Menu

my first Malaysia RANT

It's only been 3 weeks...am I allowed to have a rant yet? :tongue_smilie:

It's the traffic. The horrible, lawless traffic. I thought driving on the other side of the road and the other side of the car would be tough. That is NOTHING compared to driving when there are NO rules.

Even still, I am getting used to the thousands of motorbikes who drive wherever they want. And I am getting used to people weaving in and out of traffic, straddling the lanes, randomly stopping and parking their car in a traffic lane thereby making everyone else have to go around them :confused:.

What I am having trouble with is the people who cut you off within a fraction of an inch, people who think "merging lanes" means to speed to the end and then cut in front of you almost taking your front end off, etc.

When asking around about the terrible driving behavior the answer I get is "It's a cultural thing. It's not wrong, It's just different."

BALONEY. POPPYCOCK. BULL-PUCKEY. HOGWASH. HOOEY. MALARKEY.

Rude is Rude in any language and any culture. When you drive in a way that endangers my life, it is not a "cultural thing" especially if you are trying to say it is "acceptable". Sure, it might be a cultural thing in terms of common in that culture but it doesn't make it acceptable to treat your fellow humans in that way.

There seems to be this pervasive "ME FIRST" thing here. They cut in front of you in line at stores and when they drive. Drivers coming out of side streets literally just turn right into traffic on the main road and it is MY responsibility to stop so I don't hit them??? Of course, in their defense, if they didn't do that they would never get on the main road because NO ONE will let them in EVER. We've slowed to let people in and the cars behind us blared their horns at us. I've never seen anything like it.

I am sure this happens elsewhere but I am not in those other places...I am here. I am from Detroit and I thought WE had aggressive drivers. HAH! Detroit is a bunch of old ladies compared to Penang drivers.

Will I get used to it? I suppose in the sense that it will become familiar to me. But will I get used to it in terms of thinking it is acceptable behavior? Nope. A little regard for your fellow man would go a long way, ya know?

OK rant over.... :rant:

Edited by Heather in NC

I also lived in Egypt and I drove when I lived there. It was terrifying. I saw several horrible car accidents, a ship-accident and 2 guys from our office were killed when their car skidded off a cliff. One of them died instantly, but the other guy was stuck in the car for a LONG time and none of the passers-by (mostly truck drivers) stopped to help him. Poor guy. Be careful.

Makes one wonder what others think about our driving while visiting the U.S....

"You won't believe how SLOW they drive over there! It takes forever to get anywhere because everyone expects that you will stay in your place in the line of cars. I think they can't drive properly because they are too busy on their phones or sending text messages. I HATE it! I even got a ticket for "reckless driving" because I was using the median to pass these slow pokes! What else is it for? What a waste of space if you can't drive on it!"

:D:D:D

This reminds me of Morocco. At times I swear there were no lanes. Bangkok was pretty bad, too, but at least you didn't also have donkey carts at the same time.

Check out this video from India. Is this what it's like in Malaysia?

Sounds like Boston. ;) (Not that there aren't horrible, aggressive drivers around here, but Boston takes it to the next, scary level - the only city I flatly refuse to drive in.)

Nope-I don't think there is a city in the US that can compare to some of the driving in foreign countries.

Heather-remember your seat belts and keep at it. Eventually it will seem normal and those folks in Detroit will think you have road rage when you come home to visit. You aren't alone.

Check out this video from India. Is this what it's like in Malaysia?

Yes, only with about ten times more cars!

Here is another example.....

Today, at a main intersection, the traffic lights stopped working. Now in Detroit, when that happened, everyone knows you automatically revert to a "four-way-stop" system where you all take turns in order going through the intersection so that you don't crash into each other.

Well not here. What we had here was TOTAL CHAOS. Everyone was trying to go at the same time so it was a huge gridlock mess and everyone was blaring horns. Just ridiculous.

As someone who has driven in many places in Asia I appreciate the chaos in which you find yourself.

A strong suggestion:

Have a very good medical kit in the car. Include splints, neck immobilizer, gloves, chemical cold packs, lots of gauze, bandages and anything else you feel comfortable using.

Learn how to stabilize an accident victim and lean the appropriate words in Malay. There is little so frustrating and heartbreaking as being on the scene of a bad accident and not having an appropriate first aid kit and not knowing what to do.

