Menu

Another reason one ought to consider reading to their children...

creekland

This is probably preaching to the choir, but...

We've started public school here (high school).  For a "first day" exercise (getting to know you type of thing) kids were supposed to write down their favorite book from childhood...

I had three classes of students.  Two were "Level One" meaning VERY basic level - not even heading toward community college to be honest.  The other was "Level Three" meaning college prep (community college or 4 year).

In the Level Three class kids ended up discussing their favorites - often books they remembered their parents reading to them.  There was a pretty wide variety of favorites, but kids recognized almost all anyone brought up.

In the Level One classes MANY kids spoke up saying they didn't have a favorite.  I told them to just write down any they remembered their parents (or anyone else) reading to them if they couldn't come up with one they loved.  Too many times I heard, "My parents never read anything to me."  When I suggested some of the traditional favorites (Dr Seuss or similar) they still didn't recognize much.  :huh:

I'm well aware that not all kids need to be taking College Prep courses, etc, but the correlation was way too high for my comfort level.

Whether genetics or environment leading to the correlation, it can never hurt to read to your children - or any others you have "access" to (without kidnapping of course!).

Oh that's sad. :(

Seeing it happen in real life really made an impression on me.

I'd read stats about it, but naturally thought "most parents read to their kids" whenever I saw those.

Maybe "most" do, but there sure is a significant portion who doesn't - and NONE of those were represented in my Level 3 class, but it would have been about 2/3rds of the Level 1 classes (both of them).

In my little section of the world there was a super high correlation - perhaps a genetic cause, but perhaps not too.

It's enough to remind me to encourage those with younger kids to take the time to read to them - often.

A year ago one of the students graduating from my school was a new mom. We had a big push to get all her work done at the end, but she finished. I was proud of her effort. She was also working full time as a fast food manager. I bought around 10 board books for her newborn dd. the student asked what was the most important thing she could do with her baby and I said read to her everyday starting now with the board books. She was surprised I thought daily reading was so important, but later she told me she was doing it.

That is so sad. I'll never forget being in the dollar store one time to pick up some workbooks for my kid who couldn't get enough of them and overhearing a conversation between an obviously low income mother, daughter, and grandmother. The grandmother looked over at the books and asked the granddaughter if she'd like one. The girl responded, "why would I want a book? I've already got one. What would I do with two books?"

Well, my parents and grandparents did not read to me, other than when my mother read "The 101 Dalmatians" when it was published as a serial in a magazine (I think. I could be wrong on that.). Other than that, and my grandmother helping me read some Dick and Jane booklets in first grade, I was on my own. However, I'm pretty sure I read every book in every library in every school I attended, lol.

So maybe the sadness is that these children weren't given the literacy skills when they should have been--when they were 6 and 7yo--so that they didn't have the ability to read all those books on their own...which is, of course, still tragic.

That is so sad. I'll never forget being in the dollar store one time to pick up some workbooks for my kid who couldn't get enough of them and overhearing a conversation between an obviously low income mother, daughter, and grandmother. The grandmother looked over at the books and asked the granddaughter if she'd like one. The girl responded, "why would I want a book? I've already got one. What would I do with two books?"

I wonder if the granddaughter realized the content of the books differed or if she thought they were all the same inside.  Her response makes sense if it's the latter.

Well, my parents and grandparents did not read to me, other than when my mother read "The 101 Dalmatians" when it was published as a serial in a magazine (I think. I could be wrong on that.). Other than that, and my grandmother helping me read some Dick and Jane booklets in first grade, I was on my own. However, I'm pretty sure I read every book in every library in every school I attended, lol.

So maybe the sadness is that these children weren't given the literacy skills when they should have been--when they were 6 and 7yo--so that they didn't have the ability to read all those books on their own...which is, of course, still tragic.

But you are remembering something - a couple of somethings.  These kids couldn't come up with a thing even when I offered suggestions to try to dust off neurons.  They looked at me like I was crazy thinking that such a thing would happen.

At our school, all kids in K and 1st get the same instruction (for better or worse).  They can choose different books in their chosen reading materials, of course, but the instruction in "How to Read" is the same.  If they've been in our district from the beginning (no idea as I didn't ask), they've had instruction AND teachers read to their students (some).  These students can all read to some level now (generally around 4th grade, but some go up to 8th grade levels).  Kids who struggle significantly with reading even at that level have different classes than what I was in (lower than Level 1).  We also have Level 2 classes for students who are in the average range.  It would be interesting to hear/see their answers to the question.

