Menu

Not CC... ;)

Does anyone who isn't Christian send their kids to Vacation Bible School? I know it sounds totally backwards and odd, so bear with me. Becca attended a MDO preschool for two years at a local church. Sylvia went there for a few months. I loved it, the girls loved it, they loved us... We left because preschool just wasn't Sylvie's thing and she wanted to be homeschooled too, but inside I miss the director and teachers.

We live in a small town, so if the girls go to VBS they could meet up with some of their friends and former teachers. But... we're not Christian, we don't go to church, and I don't want to teach doctrine of any kind to the girls. I realize that's the point of VBS, but do you think they're young enough to gloss over that part? I'm torn. It doesn't start until the end of July, but I figured it wasn't too early to ask the Hive for thoughts!

(Oh, and as to why as non-Christians we were attending a church-based preschool, it was affordable! The religious aspect was minor and we were just loved. So it was a perfect fit. :))

I think it depends on the VBS. My oldest went to one with our next door neighbor when she was 8 or so. I talked to her everyday afterwards and she did not even notice what they were talking about. She just had fun and played around. But the VBS was very low key with more on the focus of fun vs. preaching.

I don't think I would do it again but for that one time it went fine.

We are not christian in any way.

I can't speak for your particular church, but my old one in NY was completely open to having non-christians. However, the goal was that they would not leave the same way. Now, how much 'doctrine' is really pushed at the children will definately vary. Plus, how much each individual child actually picks up on will also vary. I am a Christian and earnestly hope my children will be too. I am not looking for VBS to convert them though. I remember distinctly when dd was 5 having the VBS teacher give me a certificate stating, "Hannah asked Jesus in her heart today." When I asked dd if she had done that she said no. I was a bit annoyed, b/c I find it hard to believe that a child that young can really understand enough to make a fully informed decision. (I know many here may/will debate that) Anyway, I never fussed about it.

The reason I am saying this is that the teachers or even your dc may say one thing, but at such a young age with limited exposure, I doubt that there is full understanding. However, seeds may be planted that yield a harvest at a later time. KWIM?;)

If I were in your postition, those would be the things I would take into consideration before making a decision to send them. HTH

FWIW, dd made a formal profession of faith at the age of 8. (I think she understood the basic tenants(sp?) of faith enough then. ) Of course she is still learning and growing in faith as we all are.

My honest opinion? Terrible idea. Do you know many VBS programs are specifically designed to target kids like yours? Children who do not hear the word of the Lord? Come now. its all fine and good if you want your children to be taught about Jesus and the way to the Lord but it sounds like that is NOT your intent. I wouldn't take my kids to a VBS unless I wanted them to know Jesus.

But most places it's a missionary activity designed to tell children about Jesus. Every activity will probably be centered on the message - songs, crafts, games, etc.

My children did VBS a couple of years. I can't imagine doing it unless I actually wanted my children to hear the gospel.

My honest opinion? Terrible idea. Do you know many VBS programs are specifically designed to target kids like yours? Children who do not hear the word of the Lord? Come now. its all fine and good if you want your children to be taught about Jesus and the way to the Lord but it sounds like that is NOT your intent. I wouldn't take my kids to a VBS unless I wanted them to know Jesus.

:iagree: THere is a little VBS in the little town near me. Very, very evangelical. No way would I send ds there. There is also a Catholic VBS in another town over. Less heavy on the Jesus, but I still wouldn't send him there.

I mean, the Bible part is right there in the name. I can get why marginally religious or lapsed religious people might send their kids to a VBS, but as a non-religious person, I can't quite justify it no matter how I ponder it.

I'm an atheist and I send my kids to VBS (and catechism and mass). I don't mind them doing the Catholic thing as kids. Dh and I did it and we turned out fine. BUT, I'm not a militant atheist and dh is still a lackadaisical Catholic. I really wouldn't care if they chose to be confirmed or grew up to be practicing Catholics.

I don't think I'd send my kids to an evangelical or fundamentalist VBS. We've done Upward Soccer and although there's not much religious content, I find it a lot harder to deal with. I'm sure it's just a cultural thing because I know Catholicism well and the Baptist pov is very alien to me.

