Menu

Unpasteurized whole milk - safe?

I have a good friend who has been buying her milk from a local farmer since January. yesterday, I was at her house and I had some of the cream from the top of the milk in my coffee. I am lactose intolerant so, the little bit of half and half I usually have in my coffee causes mild discomfort. This was so yummy and I had NO discomfort. My youngest is also lactose intolerant and (for those that are keeping track) has food allergies we're still in the process of tracking down. My friend says lactose intolerant people can drink fresh milk because the enzymes to break it down are in there. I worry about parasites and germs. Has anyone tried fresh, unpasteurized milk in their home? What did it do for you?

Blessings!

Dorinda

I highly recommend the book The Untold Story of Milk.

We changed to raw milk about two years ago. Dd had eczema for years and has been gone since two weeks in. Her skin overall feels so much healthier. That's the most noticeable difference that we've experienced. :)

We used it for some months before our supplier disappeared, and we had no problems at all. There is a whole community of people who will tell you that raw milk is unquestionably better for you than the grocery store version, especially for the lactose intolerant, as you discovered. :) I had no appreciable good effects (other than incredible taste!) but certainly no bad ones. Good luck in your decisions!

I have a good friend who has been buying her milk from a local farmer since January. yesterday, I was at her house and I had some of the cream from the top of the milk in my coffee. I am lactose intolerant so, the little bit of half and half I usually have in my coffee causes mild discomfort. This was so yummy and I had NO discomfort. My youngest is also lactose intolerant and (for those that are keeping track) has food allergies we're still in the process of tracking down. My friend says lactose intolerant people can drink fresh milk because the enzymes to break it down are in there. I worry about parasites and germs. Has anyone tried fresh, unpasteurized milk in their home? What did it do for you?

Blessings!

Dorinda

Since last year, it has been the beverage of choice. We drink 3.5 gallons a week (7 people). Thinking of making homemade yogurt. My sister is into cultured butter from it.

Basically find a farmer who's doing this, like your friend's farmer, who has a good reputation with their customers.

Yes, it's safe in general. The problem is only when there is something going through the cows (listeria outbreak). But that is rare. There are plenty of people that will only drink raw milk because it still has all the "goodies" and the fats haven't been changed to "unhealthy" (fat that digests vs fat that sticks). The only thing to be warned about is that some people that are used to store milk, their stomachs may not take well to the change to raw milk. It upsets their tummy. I have one child that is like this.

We haven't used it, but DSs Dr said he'd prefer the kids ONLY drink raw milk (DH is a little weirded out by it and the price).

WOW! That's the first time I've heard that from a ped!

Yes, I agree with the others about raw milk. We're not huge milk drinkers, so I'm glad that what we do drink/cook with/use is raw. If you can, you might try visiting the site of the supplier you're considering so you can ask them about their practices and see them firsthand. Most suppliers have very strict standards, but of course there are bad eggs. I'd imagine there's a slightly higher risk of catching something that you wouldn't get from pasteurized milk, but I also think that, for our family, I'll take that risk in return for reaping the benefits of raw milk.

Nina Planck's book Real Food also has a section on raw milk and it is what convinced me. Unfortunately, I can't legally purchase raw milk in my state :(

You may try the Weston A Price Foundation or their Campaign for Real Milk page.

I find Planck a little more approachable and less conspiracy-theoristy than Weston Price and Nourishing Traditions, although I really like NT and find it to be a valuable resource.

Unfortunately, I can't legally purchase raw milk in my state
you might look into cow shares and see if anyone does that. In MI it's illegal to sell raw milk, too, but if you own the cow, then you are allowed to drink it, so farms around here sell cow shares, and you own part of the cow and so then you can get the raw milk and drink it.

WOW! That's the first time I've heard that from a ped!

Yes, I agree with the others about raw milk. We're not huge milk drinkers, so I'm glad that what we do drink/cook with/use is raw. If you can, you might try visiting the site of the supplier you're considering so you can ask them about their practices and see them firsthand. Most suppliers have very strict standards, but of course there are bad eggs. I'd imagine there's a slightly higher risk of catching something that you wouldn't get from pasteurized milk, but I also think that, for our family, I'll take that risk in return for reaping the benefits of raw milk.

He's actually a homeopathic family Dr...the peds around here are far too uptight to suggest such a thing lol

We started using raw milk about a little over a month ago. No problems here. Legally they have to inform us they are only allowed to sell it for animal consumption. We pick it up twice a week. We make ice milk with it once or twice a week, can't really call it ice cream because it is milk. It is so yummy. We also make homemade frozen pudding pops. I just started making yogurt. I appreciate having found this farm. I admit though that I have had a difficult time attempting to make butter. I can make it with store bought cream, but not with raw cream. I really need to work on that. Very few people get sick each year from raw milk, more people get sick from other foods.

I have been very interested in raw milk since two of my kids are lactose intolerant and my baby has rashes that I KNOW are from the milk I'm drinking (they go away everytime I stop and come back as soon as I start). However the only way I consume milk is heated up and made into chai tea. Would heating it up to near boiling basically turn the raw milk into what I'm buying at the store? I'm not sure how hot they go for pastuerazation and I'm wondering if raw would help baby and still let me have my morning tea or if heating it will nullify any of the good stuff in it.

Thanks

Basically find a farmer who's doing this, like your friend's farmer, who has a good reputation with their customers.

I totally agree.

