Menu

Minimalist Challenge: Homeschooling from a Carry-on Suitcase

I actually checked what would fit in a carry-on. I had to skip the music and Saxon Algebra 2. I have to roll up Classics of Children's Literature in to a sausage, but because of it's super thin pages, it's possible. The suitcase is HEAVY!!!! Even though there is some empty space around the edges, I wouldn't try and use it for paper or anything with any weight at all.

So, I guess post 20 is my final list.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540154-minimalist-challenge-homeschooling-from-a-carry-on-suitcase/?do=findComment&comment=6151307

• Like 2

My kids are 1, 3, and 6, and we lean toward unschooling. With that in mind, we'd pack ...

- Primary Grade Challenge Math

- Flash Kids Problem Solving Grades 2, 4, 6 (tiny books, but DD1 thrives on math challenges)

- Alpha-Phonics OR The Reading Lesson

- Nora Gaydos Level 1 & 2 readers (one set per level)

- DK New Children's Encyclopedia

- Usborne Science Encyclopedia

- The Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature

- The Year at Maple Hill Farm

- 20th Century Children's Book Treasury

- The Children's Treasury of Virtues

- Poems to Learn by Heart OR The Random House Book of Poems for Children

- International Children's Bible

- D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

- A Street Through Time

- DK Geography: A Visual Encyclopedia

- The Elements of Style

- Boogie Board (to conserve paper)

- Barrel of Monkeys (counting, comparisons, motor skills)

- Mudpuppy Landmarks of the World puzzle (pieces in a quart Zip-loc bag to save space)

- Math Dice

- Zoologic

- deck of cards

- a bag of Lauri alphabet avalanche letters (at least two complete alphabets along with extra vowels and high frequency consonants; consonants in one color and vowels in another)

- Hoehner xylophone (small, decent musical quality, and virtually indestructible)

- Stockmar Modeling Beeswax (lasts longer than Play-Doh and takes up less space)

- Lyra colored pencils & pencil sharpener

- at least one small Artec block set

- basic LEGO building set

- Rainbow People Mover for the little guy (color recognition, fine motor work, sorting, and counting in a convenient ten-frame configuration)

Believe it or not, if I take games/LEGO out of boxes and store in Zip-loc bags, I actually can get all of this in my largest carry-on. I wouldn't want to have to carry it, but it will fit.

ETA: Given the questionable circumstances that surround this exercise, I should probably add an SAS Survival Guide and a pocket copy of the U.S. Constitution. I'll also toss in a measuring tape and a box of chalk.

• Like 6

Okay, I added a Bible. This one.

Trinitarian Bible Society KJV Ruby Text with Metrical Psalter. It fits in the hole. It's the one my boys were raised on and the favorite of many of my homeless students. I've been buying this Bible over and over and over for 2 decades. I guess it belongs on my list.

http://www.tbsbibles.org/shop.php?sess=dmAhOXllIChoeig8ZHQsOTw%2BdWcnJzIgPXZ6SVsgPkktdXYhPmB0MyB6aic%2FdHk4IWBrJg%3D%3D

• Like 2

My kids are 1, 3, and 6, and we lean toward unschooling. With that in mind, we'd pack ...

- Primary Grade Challenge Math

- Flash Kids Problem Solving Grades 2, 4, 6 (tiny books, but DD1 thrives on math challenges)

- Alpha-Phonics OR The Reading Lesson

- Nora Gaydos Level 1 & 2 readers (one set per level)

- DK New Children's Encyclopedia

- Usborne Science Encyclopedia

- The Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature

- The Year at Maple Hill Farm

- 20th Century Children's Book Treasury

- The Children's Treasury of Virtues

- Poems to Learn by Heart OR The Random House Book of Poems for Children

- International Children's Bible

- D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

- A Street Through Time

- DK Geography: A Visual Encyclopedia

- The Elements of Style

- Boogie Board (to conserve paper)

- Barrel of Monkeys (counting, comparisons, motor skills)

- Mudpuppy Landmarks of the World puzzle (pieces in a quart Zip-loc bag to save space)

- Math Dice

- Zoologic

- deck of cards

- a bag of Lauri alphabet avalanche letters (at least two complete alphabets along with extra vowels and high frequency consonants; consonants in one color and vowels in another)

- Hoehner xylophone (small, decent musical quality, and virtually indestructible)

- Stockmar Modeling Beeswax (lasts longer than Play-Doh and takes up less space)

- Lyra colored pencils & pencil sharpener

- at least one small Artec block set

- basic LEGO building set

- Rainbow People Mover for the little guy (color recognition, fine motor work, sorting, and counting in a convenient ten-frame configuration)

Believe it or not, if I take games/LEGO out of boxes and store in Zip-loc bags, I actually can get all of this in my largest carry-on. I wouldn't want to have to carry it, but it will fit.

Wow.  That's a lot of stuff.  Can my cousin meet your cousin and we bunk together?  :lol:   I'll help you carry. 

• Like 2

Uh, each of my son's school stuff lives in a backpack already. My younger son's is a small one, the older son's is larger.

In my younger son's bag right now (age 6, kindergarten year):

First 1000 words in Latin

What your Kindergartener needs to know

Magic schoolhouse fossil set

Math in Focus 1 Workbooks

a few math manipulative

a container of crayons and pencils

paper

a few early reader books of his choice and a book about MLK

In my older son's (IIRC):

iPad

The Art of Problem Solving

Lial Algebra

History Alive Medieval World

BioZone Genes and Inheritance Modular Workbook

Two Miserable Presidents

Several spelling bee prep books from Hexco academy and his word binder and cards

several books of his own choosing

Glencoe Geography book with workbook

paper

pens and pencils

Camera

My bag has:

Teach your Child Shakespeare

We go to the library and park to study a lot so I keep everything portable.

• Like 2

As long as there was power I would go with the iPad as there is a lot I could do even without internet access.

If there was a chance of no power I would grab some blank paper and pencils, a bible and some books of story tales and myths.

My kids are at a level where I could do a ton of education without books still, and while I'd like some good novels I know the fairy tale and myth books will provide more fodder for stuff to play with.

