Menu

Human Trafficking

Janeway

I cannot believe how rampant it is. And how inadequate our laws are at stopping it.

Here is THE official definition

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html?ref=menuside

Now I see it all around me. Ok, I SEE it sometimes, but read about it in the news and such more. Here is what is going on in just my sleepy suburb right now. Over the last couple of years, women are showing up in parking lots begging for money. Sometimes, they have children in tow. These children are not always their own. When they have been approached by anyone from people around town, managers at the stores, or police officers, etc, a local pastor, they do not want rent paid directly to their place they are renting. They do not even seem to want groceries given to them. They just want money. It seems the police have figured out that these women are being forced, at least a portion of them, by someone else to beg for the money and hand it over. HOWEVER, apparently, our laws here, in Texas, do not allow for the police to intervene unless the woman wants help. They can offer help, but unless the woman admits the problem and says she wants help, they can't do anything. There are laws allowing the authorities to take action in domestic violence cases, but these are not considered domestic violence. EVEN if the women have broken bones and bruises, the police cannot force anything on them to help them. A person who is being trafficked would be scared to speak up and consent to help because of the reprecussions they would face from the one who is trafficking them. ALSO, there isn't much the authorities have to give for help. The local police do not have a way to help them really. The person will likely end right back up in the same situation, except likely worse off, if they speak up.

Now, in the news yesterday, right here in my county, there were a lot of arrests for this, but specific to sex human trafficking. Apparently, the authorities have said they have been aware of things for a long time, but their hands are tied.

By the way, about the women in our town begging, there are people who do not live here. They came from far away and generally do not have any sort of identification. We do not have public transportation here nor are we walking distance to anything. Therefore, they had to have been driven here. Or I guess they could have driven themselves and left the ID in the cars. 

This is an issue I have become quite concerned about recently. I cannot think of anything I could do to help. I know warnings have been given out to not give any money to these people. If they make no money off it, they will stop trying to do it. But ultimately, there will always be someone who gives money to make themselves feel better. Or perhaps who does not realize what the situation is.

I think some things that would help is more shelters and funding to shelters. AND making illegals who actually help put away the traffickers immune to deportation. Make them some sort of protected class so they do not have to fear putting the traffickers away. 

• Like 1

I live in AZ, the state #1 in Human Trafficking. Isn't that lovely?

And our border-wall issue isn't helping! It annoys me when people who actually live in AZ

don't think we need a solid, well-guarded border wall on our southern border but it really rankles

me when people who DON'T live here spout their opinion on why we don't need a border wall.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the women with children begging for money. We don't see too

many women beggars here, mostly men. I'm pretty sure one or two busy intersections in town have

a panhandler schedule. Seriously. DH and I even saw a "changing of the guard" a couple years ago.

I'm beginning to see more young people (late teens?) out panhandling on the exit ramps of the freeway.

Now that we've been talking HT, I'm going to start paying closer attention to see if I can find out what's really going 

on, and if it's human trafficking related. I have my own, very NOT nice and highly un-Christian thoughts, about what

should happen to people who think they have the 'right' to sell other people as though they were property.

• Like 7

We have a regionally famous woman here who begs. She makes over 6 digits a year in cash, non-taxable because it is not recorded. It is an extremely lucrative business. As long as people are willing to give cash to beggars, the problem will continue. This is not a police problem, but a society problem. I live in a tourist area, so we have many beggars making an exorbitant amount of cash. I would do it myself, if I didn't already have another job. Easy money.

• Like 4

One problem with human trafficking is how hard it is to know what is really going on. There was a woman who was prostituting herself by the sandwich shop I used to own. It took me some time to figure it out, but I did. She looked so miserable, but  I didn't know to do anything. Later it was on the news that her children had been kidnapped in another city and were being held by the kidnappers and she was being forced to do this because she was told her children would be killed if she didn't. There were actually three of these women in the neighborhood who were being threatened into prostitution, although I only saw one. It was very horrible. 

• Like 1

We have a huge problem in our area with panhandlers all the sudden.  There was a news story that made the rounds here last summer about a panhandler who came here from somewhere in the south and bragged on FB about how they were making between 600-800 a day.  They figured they'd never have to get a real job with how much they were making!

Ever since then, there have been panhandlers on every other corner, and more recently there have been a few locals holding up anti-panhandler signs suggesting that those who claim they are in need, actually aren't.  I do wonder how long it will be before someone presents an ordinance against this activity.

However, your posting here gives me pause and makes me wonder more about the women I've seen holding signs.  Are they like that first girl with the FB post or are they victims of human trafficking?  Either way, none of them want food or drink, they just want cash.  

I regularly offer food (fruit, granola bars, meat sticks) to panhandlers and they regularly refuse it. I know human trafficking is a problem but I think most of these people are just homeless and drugs are a big issue. Very sad all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Professional panhandlers are what we see, as well as very organized theft rings. Panhandlers want cash, may have small children and a woman with them.Do not want shelter, food, or water, just cash. Theft rings...we are advised not to interact, just call PD.

