Menu

What's up with Ikea?

I had never heard of Ikea until it was mentioned on this board. So many people say they use Ikea desks, storage, etc. Is it mentioned because it is such a good product or because it is a status symbol, like Longaberger baskets were a few years ago.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I am curious. I took a look at their website and many of their kitchen products look interesting. We are planning a kitchen remodel and I was thinking about ordering some of the products. Since my budget is limited I want to buy items that are attractive but will last for years.

I think Ikea is trendy and considered stylish these days but I don't think it's a status thing. I would definitely check them out in person, for the most part I don't think their furniture is well made and I doubt it would last long term.

I have some bookshelves from them (expedit) and they are ok but cheap - laminate covered pressboard.

I like IKEA because it is so cheap and they offer so many storage solutions etc. Even things like kids dishes, toys etc are so cheap it is hard to pass up. Walmart can not give me the deals or selection that IKEA can in a lot of ways. SO no not a status symbol, over all you get what you paid for, in otherwords it is not the strongly built solid wood type stuff, but it does seem to last and is worth the money spent on it.

Definitely NOT a status symbol. Ikea has some stuff that is unique, but mostly it's just inexpensive and nice looking. There is a range, from cheap to good quality. The stores are massive and make a wonderful girls' day out. Visually, it's a fun store to spend time in and you can usually find something that you never knew you needed, but you did!

No, mostly it's *cheap*. Some of the stuff is well-made and will hold up, and some of it isn't (but it might still be a good price for a piece of furniture that will hold up for 3-5 years). One can furnish a house or apartment for a lot less than through other means. There're some cool Scandinavian design elements, and some things you can't find elsewhere... But it mostly comes down to affordability.

What Ikea is *not* is a mail-order company. They have a catalog and a website that carry a few of the items from stores, but not everything, and shipping tends to be sky-high. It's just not really how they operate. Maybe if there's something you can't find elsewhere, it would be worth ordering -- but generally, it's not a great idea. The catalog and website are more like a sampling of what's available, and it's best if you can go into the store. Especially because the quality *does* vary, and it's good to inspect items before you decide what you want to buy.

Over the years, I've had: two Ikea dining sets (both self-destructed after about 3-4 years, with daily but not abusive use); an Ikea sofa, loveseat and upholstered chair that are all holding up well after 10+ years; bookcases that held up (solid wood) till we gave them up in a move (after about three years); bookcases that bowed (pressed board with veneer), but had put up with being severely over-loaded for a couple of years; various kitchen accessories, including a saucepan that I had for years and finally replaced with an identical one, lol; preschool-sized tables and chairs that lasted through those years with my kids; dressers that fell apart disturbingly quickly; organizational tools for office and school room...

And we recently remodeled our kitchen using Ikea cabinets and counter-top. We were very pleased with the quality of the cabinets/drawers/butcher block counter top, and the price was unbeatable.

We bought a wardrobe/armoire from them for the boys, and it is awesome. We've had it for a few years now. My only complaint is that the hardware is so rare that we were not able to replace one of the hinges -- we even looked at European companies.

The stores are massive and make a wonderful girls' day out. Visually, it's a fun store to spend time in and you can usually find something that you never knew you needed, but you did!

I agree--I've been in a store once, and didn't get to see everything. I'd love to go back, but haven't had a chance yet.

No, not a status symbol. Their allure is that they have a mind boggling array of items and for the most part they are cheap. Very popular amoung the college age and newly married. My teens wanted Ikea for their rooms for their Christmas. The nearest Ikea store is in Atlanta. Luckily, my oldest dd lives in Atlanta so she went to the store to get the items for me and she fell in love and now she wants Ikea for next Christmas. She said the store was so big it was like a warehouse mall and they got lost trying to find their way out. I personally don't care for the Scandinavian design so I buy my funrniture at Sam's. Traditional styles, solidly built, real wood for very good prices.

