. 17 pages trying to justify themselves. 17 pages of ifs ands or buts but sometimes no matter what one does the truth can not be hidden. Of course there is the emergency, the unavoidable but even when that happens one should accept that the behavior is incorrect.

As to some of the more defensive posters.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - Shakespeare

As to the guy in BK, I do loudly and publicly make a statement when people leave their trash on a table. You would be surprised how often they meekly say sorry and return to clean up the table. Why...because they are wrong and know it.

Good Night, it is late here.

Edited by pqr

...one should accept that the behavior is incorrect.

According to YOU. I don't believe it is incorrect, and the many posts in this thread to the contrary have not convinced ME, just as ours have not convinced YOU. When you can find me a law or inarguable moral code that says it is unacceptable to leave carts in the parking lot for ANY reason, including perceived safety reasons, I'll consider your points. Until then, it's your word against mine. I know it's hard to accept *shrug*

Very well said! :iagree:

FWIW, I go out of my way not to inconvenience others and am not lacking in the small kindnesses department. I wasn't aware until this discussion that having a 100% return rate for shopping carts was weighted so heavily in determining who is kind and considerate and making the world a better place and who is rude and irresponsible.

The Theology of Shopping Carts made me laugh--such a peaceful, thoughtful essay, ending with this:

"Ma'at is putting away the g*dd*mn shopping carts." :lol:

And in general, I completely agree with the thoughts. I'm the person who always says please and thank you and you're welcome, who treks across the store to put something back in its place rather than hand it to the cashier to reshelve, who stands for 5 minutes in front of the library shelves trying to put a book back in the right place (and reordering a few others alphabetically while I'm at it), who bags her own groceries, always says "bless you" when someone sneezes, and consciously doesn't stand in the middle of the grocery store aisle blocking it for everyone else while she's trying to make a decision about, say, breakfast cereal. People rave about how well mannered and polite my children are (literally, a former schoolteacher at dinner the other night just would NOT stop talking about it). I do believe it's the little things that make the world a much better place, and when we were driving home from North Carolina, passing through Virginia and Tennessee and West Virginia, I wanted to cry every time we met some super-sweet, ultra-friendly Southerner, because I'm from New Jersey, and we're just not accustomed to that sort of kindness!

However, I often find myself bending over too far backwards in my small courtesies for other, and modeling this for my daughters. I think this is as detrimental as teaching them that their own needs come first in every situation. Sometimes, our own needs DO get to come before a stranger's needs. Every once in awhile, I'm going to have to say that, yes, guarding against even the slightest increase in threat to my family's personal safety is going to have to come before a stranger's ire over the perceived rudeness of an unreturned grocery cart. I will never leave the cart in the handicapped spot, and I will never leave it in the middle of a regular spot or push it haphazardly into the paths of oncoming cars. I will always push the front wheels securely onto the median, or if there's no median, I'll stand there and wiggle it so that the front wheels turn so it won't roll. But I will not add to what I consider to be even the tiniest risk of my children's safety. Sometimes, that DOES come first, the same way I won't force them to kiss random family members if they don't want to or allow strangers to give them candy if I'm not comfortable with it.

I don't think considering your kids' safety over returning a shopping cart is an accurate measure of someone's character and desire to better the world for the rest of humanity.

Edited by WordGirl

According to YOU. I don't believe it is incorrect, and the many posts in this thread to the contrary have not convinced ME, just as ours have not convinced YOU. When you can find me a law or inarguable moral code that says it is unacceptable to leave carts in the parking lot for ANY reason, including perceived safety reasons, I'll consider your points. Until then, it's your word against mine. I know it's hard to accept *shrug*

I think the behavior is wrong, period. If you pull something out, you should put it away. If you see something that someone else left out, you should put it away. I personally have always been able to return my cart, I can accept that you think it is more wrong to leave your kids in the car, or not sit in the rain or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that it is wrong to not put a cart back where it belongs.

Having said that, I think it is equally rude to call someone out on a behavior. I would not follow you around the parking lot if you did not return a cart or call you out on not clearing a table after you ate. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ahh, but Peek.

Those who leave carts have spent 17 pages giving reasons why they are entitled to abandon carts in parking lots. 17 pages trying to justify themselves. 17 pages of ifs ands or buts but sometimes no matter what one does the truth can not be hidden. Of course there is the emergency, the unavoidable but even when that happens one should accept that the behavior is incorrect.