Hmm. I once saw a woman and children in front of a walmart. I didn't to give them money so I offered food. The woman really didn't want the food, she wanted a gift card or money. I was kind of insulted and gave them a sandwich. Looking back it could have been that she was part of a bigger operation, but another thought I had was she wanted money for diapers or something. I don't think her English was that good.

• Like 1

We live in Colombia and the government here is trying very hard to reduce or eliminate this. They are so strict about international  travel with Minors, that our trip to the USA at the end of April 2016 almost ended in the Cali airport, at 230 A.M., because we did not have a copy of the Colombian Birth Certificate for DD, showing that my wife and I are her parents.  A 3 cent photocopy I could easily have had made, had I anticipated that.  Fortunately, my wife had put a copy of that in an Album that is in the Living Room and fortunately my Stepson and his wife came here directly from the airport, after dropping us off there.  They took a photo of it and sent that by email or WhatsApp and then then the Avianca Ticket Agent who was helping us  gave us the Boarding Passes to go to Bogota and there we had 2 or 3 copies printed out. Possibly she also gave us the Boarding Passes to go from Bogota to Orlando, when we were in Cali,  If not, we got them in Bogota.

NOTE: Other than that Birth Certificate, I cannot think of anything else  that has our names on it, showing we are her parents, with the exception of the U.S. equivalent of a Birth Certificate that she has. 

One parent travelling internationally with a Minor here would have big issues, unless they have all of the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

Also:  here, in Immigration, in Departures and  in Arrivals, Foreigners and Citizens go through different lines.  My wife and DD  are Colombian citizens, so they went through that line.  I went through the line for Foreigners when we were Departing Colombia and after apologizing for not having the U.S. Passport that has my Colombian Visa stamped into it (that was in 1994) with me, I was released. As soon as I was released, my wife had me go to where she and DD were, because they were waiting for me, before letting DD travel internationally.  

Other countries are probably far more lenient than Colombia is about this and that is very sad for the victims of the traffickers.  

We've seen people in nice luxury vehicles drop off and pick up the panhandlers around here. I have no idea if the panhandlers are forced into it or if they are all working together but someone is making boatload of money

I haven't seen a luxury vehicle do a drop off, but a few months ago I saw a woman drop off a man and a small child on  a corner. He had a sign, the kind beggars/panhandlers usually have. It was a brand new looking Kia or Hyundai, and as well as I could tell the woman who dropped them off appeared to be very polished and dressed professionally, as if she were headed to an office job. It seemed pretty obvious she was the wife/SO/mother of the child -- lots of blowing kisses and waving as she let them out and drove off.

But to give them the benefit of the doubt--The car could have been borrowed and she could have been on the way to an interview.

Edited by Pawz4me

I know the mayor of the city of Houston has issued many statements asking people NOT to give to panhandlers or anyone approaching them for money. He said to instead donate the money to the organizations set up to help those in need. I wish more people would do that as it's a huge problem as soon as we cross into Houston. Of course you're also being accosted by kids "sports teams" who (with their parents) have now taken to begging for money on corners while wearing their uniforms which is a whole other issue......what happened to fund raisers?!? But anyway, I know trafficking is a huge problem in Houston as well. I don't "see" it where I live but I read about it on the news. Our local police force shuts down any type of solicitation instantly so we have to drive out of our town to see the panhandling, but I know Houston has bigger problems than this for police to deal with. They're dealing with the illegal brothels popping up to exploit illegal immigrants who were taken advantage of by the people who helped bring them here. There are ugly sides to open borders and lax security and this is definitely one.

There is panhandling/begging and then there is forcing people into it. I have not noticed more or suspicious activity with panhandling but sex trafficking is unfortunately happening here as we are situated near a major interstate. I have attended a few conferences on this issue and it is mind boggling how little law enforcement can do.

The local district attorney and her husband are heavily involved as he is with the FBI task force on human trafficking. The spoke at the conference and mentioned websites specifically set up for sex trafficking where women's pictures are posted like merchandise.

When parents of young women find their children on one of these websites, they are hopeful and approach law enforcement who can do nothing until the woman is ready to press charges. Of course, the women are so tightly controlled and monitored that there would be virtually no opportunity to talk to law enforcement without severe repercussions.

Evidently a fairly common "recruitment" tactic was to send a young woman around places where other young women hang out and tell them about a "fantastic money making opportunity." When someone shows interest they have them come to a truck stop in the evening...

Tell your daughters about this because evidently not everyone who gets sucked into this horror owes some drug debt or were involved in something shady. It is presented as a legit and lucrative job until the women arrive to check it out.