Since you know this church well and already feel comfortable with its culture, I would go ahead and send them. They're young enough to enjoy it without feeling uncomfortable about the religious message and you can teach your own beliefs as they get older.

I think you should trust your instincts on this. I'm not sure how Christian I am at the moment and my daughter seems to be a little atheist in the making but if I was familiar with a local church, comfortable with their program and knew my daughter would have a good time I might send her. I'd have to be prepared to be enourmously embarrassed when the director called me to tell me she was rolling her eyes again or modifying her Bible crafts so they were Harry Potter themed though. :D

We are an athiest family , but my beloved, accepting mother is a loving, thoughtful Baptist who does VBS. I've let all of my children go.

My kids are all older (20-10) and currently identify as atheists (and omnivores lol), but with a good working knowledge and respect toward other folks' beliefs. Among our closest friends, too, are observant Jews, vegans, and Chrtistians-- and we aren't-- and it's OK. (That we don't believe exactly as they do is neither here nor there for us, or them; we enjoy & respect their energy and honesty).

We love learning what other people think, and why, and it's only been hugely enriching to our lives.

Your child would be welcomed I am sure, but as other posters have stated there will likely be a strong emphasis on Jesus. I am a Christian, so I would like that for my children. I guess I look at it this way - I want to teach my children about other religions, but I don't want them to embrace another religion. In the city, I could find great activities with nice people at a mosque or a Buddhist temple - you get the idea. I wouldn't choose to send my children there though because I want to know what they are being taught. I could talk with them afterwards, but that just isn't the same. They would be spending their day with someone who believes something other than what I believe. Although they would be safe and happy, I wouldn't send them because I hold so strongly to my faith. If I were wanting them to explore various faiths and choose a path, then sending them to different events would be a good option.

Your child is different from you and may really enjoy learning about God. If you don't want that... don't send them. It WILL arouse a curiosity and lots of questions.

Which I answer with 'remember how the Greeks/Egyptians/Romans believed that...." .

When one of my dd's heard the story of Sodom & Gomorrah, she cried "I've heard that before! Remember when Medusa and her evil sisters went into the villages to steal food? Anyone who looked at them turned to stone!"

Which I answer with 'remember how the Greeks/Egyptians/Romans believed that...." .

When one of my dd's heard the story of Sodom & Gomorrah, she cried "I've heard that before! Remember when Medusa and her evil sisters went into the villages to steal food? Anyone who looked at them turned to stone!"

yeah well its one thing to teach that "so and so believed that xyz"

Its another thing completely to send your child to an environment like VBS and expect them to keep an adult perspective and detachment in the face of unadulterated indoctrination.

yeah well its one thing to teach that "so and so believed that xyz"

Its another thing completely to send your child to an environment like VBS and expect them to keep an adult perspective and detachment in the face of unadulterated indoctrination.

We'd never be able to read anything if we thought the ideas of others could threaten us. Similarly, we don't think reading Harry Potter will encourage the children to become devil -worshippers anymore than we think reading Noah's Ark will have them thinking all the dinos fit in said ark.

Although, I have to tell you, I would respect my children's choices if they did choose to become religious. They are thinking people, and I know plenty of thinking people who believe in God. I'm not concerned in the least. We are lucky to be surround by diverse folks, and that awesome diversity only enriches our lives.

I don't think belief in God equals stupid...even if I am an atheist. I'm really not worried one bit.

Edited by LibraryLover

The VBS at my former church was very geared towards making Christians of non-Christian children. We had meetings galore before VBS week to train everyone in talking about Jesus the whole time. We had one day set aside as Evangelical Day. Even the preschoolers got the talk about how the only way to get to heaven is through Jesus. We had a finger puppet show that showed how Jesus's light washes away the blood of a sinner. We even had attendance sheets for every day that counted the number of conversions we had each day. We also got the children's addresses so our teachers could spend the week after VBS doing home visits to invite whole families to join Jesus with their child. Just my experiences.