As to some of the more defensive posters.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - Shakespeare

sure.

i can say the same thing for threads about the military and the "right" to kill. "even in self defense." ;)

So if someone is ready willing and able to discuss a situation on a discussion board, they are protesting too much? or are they simply engaging in a, um, discussion? sometimes a discussion is just a discussion. :D

As to the guy in BK, I do loudly and publicly make a statement when people leave their trash on a table. You would be surprised how often they meekly say sorry and return to clean up the table. Why...because they are wrong and know it.

i wouldn't be surprised at all. Many people cower to people who are loud and rude. ;)

Many people would consider it polite to acquiesce and save other people in the establishment the offense of hearing [again]someone holler in a restaurant.

so...because they are wrong and they know it? not necessarily. :D

If my son is with me, I ask him to return it to the corral. Otherwise, it gets left in the lot. I'm not leaving my youngest alone in a vehicle while I walk across the lot to return a shopping cart if she and I are alone. If we are close enough to the corral then I might ask one of the older girls to do it for me, but I'm not having them traipsing all over the parking lot either.

Honestly, the lack of consideration is on the part of the store - it's went SO downhill in just the past 10 years. It used to be that you got your groceries bagged AND taking to your car, now - nothing, squat, zilch. They don't even want to pack the groceries for you.

However, in the small family owned stores, they still package it and take it to your vehicle and unload it. Then, there is no concern about the cart being left in the parking lot.

My son will be working at one of those family-owned grocery stores when he turns 16 (he just turned 15 last week) and I am thankful they still exist.

Edited by MOM24WONDERS

You want to know what really drives me nuts? When someone WALKS THEIR CART HOME and then leaves it in the bushes near my house :confused:

:D

After reading this thread, I thought of our old neighborhood where the store was less than two blocks. Most of us walked and we never returned the carts :svengo: BECAUSE we took them home! :lol:We "returned" them the next shopping trip, filled them with groceries and then went back home with our carts. The kids loved the ride in the cart to the store. Though it was funny to ride through and see so many shopping carts in the yards.

Maybe we should just take our carts home. My sister has one of those mini carts that she lugs out of her Jaguar every week because she hates anyone touching her cart. So she bought her own. :w00t:

Being the most vehement and loudest proclaimer of others' rudeness doesn't win you any awards for politeness. ;) Disagreement among friends doesn't have to lead to boorish behavior, but I've noticed that with some people it inevitably does. Unfortunate, that, but thankfully hypocrisy *can* be entertaining on a slow day.

I want one!!! LINK?

I don't' know where she bought it (knowing her she may have just permanently borrowed one! :001_smile:) but she has two - one that folds and one that is more of a basket holder - (did I say she doesn't like people to handle her cart??)

One looks a lot like this

http://premiercarts.com/folding_shopping_carts.htm

and the other looked like this one but I really don't see how she gets one that large in her car. Maybe she has one that folds somehow. The one she has is rather short compared to the regular ones.

http://premiercarts.com/convenience_carts.htm

I'll have to ask her if she knows where she found them at. She does store them in her garage until she goes shopping and then she loads up whichever and off she goes. :lol: (yes it's the family joke!)

I've read this post on and off over the past few days, so maybe it's already been said and I missed it. But I have a question:

Lots of people have responded saying, "I won't leave my kids in the car to return the cart."

Well then, why leave them? Why not have them walk with you, or ride in the cart, while you return it? Then all of you walk back to the car?

Not asked accusingly. Just wondering why no one seems to have mentioned that. Is it just because of the hassle of walking to the store...to the car...back to the store...back to the car, while dragging along a bunch of kids?

Edited by Garga

I'll have to ask her if she knows where she found them at. She does store them in her garage until she goes shopping and then she loads up whichever and off she goes. :lol: (yes it's the family joke!)
Oh my! Some of those look very much like the kind that bums have. I wonder where they get theirs.... ;)

Oops, I just remembered an occasion when I've left a cart in the lot. It was when the lot was so messy with heaps of snow and ice that it was almost impossible to push the cart to my car. I just didn't have the fortitude to plow it back to the store or to a distant corral. I felt a bit guilty, but I also felt they should have properly cleared the parking lot of the slush and drifts so that pushing a cart wasn't so difficult.