The bible would be mostly for me to calm my nerves.

That said, in our recent evacuation I didn't take any school books at all. That didn't even cross my mind.

Eta I would probably forget a pencil sharpener!!!

• Like 2

I'm not happy about leaving behind Saxon Algebra 2. I'm not sure if I'd rather leave behind more lower level math to have room for more upper level math. I'm glad this isn't real.

Some of the room in my carry-on is taken up with the rods for the handle and wheels. It's a super sturdy carry-on, though, that actually can hold heavy books. I could easily fit in a couple more book with a different carry-on, but I might not be able to roll or lift it.

Vickjul's list is long, but looks like it will fit, easier than my much shorter one. Especially in my carry-on with a very awkward interior. The more I think about my carry-on, the more I realize how badly it is shaped for holding books.

It's been a long time since we had a minimalist challenge. I think it's time for a new one.

A distant cousin that works for an unnamed secret government agency shows up at your door. He says to pack one carry-on suitcase of books and educational supplies, but no more. He says he can't tell you where he is taking you, why, or for how long. You cannot leave the house to go shopping and can only bring what you already have.

What would YOU pack?

I'll play, if you answer these questions:

This distant cousin of mine, will he help me teach, since he's whisking us away? What does he know? Government and Economics? Math and Science? Poker and Mandarin?

This unnamed location, does it have free Wi-Fi and good coffee? Or at least a way to recharge electronic devices? Warm, sunny beaches? Interesting flora and fauna? If it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study yaks and yurt construction, this would influence what I pack.

And, can I wait for CLE Math to arrive in the mail if I've already ordered it, or does it have to be in the house now? Does the library full of books have to be on my Kindle now? ;) Or can I drug my cousin unconscious, and download things in the night?

• Like 4

oh, I love these threads. For my purposes, I'm assuming high school level and above. I just bought a carryon bag, so I'm trying to envision what will fit in it. 

Laptop & Tablet

Wheelock's Latin

Entre Amis - French

Genki Japanese

Russian Step by Step

Dictionaries to above language books

Complete Shakespeare

Corbett's Classical Rhetoric

R&S English 7

Sources of the Western Tradition (vol 1 &2)

Boorstin Trilogy (Creators, Discoverers, and Seekers)

Iliad, Odyssey, & Aeneid 

A Philosophy book (not sure which one)

Dolciani Algebra I & II (60s)

Stokstad's Art History (1 & 2)

Literature Anthology (which ever one would fit)

The Sciences textbook

Bulfinch's Mythology

notebooks, journals, pens, pencils, markers

I'd need a wheeled carryon for sure. 

• Like 6

Only stuff I already have in my house? For four relatively widely spaced kids? For totally unknown circumstances where standard college prep education may or may not be useful?

All readily portable computing devices and necessary charging equipment, containing everything remotely educational that I've ever downloaded. They're pretty compact, and I could do pretty much everything off that alone, if necessary and available. And, incidentally, all the family pictures and stuff. Might get rid of duplicates (only one notebook computer, skip a few of the kindles).

Saxon Algebra 1/2, College Accounting, Cartoon Guide to Statistics, Family Math, Knowing Mathematics 6 (basic overview of all elementary math in a thin workbook), and one of the compact books of useful formulas. Of the stuff we actually have, that seems the best bet for putting together a math curriculum that isn't computer-reliant. It's more about telling me what we need to cover than something for them to actually work through. I'd prefer a college Developmental Math textbook to replace Saxon and probably Accounting, but I'd be lying if I said I had one on hand. I'd drop Accounting if I needed more room. I'd really like a resource that covers algebra/geometry/trig, but we don't happen to have that on hand.

World Atlas. We might need maps. Ideally, combined with a world almanac, but I don't think we have one. Would drop this if I needed space, since it is kind of big, and I don't feel like our compact atlas has good enough maps to be worth the space.

College Biology textbook. Cartoon guides to various sciences. College level pathophysiology book. Whichever of our farm books (or book collections) seems most scientifically oriented. Compact plant identification guide.

SOTW. Cartoon guide to US History. College World History textbook should space allow.

The books from Hooked on Phonics and our treasury of easy to read stories. Would drop this if computer access could be assured, as I have Progressive Phonics all downloaded. 

Some books on how to build things, and a book on knitting, crocheting, and sewing. I'll just hope that wherever we're going has supplies.

Whatever fiction paperbacks I can shove into corners here and there.

Loose lego bricks to fill up every last nook and cranny.

In other words, stuff that can give a basic education with an unschool-y practical skills/knowledge emphasis.

• Like 2

Alright, you've got me hooked on thinking about this, and it's actually been really eye-opening, so now my serious list.  Which would never leave space enough for coffee even if the rest did fit in a carry-on. (And I doubt it would.)  

Can I at least shove a few pounds of Christmas blend in my bra? 

As for academics:

Faith:

-Bible (NIV, Hebrew, Greek)

-Favorite hymns (photocopied)

-Jesus Storybook Bible

-Training Hearts Teaching Minds

Memory Work:

-Acts and Facts cards

-CC memory flash card sets (smaller than carrying the foundations manual)

Geography/History:

-The Geography Coloring Book (Wynn Kapit): Thin, lightweight, but super-comprehensive and crammed full of information.    Could adapt this for use

with elementary students all the way through high school. 

-Continent Map Masters (Laughing Star Montessori): super-thin 16 page book of basic blackline maps.  Great for blob-mapping.

-Inflatable globe (deflated, of course)

-SOTW vols 1-4 (plus just the maps from Activity GuidesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve already got these photocopied)

-Words Aptly Spoken: American Documents

-MeirsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ A ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s First Book of American History.  (this is HUGE and heavy.  But itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the only option I have on the shelf right now.)