I agree with everything that has been posted so far, and would add that Ikea is a great place to buy kitchen cabinets; they're sturdy, inexpensive, and attractive -- and many Ikea stores have huge kitchen departments, so you can walk into complete kitchen setups with the different cabinet and accessory options, which is a great way to "try before you buy."

Cat

My only complaint is that the hardware is so rare that we were not able to replace one of the hinges -- we even looked at European companies.

Will Ikea send you a replacement hinge, Dawn, or do they sell it in the stores? I know you can get replacement hinges for many of their cabinets.

Of course, they probably have hinges for every wardrobe except the one you bought, right? ;) That's the way those things always seem to work for me... :glare::D

Cat

It's dorm room furniture, slightly better than Wal-Mart or Target. It's nearly all pressboard and pine.

We have tons of Ikea stuff, mainly because they have cutesy ideas on storage. We have bought a couple of kitchen items such as cabinets and an island type thing. I was really happy with it. (Alas, we moved and those items stayed with the house.)

Their bedding (sheets) are really cheaply made but cheap. Ikea is really good for families with young kids or lots of kids. It's stuff that you aren't married to.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already, but almost all of Ikea's furniture needs to be assembled -- even kitchen cabinets. The instructions are just pictures, but they do have an info line to call if you get stuck. If you have a store close-by, it would be good to walk through because the quality does vary. You can buy 100% wood if you keep your eyes open for it. From what I've seen, the kitchen cabinets are an economical choice for what you get, but, again, you will need to assemble each one. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you for all of the replies. I had no idea Ikea had stores! I bet shopping there would make a fun day; the website pictures are so colorful I can only imagine how they have the store displays arranged. Unfortunately the nearest Ikea store is more than 3 hours away so I can't plan on a shopping trip.

Mama2three - thanks for the info on the cabinets. I don't think I could convince DH to buy cabinets that he would need to assemble before installing.

My DD will be going to college in two years so I will keep IKEA products in mind for her dorm room.

My impression is that Ikea has a better selection and is a better quality of cheap. While they're inexpensive and not fancy, they seem to be reasonably durable. Everyone I know who has the Billy bookcases is happy with them, and they seem to be holding up to daily life well. I did look at them and unlike the box set from Staples or Walmart, you can get different "woods," different widths, different heights, and extra shelves or add-on height pieces.

Some friends' kids have Ikea dressers and after 5-10 years (guessing based on kids' age and house age) the mom said the drawer bottoms keep falling out b/c the kids push down on the contents to make the drawers close.

We did not have a sofa or couch for many years. (not worth explaining !) Finally we bought a "futon sofa bed" from Ikea, nearly two years ago. We now have a couch for the family room, and easy-to-provide sleeping accommodations for a guest. Simple design (steel frame), but looks quite nice with a fabric "throw" covering the entire sofa.

We never could have afforded to have anything nice of this type had we shopped elsewhere.

When DS-#1 moved out in January of this year, we bought some of his apartment things from Ikea, including his dining table. Very competitive price for table-and-chairs, and a nice-looking set.

For now, I refer to Ikea as "inexpensive." If our purchases turn out to be losers, only that point shall I shift vocabulary and refer to Ikea as "cheap" !

Definitely NOT a status symbol. Ikea has some stuff that is unique, but mostly it's just inexpensive and nice looking. There is a range, from cheap to good quality. The stores are massive and make a wonderful girls' day out. Visually, it's a fun store to spend time in and you can usually find something that you never knew you needed, but you did!

So true! Even DH loves Ikea. I find their store layouts and catalog very inspiring, design-wise, and I like their minimalist, but still very inviting, style.

Yes, their furniture is not top of the line. BUT, one thing that I do love..They have couches with COMPLETELY removable covers that can be WASHED!!!!

We are in the middle of a kitchen re-do, and we bought the cabinets and counters from IKEA. Yes, you have to assemble them, but I LOVE them!

