Menu

Anyone watching the MJ memorial?

Yes, I got suckered into watching.

I don't understand, though. Is he IN the casket? Why do a private ceremony with his casket at Forest Lawn (where he'll be buried) and then take him to the memorial? Or is the casket empty and just there for the sake of the memorial?

A House Resolution (600)......"I call Michael Jackson the Good Samaritan".....”miraculous experience to be able to listen and see Michael in action”……”the King, yes the King stopped and said I care about you”…..”we are better because Michael Joseph Jackson lived” ---speech by Rep Lee.

Have we lost all touch with reality? National hysteria?

Not watching. They had a psychologist on the news last night explaining why Americans feel so close to their celebrities... I listened, until she inferred that it was healthy :glare: From that point on I wondered if she had feathers, a bill, and waddles...

Good Grief! Not wanting to take away from his success but I would not describe him with attributes that should be reserved for true heroes.

I did listen to his songs in the mid-eighties afterwards things got a little um...too weird - for me anyway.

Not watching. They had a psychologist on the news last night explaining why Americans feel so close to their celebrities... I listened, until she inferred that it was healthy :glare: From that point on I wondered if she had feathers, a bill, and waddles...

Hey, don't toss the ducks out with the quacks! ;)

I switched on television during a break, to watch the BBC news channel. (the main tv that I ever watch). Ouch ! There it was. Some man ranting and raving about Mr. Jackson from a stage.

This is/was not a person whom I respected in any way, and my head shakes in disbelief that his death has magnified him as if he were somebody of cosmic importance.

Have we lost all touch with reality? National hysteria

PQR, I don't think you and I have ever agreed on anything here, but I am so right with you on this one. I'm so sick of all this. He was a great musician, yes. I love the Thriller album, and even a few other things he did. He might even have been a good dad in spite of all the weirdness. But for pete's sake!

Hey, don't toss the ducks out with the quacks! ;)

:lol: You got me, didn't mean to throw you under the bus there ;)

ETA: You know what's funny is that I hear people calling him "MJ" now... When was he ever "MJ" irl? I understand, short-hand on the computer, but it seems wierd that he's suddenly got a nick name.

[quote name=lionfamily1999;1056237

ETA: You know what's funny is that I hear people calling him "MJ" now... When was he ever "MJ" irl? I understand' date=' short-hand on the computer, but it seems wierd that he's suddenly got a nick name.

As a Chicagoan, MJ will always be Michael Jordan. How dare they debase that moniker! :glare:

I do think it is a bit much. I am very tired of all the adulation. I enjoyed his music in the 80's. I danced to it. Even then, I knew he was only a pop star. What did he do besides make pop music? Did he devote his life to helping others? Did he make a difference in the world outside the bubble of entertainment?

As a Chicagoan, MJ will always be Michael Jordan. How dare they debase that moniker! :glare:

I do think it is a bit much. I am very tired of all the adulation. I enjoyed his music in the 80's. I danced to it. Even then, I knew he was only a pop star. What did he do besides make pop music? Did he devote his life to helping others? Did he make a difference in the world outside the bubble of entertainment?

I've tried a hundred responses and they all come off mean and nasty, so :iagree: and now I'll zip it ;)

Well, I've read articles that said he'd given over 500 million to charities. I think he did give a chunk of his life to helping people in need, outside the entertainment bubble.

Yes, he did. But I do hope the media will go on to something else and let a family grieve in peace. I know how stressful grieving was for me. They've had the memorial, now they(the media) should move on. I don't want to hear a word about money/custody fights.

I don't know if you're being serious or snippy, but wealthy people live and die wealthy-like. Ronald Reagan's funeral cost several million to taxpayers, how many would that have fed? And yes, I realize he was "important" in a different way, but how do you begrudge a coffin, for pete's sake?? There's a boatload of gold in the Vatican, I'd bet, so why don't they feed the poor with it? Rush Limbaugh flies around in a jet worth tens of millions, why not feed kids and fly coach? There's so many examples of similar stuff...

Me thinks it's merely a bit of sour grapes being passed around this thread.

I think it is interesting that you chose only conservatives/republicans for your example.

Well, I've read articles that said he'd given over 500 million to charities. I think he did give a chunk of his life to helping people in need, outside the entertainment bubble.

Yes, he did give a lot of money to charities. With his wealth, it certainly was out of his excess. He still lived a ridiculously extravagant lifestyle. It is easy to write a check when it when it doesn't change your lifestyle. And yes, he did the "We Are the World" thing when it was fashionable to do those things - everybody was doing them. Still, he worked much harder at being a pop star and a tabloid personality than he did at bettering the world.

I stand on the fact that the adulation heaped upon him now has little to do with his humanitarian efforts and more to do with an obscene level of celeb worship.