Literature:

HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s where my preference for paper and lack of a Kindle is coming back to bite me in the rump.   Assuming I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have time to buy everything I can for DHĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Kindle, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d cram in as much poetry and literature as possible, using lightest, smallest editions when possible.  Some ideas: ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s versions of Aeneid, Illiad, Oddysey, Plutarch, Shakespeare; favorites from our ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Classics series; My Book House (first few volumes); Tolkien; Narnia; Little House in the Big Woods; Beatrix Potter in one volume (though I have all the littles tooĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ maybe use these instead, for cramming in tight spaces?); a few favorites from our early reader chapter books; a few favorite phonics readers.  (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m beginning to think that this might be the first time a carry-on exceeds the 50 pound limit on baggage.)

Phonics/Reading/Spelling:  Nothing.  I love 100EZ (I know I knoooowĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.gasp!), and I love WRTR, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m familiar enough with each method to do a decent job without the books.  A whiteboard and dictionary will suffice (see Ă¢â‚¬Å“suppliesĂ¢â‚¬ below).

Grammar:

-Grammar and Diagramming Sentences (Nan DeVincent-Hayes). (Note: I own and plan to use FLL 3 and 4, but two enormously heavy chunky books for something I can just teach on the whiteboard? No way does it make the cut for a carry-on.)  

Writing:

-WWE Strong Fundamentals

Math:  

-Math in Focus (workbooks only) K through Grade 5; no manipulativesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ we could improvise with whateverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s available wherever we end up.

Science:

-Pick and choose from LetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Read and Find Out Series (many of which I currently own)

Supplies:

-small whiteboard/colored fine-point expos/eraser

-smart sleeves (so ruled paper, workbook pages, maps, etc can be reusable)

-number 2 pencils, colored pencils, small sharpener

-ruled and blank paper (as much as fits)

-compact dictionary

-iphone Ă¢â‚¬â€œ all my memory work/audio files are stored here.  And itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s small, so worth the risk that there may be no power source anyway. 

-legos shoved in every empty space left. (brilliant idea, ocelotmom!) 

Optional:

Laptop:  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love it and it would be highly useful even without internet, but I could survive without it, especially since thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no guarantee I can plug it in.

• Like 3

A little over a year ago, we had to pack up the house to be unpacked at the new house 6 weeks later.  We had to live off what we fit in the van, so school was contained in one large backpack plus one Science in a Nutshell Kit.  This was for 3 elementary age kids.

I put the work in binders. One for me, and that contained extra paper, etc...  One for each kid.  In the binders was copywork, MEP math for 2 kids, MM for the other kid, and SOTW AG pages for the chapters we would cover. I knew we would be landing at some point, so I had the luxury of just printing off what we needed.  I had a Kindle for TM's and read-alouds. I used the Wise Guide from SWR and plain paper for spelling.  I had SOTW, a Bible, and...

We had a baggie of C Rods, pencils, a sharpener, Twistables...a ruler...hmmm...I don't remember much else.

We drove quite a bit and listened to audiobooks.  We stayed with my parents for a while and we were able to watch Animal Planet, History Channel, etc. We spent most afternoons playing at the city park.

I would not want to go through that again, but it worked out.  The Nutshell Kit was the best idea.

ETA: There were no guns or kidnapping involved.  Just a boring job change that involved a fews weeks lapse between, and a terrible experience with UHaul Pods in which a homeschool momma got the boss on the phone and demanded my household goods be delivered TODAY or else... I told them that I work from home and that my office is on those pods.  True.  I did not tell them that the work I do from home is homeschooling, however, and my office supplies are REAL books, for the love of all things living and interesting!

• Like 4

The Sciences by Trefil and Hazen is an excellent choice for one book for upper level sciences. The pages are thin and it covers all the major topics.

I'm so undecided about math, for this make pretend exercise, but also in real life. And then when I switch one thing, I tend to switch another. I'm thinking of:

How to Tutor 

Arithmetic Made simple

Strayer-Upton 1-3

Saxon Algebra 1 and 2.

And skip Alpha-Phonics

I think this is the first time I have been SO tired when playing one of these games. It affect my choices. I'm not even considering Henle Latin, even though it's a great book that I've used so successfully and takes up so little room. I don't have the energy or desire to teach Latin.

I also don't like to list OOP and hard to get books, but I might do that.

Out of what I own and with the kids I have:

IEW binder -- I've watched the TWSS and could probably teach writing from this to all ages of my kids.  

Giggly Guide to Grammar -- could age up or down and it's little

Literature -- I don't know how I would squish all I wanted into a carry on.  I use the library extensively, so I don't know what I would plan (since most is not in my house) -- maybe take what each kid is studying, throwing in the high school books I've collected thus far, and call it good?; McGuffey readers for my youngest who is still learning to read

Spelling -- all the volumes I have of All About Spelling, all while wishing I'd bought ahead (I'd probably leave the tiles at home)

Math -- ??  I have 3 children in 3 different levels/programs.  I would want something more portable.  Maybe rip out the table of contents of each level needed and come up with my own for the younger levels?  I'd probably dig out the Singapore Challenging Word Problems and make heavy use of that.

Science -- Microscope, our basic chemistry book, and Exploratopia book; Kingfisher's Science Encyclopedia

Foreign Language -- this would get ditched.  I don't have anything in print.

History -- Story of the World all 4 volumes, K12's Human Odyssey 3 volumes, Kingfisher's History Encyclopedia

Geography -- one of our atlases -- I don't know which one off the top of my head

Fine Arts -- music probably a beginner piano book since that's what I have here, art -- Child's Introduction to Art (it's the best I got for the ages I have)

Dry erase markers and lapboards, pencils and some notebooks, pencil sharpener (very important!), watercolors.

If I were allowed electronics, ipad (which does have some educational apps, including foreign language), and possibly laser printer (if it fit).

ETA: My oldest would be in trouble as she is close to high school, but I don't have stuff on the high school level yet.  So it would be very difficult to pack for her for more than about a year.  The younger two would be ok for a while.

• Like 1

Electronically, we'd be set. Just need a kindle or two and a charger.

I have the books on there that would work from K-12. I think I would also bring Saxon Algebra 1 and 2.