Their office stuff is delightful! I LOVE to look through their desk section. They just have so many neat ideas. They originate in an area where storage space is at a premium, so they have alot of neat ideas for storage.

I've read alot of reviews about Ikea products, and while most of their stuff has a lifetime of about 10 years, some of the problems have had to do with assembly. DH has built furniture for us, so putting the cabinets together was not a problem, and he probably did stuff that was NOT in the directions. Just like the kids chairs we bought. We used wood glue along with the pegs they came with, to assemble them. That was NOT in the directions. For our countertops (butcher block) he pulled out his biscuit joiner and is joining the peices with the biscuits and glue. They will probably be together forever.

In terms of replacement hardware, you can usually go to the stores and they will give you whatever you need. We've moved so many times with tons of Ikea furniture (mostly shelves, but some other pieces as well) that things have gotten lost. I've never had a problem replacing hardware-type parts by walking in and asking at the customer service/delivery/warehouse department. In fact, we have a lot of Ivar that lives in the school room now--and I'm still using the bag of 1000 metal pegs they gave me for free when I had lost a few. Many of their items are designed to use the same hardware, one reason they can manufacture so cheaply. Another reason is that they are the largest furniture store in the world--still expanding in the US, but I shopped there regularly in Norway and Germany in the early 80's.

Thanks! We did call, but they do not sell hardware for it. ugh

My husband found something that works but it leaves the side agape a little.

Will Ikea send you a replacement hinge, Dawn, or do they sell it in the stores? I know you can get replacement hinges for many of their cabinets.

Of course, they probably have hinges for every wardrobe except the one you bought, right? ;) That's the way those things always seem to work for me... :glare::D

Cat

I don't think I could convince DH to buy cabinets that he would need to assemble before installing.

If you or your dh has ever assembled a bookcase with those little round metal cam things (sorry to get all technical on you ;) ) you can easily assemble the Ikea cabinets. It's a lot quicker and easier than you'd think. Ikea will also help with installation services if you're not into doing it yourself.

The savings on Ikea cabinets are substantial, so you may want to see them before making a final decision. They have in-store setups that show the cabinets in various stages of assembly, so you can see how it's done, and they also offer a DVD that shows how to assemble and install the cabinets.

Cat

We have a number for things from IKEA. The things that have worked well are a hanging thing for stuffed animals, an organizational drawer piece, and some lamps we have. Some chairs we got which were very cheap now don't have a way to attach the seat to the chair. But I paid about 15 or 20 for each and we are on year 6 so I consider it a good deal anyway.

We have several pieces from Ikea:

1.Bunk bed

2.Kitchen table and chairs

3.Bookcases

4.Dining room set

All of these pieces survived 3-4 moves:) I find most Ikea is made well, but some is not. I think it is easy to tell which is sturdy or not. The reason we love ikea is the prices are very affordable:)

If you or your dh has ever assembled a bookcase with those little round metal cam things (sorry to get all technical on you ;) ) you can easily assemble the Ikea cabinets. It's a lot quicker and easier than you'd think. Ikea will also help with installation services if you're not into doing it yourself.

The savings on Ikea cabinets are substantial, so you may want to see them before making a final decision. They have in-store setups that show the cabinets in various stages of assembly, so you can see how it's done, and they also offer a DVD that shows how to assemble and install the cabinets.

Cat

Would the savings be worth it if we have to have them shipped here or travel three hours to pick them up?

Traveling there would be worth the effort if you were buying a serious piece of furniture or planning a kitchen renovation or somesuch.

We bought quite few Ikea things when we moved overseas. The kitchen we had installed was an Ikea kitchen and it was very, very, good but not perfect. I think to get perfect we (actually my husband's company) would have had to pay three times as much. Installation where we were was cheap, because labor is cheap, but it wouldn't be so cheap here.