But you are remembering something - a couple of somethings.  These kids couldn't come up with a thing even when I offered suggestions to try to dust off neurons.  They looked at me like I was crazy thinking that such a thing would happen.

I understood what you said and I'm agreeing with the tragedy that they cannot remember anything. :-)

Many five year olds in the Highland Park school district begin kindergarten with a working vocabulary of 25 words. 

Think about the conversations you had with your toddlers and preschoolers. Think about the things you read. Think about teaching them to talk. Sigh...these things are not happening to these children. This is staggering. Of course the State Board of Education thinks these children should be reading words at the end of the year even simple sentences! The ACLU wants to sue the teachers for incompetence!!! How are they supposed to take practically non verbal children who are clearly language delayed and teach them to read? They have to teach them basic things like book, train, banana, paper, pencil, crayon, dinner....sad doesn't even describe it.

The deficit some children begin with is profound.

Many five year olds in the Highland Park school district begin kindergarten with a working vocabulary of 25 words. 

Think about the conversations you had with your toddlers and preschoolers. Think about the things you read. Think about teaching them to talk. Sigh...these things are not happening to these children. This is staggering. Of course the State Board of Education thinks these children should be reading words at the end of the year even simple sentences! The ACLU wants to sue the teachers for incompetence!!! How are they supposed to take practically non verbal children who are clearly language delayed and teach them to read? They have to teach them basic things like book, train, banana, paper, pencil, crayon, dinner....sad doesn't even describe it.

The deficit some children begin with is profound.

Since I don't work elementary, I've no idea how we compare on this, but I do know I agree with you that it truly is sad to see the deficit some children have to try to overcome.

Then I see the results in the high school and often wonder where these almost-adults are going to find sustaining jobs.  Some do well in other fields - working with their hands, etc, but some don't have those talents.

I don't consider minimum wage jobs to be sustaining.

Any chance that working vocab of 25 words is English and they merely have learned another language first?  If so, that's not so bad.  We get kids in our school even in the later grades who don't know English (refugees, immigrants).  Our ESL program at our school is quite good and many of those kids finish school well - quite bi-lingual and still with a working (English) education.

I began teaching my barely verbal child to read, (at 7.5 she's has the grammar of a 3yo.) Of course this was only possible because we live outside the school system. I have a speech pathologist friend who says most of the kids she sees have no reason for their delay except no one speaks to them. :( 

I would love to see preschool and K-12 teachers reading more to their students as well. If all the time that is put into teaching reading skills to children under age seven or eight was instead spent reading to them, I bet we would have kids with much higher verbal and reading comprehension achievement in general, as well as fewer difficulties with and more enjoyment of independent when it was eventually introduced.

I began teaching my barely verbal child to read, (at 7.5 she's has the grammar of a 3yo.) Of course this was only possible because we live outside the school system. I have a speech pathologist friend who says most of the kids she sees have no reason for their delay except no one speaks to them. :(

Some of these kids have known physical reasons as to why they are below grade level.  I've absolutely no issue with that (except when it could have been prevented like FAS).  It's just sad that no one read to them when they were young.  That was a regular daily (or more) event in our household.  There were plenty of times I let all three of my kids choose a book (each) to be read since they were all close in age and enjoyed each others selections too.

I could understand no "favorite," but not remembering being read to at all - not even once - boggled my mind.  I wonder if some of them were barely spoken to as well.

For all, once we moved up into the school librarian years they were able to remember some books, but it did require dusting off brain neurons for them and they didn't remember any really favorite books.  I think "favorite" might sink into our brains more because we asked our parents/grandparents/whoever to read them over and over vs just once.

The saddest thing about it is that reading aloud is one of the few things that most people can do to boost academic success across all socio economic levels. At least in Australia anyway...since all libraries are free to join and most have no overdue fees. Most parents can read...even if they do it poorly... and if not their are always audiobooks or story time at the library.

Even if parents are time poor...it takes just 5 minutes to read 1 picture book a day to your child. They are not long.

I think when my kids are done homeschooling I might hire myself out as a book reader. LOL. Time poor parents can pay me to read to their kids. Those who can't afford me can hire me for free...I believe in it so much. What a great job for retired homeschool teachers LOL.

That breaks my heart, and it is what I suspect happens in many of the homes in Highland Park school district.The poverty in the area is crushing and everyone is in survival mode.

Those who can't afford me can hire me for free...I believe in it so much. What a great job for retired homeschool teachers LOL.

The library security guy actually does story time once a week for children story time. That is on top of all the other regular story times. That library even have bilingual story time for Eng/Japanese, Eng/Spanish and Eng/Chinese. Some are volunteers.