Without electricity would be much tougher since most of our books are electronic now:

Pencils, notebooks, Whiteboard, markers

Student dictionary (reading, picture study, parts of speech, grammar, new ideas)

CLE readers (3), Rod & Staff Reader, Kingdom Tales, childcraft book (variety of stories, discussions, imagery)

Rod & Staff English 5 textbook

Higher math starting with Saxon 65 through Calculus (whatever would fit)

Bag of lego bricks

Clay

It's a first pass at this, I will be thinking more though...

• Like 2

Since all my cousins -- distant or otherwise -- love me and are trustworthy, I'll assume this clandestine cousin has good intentions. Since he's telling me to pack educational materials -- instead of firearms, K-rations, and first aid kits -- I'll assume it's not a survival situation, the world as we know it is not coming to an immediate end, and hope for the best. I'm going to assume we'll be able to purchase paper, pens, index cards, markers, art supplies, and such in this new location. I'm also going to assume from his calm demeanor that we will not be on "lock-down," but able to get out and see the part of the world we're in. Furthermore, I'm going to assume access to the Internet, a good library, museums, concerts, recreational places, and cultural events.

NOTE TO ANY OF MY COUSINS WHO MAY BE READING THIS: An all-expenses-paid European tour would be nice, if you can arrange it. Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Netherlands, France (encore!), Switzerland, Germany, France (encore!), Italy, Greece, Turkey.... Hmm...

Well, that would take care of geography, history, and world language study for a while, wouldn't it? ;) But since we don't know where we're actually going, and it might be an extended stay in the middle of nowhere, I'll still pack my Basic Stuff for Basic Studies. In my carry-on, I'd pack:

Christian Discipleship

• Full Life NIV Study Bible
  • Victor Journey through the Bible
  • Christian Life Hymnal

English Language & Literature

• Roget's International Thesaurus, 7th edition (somewhat more useful than a dictionary, I think?)
  • Writing with Skill -- I'd find a way to put an outline of this on a 3 x 5 card, and we'd use library sources when we got to our destination
  • English from the Roots Up, Volumes 1 & 2 (cards only)
  • English Grammar Recitation -- instead of this, I wish we had a one-volume diagramming book. Drat.
  • Literature = Kindle downloads + library & bookstores at destination

Music, Math & Logic

• Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory, complete course with Teacher Answer Key + CDs for ear training + CD player (assume ability to purchase adaptors as necessary)
  • A small, portable electronic piano with rechargeable batteries
  • Recorders + recorder books + cleaning swabs
  • Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra -- not because it's my favorite, but because I have it, and could teach all the math (arithmetic) up to that point from what's in my head
  • Chess set

Science, Nature, History, Geography

• Location, location, location -- So much of what I'd do would depend on where we were, but not knowing this at the start, I'd probably not pack much of anything for History or Science. Instead, I'd focus on Bible, English, and Math/Music resources, and let Science, Nature, History, and Geography derive their shape from the environment and its resources. There are a few exceptions.
  • New Way Things Work
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014 (e-book on my Kindle)
  • Story of the World, all four volumes, books and audiobooks, not because these are my favorites, but because we have them.
  • Like 4

It's funny all the various reasons we've all gotten into our head for why this would be happening. I figured my cousin was taking my family to live in a self-made witness protection program because people were after spy-cousin's loved ones for some action (or inaction) on spy-cousin's part. So I figured we would be having to live very low key and possibly in another country (without bookshops or libraries with lots of books written in English) but that the world wasn't about to end.

• Like 3

Hunter, I do appreciate that you've run another of these scenarios.  I've never been taken away by a cousin, but I have had sudden illnesses pop up in the family that required longer-term temporary relocation.   I have had that "one hour to choose and pack" thing pop up a couple of times now, and it can be disconcerting. 

With us currently preparing to move again, I'm homeschooling off of one extra large tote bag; conceivably for the next 6-8 months until we get settled and out of temp housing. We've been spending the last couple of months scanning and uploading books to electronic format.  I checked and I do have mid and higher level science, math, history/foreign language, literature analysis, and foreign language stuff there. I could go k-12 out of a carryon.

If I had a suitcase, I'd add:

art encyclopedia

history encyclopedia

grammar/style reference

20th century children's tales

• Like 2

I think my kids would have an excellent education if I packed the following items.  The homework books are very thin, so I think all the below would fit well.   Edit: I checked the size of a carry-on and it is much smaller that I thought (22" x 14" x 9".) I will try and trim my list.  

Math:  

Saxon 8/7 (Basically all pre-algebra material is covered)

Saxon Algebra I & 2

Understanding Mathematics from Counting to Calculus

Everything you need to know about Math Homework 

History/Geography:

Everything you need to know about World History Homework

Everything you need to know about American History Homework

Everything you need to know about Geography Homework

An Atlas

CHOW

The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History

Edit:  U.S. History for Dummies 

Science:

Everything you need to know about Science Homework

The Usborne Science Encyclopedia

English

Everything you need to know about English Homework - by Zeman and Kelly

Grammar & Diagramming Sentences - by Gianni DeVencentis-Hayes

The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

Small Dictionary and Thesaurus 

Literature:  

Pride and Prejudice

Lord of the Rings Series

I would wait until the end to see if I could shove in other classics.  

Phonics:  

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading or Alpha-phonics  

The Writing Road to Reading

One of the many children's storybook compilations I own.  

Spelling:

Spelling Power

Bible:

The Bible

Egermeier's Bible Story Book

Edit:  How to Read the Bible book by Book: A guided Tour by Fee and Stuart

Music:

The Celebration Hymnal

Tin Whistles 

Art:

One of the Art History Compilations I have

Art Pencils, Crayons, water color sticks/crayons, water-brushes (the kind you fill with water), scissors, and Sketchbooks

Extras:  

Whiteboards and Markers (Now I am feeling bad for not having slate and chalk.) 

Paper, pencils, sharpener, and erasers

That's it.  I can't trim anymore!  I'm breaking the rules and having each person carry a book in their hands.  Also, my purse will have books in it.  I am clearly not a minimalist when it comes to home school books, but thanks this was a wonderful exercise.  : )

• Like 3

First I would download all of my Teaching Company courses, all of my audio books, and all of my ebooks onto the largest and most robust portable drive I could find, and then I would make a duplicate copy on another drive. I would pack all three of our laptops, the Kindles, all necessary cables, and several good solar chargers. 