It really depends on the individual program, doesn't it? I wouldn't send my kids to certain VBSs here in town, but we've been going to one in particular for 4 years now and my kids love it. (We are LDS--Christian, but definitely different!) The program focuses on a different Bible story every day, but it's not geared towards proselyting to children who don't go to that church or getting them to profess anything--though obviously it assumes Christian beliefs, what with it being a VBS and all.

So---it depends on the program. They are all different.

I remember going with a friend of mine to a VBS when I was 7 or 8, and it was very different from what I was used to. I found it enjoyable and strange, but not confusing or worrying. I think it was a non-denominational church, slightly Pentecostal in flavor, but I couldn't tell you what.

This thread brings up so many memories... my mom worked while we were growing up, so for several summers she would sign us up for EVERY VBS in town. (it was less expensive than paying for child care). By week 3, when they would ask us on Monday who knew the books of the Bible, my sister and I could rattle them off perfectly. We went to the local mission agency on "field trip day" about 6 times a summer.

I only remember one time being encouraged to "ask Jesus into my heart." I remember thinking, "well, if I haven't, maybe I should," but I can't think of a way that one moment altered my life - it meant nothing to me.

As other posters have mentioned, there are some extremely evangelical VBS's. Sounds like you know the church and are comfortable enough with their level of religion to consider it.

Not CC... ;)

Does anyone who isn't Christian send their kids to Vacation Bible School? I know it sounds totally backwards and odd, so bear with me. Becca attended a MDO preschool for two years at a local church. Sylvia went there for a few months. I loved it, the girls loved it, they loved us...

We live in a small town, so if the girls go to VBS they could meet up with some of their friends and former teachers. But... we're not Christian, we don't go to church, and I don't want to teach doctrine of any kind to the girls. I realize that's the point of VBS, but do you think they're young enough to gloss over that part? I'm torn. It doesn't start until the end of July, but I figured it wasn't too early to ask the Hive for thoughts!

(Oh, and as to why as non-Christians we were attending a church-based preschool, it was affordable! The religious aspect was minor and we were just loved. So it was a perfect fit. :))

ok, I am definitely a Christian but I think i can offer some perspective for your questions:

1. My atheist friends have let their younger kiddos attend various VBS programs for the social aspect, so you're not alone. :D

2. doctrinal content: as a Christian, i have been almost appalled at the lack of actual faith discussed at most VBS programs.

most VBS programs are outreach and push more of a Jesus is your Friend type of thing. If it's a Baptist-type church that also hosts an AWANA program, you might have teachers that will ask children to say The Sinner's Prayer [not my cuppa].

My first question would be the denomination of the church?

Name of VBS program?

Is it a typical 3-hours-in-the-evening type of thing or all day affair?

Can you attend w/ them to catch anything? even as a Christian I am leery of other Christian's interpretations and rules.....

A lot of VBS programs do not have the same 'hands off' attitude like a preschool at the same church. Attending a VBS program basicly says you're interested in being a Christian. Every VBS program I've seen pushes their material directly or indirectly for the purpose of gaining new church members. There is no way to 'gloss over' the material.

I wouldn't do it.

We'd never be able to read anything if we thought the ideas of others could threaten us. Similarly, we don't think reading Harry Potter will encourage the children to become devil -worshippers anymore than we think reading Noah's Ark will have them thinking all the dinos fit in said ark.

Although, I have to tell you, I would respect my children's choices if they did choose to become religious. They are thinking people, and I know plenty of thinking people who believe in God. I'm not concerned in the least. We are lucky to be surround by diverse folks, and that awesome diversity only enriches our lives.

I don't think belief in God equals stupid...even if I am an atheist. I'm really not worried one bit.

I AM religious and I still wouldnt allow my kids to go to many VBS programs. There is a huge discern-able difference between presenting other people's ideas in an intellectually honest way to enrich your view of the world and in presenting Jesus as the Way and the Truth and the Light.

I AM religious and I still wouldnt allow my kids to go to many VBS programs. There is a huge discern-able difference between presenting other people's ideas in an intellectually honest way to enrich your view of the world and in presenting Jesus as the Way and the Truth and the Light.