I would love to see preschool and K-12 teachers reading more to their students as well. If all the time that is put into teaching reading skills to children under age seven or eight was instead spent reading to them, I bet we would have kids with much higher verbal and reading comprehension achievement in general, as well as fewer difficulties with and more enjoyment of independent when it was eventually introduced.

I remember in 5th or 6th grade being asked to read stories to small groups (maybe 5 or 6) of 1st graders. I thought it was a great honor, the teacher had extra time to work with other groups, and the kids seemed to enjoy it.

I know my parents read to me but I couldn't tell you the names of most books. I don't remember. I mainly remember Dad reading parables to me. And some monkey book and The Sweet Smell of Christmas. I still love that one (complete with scratch n sniff stickers). Just wondering if it's possible they just don't remember. I remember the parables because that was when I was a bit older.

I just had to rush over to Amazon and buy The Sweet Smells of Christmas. I loved that book so much. Thank you for reminding me!

We do have a local company of decent means that began a reading buddy program in which seniors below a certain level of income can earn money reading to youngsters. There are a lot of grandmas and grandpas that have signed up to help. I think it could be very special for the youngsters that come to the library to meet with their buddy. But it doesn't address the needs of the most at risk children who may not have parents who can bring them. What I've seen is that the parents who are already concerned about literacy and school readiness, already availing themselves of library services, are the ones signing their children up for the program. It's doubtful it will be effective in reaching the intended target group, but it was very nice of them to see a need, and attempt to meet it.There are many seniors in desperate need of extra dollars so that is a nice way for them to earn.

Wow, so very sad. I have my own shortcomings, but reading to our kids is one thing I did daily. Piles of picture books for the littles before nap time, chapter books for the olders, tons of history and historical fiction.

My 21yo son recently told me that for him, my voice reading aloud is one of the most soothing sounds in the world because of the memories it evokes for him. I had never heard him say that before. Not long ago he and his 25yo sister were here on a Sunday and asked me to read to them! So I did.

My heart hurts for the children who have no one to read to them.

Oh, that is sad. My DH and I have really ramped up our reading aloud after listening to several episodes of the Read Aloud Revival Podcast. I HIGHLY recommend it (and I'm not affiliated with it in any way).

Thanks, I'm listening now.

Although I love reading, I don't really enjoy reading aloud but the benefits keep me slogging along. Listening to something like the podcast helps me keep going.

ETA: I realized this sounds so negative. I enjoy the time with my kids, the stories, and the tea, it's just that my throat and vocal cords get tired.  :)

I think when my kids are done homeschooling I might hire myself out as a book reader. LOL. Time poor parents can pay me to read to their kids. Those who can't afford me can hire me for free...I believe in it so much. What a great job for retired homeschool teachers LOL.

I like this idea and those who volunteer for extra reading in the schools.  I do wonder how one could find the kids who don't get read to.

Honestly, before I heard those classes discussing it I seriously thought pretty much everyone did it.  I would have guessed maybe 1 or 2% didn't, but now I realize I'm a bit out of the IRL loop.  I'm guessing people plop their kids in front of the TV - and not with shows like Reading Rainbow?

I know my parents read to me but I couldn't tell you the names of most books. I don't remember. I mainly remember Dad reading parables to me. And some monkey book and The Sweet Smell of Christmas. I still love that one (complete with scratch n sniff stickers). Just wondering if it's possible they just don't remember. I remember the parables because that was when I was a bit older.

I did everything I could to dust off brain neurons including mentioning the titles of many of the books my kids loved.  These kids truly insisted that their parents never read to them.  It was quite believable.  I know many of these kids from previous years at school.  We have a good rapport.  I believe they were being truthful.  Since they are 15 - 17 it wasn't as long ago for them as it would be for us.

Incredibly sad. It's not just that they missed out of fun books and good stories, they missed out on culture, a common thread that ties others together. When others remember "Green Eggs and Ham," they cannot participate in the conversation.

Green Eggs and Ham was a popular favorite, as were Goodnight Moon, Hop on Pop, and the Polar Express.  Many DIDN'T like Where the Wild Things Are or Where the Sidewalk Ends.  I thought those two would rank highly - so much for my thoughts!  They thought those books were "creepy."  (This comes from my Level 3 class where the kids got into a discussion about books - I brought up those two as "dusting off memories" suggestions.)

And yes, when those books came up, kids who hadn't been read to knew (some) titles, but that was it.  If I saw them more often, (I only sub) it'd be really tempting to find these books at a library and read them to them now - just so they'd know the culture.  Chances of them being curious enough to pick up a copy themselves is very remote, esp since we're in high school and I doubt those books are in our library.