The reason this tactic was discovered was because one young girl was recruited this way and a trucker at the truck stop noticed something going on. She was trying to leave. He stepped in and they asked him if he "wanted" her. He said "Yes" and took her into his truck, then asked her what was going on, called her parents to pick her up and filed a police report. Needless to say all names or "contact" info she had been given were a dead end.

Edited by Liz CA

Our panhandlers, and then aren't all that many, are mostly homeless or people living in very low rent housing. They are mentally ill and/or alcoholics. Apparently they like to hang around the Walmart closest to us and I don't go there. It used to be in a more visible area but now moved to an area behind other buildings so I don't see them. I do see them walking down the street with alcohol in a bag and drinking. I do know that a massage parlor/nail salon in a neighboring city was busted for prostitution and human trafficking. The slaves were Asians but I don't remember from which country. They were also illegals but I am not sure what happened to them.

In San Francisco's tourist areas, many ask for cash for drugs and booze and cigarettes. I have seen people buy cigarettes or beer for them instead of giving cash. They would usually take a fast food burger or store bought cling wrapped sandwich too.

In San Jose downtown, many ask for cash for drugs. They are less keen on food.

Human trafficking usually have gangs backing them. That is why vice squad and SWAT usually coordinate for a sweep.

Sex trafficking won't disappear until the *demand* for it disappears. I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Johns. They need to be caught and persecuted harshly.

Sex trafficking won't disappear until the *demand* for it disappears. I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Johns. They need to be caught and persecuted harshly.

It seems like every month or so in my state there is a big news story about yet another sex ring busted up.  And all I can think of when I read that is *who* the heck keeps on frequenting these "businesses" that it's SO prolific.  It's so incredibly sad, and the reality is that I probably don't want to know, because it's probably a lot more people that I come in contact with on a daily basis than I think it is. 

• Like 6

It seems like every month or so in my state there is a big news story about yet another sex ring busted up. And all I can think of when I read that is *who* the heck keeps on frequenting these "businesses" that it's SO prolific. It's so incredibly sad, and the reality is that I probably don't want to know, because it's probably a lot more people that I come in contact with on a daily basis than I think it is.

The marketing director for Christianity Today was arrested for underage solicitation a few months ago. It was a sting operation conducted by local authorities and Homeland Security. It's all so disturbing.

... AND making illegals who actually help put away the traffickers immune to deportation. Make them some sort of protected class so they do not have to fear putting the traffickers away.

...The slaves were Asians but I don't remember from which country. They were also illegals but I am not sure what happened to them.

Just an side thought - It's a small thing, but I felt it was worth throwing out for consideration.

When we call people "illegals", we put a particular picture of them into people's minds (that they are bad people, that they have deliberately and of their own free will done something wrong, etc.), making it harder to advocate that these particular "illegals" might have a complex history that might call for some sensitivity when assessing their future in this country. When we put the human being first - "person who is here illegally", for example - we leave some space to fill in their story. I'm not asking y'all to be obsessive about it, but rather asking that you play around with the words a bit, thinking about if and how different ways of referring to people might change your initial impression of them.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 7

It is everywhere and heartbreaking. It takes a lot of forms from the coyote that provides migrant workers to the dairy farmer who pays them $3.00 an hour and treats them as prisoners, to the guy who was just arrested in our area for listing his two year old daughter for sale on craigslist.

I hate the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the constitution. I am all for sentencing them to life mining granite with a teaspoon in the Yukon Territory with nothing but hard biscuits and nasty swamp water to sustain them!

I couldn't agree more. 

I give money regularly to those who rescue & help rehabilitate the victims of sex trafficking. I read the newsletters and e=mails they send out. The stories horrify me. Abosolutely. Horrify. Me. 

Young girls - we're talking 12 or 13 or 14, forced to have sex with 15 men a day, day after day after day, months on end. In MANY countries this occurs - Middle East, Asia, India, almost-you-name-it. 

In my mind, I just keep thinking: where the hell do all these sick, perverted men come from? I mean, seriously? I just can't wrap my mind around the demand, all those men in all those places. 

It's hard on the soul to even think about it. 

• Like 4

Years ago I read an article about panhandlers in Europe. The author had noticed that often the panhandlers had an infant and the infant was *always* sleeping. Because that was so odd, they did some digging and discovered that often the infants were "borrowed" and then drugged so they would sleep throughout the day. Because women with babies garnered much more sympathy and therefore earned more money.

I have never seen that here, but it did make me think twice about giving to panhandlers. If the situation feels right, I have still given money. But, as a pp mentioned, I think it is better to support those programs that offer assistance.

Edited by DesertBlossom

In my mind, I just keep thinking: where the hell do all these sick, perverted men come from? I mean, seriously? I just can't wrap my mind around the demand, all those men in all those places. 

It's hard on the soul to even think about it. 

There was something called "Sex tourism" where they flew men in for that specific purpose. I would not be surprised if it's a flourishing website. And yes, the soul is burdened. Perhaps it needs to be so we can effect some change. We are raising the next generation of men after all.