I get that you're scared. I'm not. :shrug:

The goal of VBS is to teach children the Bible, hence the name Vacation Bible School. If you (general you) expect your children to attend and only have fun making crafts and tossing water balloons, then you're misguided. Send them to a park-sponsored day-camp.

My church does VBS every year and the one and only goal is to share the gospel. It's shared every day of VBS and we make no apology for it. We're a Bible church. The Bible is taught. It's not a manipulation to increase numbers (something my church has never been concerned with) or an evil plot to control children's minds. It's a means to share the gospel of Christ.

I'll never understand why non-Christians would want to send their kids to a VBS, then gripe that their kids heard the gospel. :confused:

I get that you're scared. I'm not. :shrug:

Im not scared. Im not stupid either and I realise that exposing kids to pressure to pray "the Sinner's Prayer" is a real psychological experience for kids that may have consequences down the line for my family.

And as a catholic, Im not interested in my kids getting the very scary messages frequently presented in some VBS regarding hell and ****ation. peer pressure and the pressure to conform are very intense for kids.

Im not scared. Im not stupid either and I realise that exposing kids to pressure to pray "the Sinner's Prayer" is a real psychological experience for kids that may have consequences down the line for my family.

And as a catholic, Im not interested in my kids getting the very scary messages frequently presented in some VBS regarding hell and ****ation. peer pressure and the pressure to conform are very intense for kids.

Time to agree to disagree. You take care of your family, and the rest of us will do the same. Your level of hosiltiy is misplaced here, imo.

Time to agree to disagree. You take care of your family, and the rest of us will do the same. Your level of hosiltiy is misplaced here, imo.

I think you are misinterpreting my posts if you feel Im being hostile. I dont appreciate "you" do this and "the rest of us" will do that comment. I wasn't aware this was me against the WTM board.

The goal of VBS is to teach children the Bible, hence the name Vacation Bible School. If you (general you) expect your children to attend and only have fun making crafts and tossing water balloons, then you're misguided. Send them to a park-sponsored day-camp.

My church does VBS every year and the one and only goal is to share the gospel. It's shared every day of VBS and we make no apology for it. We're a Bible church. The Bible is taught. It's not a manipulation to increase numbers (something my church has never been concerned with) or an evil plot to control children's minds. It's a means to share the gospel of Christ.

I'll never understand why non-Christians would want to send their kids to a VBS, then gripe that their kids heard the gospel. :confused:

Exactly. My mother's program was really loving and gentle. The kids had a great time, came home with a good cultural knowledge of biblical stories, plus tired and dusty from play. (My poor mother has so much patience with us. She has said "You know I will always pray for you". We always say "Thank you. We can use all the prayer we can get).

Of course those VBCs were attended by us over 10 years ago, who knows whether my mother is now torturing little children...:tongue_smilie: She still wishes the kids would be saved, I won't say that isn't her greatest wish. But she gets us.

I do heart my dear mother. She knows we do not believe in the divine Jesus, only the historical one, but her approach to us has been constanly loving and respectful. And rarely brought up by her. She accepts us. I just hope she goes before I do, or there will be a lot of wailing by my death bed.

I would assume that Vacation Bible School would be teaching the gospel from a believer's perspective, and based on the tenets of the host church. In fact, if I discovered VBS was something other than that, I would find it very strange, maybe even a little creepy.

My kids have been to AWANA with friends, various worship services and holiday observances, etc. I wouldn't send them to VBS, though, unless I intended them to learn the gospel from a believer's perspective, based on the tenets of the host church.

My daughter has gone to a couple of these because she had been invited by family members or friends. She was okay with the Catholic one because they seemed to talk about general things like honesty, fairness, etc. However, she came away from another one at a different church with a very negative impression, because she said someone was yelling at the kids about sin and hell. I think I naively assumed VBS was rather tame, when actually they can vary quite a bit in content and approach.