Further be aware of the legal ramifications of helping, not all countries subscribe to the "Good Samaritan" law.

Even if you legally can not help it is worthwhile to have a kit so that you can offer it or if you, or family, are the victim you can use it or have it used on you.

Sounds similar to the times I've been in Haiti! Except there it's like bumper cars...I don't know how many "accidents" I was in just because it was so common for people to run into each other and keep going...if someone's in your way, you just work your way around them by scooting up until you bump them, back and forth bumping cars front and back...crazy!

This is what I have noticed as well. Lane lines are optional suggestions!

What made me the most scared was riding in those rick shaws with cars on every side!!!!

Heather, I am interested to see what you will say about this very same thing in 2 years' time!

Hang in there! Go eat some Durian or something! :D

Dawn

Most of Asia is like that. They toot like crazy and abuse each other and push in and generally go crazy on the roads. I have visited 4 different Asian countries and they are all the same. It certainly is no fun!!

As someone who has driven in many places in Asia I appreciate the chaos in which you find yourself.

A strong suggestion:

Have a very good medical kit in the car. Include splints, neck immobilizer, gloves, chemical cold packs, lots of gauze, bandages and anything else you feel comfortable using.

Learn how to stabilize an accident victim and lean the appropriate words in Malay. There is little so frustrating and heartbreaking as being on the scene of a bad accident and not having an appropriate first aid kit and not knowing what to do.

Further be aware of the legal ramifications of helping, not all countries subscribe to the "Good Samaritan" law.

Even if you legally can not help it is worthwhile to have a kit so that you can offer it or if you, or family, are the victim you can use it or have it used on you.

And you appreciate all this...why?!:001_huh:

You could be describing Italy, lol. Specifically Naples. I've lived here for 2 years and I'm still not used to it in the sense that I find it acceptable. I've learned to live with it and adapt my driving to fit in (it helps that I have a minivan which automatically earns me respect in most cases).

I can't count the number of times the locals have gotten themselves in a complete gridlock at a roundabout because nobody would give anyone else the right of way. I kid you not, they make it so nobody can move at all.

And my beautiful, pristine 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan that I brought over here in 2007, only 2 years old (now 4 years old), is no longer beautiful and pristine.

Originally Posted by pqr viewpost.gif

A strong suggestion:

And you appreciate all this...why?!:001_huh:

Appreciate in the sense of having been there and seen it. As to the need for a comprehensive medical kit, unfortunately I have also seen too much of that in the less developed parts of the world.

Originally Posted by pqr viewpost.gif

A strong suggestion:

Appreciate in the sense of having been there and seen it. As to the need for a comprehensive medical kit, unfortunately I have also seen too much of that in the less developed parts of the world.

Ah, okay. I thought you meant "appreciate" as in "prefer, enjoyed in some manner". The medical kit I could totally understand.

Ah, okay. I thought you meant "appreciate" as in "prefer, enjoyed in some manner". The medical kit I could totally understand.

It can get really bad, I have been in places where there is no ambulance and people literally get thrown into the beds of trucks to be driven to a "hospital."

My friend from Mumbai once told me once that only risk-takers drive, and that hiring someone to drive for you there is so cheap that it's not worth the personal aggravation to many people. Her husband (via an arranged marriage) lived in Los Angeles for many years and then moved to the DC area shortly before they married. He always says the the traffic in America is NOTHING...

Sounds similar to the times I've been in Haiti! Except there it's like bumper cars...I don't know how many "accidents" I was in just because it was so common for people to run into each other and keep going...if someone's in your way, you just work your way around them by scooting up until you bump them, back and forth bumping cars front and back...crazy!

Yes~ we actually were just praying for someone at church today who was involved in a motorcycle accident in Haiti. The person has an open head fracture; all I can think of is a smashed coconut. :tongue_smilie: We are thanking God that surgery went okay, but sure hope this poor person will be state-side soon for neurosurgery.

Our nation has a lot to answer for, but I am always amazed when I see how quickly emergency workers and even pedestrians are available to help. Makes loving one's neighbor as oneself more than some words on a page. ;)

Edited by Cindy in the NH Woods

I'm so used to go-with-the-flow driving (from my time in China) that I almost gave my step-mother a heart attack last week. I had right of way and an elderly driver came straight out of a side street. My s-m didn't think I had seen her, because I hadn't slammed on the brakes, or seemingly reacted in any way. In fact, I had slowed slightly and was drifting forward gently to allow the wayward lady to slide in front of me.