For nondigital books I would take The Complete Shakespeare, Iliad & Odyssey in Greek with the "Middle Liddell" dictionary (for DS), the multivolume Norton's World Literature, and the Gelfand math books and maybe a few of the other small Dover math reprints. I would take a whiteboard and a bunch of dry erase crayons, and I would fill the rest of the suitcase with good art supplies and sketchbooks.

• Like 6

Then I had better bring Women Who Run With The Wolves and Nourishing Traditions. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, just in case. I would bring The Real Mother Goose for the kids, and my nice 4th edition of The Writing Road to Reading text and unfinished phonogram cards ( I lost my Uhu stick halfway through the process of making my own). If I found that Uhu stick I would bring that also. 

Usborne's Internet-linked History Encyclopedia. Van Loon's History of Mankind.

I would bring The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric by Sister Miriam Joseph, and The Elements of Style and The Elements of Editing. I would bring William Shakespeare's Complete Works.

I would also bring Ayn Rand's The Art of Nonfiction Writing: A Guide for Writers and Readers (in case we need to fight propaganda with propaganda).

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. (To rebuild the economy)

Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee. (Phys. ed, you know).

I would bring my college-level Spanish 1 textbook.

I have one college-level Latin American History book I'd like to utilize. (It contains a lot of information about uprisings and revolutions). 

The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee would come with us as a history help.

Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by John Meachum and Washington by James Thomas Flexner are the two biographies we own that I would bring if they fit. We don't want to forget our golden age!

I would bring my Kindle which has The Railway Children and the complete works of George MacDonald as well as Charlotte Mason's volume 6 loaded on it. We would bring our small copy of The Hobbit.

I would bring the Bible, mainly for the Psalms. 

I will bring The Art of the Infinite: The Pleasures of Mathematics by the Kaplans. I have enough Ray's to cover about two grades. I would bring my Right Start Math Card Games book and the cards themselves. I'll also bring Miquon Notes and Annotations. C-rods and popsicle sticks would complete this bundle of math.

I cannot think of anything else. Thanks for this fun exercise! 

• Like 3

So I'm assuming my kids are coming too :)

Okay, let's see.  For high school age kids:

I've got a Saxon Alg 2 book and a Lial's Intermediate Algebra. I'd grab one of those.

And there's a precalc set kicking around here somewhere. That comes too.

A Short History of Nearly Everything

The Bible

A variety of classic paperbacks (we've got a lot to choose from) and Shakespeare plays

Spanish dictionary, 501 verbs book, and a couple of Spanish novels (choosing from the dozen or so that are in the house)

The Lively Art of Writing

The American Odyssey

History of the Ancient World

mechanical pencils, extra lead & erasers (assuming we can get notebook paper wherever we're going - otherwise, add a couple of spiral notebooks)

sketchbooks & drawing pens, plus a manga or two

That would probably fill the suitcase. At any rate, I hope it's a wheelie 'cause it's awfully heavy!

• Like 3

I agree with the going into witness protection idea. From my bookshelf with dc starting in 7th and 10th grades, I'd take:

IEW Level C on DVD

The Lively Art of Writing

Windows to the World (he, he)

Excellence in Literature books

Teaching Textbooks Math

Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II CDroms

Lyrical life science CDs

Human Anatomy/Physiology (one book)

Story of the World CDs

Diana Waring What in the World's Going on Here? CDs

Geography songs CD with map

dc favorite books on CD

Bible

Bible Doctrine

Apologetics questions from Stoa speech and debate

laptops

Kindles

paper, pencils, colored pencils, pens

I think that's all I could fit. :(

• Like 2

Since I've posted in a few of these threads now, I decided I'd better get out a carry-on suitcase and actually pack my list to see if it would fit. The suitcase is one of the small ones made to fit under an airplane seat. The Book House set maxed it out. I would have to leave half of it behind to fit the rest. I also realized that my choices are mostly K-8. Hoping I could bring a tablet with internet and keyboard for high school!

• Like 1

Hmm, I've never tried this before. I think I'd take:

Bible, strayer-upton practical arithmetic series (well, if I own them all yet. If not, then Rays ebooks), a set of readers (mcguffey or treadwell or Elson), my yesterday's Classic ebook collection, a couple tablets, a bunch of good literature ebooks and classical music loaded on an sd card, lots of paper and pencils.

My carry on is either quite small or I have a LOT of notebooks. Lol. In my survival mode I'm thinking of how t cover the really practical stuff. Teach them to read, write, do daily life math... And just have them read a bunch. diagramming sentences and Latin roots aren't exactly life skills. :lol

• Like 2

A carry-on is pretty small, especially if some of the interior is taken up with handles, wheels and supports of some type, like mine is. On mine, the zipper is in the middle, and the 2 sides are separate, further cutting down on my options.

A suitcase without wheels, with a zipper on the top, would hold more, but probably couldn't take the weight in all books, even if you could lift it.

Maybe your cousin is super strong, though, and is only going to carry it from the doorstep to the trunk of his car.

• Like 1

My cousin said I could take my largest rolling suitcase. (Let's just say I reminded him that I knew things that no one else did about him.)

My list so far for 7th grade and up.

History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ SWBĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s History Series (3 books so far through the Renaissance); ZinnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s A PeopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s History of the US

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Science and HakimĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Science series (3 book series); book about stars

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ SM level 6 w/ HIG (3 thin books), JacobĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Algebra, JacobĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Geometry, and FoersterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Algebra 2

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Complete Works of Shakespeare, How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare, Chaucer, American Lit Anthology, Poetry Anthology. I'm actually remembering that my cousin said there was electricity, so I'm quickly downloading these to a kindle and iPad.

Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CAPĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s W&R; Lost Tools of Writing I and II

Latin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CAPĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Latin Alive series; Latin Dictionary; Latin Verbs

Spanish Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CAPĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Spanish for Children series (A&B), Spanish Dictionary, Spanish Verbs

Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ NRSV, Annotated, The Book of Common Prayer, 1982 Hymnal (all on tablets); Encyclopedia of World Religions

Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Blackline Maps of World History; The Shaping of a Nation: 1000 AD to the Present, Blackline Maps of American History

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 Big Art History Book

Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ recorder; sheet music for Bach sonatas and ChopinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Piano Concertos

Other: Dictionary, iPad and charger, kindle and charger, thumb drive(s), wire bound notebooks, composition books, pens, pencils, art materials

• Like 4

I'm a buy-ahead curriculum junkie, so I've got shelves of stuff I've not used yet (ever) - but with 15 min to pack, how am I going to choose between them? (Also, now I'm really regretting not having already stocked my kindle with the texts necessary to do a complete LCC education from books in the public domain.)

For the definites:

ELECTRONICS/MISC

*kindle, iPad and associated chargers, wall and car (would take solar chargers if I had them, but don't)

*pencils, paper, sharpeners - as much as possible

*deck of cards (or two or three) - wish I had a book of Hoyle

RELIGION/FAITH

*Bible - would love to take my study Bible, but it's huge; with space at a premium I'd take My Very First Holy Bible (enough pictures to take the place of our big children's Bible but with the complete esv text and half the size of my study Bible) and hope for the best re: electronic usage because the study bible's on my kindle and iPad

*hymnal - Lutheran Service Book: includes the small catechism (which provides the core of a devotional life) and covers music, too (and if the iPad keeps working, we have audio for nearly 100 hymns)

*small pb copy of the Large Catechism, if space - way smaller than the full Book of Concord (which is also on kindle) and is theology geared to living out the faith

Highly probable:

MATH

*Elementary Mathematics/Geometry for Teachers - two thin paperbacks that explain how to teach through arithmetic; I could probably go through algebra 1 with only what's in my head, but these would be very useful and don't take up much space.

*Abacus (2) - small and biggest bang for the buck math manipulative

PHONICS

*LiPS and LiPS tiles in baggies - not too much space and two out of three kids need it (and I'm pretty sure it will be three for three); covers reading and spelling (minus a word list) for the students with phonological processing difficulties.

*Let's Read, if space - has all the graded phonics reading practice you could want, but it's a big book (and I have McGuffey's readers on the kindle; for that matter, I have the first twelve lessons of LR on the kindle, too)

*ABCs and All Their Tricks, if space - for spelling lists (I do have Webster's speller on my kindle)

LITERATURE

*Gyo Fujikawa's Mother Goose, Children's Poetry, and Fairy Tales books - they are our favorite mother goose and poetry collections, not too large, with lovely illustrations (and the fairy tales one is also loved, if not such a clear favorite)

*A.A. Milne: deluxe color illustrated editions of Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner (fairly compact)

*two volume Reader's Digest very best fairy tales, if space (I've got all 12 of Lang's fairy books plus umpteen other fairy tale collections on my kindle)

*Beatrix Potter, complete tales, if space - we all love this book, but it's big and space is at a premium (and now I'm kicking myself for not getting the public domain ones on my iPad)

HISTORY

Child's History of the World (if I had more public domain stuff on my kindle I'd probably leave this)

GEOGRAPHY

*wall maps, world and US (fold up into nothing and we consult them daily)

*atlases: world first and then US, if space (we consult them a ton, but they take up space and i just don't know if I'd prioritize them over more lit or not)

Now we exit the realm of books that I actually use Right Now (and so know are useful), and move into the realm of seems-good and might-be-useful, and so more of a crapshoot:

ENGLISH

*Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, complete (last one in series; includes a review of everything that came before) - it's small and probably the biggest bang for the buck/size

*rhetoric/composition book, if space; probably Corbett or D'Angelo or Horner

*Writer's Jungle, on kindle and iPad

SCIENCE

*BFSU, all three on the kindle/iPad and paper copy of vol 1, if space (now wishing I'd printed hard copies of vols 2 and 3)

LATIN

*Lingua Latina - complete, can be used with a variety of ages, and small footprint; in order of priority: LL1, Teacher's Materials, Exercitia 1 (both are very thin), College Companion, LL2, Exercitia 2, extra readings book

DRAWING

*how to draw book - either Drawing with Children or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

*art markers

MATH

*Algebra book, if space - probably Modern Algebra: A Logical Approach (don't know if I'd prioritize book 1 or 2) or if space was at a premium, Gelfand.

I'm going to leave it there. No idea how much will fit, but I'm pretty sure the core of what we actually use will fit, and I've a pretty good idea of the order of priority for the rest (and if I used my biggest rolling suitcase instead a carry on, it will all definitely fit. This was interesting, thinking through my priorities realistically based on what I actually do and use, so the majority is proven stuff, even though my kids are young.

• Like 3

I would bring;

SAS Survival guide

Homesteading basics

Bible

Usborne History of the World

Usborne History of Science

Treasury Book of Virtues (only complete Reader I own)

A solar charger for my tablet. (And our tablets) I wouldn't expect to have internet service but I have a multitude of books and enough music to fill in the gaps as well as some offline apps games to help with boredom and down time.

I think with the above which I already own I could set up a schooling system for most ages. I like the idea of backing things up on jump drives as well. I wouldn't bring anything for Math because I would create my own.

• Like 1

This one is easy for me!  I already have the kids entire school set up in one Case It binder each.  Granted it's the 4 inch one lol.  Each binder has everything for their school work, except math.  All supplies are in there, extra paper, etc.  SO...

I'd grab each kids' binder, add their math books/solutions manuals (Saxon Alg 1/2 and Saxon Alg 1), all 3 of our tablets and my phone.  We have dictionary apps on each device our Bibles are also downloaded on each (New World Translation, 2013 ;) )

I would look longingly at our reference books (science encyclopedias, atlas, maps, etc) but under such extreme circumstances, I would be happy to forgo most geography and science and stick to math, language arts, history, grammar/vocab until we get back (if?!).  I have so many useful 'favorites' on my laptop that I could easily fill in the gaps if needed.