I would probably ask my child why she wanted to go. Is she really just wanting to spend time with friends or other children? If so, then maybe some non-religious camp might better suit the purpose. If she was really wanting to learn about different religions, then maybe a comparative religion study is more the way to go. We've done some of that informally with library books and private conversations with family members and friends of different faiths. We attended a Unitarian Universalist church for a while and they had a children's class on comprative religions, where they had people from other belief systems come in and talk about their beliefs. That was more what we were looking for. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable to send my little one off to someone else's VBS again.

Perhas it is comments like this that give off the impression of hostility.

Its another thing completely to send your child to an environment like VBS and expect them to keep an adult perspective and detachment in the face of unadulterated indoctrination

I am struck by the difference in attitude in another comment, which basically says the same thing, but without the hostility or (perceived) desire to offend

I would assume that Vacation Bible School would be teaching the gospel ... I wouldn't send them to VBS, though, unless I intended them to learn the gospel from a believer's perspective, based on the tenets of the host church.

I have thought long and hard about this very thing. I have decided it isn't what I want for my children. Think about what the goal and purpose is of VBS. It isn't just about having fun. That they make it palatable for non-Christians is part of their tactics. From their perspective that is positive. They firmly believe in Christianity. They want others to believe as well. So I'm not saying they are evil brain washers, but their intentions aren't to be open minded.

This astounds me. There are no "tactics". Yes, they firmly believe in Christianity. It's Vacation BIBLE School. What else to you expect them to believe? I've never been a part of a VBS that the goal was just to have fun. And, I've never been a part of a VBS where we sat around in meetings, rubbing our hands together in maniacal glee, plotting the overtaking of children's minds. Christians are called to share the gospel, even to children. VBS is one way to do that. Churches aren't meant to be social groups (real churches, anyway) and VBS isn't meant to be free day camp for the general public. It's a tool to share the gospel of Christ.

I'm going to speak as one who has directed VBS' and has taught in VBS settings since I was a teen. The point of VBS is to teach children about Jesus. Yes, we have fun and make it as enjoyable as possible but the main thing is to introduce children to Jesus. No, I have never been at or directed a VBS that yells at children or preaches strong hellfire and brimstone.

VBS is kind of like teaching math, we can house in lots of fun and games but the point is still to get our kids to learn their math. In VBS we may house the Word of God in fun and games but the point is still to teach children about God.

I think I would make a decision based on that. I don't send my children to VBS or churches that I don't specifically know the leadership and know specifically what they are teaching because I don't want to have to re-teach my children or fight ideas that we are opposed to.

I'm going to speak as one who has directed VBS' and has taught in VBS settings since I was a teen. The point of VBS is to teach children about Jesus. Yes, we have fun and make it as enjoyable as possible but the main thing is to introduce children to Jesus. No, I have never been at or directed a VBS that yells at children or preaches strong hellfire and brimstone.

VBS is kind of like teaching math, we can house in lots of fun and games but the point is still to get our kids to learn their math. In VBS we may house the Word of God in fun and games but the point is still to teach children about God.

I think I would make a decision based on that. I don't send my children to VBS or churches that I don't specifically know the leadership and know specifically what they are teaching because I don't want to have to re-teach my children or fight ideas that we are opposed to.

Yeah, my mom is an awesome VBC teacher. She is supah sweet. Well, maybe she isn't as good as I think she is. My kids went to her VBC and while they know biblical stories, they are not Christians. Of course, it was no Jesus Camp (talk about an extreme).

Of course, my oldest (now 20) went to Jewish preschool, and he's still not considered converting. lol

I don't know. Anything can be horrible, even VBC , but I am sure the majoirty of VBC for little ones is stories, graham crackers, "Jesus Loves You', and bead crafts.

Edited by LibraryLover

... but I am sure the majoirty of VBC for little ones is stories, graham crackers, "Jesus Loves You', and bead crafts.

You just couldn't be more misguided...:D

Today we still call them "Vacation Bible School cookies" and they are round with scalloped edges and a hole in the middle and the crafts overwhelmingly favored macaroni noodles. Graham crackers were much too upscale, I guess. And with the number of kids who routinely ingested the paste, I guess they feared we'd choke on the beads too. :lol:

Tactic might be too harsh of a word. But I think you have proven my point. That they have a goal. And that goal is beyond just giving kids a place to be in the summer.