Nina Planck's book Real Food also has a section on raw milk and it is what convinced me. Unfortunately, I can't legally purchase raw milk in my state :(

In Georgia, farmers can't legally sell raw milk for human consumption, either. However, they get around this by selling it for pets. By law they have to put a label on it that says, "Pet milk. Not for human consumption." If you ask around, you may find that the same is true in your state. I hope you find a way to purchase it.

I'm going to give it a try! I e-mailed my friend and she's going to pick up a gallon for me next week. I'm going to go very slow, I don't know how everyone's systems will handle it. But, I did notice my stomach was not upset AT ALL yesterday while I was at her house, and today I'm back to my "normal" "mild discomfort" :glare:with the lactose free organic milk and half/half. It was so weird yesterday to drink the morning coffee and brace myself for the hurt. It never came! I drank 3 cups of coffee with her and not ONCE did my stomach hurt. Today, I had 1 1/2 cups and the "mild discomfort" is back. I also did not have intestinal problems at all yesterday or this morning. This pm, not so great:tongue_smilie:.

My husband thinks we're all going to die, I'll be sure to let you know.

Blessings!

Dorinda

DH grew up on it & really misses it.

I have a dear friend who buys all her milk from the local dairy to avoid homogenization (they do pasteurize due to local law) but even homogenization changes the chemical make up of some protein and her kids are highly allergic to it.... without the processing, they do better. Every time you HEAT it and slosh it/mix it.... you change it... and destroy some elements of it.

there can be problems... but I think the health benefits outweigh the potential problems... but it won't keep as long... drink it quick.

Any websites you have would also be appreciated. I find it so hard to sift through the legit sites v/s the false ones.

Thanks again!

Dorinda

You would want to read the Weston Price site. They have a lot of information on raw milk.

My family has been drinking raw milk forever. It feels like forever anyway. I think it is close to 7 years now.

Our board microbiologist was skeptical of the claims for raw milk. [Gosh, what was his name?] He said the only difference in nutrition was that pasturized milk wouldn't give you brucellosis or some of the other nasty diseases that are possible. I don't understand how conventional dairy farmers just squirting that blue stuff onto the cow's teats before attaching the milking machines makes the manure clinging to them just *poof* disappear.

I'm personally askeerd of brucellosis, but if I had a family that I trusted raising and milking a cow, I might be willing to try raw.

Our board microbiologist was skeptical of the claims for raw milk. [Gosh, what was his name?] He said the only difference in nutrition was that pasturized milk wouldn't give you brucellosis or some of the other nasty diseases that are possible. I don't understand how conventional dairy farmers just squirting that blue stuff onto the cow's teats before attaching the milking machines makes the manure clinging to them just *poof* disappear.

I'm personally askeerd of brucellosis, but if I had a family that I trusted raising and milking a cow, I might be willing to try raw.

The cows would have to be infected. My farmer is a veterinarian too. Just because he is a microbiologist doesn't mean he knows about raw milk. Pasturization kills good bacteria too.

We had goats for a few months to see if it would help our milk allergies to have raw milk - but no, it didn't help. We did enjoy home made ice cream and butter and the milking was fun as well (mostly!) We were incredibly careful about what we fed the goats (high quality alfalfa) and were really, really careful about hygiene when milking and storing it. We never got sick. Always smell it - my sister swears she can tell when milk (even fresh) isn't right just by the smell. We also could observe our animals - if they ever looked sick (they didn't) we would not have consumed the milk. I think healthy animals will generally produce healthy milk. Check out the supplier's conditions - be sure they are well fed and well cared for creatures.

HTH

Squirting the 'blue stuff' on the cows teats doesn't make the manure disappear any more than people squirting anti-bacterial waterless hand gel on their hands make them clean. It kills the bacteria, although soap & water do better.

I grew up drinking raw milk, so did my husband. My dad vaccinated against brucellosis, my fil did not. None of my family was ever sick from drinking milk, my husband and one of his siblings contracted undulant fever from brucellosis infected cows. With the eradication & testing programs in the last 40 years, brucellosis is not a big concern now (in the USA).

Raw, unpasteurized milk is no guarantee against lactose intolerance, I developed that as a teen, or became aware of it then. :(

The main thing I'd ask the farmer is if he & his family drinks their own milk. If not, why not?

I'm not sure how hot they go for pastuerazation and I'm wondering if raw would help baby and still let me have my morning tea or if heating it will nullify any of the good stuff in it.

The guidelines I've read about using miso is to add it to your cooking when it has cooled enough that you don't burn your finger if you stick it in. Maybe it's the same for raw milk?

Rosie

I feel so lucky we not only get raw milk, we get it delivered- well, to my friend just down the road. And, it's cheaper than some of the normal organic brands in the shops. ($3.50 a litre- dont know how that compares to over there).

Dd15 and I love it and drink it all the time. Dh and ds13 find it too wierd (mainly the cream on the top) and only get it when I make kefir smoothies for them.

I feel so lucky we not only get raw milk, we get it delivered- well, to my friend just down the road. And, it's cheaper than some of the normal organic brands in the shops. ($3.50 a litre- dont know how that compares to over there).

Dd15 and I love it and drink it all the time. Dh and ds13 find it too wierd (mainly the cream on the top) and only get it when I make kefir smoothies for them.

:iagree:I save $1 per gallon of milk buying the raw milk directly from the farmer. Plus, the milk is from grass fed cows on organic fields.