I will see these kids again as I do go in for their teacher when she's out (they are science classes), but we are so rushed with the actual science curriculum that I doubt anyone would be pleased if I took time to update them on preschool basics.  The time to have done it would have been on that first "get to know you" day, but it seriously never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

When I taught K for six months, I had a boy who did not know many ofthe standard nous one would expect, verbs were rather problematic too. His parents lived in abject poverty, substance abuse was art of that equation. Neither of his parents had a high school diploma...really they failed classes until they finally were old enough to quit school. I would peg their reading level at 2nd grade and math the same. A very kind man in the church donated the funds for his tuition...he was the dad's employer.

Poor little guy! He did not even know the word book. He had never been given one, never been to a library, or a store that sold them. Here is a list of some of the other words he did not know which will give you a glimpse into his life, well and his diet for that matter.

Apple

Banana

Grape

Milk

Cheese

Cow

Horse

Carrrot

Count

Swim

Ice cream

Game

Pencil

Marker

Crayon

Read

Draw - he could actually draw quite well, far above average for his age. We just had to teach him the word for what he was doing and the writing implement in his hand.

The mom kept him bathed, dressed, and fed after a fashion. It was all she could manage. The dad came home from work at night and would get drunk. I don't know how he kept his job driving a forklift since he would have had a perpetual hangover.

Things he did know - brands of beer and whiskey, his mother's favorite vodka, and after mum and pop have passed out, cover them with a blanket if it is cold in the house.

We decided as a faculty that he needed to spend a lot of time with our school librarian and reading specialist and not worry about regular class except for recess, PE, Art, Music, and my fun science class for little people. We also decided that even though kindergarten was a half day 8 - 12:30,, he needed to be with us. Mom and dad did not care if he stayed. So he went with me when I taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade music, 7th and 8t grade science labs, recess with the older kids, story time with the 1st and 2nd graders.

Every early grade classroom I've ever been in has had read aloud time -- teachers or aides or parents or someone would read a book to the class. 

So did these kids go to schools where this wasn't the norm?  Have they literally NEVER been read to?  Or was that something that just didn't stay with them?

It's possible that just reading to a child isn't enough.  There also has to be a culture of thinking it's important?  Or perhaps these kids were read to in the early grades, but there was no further discussion of those particular books later and the kids just forgot.  Memories often need boosters to stay with you.

I also do not remember my parents reading to me much.  My mom would try it occasionally, but fall asleep a couple sentences in.  I do, however, vividly remember my teachers reading to the class -- although I would find it pretty frustrating that it went so slow.  I usually tracked down the book at the library and quickly read it. 

One thing my mom did do was to take us to the library every 2 weeks throughout my childhood.  Perhaps the fact that we were taught that was a big outing was more important to my reading than being read to by my mom.

Things he did know - brands of beer and whiskey, his mother's favorite vodka, and after mum and pop have passed out, cover them with a blanket if it is cold in the house.

So sad :/

One of my old friends was/is (lost track of him) married to a woman who basically sat and watched TV all day. When her kid entered PreK at 4, he was diagnosed as developmentally delayed because he had the language skills of a 2 yr old. She never even talked to him.

The good part is that with intensive intervention he was improving -- he was at a 4yo level when he was 5 -- but still.

Flyingiguana, I think that being taken to the library regularly would be a big influence. Also, while I've known kids whose parents weren't big on reading to them, their parents set an example of reading. The newspaper, sports, Reader's Digest, recipes, etc. so the child witnessed reading and learned that those squiggles on the page convey ideas and those ideas are important.

Also, while I've known kids whose parents weren't big on reading to them, their parents set an example of reading. The newspaper, sports, Reader's Digest, recipes, etc. so the child witnessed reading and learned that those squiggles on the page convey ideas and those ideas are important.

Yeah. My grandparents never read to my mother, but they read the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times daily and discussed it at the table.

When I taught K for six months, I had a boy who did not know many ofthe standard nous one would expect, verbs were rather problematic too. His parents lived in abject poverty, substance abuse was art of that equation. Neither of his parents had a high school diploma...really they failed classes until they finally were old enough to quit school. I would peg their reading level at 2nd grade and math the same. A very kind man in the church donated the funds for his tuition...he was the dad's employer.

Poor little guy! He did not even know the word book. He had never been given one, never been to a library, or a store that sold them. Here is a list of some of the other words he did not know which will give you a glimpse into his life, well and his diet for that matter.