Absolutely. Why in the world would you assume otherwise? I have never, ever been a part of, or even heard of a VBS who's goal was to provide free day care for the community. Seriously, have you completely missed the point of VBS? It was NEVER created to be a free day care for people's kids. It's goal is to share the gospel. It's from a CHURCH. It's not a social program; it's a CHURCH program. What part of that is confusing? I'm not being snarky, I'm just absolutely shocked that anyone would be offended or confused that a CHURCH's summer program for kids would not focus on what the church teaches and believes.

As I said before, if someone wants day care for their kids in the summer, find a day camp through the local parks department. But don't get all worked up over the gall of a church to actually teach what it believes.

So let me backpeddle here. Are there really VBCs doing fire and brimstone screaming at little kids?

Well, yes, I think there was at this particular one, although I am sure it is probably not the case at most or all of them. My daughter's friend invited her to this one, and her mother was helping with it. The mom actually apologized to me afterwards because she said she didn't realize they'd be doing this kind of thing with the kids. I wasn't there, but having two kids and a parent who were all there confirm it indicates to me there is a good possibility this had actually occurred. This may have been a VBS anomaly, but it has sure given me pause about sending my child to any more of these.

Well the VBS around here do a lot of LOUD advertising. FREE SUMMER FUN!!! A FREE SAFE FUN PLACE FOR YOUR KIDS THIS SUMMER!!! EVERYONE WELCOME!!! If they simply wanted to celebrate their beliefs with like minded people they wouldn't do this. Part of their goal is to promote their religious beliefs (to non believers as well). I'm saying to the person who started this thread to keep that in mind. That it is more than just a fun safe place for her kids this summer.

Would you want to send your children to my FUN freethinker camp?

Ok, I'm going to say this again: CHURCHES promote what they believe. One of the goals of a CHURCH is to share the gospel to unbelievers of the gospel of Christ. VBS is for both the children of the attenders of that church, as well as anyone else who wants to come. Yes, VBS is fun. VBS isn't about "celebrating beliefs with like-minded people", it's about SHARING THE GOSPEL. (not yelling; emphasizing)

And, to answer your question, absolutely not. But I don't think it takes a neurosurgeon's education to figure out that the Church of Freethinking is going to be promoting their philosophy in their VBS. World view is always woven into teaching, regardless of what that teaching is. It can't be separated, no matter how hard you try. It's part of who people are.

Perhas it is comments like this that give off the impression of hostility.

I'm not sure why my comment would give you the impression I have hostility toward VBS. I was replying to the OP's speculation as to what they might teach, and her comment that she is not interested in her children being immersed in doctrinal topics.

I have no objection to churches teaching their doctrine - that would just be assumed, wouldn't it? I do think it's slightly delusional to hope otherwise, as other respondents - of varying religious backgrounds (including Michelle, above) - have pointed out, in the context of vacation Bible school. Something titled "Children's Summer Camp" might be different, but I think the name "Vacation Bible School" sets a pretty clear expectation. No hostility here. ;)

Absolutely. Why in the world would you assume otherwise? I have never, ever been a part of, or even heard of a VBS who's goal was to provide free day care for the community. Seriously, have you completely missed the point of VBS? It was NEVER created to be a free day care for people's kids. It's goal is to share the gospel. It's from a CHURCH. It's not a social program; it's a CHURCH program. What part of that is confusing? I'm not being snarky, I'm just absolutely shocked that anyone would be offended or confused that a CHURCH's summer program for kids would not focus on what the church teaches and believes.

As I said before, if someone wants day care for their kids in the summer, find a day camp through the local parks department. But don't get all worked up over the gall of a church to actually teach what it believes.

:confused: I hope you're not referring to my original post. I'm not offended or confused as to the point of VBS. I'm certainly not trying to use it as "free day care." I just thought the girls might enjoy seeing some of their friends and old teachers and wondering how much of an impact the overall message might have on them (since they're still young).