Add a bag of Starbucks Sumatra ground coffee and my little plug in coffee one-cup maker and we are set!  Because I'm going to pretend we will have access to a plug, obviously. LOL

• Like 2

I have changed my list so many times.

First, if I change one thing, it sets off a chain reaction, because with a very short list there is no room for overlaps and gaps.

Second, this exercise forces me to decide what I think is REALLY important. Junior college has been the default end goal, and that has trickled all the way down to my 1st grade level choices. Students and I are affected by prejudices in our local culture and the little snide comments and compliments people pay each other.

What IS important, beyond test and admissions and prejudices?

Not once have I considered replacing the 6 original What Your Grader Needs to Know books. I haven't changed the art books either. After that, though, I've had all sorts of struggles, and as I sat down with my little pile. and really thought about what I think is important in a world with an uncertain future that may or may not include tests and really dwell on educational prejudices and how I want to deal with them.

• Like 2

I find this topic interesting. I read end of the World fiction, and I have thought about homeschooling after a life ending as we know it event. Not because I think the world will end, but to boil down what I think is important. The difference of course is society and competition. Right now there is an expected matter of knowledge which all people are expected to know. Whether it is important or not is sadly beside the point. That is where preparing for entrance and admission tests come in. Then there is the knowledge that each of us get to decide that we think an educated person must know. Finding the combination is the balance we all walk.

• Like 3

I keep thinking about this list too.  I think I would feel comfortable with only the Kindles (Paperwhite for me and the Fire for the kids) loaded with Rays, all four SOTW volumes, spellers, readers, CHOW, English, and huge mass of more literature than could be read in a lifetime.  I have a whiteboard app that could be used in place of the physical whiteboard and markers.  Then a charger and a solar charger option (maybe I am totally cheating Hunter, you let me know, LOL).  Then with the remaining space, I would bring notebooks and pens.  Physically writing is very therapeutic to me.

What keeps me from just using this?  Expectations of others I think.  Like a PP said, the expectation right now is college entrance and specific pieces of information.  So I use things that are familiar to me in meeting these expectations.  But if that cousin came and our world was turned upside down, then we can decide what an "education" is. 

So what is stopping me now?  Still pondering that....so much is currently upside down that I wonder what would happen if I just started to trust myself more specifically in the area of education.

• Like 2

Tablet, kindles, paper, pencils

If there is no electricity or internet, then I'd take Usborne's Encyclopedias of Science and World History, and however many paperbacks I could fit to include the Little House series, Narnia series, and The Wizard of Oz.

Most of our books are on the Kindles so we'd be out of luck for any Shakespeare or older classics. Lol

• Like 1

One thing for me that stands out is that I don't think the tests and admittance requirements line up with what people are expected to know. There is a body of knowledge and skills that is almost exclusively used in school and getting into school.

Hmmm...now that everyone is expected to be competitive, I guess those school skills are expected for everyone, now, and are becoming part of cultural literacy. Being a bit older than some of you, I hadn't really realized that, until I started writing this post. Interesting.

In my head, cultural literacy and college prep were two different lists.

I have more and more students that I am no longer trying to prepare for junior college, but I find that some of these students are most effected by what I think of as educational prejudices. They want to learn things like a slanted and ornate cursive hand, even if another form of handwriting would be infinately more practical for them.

I've never been as tired as I am during this challenge. That coupled with a challenge that for the first time is about NOT knowing the conditions one will be facing, is making me more practical than ever.

Does ANYTHING matter REALLY? For Christians, yes; the Bible and knowing how to read it. Some basic 3R skills; there is little possibility of those not being useful.

I'm really thinking about cursive this week. Sometimes I have thought of cursive as part of art therapy, but choosing cursive-first affects so much of the rest of language arts instruction and even how much writing can be assigned in the content subjects. I've sometimes given up cursive-first for a few weeks at a time, but always got sucked back in, by student requests.

I've been fighting insomnia and migraines all week, and have students that PLAY at cursive handwriting without mastering it, while remaining crippled when it comes to being able to do ANY type of writing. In theory, poverty stricken students can learn to write like students that attend "Catholic school"Ă¢â‚¬â€œthe phrase one student uses. In reality, though, when life gets harder, they really can't learn to write nicely in cursive, and the pursuit of too lofty a goal can prevent other lesser goals from being reached.

For the past 20 years, I've learned over and over that shooting for the moon without the resources to get there, sometimes just leaves you stranded NOWHERE in outerspace.

I'm trying to judge how my fatigue this week can be helpful or harmful in long term planning. I took out "Composition in the Classical Tradition" and when reading through it, I just felt overwhelmed not excited, so I put it away, remembering that I have used it when feeling well, but crash and burn with it when everything isn't perfect. If I'm not working my way up to the junior college research paper as my final goal, and I'm not going to use the progym, what do I think is important in composition? I haven't really asked myself that since about 1997. It was always the progym or the research paper competing with each other.

Oh, man my head hurts! But I need SOMETHING to distract myself, so...that is why I'm posting in this thread right, now. I know I'm a bit weird that education thoery is my favorite distracting hobby. :D

• Like 2

What I didn't include in the above post, is that I'm realizing that hard times is more than not having the books. Part of hard times is not having the health and time and I'm not sure what else to teach to those books, even if you have them, and know how to teach them.

• Like 3

It's absolutely NOT cheating in THIS thread to plan an all digital curriculum. At times I have taught from nothing but digital resources as my adaption to what was currently taking place.

But, other times, I intimately know what it's like to live a lifestyle where that wouldn't work, and it makes me leary of not having a backup plan.

Trying to prepare for everything is a sure way to prepare for nothing. An all digital curriculum might be the best plan. It would work in almost all scenarios.

• Like 2

The more digital I go, the more I rely on scraps of paper folded into grids with teeny tiny penciled information, or information typed into spreadsheets that I print. I need the big picture mapped out in hardcopy, even though all the bits and pieces are digital.

I like the Moleskine Cahier Journal (Set of 3), Pocket, Plain, Kraft Brown, Soft Cover

http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Cahier-Journal-Pocket-Plain/dp/8883704940

I write long term notes in one of these thin journals, and then fold and store any bits of paper with short term notes in the journal.