You really want to strategize before you go there. I'd call and order a catalog and really plan out what you want to look at/ purchase. Otherwise it is so easy to be gobsmacked and end up buying $200 worth of cool, small items that you take home and wonder what in the world you were thinking (I speak from experience here). Get there early and don't go on a weekend!

We bought a couch that was indestructable, and stools that have proven very useful and fun. The bedding there is really funky and inexpensive. The comforters are wonderful.

IKEA comes from Europe where people live mostly in small apartments, therefore need smart solutions for small spaces. IKEA is trying to keep inventing new ideas and is very popular there.

I wish I could have IKEA close to my house....

We buy certain things from IKEA like garage bookshelves, cheap plastic kitchen items, or bath rugs... for cheap prices. But, if it is quality and longitivity, don't buy at IKEA. Their stuff will not last a long time -- especially if you move a lot. Just my opinion.

BTW, you will need a truck or large car to tote home the furniture you buy -- it is in big flat boxes to be assembled at home.

Edited by tex-mex

My DD will be going to college in two years so I will keep IKEA products in mind for her dorm room.

We were at IKEA today and my 12 year old ds mentioned that he couldn't wait to have his own place so he could furnish it with IKEA stuff :D

The stores are a lot of fun to browse through. We have a few odds and ends from IKEA. You should go there sometime and check it out.

I can't say enough good things about IKEA. My office has been decorated with their furniture (I got the idea from some European clients - its standard office furniture there)..Our home has been almost entirely done with IKEA. We used the kitchen cabinets to build computer workspaces in our house - LOVE IT!.. Their options for offices and kitchens are vast..colors, styles, shelving, finishes.. LOVE IT! Is it high-quality, pass on to your children stuff? No, but we don't like stuff like that anyway...Some of the stuff is "cheap", some of the stuff is "inexpensive".. you can tell when you see it... All of our stuff has held up for several moves, my dining room table + chairs for 10 years.. Anyway, can't say enough about them. Their kitchens and office furniture is better quality than some of their other stuff, very sturdy...never had a problem. Putting the stuff together takes an IKEA sense though.. some of the directions miss a step or have it reversed.. once you get the hang of it on a few items, everything else is the same..our last addition - Billy Bookcases took no time at all. Some people love them (us), however people who like formal, strong, hardwood, traditional furniture are NOT going to like them. We also love their kitchen gadgets - cheap and cool. LOVE IT!!

Would the savings be worth it if we have to have them shipped here or travel three hours to pick them up?

I think IKEA is worth a three hour road trip. It is a super fun place to shop (and I typically hate shoping). When DH and I moved to Houston for a couple of years, we went to IKEA every weekend for about the first ten weeks we were there just to look, lol!

We have a dresser and a desk. The desk still looks new after several years. The dresser is showing a little wear after three years, but it could be from assembly issues. However, we couldn't afford a "real" wood dresser when we bought it and I think we'll get several more years out of it. Definitely worth the money.

IKEA is cheap... but also super fun and trendy stuff.

Our whole living room is furnished from IKEA. Most of what we have bought there has held up well - and until recently we had 5 kids living with us!

That being said - they do have a lot of crap there - but it is uber inexpensive and is geared towards those like college kids or people with their first apartments, etc., that are not looking for something they are going to need for more than a couple of years.

Also, since you have to put everything together, remember that if it isn't put together by someone that is good at assembling things, it will end up falling apart no matter what. This is why I have my husband put it all together because I am not very good at it.

We have several Billy bookcases, a tv stand (which we keep the printer and video game consoles on since our tv is mounted to the wall), a Pong chair and matching footrest, and two of the love seats with matching footrests. Now, regarding the love seats (or short couches as my kids call them) - we beat the hell out of them. The first one we bought has held up well, except they get pounded on so much that the middle spring will pop out and my husband has to fix it. The second one we bought was made when they decided to make the love seats easier to flat pack, and they are NOT as sturdy. We had it for about 6 months and the board in the back (2 x 4 or something) snapped. But again, it gets a lot of abuse. My husband spent under $5 and fixed it.

