Menu

If you just got an extra $50...

If I didn't need/want anything just yet I would put it away till I did. I might also use it for a science museum pass or other field trip excursions that sometimes get put aside because of admission/ gas costs. We live about an hour from three different science museums so with a family of 6 we got a year pass and plan to go to them throughout the year.

Four months membership at a local workout gym. No, seriously. You gain weight with all that couch reading, and the workouts will help relieve stress. Do something for YOU!

After that, a dentist visit, massage, housecleaning, or a paper cutter. Xacto makes a great paper cutter you can get at the office supply for about $50. I bought it when my dd was K5, and I've used it hard for 5 years now, great buy!

Oh, just saw you're prego. Go for the paper cutter, since you probably can't do the gym. :)

Two things I've always wanted that cost $50 but could never justify spending $50 on: Rightstart math games and Happy Phonics. In retrospect, I wish I would have just spent the money and gotten them. My dd has an incredibly hard time memorizing math facts, and I hear the Rightstart games are great for that. Also, we struggle with getting her to work on her phonics lession--maybe games would have made it more fun.

Or, if you truly can't think of anything you need, how about some good art supplies? You know, real drawing pencils, good colored pencils and paints, etc.

I noticed that you are using Miquon. I just bought cuisenaire rods from ETA/Cuisenaire, and splurged for a set of base ten blocks (about $40 bucks). I know, not very exciting... but I'm excited about them! :)

ETA - I've also had my eye on a Flashmaster.

Edited by Mama2Three

For a first grader, definately hands on stuff - games, manipulatives or anything else fun. I love Learning Resources for that kind of stuff. Save it until the baby is born and keep dc busy while you are overwhelmed the first little while. We also have the math games referred to earlier and love them. Or story books. Lots of good stories for snuggle time on the couch after the new baby is born. With the added bonus that hands on develops their math thinking ability and exposure to language develops their reading, vocabulary and comprehension. Two birds with one $50 stone...:)

I use my paper cutter, comb binder, and multi-purpose, flat bed, laser printer. (It also has a feeder, so I can copy whole workbooks at a time, if the copyright permits!). I have a laminator, but I don't use it that much cause it's a pain. But I also have 2 girls who are pretty easy on things. Card stock lasts a long time with them. But I know some families that would NEED a laminator.

I haven't read everyone's yet, but I would say art supplies. I would head to the store and get tons of clay, huge packs of paint to last all year, paintbrushes, all kinds of art paper (watercolor, drawing, large sheets, sketch books) beads and string for fine motor skill work and making jewelry, playdoh, stickers, etc etc etc. We can never have enough of that stuff and it adds up.

buy the new WTM book. It will provide you with an invaluable resource int eh years ahead.

If you're not sure about buying it, try to find a copy at your local library, or borrow one from a friend to peruse first :)

We have it- and it's already all marked up. :) I love the WTM! Thanks, though!

Everyone else- now I'm wishing it was more- I see so many good ideas!

Four months membership at a local workout gym. No, seriously. You gain weight with all that couch reading, and the workouts will help relieve stress. Do something for YOU!

After that, a dentist visit, massage, housecleaning, or a paper cutter. Xacto makes a great paper cutter you can get at the office supply for about $50. I bought it when my dd was K5, and I've used it hard for 5 years now, great buy!

Oh, just saw you're prego. Go for the paper cutter, since you probably can't do the gym. :)

I just have to know where one can get a 4 month gym membership for $50. Here even a pass to the county run gym is $60 per month - most gyms are more than that.

Heather