Good luck learning to swim with the fish.

Laura

Mm. I almost converted to Catholicism after surviving a car trip with my cousin in Poland. I told him if he ever came to Australia he must not drive like a Polish man. "What's wrong with my driving?" he asked in a hurt voice. "Well," said I, "we never over take someone who is over taking a truck at 40km/h over the speed limit while talking on our mobile phones!" He said this would not be necessary if Poland was to introduce over taking lanes. One lane each way between major cities is craziness!

Rosie- who'd rather catch a train

LOL! ::delurking:: Japan is soooo much easier in that the Japanese people are TERRIBLY polite!!!

However, it took some serious getting used to having someone just STOP and PARK in the left lane of the street, no notice. It still gets me when we are going about 60 clicks on a narrow 2 lane (JUST enough space between the buildings for 3 thin cars with their side mirrors tucked in) with oncoming traffic and no one SLOWS down when passing a parked car.

I understand now, almost a year after starting to drive here, why all Japanese cars have a button to "tuck your ears in" (close your side mirrors into your car).

Kris

MY girls were terrified in Hungary. They didn't seem to mind Italy as much. WE saw plenty of crazy driving in Italy including 4 different times a person on an highway backing up to a exit. We are actually talking faster highways than in the US since the speed limit is higher. Considering we didn't spend more than 2 weeks total in Italy, that is a lot of incidences. But since we had already mastered driving through a Arab street market in Paris, we were good to go. FOr the most part, dh does the driving and I try to do the navigating. (WHich is how we got into the street marker since on the map the street was a large boulevard but on this day, most of it was taken up by stalls),

I also have to deal with imigrant drivers here many of whom have not learned English nor have they learned how we drive. ONe guy was honking at me for not making a left turn on a green light with cars coming at a very close distance from the other direction (no time). After I started turning shortly after that, he decided to go araound me and turn first. THen I saw that his cas had evidence of side impact crashes like he hadn't learned how to turn or didn't really care.

When we visited Egypt and Israel, it was the exact same thing. People invented their own "lanes" regularly. Our bus driver even tried to reassure us it was legal when our tour bus was going the wrong way down a one-way street with traffic.

Reminds me of rush hour traffic in Napoli, Italy plus the countless fruitstands on both sides of the road. One good thing was they could not go fast enough to kill someone in that chaotic mess. :glare:

I LOOVVEEEE driving in Korea. Its like a video game, but bigger! One thing is for sure, driving is never, ever a mindless, boring activity.

Korea has lots of modern great highways and traffic laws, but they aren't so much "laws" as "guidelines". People drive and park on the sidewalk allll the time. I've done it myself, in my big ol honkin American mini van. :lol:

Seriously, I am going to get arrested when we get back to the US. I am so used to driving only with the intention of not killing anyone and getting where we are going- no other considerations like speed, traffic laws, etc.

:grouphug: it IS quite unbelievable. you are a braver woman than i. (i've driven on all continents EXCEPT south asia. you couldn't pay me enough.... )

:auto: hire a driver. :auto:

truly. notice the person in the car is smiling...

the embassy may have good suggestions. (ie. all drivers are not created equal. in egypt our rule was to look for a middle aged man with children and a nice car. the driver in egypt from the embassy was head and shoulders the best we've ever had!)

in india, dh has been known to hail a taxi to cross the street. seriously...

we alter our lifestyle, too. we simply don't go out the same way we do other places. part of that is air quality, part of that is a great desire to live ; ).

we hired a driver in egypt, and took the metro a lot. but we found israel and jordan quite driveable. by comparison, rome and paris are cake walks. (never, ever thought i'd say that, but there you have it!)

you can do this (just maybe not the way you thought initially ; ).

ann

I'd second the "hire a driver" suggestion.

During our time in East Africa, I basically let dh drive while I sat in the back seat next to dd's car seat and stared at the back of the passenger seat headrest. I figured what I couldn't see wouldn't bother me. It worked surprisingly well! :)

Mama Anna

We have good friends who just moved to Haiti to be missionaries. They are going to be living at an orphanage--the current missionaries are coming back to the states for a while.

He is spending the next few weeks before the others leave just to learn how to drive in Haiti. He said it's just crazy! Pot holes and donkeys everywhere.