For what it's worth, I think the program is a few hours in the evening for about a week, and the church is local but enough of a drive to where I'd probably just hang out and read rather than go home or run errands. And I wouldn't consider sending them to VBS at any church but this one, since we have a "history" there.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

You just couldn't be more misguided...:D

Today we still call them "Vacation Bible School cookies" and they are round with scalloped edges and a hole in the middle and the crafts overwhelmingly favored macaroni noodles. Graham crackers were much too upscale, I guess. And with the number of kids who routinely ingested the paste, I guess they feared we'd choke on the beads too. :lol:

:lol: No matter what the disucssion, no matter where they go, or if I disagree, I have to say that I lovelovelove these boards. :grouphug:

Well the VBS around here do a lot of LOUD advertising. FREE SUMMER FUN!!! A FREE SAFE FUN PLACE FOR YOUR KIDS THIS SUMMER!!! EVERYONE WELCOME!!! If they simply wanted to celebrate their beliefs with like minded people they wouldn't do this. Part of their goal is to promote their religious beliefs (to non believers as well).

I've worked with VBS for many years and it's always been an outreach ministry, not a place to celebrate with the like-minded. We've never set as a goal to convert those confirmed in their different beliefs, but rather to offer a sanctuary to those in the community searching for something. Many people are brought to church through their children's desire for a church related activity, and VBS is a means to facilitate it while allowing the kids to have a fun and creative summer outlet.

I agree that it's not a free summer daycare program and should not be used as such. A few years ago I had one child in my class who refused to pray or even show respect while others did. He covered his ears and hummed. He wouldn't sing and tore up any projects that involved crosses or other religious symbols. When asked, he said his mom wouldn't let him do any of these things. Our next obvious question was why did she send him and insist he not participate. He named three other churches who also asked him the same thing and rudely informed us he was tired of telling people that his mom didn't want to pay for summer daycare for him. I could tell he was uncomfortable with having to act differently from his peers. I confirmed this from a couple of other women from the other churches.

Daycare is not the goal of VBS. Many people have a genuine desire to know more about God and VBS opens a door for the family. Some people have a need for something in their life and VBS can be the beginning of fulfillment through Christ. Please consider the purpose of VBS and decide to send your children accordingly. Don't make them feel uncomfortable with their peers by not allowing them to participate in the activities that do not fit. Rather send them where they can fully participate, be it daycamp from the parks dept. or the Y, or another type of VBS.

Would you want to send your children to my FUN freethinker camp?

Oh crap, Wendy, lol you reminded me of something. We were members of a UU church for abouit 18 years and they did programming for little kids. I remember we went to one Summer Solstice chilldren's gathering, and a couple of the teachers came up to me very upset that my 3 yr old left the solstice circle incorrectly and ruined the 'energy' of it. "If you're going to be here, you need to watch her better!".

So even 'free thinker' programs can have their issues.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Well, actually the short answer pretty well covered it. I have let DD go to Sunday School a few times, when she was 3 and 4 years old, mostly because either my mom or my friend T was watching her, and they were going to church, so... at 3 or 4 she pretty much just though it was fun, the actual religion stuff was completely beyond her awareness.

Now, in early elementary? No. I wouldn't let her go to a VBS or to Sunday School. I MIGHT let her attend something special, such as if she was invited to a friend's baptism or other milestone ritual, but only with me going along as well to explain things, help her know how to behave in an unfamiliar social setting, and shield her from any prostelyzing attempts.

Once she's older and has a good grounding in our faith, I plan on us doing a rather extensive comparative religions type home course. We'll probably visit friends' churches then, and explore any religions she is curious about, to learn about their basic beliefs and history. At that point, she'll be free to make her own judgement calls about such things, with my guidance and feedback. In time I want her to find her own way, after all. But not when she's young and impressionable. If she came back from a visit with Christian friends or family and announced she'd been "born again" or "found Jesus" as a preadolescent...I'd be livid. So we just won't go there.

Back to the short form: No one gets a shot at schooling, converting, or brainwashing my kid until I've had my fair shot as her mother at her formative years.