I don't know if you're being serious or snippy, but wealthy people live and die wealthy-like. Ronald Reagan's funeral cost several million to taxpayers, how many would that have fed? And yes, I realize he was "important" in a different way, but how do you begrudge a coffin, for pete's sake?? There's a boatload of gold in the Vatican, I'd bet, so why don't they feed the poor with it? Rush Limbaugh flies around in a jet worth tens of millions, why not feed kids and fly coach? There's so many examples of similar stuff...

Me thinks it's merely a bit of sour grapes being passed around this thread.

Reagan vs Jackson...yep, very different; but I still don't agree with an abundance of waste, rich, famous, or whatever else a person is. Dig a hole, toss me in, cover it up. Or create a funeral pier as my Native ancestors did, put me on it, and light it up. I'm dead, put what little I have into the living, not into fancying up my empty corpse. My memories will be in the lives of those whom it matters, not into how big a ceremony I can afford. I feel the same about other things...I want my family to celebrate my life when I'm gone, not waste theirs in mourning.

I stand on the fact that the adulation heaped upon him now has little to do with his humanitarian efforts and more to do with an obscene level of celeb worship.

I don't have strong feelings for or against Michael Jackson in particular, but I do agree that there is "an obscene level of celeb worship" around the globe.

Yeah, I'd heard that, too.

Besides, who's to say that the money spent on the casket would have gone to charity had they chosen a less expensive casket? I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Michael Jackson fan, but if the family has the money for that, it's their choice to spend it that way. Wouldn't be my choice, but then again, I don't have the discretionary money they seem to have.

Or, it could be gold foil over stainless steel. Or gold paint over particle board. ;)

......I feel the same about other things...I want my family to celebrate my life when I'm gone, not waste theirs in mourning.

After seeing these things it reminds me to celebrate people while they can see and hear it. I mean I do it anyway, but after watching this kind of stuff I do it even more. When they're in the casket, gold or not, it's just too late.

But I do hope the media will go on to something else and let a family grieve in peace. I know how stressful grieving was for me. They've had the memorial, now they(the media) should move on.

I'll second this. We are pretty close neighbors of the Jackson family. It has been a zoo. The helicopters (which have been almost ever-present) were out in supreme force before dawn this morning. I couldn't sleep. No way anyone in the Jackson compound could sleep.

I hope this closes the door on the media-circus. What are the odds?

Bill

"Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine," Paris Jackson, 11, said, choking back sobs. "And I just want to say I love him so much."

It took a lot of courage for that shy little girl to get up there in front of the world to let us know how she felt. Please remember that this is someone's daddy, a real person with feelings.

And his children must miss him terribly right now...:crying:

Hey, thanks for being interested, Megs. However, I'm familiar with Reagan only because my son recently wrote a paper on him, I listen to Rush, for laughs, occasionally, and everyone knows about the gold in Rome, right? But as I said already, the wealthy live and die in wealthy fashion, conservative or not.

:D

"Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine," Paris Jackson, 11, said, choking back sobs. "And I just want to say I love him so much."

It took a lot of courage for that shy little girl to get up there in front of the world to let us know how she felt. Please remember that this is someone's daddy, a real person with feelings.

How terrible for her to have to do this on national television.

Neither do I. I am just very annoyed at the level of hysteria the media is whipping up over this. I don't need to hear about it 24/7.

This is my biggest complaint. When every third song on the radio is an MJ song (unless it's a country or classical station) or when everytime I turn the channel to watch something listed on the DISH guide only to find out they are overrunning EVERY THING with MJ coverage for several days straight (do they really need to run his biography back to back for that long?)...it gets annoying.

I agree, even if his casket was less, his family would be using the money in other ways. My point was the ridiculously exaberant lifestyle he lived. I'm sorry, but even if I HAD that kind of money, I wouldn't want to live like that. But that boils down to "To each their own" (I come from a long line of penny pinchers and investors).

And that brings it all home. He wasn't just an icon or pop star; he was someone's daddy. I can't imagine being a child of a big celeb and dealing with their death when there's media and the public wanting a piece of it. I really feel for his children.

I agree the media is a bit much but we, as a nation, tend to operate on supply and demand.

That aside. It is estimated that Michael Jackson has given over 500 million dollars to charities. The list below only some of the regular benefactors of his generosity. So, yes, ask anyone who has been on the receiving end of one of these charities and they are sure to tell you he made a difference outside the entertainment industry. Even our own House of Representives are resolving to recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises. Here's a link to the resolution http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-hr600/text it describes in detail things he did outside the realm of entertainment. Please, let us give some credit where credit is due.

AIDS Project L.A.

American Cancer Society

Angel Food

Big Brothers of Greater Los Angeles

BMI Foundation, Inc.