Oh my! Some of those look very much like the kind that bums have. I wonder where they get theirs.... ;)

Thats funny! Most people here in Melbourne have them because they shop at the market, it's not at all unusual to see a very well dressed young person with a shopping cart on the trams. Like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fashion-Blue-Hand-Shopping-Cart-Trolley_W0QQitemZ110421930877QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Retail_Shop_Fitting_Supplies?hash=item19b5a8f37d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 In New Zealand we called them "granny trolleys" so it always gives me a giggle. Except that I have one now too :tongue_smilie: except mine is the uber family sized one with two massive wire baskets in a folding frame.

I've read this post on and off over the past few days, so maybe it's already been said and I missed it. But I have a question:

Lots of people have responded saying, "I won't leave my kids in the car to return the cart."

Well then, why leave them? Why not have them walk with you, or ride in the cart, while you return it? Then all of you walk back to the car?

Not asked accusingly. Just wondering why no one seems to have mentioned that. Is it just because of the hassle of walking to the store...to the car...back to the store...back to the car, while dragging along a bunch of kids?

Because in the parking lots of the grocery stores we go to, I barely feel safe walking alone. They're full of big SUVs and mini vans, and I can think of at least four occasions off the top of my head when someone has nearly hit or backed into ME or my van. You can be certain they're not watching for my kids if they're not even seeing my minivan when they're in a hurry to back out of their space and get home. Our cart corrals are the beginning of every other aisle section, and if I'm parked too far from one, I don't feel safe or confident bringing two young kids, one of whom is usually near meltdown stage at that point, back and forth across the parking lot, particularly if it means crossing through aisles. If it was just my DD6, I'd have no problem at all. But with my DD3, I simply won't take the extra chance. She'll be older soon enough, and then it will be fine. But until then, it's beyond my personal comfort zone. I know that's not enough for most people, but there you go.

bad weather :

snow. ice. extreme cold. driving rain. 100+ temps and young babies.

bad attitudes:

kids had a stressful time in the store for whatever reason. getting sick. just pooped in their pants between the store door and your vehicle. you're getting sick.

neighboring vehicles:

the hair on the back of your neck is standing up as the person in the next vehicle is looking at y'all. Your gut says get out fast.

or any combination of all of the above.

and those are just off the top of my head.

There are so any variables in LIFE that I'm not gonna say there's no situation where there's no excuse to return a cart to the corral. I'm just gonna watch for those situations where people DID leave them and do my part to help out as a member of the community.

How about all those that are physically able to walk, but have all sorts of reasons for not returning the cart, park next to a cart corral.

smiley-alien006.gif

a lot of people do just that :)

I tend to leave those spots open for people who might have fewer opportunities to properly return a cart than i. and there's not always a spot near the cart corral ;)

many people WON't do that because it's easier for their vehicles to get dinged by people who miss their target when they 'throw' the cart at the corral.

I read this thread and many times laughed for the entertainment of it all... both sides have had some amusing statements (amusing to me).

But I have to share what happened yesterday...

I drove into the parking lot and there, right in the middle of the aisle that I am driving down is a cart. Just sitting right there! The wind was blowing pretty good, but the cart wasn't moving around. I did have to drive out of the main aisle (where car parking spaces were located, but there weren't any cars there) to get past the lost cart.

Anyway... I thought of you all as I passed the lonely cart.

50/50 here, Moni.

I can't BELIEVE this thread is still going. :confused:

I've rather enjoyed seeing how passionate some people are about returning (or not returning) their shopping carts. Who knew? I now divide the world into three groups:

1. Those who ALWAYS return their shopping cart. They choose where they park and who they take to the store with them in order to be assured of a proper cart return.

2. Those who usually return their shopping cart, but on occassion--if it's too hot/cold, they don't want to take/leave their kids, they don't feel like it--don't.

3. Those who never return their cart (only saw one or two of those).

Be assured that each group is convinced of the rightness of their choice, and all others are rude/careless/bad parents/horrible people.

(And if anyone takes this seriously, you need to :chillpill: out).

Nah, it's just. . . I don't know, amusing!

I just never think about it. Sometimes I return it, sometimes I don't. It's not really an issue for me, so I'm just chuckling that it's a thread with umpteen posts.

What category am I in, Mamabegood? ;) Do I get my own???

I wouldn't leave my children in the car for a second to return a grocery cart. I'm sorry - things happen too quickly. In our area of the country, it is often 100 degrees in summer which means either the child has to go in a car that is WAY to scalding hot to even BREATHE in while I return a cart, OR, they have to be in a running vehicle while I return a cart.

Now my children are older and it isn't an issue (unless I have the grandbaby). I return carts. But if my kids were small, and I wasn't next to the cart corral, not a chance, and I would have ZERO guilt.