But these are cheap couches, so I would never expect them to put up with the punishment we give them as much as say a $1000 couch would cost.

We also have a lot of plastic dish ware and stone dish ware from IKEA, and other kitchen items.

I need to make a trip to our IKEA store soon, since the kids just broke the 2nd coffee French Press I bought there - good thing they are only $13 a pop!

One thing I don't like is that sometimes you find something you like and then go to buy more and it is gone. We bought these two cool little coffee tables there a few years ago, and wanted to buy two more a year later and they were discontinued. Bummer.

some stuff at IKEA is cheap but careful shopping uncovers gems. the kitchen table i'm sitting at is huge, solid, and i can probably be buried with it. however, their business model is based on DIY and in-store pick up. their online shipping prices are outrageous! if you're buying a lot it's definitely road trip time. the upside is the store is truly fun to be in and, if they are all like the Atlanta store, the cafeteria and snack bar food is excellent and very inexpensive. sometimes if we're in the neighborhood my son and i go to IKEA just for lunch as a special treat. also, i never used it but they do have a supervised childcare playroom for small children.

Yes, I think it would definitely be worth it. You should probably price out the cabinetry locally, too, just to be sure, but I'll bet you'll still save a substantial amount of money by using Ikea cabinets.

If you call or go online, you can get Ikea's free kitchen catalog. It's also available online, but I prefer to have the print version so I can easily flip back and forth between pages and make little notes here and there. The general Ikea catalog has some kitchen stuff, but the specialized catalog is much better!

Cat

We've enjoyed our Ikea finds. Their cheap stuff is way better quality than anything similar at Walmart or Target. You feel like the use you will get out of the piece is equal or better than the price you pay....KWIM?

My favorite thing about Ikea is the fun and funky...I have a spaghetti scoop that has a dragon face on it. Likewise a dish scrubbing brush with a dog's face. Something colorful to make you smile when you use it.

The stores are massive...perfect for a long strolling shopping experience. Try to go on a weekday morning to avoid crowds. Be sure and check out their clearance area for some spiffy 'scratch and dent' stuff.

Is is worth a three hour trip? For us, yes. We had our first IKEA experience when we lived in Brussels... when we came back to Texas the closest store was four hours away. We made a pilgrimage there for some stuff for our son's rooms. It helped that we knew about Ikea, of course. Now, there's a store just a little over an hour away....I feel the need for a shopping trip very soon.

It is worth the 3 hour trip for us:) We have been there multiple times.

The only product I would not recommend is the stoneware dishes and silverware we brought on our last trip. The dishes seem to chip easily and the silverware shows small signs of rust on some of the pieces. However, as I posted previously, we are very happy with the furniture pieces that we picked earlier. I just recommend checking for sturdiness:)

Just made my first visit there on Friday. After reading about the founder in John Taylor Gatto's book and hearing the name so much here, I had to investigate. One of my ds's went with me and we really had a great time. I would call the store a shopping experience.

I saw so many things I loved. We live in a church parsonage but I told my dh I would love to go and design our learning room with their ideas and designs if we ever purchase a home. They had so many great ideas for desks, bookshelves, etc. And...I drooled when I saw the room set up like a library. A couch, nice reading chair with ottoman, wall shelving, oh my!!

One of the things I liked was the removable covers for the loveseats. With pets and kids, that would be a definite plus around here. Our current coach is provided by our church, but it is literally falling apart. I was envious, I'll admit. I loved the contemporary flair of things and really like the designs.

I ended up buying no furniture but some really cool kitchen organizers that hang from a rod on the wall. It was the cutest thing and I paid like $10 for the rod, two metal hanging baskets and glass spice jar package. So many great ideas!!

I'm definitely going back. For the organization addict, of which I am a proud member, IKEA is great. Lots of inexpensive ideas and items. Plus, I don't want the same coach or chair for the next twenty years anyway.