Brotherhood Crusade

Brothman Burn Center

Camp Ronald McDonald

Childhelp U.S.A.

Children's Institute International

Cities and Schools Scholarship Fund

Community Youth Sports & Arts Foundation

Congressional Black Caucus (CBC)

Dakar Foundation

Dreamstreet Kids

Dreams Come True Charity

Elizabeth Taylor Aids Foundation

Juvenile Diabetes Foundation

Love Match

Make-A-Wish Foundation

Minority Aids Project

Motown Museum

NAACP

National Rainbow Coalition

Rotary Club of Australia

Society of Singers

Starlight Foundation

The Carter Center's Atlanta Project

The Sickle Cell Research Foundation

Transafrica

United Negro College Fund (UNCF)

United Negro College Fund Ladder's of Hope

Volunteers of America

Watts Summer Festival

Wish Granting

YMCA - 28th Street/Crenshaw

Mr Jackson was a huge part of my youth . I am willing to bet he was a hero to those young men who could sing and dance but not play sports or did not fit into the tidy neat categories that jr high and high school seem to force people into. Of course that does not enter one's mind unless you happen to have been that kid... His music was played at my high school prom. I was a member of the first mixed race couple at my local high school prom. Part of the reason it was even remotely safe to try to attend had to do with the cultural phenomenon that was Michael Jackson . I am surprised that I even have to try to explain this but such is the myopic privilege of being caucasian and middle class. If for no other reason he helped young people who had never had a friend of a different race due to geography , ethnocentrism or racism , to envision themselves as being capable of crossing a barrier that still wounds and divides our country. Was he a saint?? No. I do not think there are many around anymore. To deny his importance to the arts , including music, dance and film, is inconceivable. His cultural contributions were enormous as well. If you wish to focus on unproven claims as mitigating against all his achievements as a young black man in our country that is your business. I do not want the public to read this board and think that all people who home educate hold the same positions or beliefs on this and many other matters.

I can't get with statements like "He taught the world how to love" (Jesus did that) and "his music will be remembered forever" (not likely). I'm a big fan of MJ's music and I've enjoyed the musical tributes, but I usually have to change the channel when someone starts making him out to be something more than a very talented, very generous, and very imperfect (as we all are) human being.

No... No way... Nada... Nope!:ack2:

I liked Thriller in the 80s... .he hasn't done much good since... I just dont' get it. The media made him a freak for 20 years.. pedophile... cosmetic surgeries.. hanging kids over balcony.... weird.... marrying Lisa Marie.... on & on...

Now, you would think he was the greatest thing since chocolate cake. Don't get it. People are nuts.

Edited by Dirtroad

Mr Jackson was a huge part of my youth . I am willing to bet he was a hero to those young men who could sing and dance but not play sports or did not fit into the tidy neat categories that jr high and high school seem to force people into. Of course that does not enter one's mind unless you happen to have been that kid... His music was played at my high school prom. I was a member of the first mixed race couple at my local high school prom. Part of the reason it was even remotely safe to try to attend had to do with the cultural phenomenon that was Michael Jackson . I am surprised that I even have to try to explain this but such is the myopic privilege of being caucasian and middle class. If for no other reason he helped young people who had never had a friend of a different race due to geography , ethnocentrism or racism , to envision themselves as being capable of crossing a barrier that still wounds and divides our country. Was he a saint?? No. I do not think there are many around anymore. To deny his importance to the arts , including music, dance and film, is inconceivable. His cultural contributions were enormous as well. If you wish to focus on unproven claims as mitigating against all his achievements as a young black man in our country that is your business. I do not want the public to read this board and think that all people who home educate hold the same positions or beliefs on this and many other matters.

I agree with a lot of what you've said. I think there's a lot of room between denying his cultural importance (which few people here are doing) and marvelling at the "cosmic importance" (I forget who said it here) that some people are giving to this mortal human being. I don't think that's racism (I'm African American) or classism. I think a lot of people are just calling for perspective.

:iagree:

A House Resolution (600)......"I call Michael Jackson the Good Samaritan".....â€miraculous experience to be able to listen and see Michael in actionâ€â€¦â€¦â€the King, yes the King stopped and said I care about youâ€â€¦..â€we are better because Michael Joseph Jackson lived†---speech by Rep Lee.

Have we lost all touch with reality? National hysteria?

I absolutely agree. I think this is due to the media age in which we live. Being constantly surrounded by celebrities of all kinds, it's so easy to get swept away with the fantasy and lose touch reality and keeping our feet planted firmly on the ground.

Janet

:crying:

But somehow I think it was for drama than for anything else. I'm not saying at all she didn't mean what she said or she's not grieving, but was used. NEVER would come the day I'd stick my kid up there for her grief to be publicized. I mean what was the purpose in that? That disgusts me.