Yearly planning with just a large piece of paper.

There is a pocket in the back of the Moleskine, where the folded yearly planner fits perfectly.

• Like 2

Complete Shakespeare, the one with all the tiny footnotes.

Christian Community Bible, Catholic Pastoral Edition. Compact and has lots of tiny commentary and extras.

Big, single volume Collins English Dictionary

Definately both pairs of reading glasses for when I misplace a pair.

Given your parameters, Graves 10 Bushcraft Books

Our bird book and her compact rock book (always travel with us)

Probably The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics, because we couldn't fit lots of science and maths texts in.

A Passion for Mathematics, as 'light reading' for the child.

A couple of big crossword magazines.

Atlas

Compact Geographica, World Reference

A Canterbury Tales, again with footnotes.

Van Loon's The Story of Mankind, for the child

J M Robert's History of the World, for the mum

If there was room, I'd try and add one of the old 100 Great Lives books filled with biographies.

My little transistor radio and AA batteries, a couple of battery reading lights and the loupe (eye glass).

Fill the cracks in the bag with lined writing books, pencils, drawing pencils etc.

We regularly do this. Generally we replace some of this with our current science, maths, english texts. I've changed those for texts that will last longer and might help us survive for reading matter a bit longer if we can't access a library soon. If that was the case I reckon I could just about work through the Robert's History.

Sounds exciting, should we be packed and ready????

ETA: Forgot a poetry choice: something old, smaller and full.

I've added to this and got it all in one banana box. Weight would preclude flight carry-on, but if dd and I divide up between us and add passports, minimal toiletries and clothing them we might almost manage.

I've made a 'school in a bag' collection in Librarything where I've started cataloguing THE collection.

Here's what it looks like...

https://www.librarything.com/catalog/ambrose_rex/schoolinabag

If need be I'd replace the big dictionary (my 2nd favourite) with a smaller paperback one and lose the Riverside Chaucer and make do with just the Oxford translation.

There are a stack of small Collin's Gems in here etc.

This is a list we could work with.

We are both readers and said child loves science and likes maths so we would NEED this much mental food.

I've only included tough reads that can stand/require multiple readings

I'd add Maps, playing cards, various dice and some writing in books and writing implements.

Also small transistor radio and batteries (in small metal box), and small reading torches.

We travel-school often and trying to print-out or get reliable power/internet is a pain.

That said I'd add an external hard-drive thing filled with downloads to increase options.This would fit in an old cigar tin. However that would be a bonus.

We could comfortably make do with this box. In fact I believe we could both become well educated with just this.

So why is our house filled with all the extras??

For richness I guess.

• Like 1

Dictionaries are hard, aren't they, if you have one that you use daily. We really like this large print one. I'm actually thinking of forgoing anything for compositon to fit this in. A dictionary, if you USE it, is major part of the curriculum.

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Concise-Dictionary/dp/0877796440/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422417254&sr=1-2&keywords=merriam+webster+large+print

• Like 2

Thank you for the challenge, Hunter.  

I was remembering how Francie's mother  in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," educates her children by asking them to read aloud one page from the Bible and one page from Shakespeare every night.

So, I am going to start this list with:

my annotated bible and

my husband's Complete Works of Shakespeare.

To that I will add Wheelock's Latin.  

All the "What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know Books" (because they would give me the lists to run with on elementary math and supply extra poetry and stories for enjoyment and I have 6 kids to teach!)

Foerster Algebra 1 and 2.  

Jacobs Geometry

The Usborne Science Encyclopedia

My one Janice Van Cleave science experiment book.  

And the WTM, in hopes that I could SOMEHOW get access to a library to check out more books.

paper, pens, pencils

I don't have a kindle or ipad, so I guess that option is out.   

And while Cousin was pulling down the driveway I would start shoving in whatever Great Books I could find.  Iliad, Odyssey, The Confessions.

Do you know what I would be relieved about, if I had to pack and flee?  I wouldn't worry about anything needed for standardized testing,  no multi-step story problem workbooks for elementary mathematicians, no Spectrum workbook anything, no "health and safety curriculum," no PE curriculum, no Fine Arts credit for high school curriculum.  

And several of the Little House books.

• Like 3

The Jews went almost 2000 years without a homeland. They wandered around the world, often facing severe persecution, and were known for being well educated, sometimes better educated that the natives hosting them. What can we learn from that?

Any home educating parent (and others), who haven't yet, must read Chaim Potok's The Chosen.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chosen-Chaim-Potok/dp/0449213447

Actually I have enjoyed, reread and enjoyed all that I have of his.

This one shows the education of two Brooklyn Boys. The education is deep.

While doing a couple of ancients subjects I found Jewish scholarship, particularly their biblical scholarship to be consistantly phenominal going back, back through the centuries.

It comes from very, very deep reading. From questioning every item that 'clangs' and relating that back to the main and borrowing from previous scholarship.

Anyway, I'm stating this badly, Chaim paints a fantastic picture in The Chosen.

I don't seek such  a selected education, but this is in the line of Latin heavy education; that if you learn limited topics very deeply, then you are able to learn whatever you choose with the same skills.

• Like 8

Any home educating parent (and others), who haven't yet, must read Chaim Potok's The Chosen.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chosen-Chaim-Potok/dp/0449213447

Actually I have enjoyed, reread and enjoyed all that I have of his.

This one shows the education of two Brooklyn Boys. The education is deep.

While doing a couple of ancients subjects I found Jewish scholarship, particularly their biblical scholarship to be consistantly phenominal going back, back through the centuries.

It comes from very, very deep reading. From questioning every item that 'clangs' and relating that back to the main and borrowing from previous scholarship.

Anyway, I'm stating this badly, Chaim paints a fantastic picture in The Chosen.

I don't seek such a selected education, but this is in the line of Latin heavy education; that if you learn limited topics very deeply, then you are able to learn whatever you choose with the same skills.

Thanks! I'm moving this higher up my reading list.