Apple

Banana

Grape

Milk

Cheese

Cow

Horse

Carrrot

Count

Swim

Ice cream

Game

Pencil

Marker

Crayon

Read

Draw - he could actually draw quite well, far above average for his age. We just had to teach him the word for what he was doing and the writing implement in his hand.

The mom kept him bathed, dressed, and fed after a fashion. It was all she could manage. The dad came home from work at night and would get drunk. I don't know how he kept his job driving a forklift since he would have had a perpetual hangover.

We decided as a faculty that he needed to spend a lot of time with our school librarian and reading specialist and not worry about regular class except for recess, PE, Art, Music, and my fun science class for little people. We also decided that even though kindergarten was a half day 8 - 12:30,, he needed to be with us. Mom and dad did not care if he stayed. So he went with me when I taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade music, 7th and 8t grade science labs, recess with the older kids, story time with the 1st and 2nd graders.

:ohmy: :sad: :(

This breaks my heart. 

(and thank you for doing what you could. :wub:)

We do have a local company of decent means that began a reading buddy program in which seniors below a certain level of income can earn money reading to youngsters. There are a lot of grandmas and grandpas that have signed up to help. I think it could be very special for the youngsters that come to the library to meet with their buddy. But it doesn't address the needs of the most at risk children who may not have parents who can bring them. What I've seen is that the parents who are already concerned about literacy and school readiness, already availing themselves of library services, are the ones signing their children up for the program. It's doubtful it will be effective in reaching the intended target group, but it was very nice of them to see a need, and attempt to meet it.There are many seniors in desperate need of extra dollars so that is a nice way for them to earn.

Oh, you've given me an idea!

I've been mulling over the idea for awhile of starting an organization that would run some kind of a read-aloud program for kids. But how to reach the kids who really need it? I think I might know how to reach at least some of them.

I don't know if this program exists everywhere, but in our area there is a summer lunch program for kids ages 1-18. Lunches are provided at selected schools in the area, they choose schools in areas where lots of kids qualify for free lunch but any child who comes in gets lunch. I've seen daycare busses of children pull up. It wouldn't be perfect, but if we set up a read-aloud program during or right after the lunch hour I bet it could reach a lot of kids who's care givers might not sign them up for a program at the library or something. I need to talk to some people about this....

I watch a TV (Switched at Birth) where one of the characters grew up in a home with a mother that refused to learn to sign with him which is incredibly sad. But in a recent episode she said she's got an app with a sign a day. I thought that sounded like a cool app.

That's abusive IMO.

I enjoy the time with my kids, the stories, and the tea, it's just that my throat and vocal cords get tired. :)

Plop in an audiobook and cuddle up with your kids. Save you from a patched throat.

I just played the audiobook The cricket in Time Square for bedtime the other day. My older have read it but he still enjoyed listening. My younger would be reading it.

My dad used to borrow tons of audiobooks cassettes of English classics for me as he is ESL.

One of my old friends was/is (lost track of him) married to a woman who basically sat and watched TV all day. When her kid entered PreK at 4, he was diagnosed as developmentally delayed because he had the language skills of a 2 yr old. She never even talked to him.

That seems a little odd. If the tv was on, wouldn't the child absorb quite a bit of language that way?  I'm not advocating a diet of daytime tv for toddlers! But if hearing books read aloud does so much for developing language, I would think listening to television shows would have to do *something*. Neither one is the same as participating in active conversations. Clearly that part is critical as well.

Plop in an audiobook and cuddle up with your kids. Save you from a patched throat.

I just played the audiobook The cricket in Time Square for bedtime the other day. My older have read it but he still enjoyed listening. My younger would be reading it.

My dad used to borrow tons of audiobooks cassettes of English classics for me as he is ESL.

Thanks. They do listen to audiobooks, mostly in the car and everyday during lunch. I just want to read with them too, and make memories of that as well. Part of the problem is that they're 4 years apart so they want different books --> more reading. I can sometimes find something they both want. Most recently this was The Hobbit, which was a blast.  :)

Every early grade classroom I've ever been in has had read aloud time -- teachers or aides or parents or someone would read a book to the class. 

So did these kids go to schools where this wasn't the norm?  Have they literally NEVER been read to?  Or was that something that just didn't stay with them?

One thing my mom did do was to take us to the library every 2 weeks throughout my childhood.  Perhaps the fact that we were taught that was a big outing was more important to my reading than being read to by my mom.

These kids never had their parents (or grandparents, etc) read to them.  When I moved up to school age and mentioned some books I know the librarian read to my boys (in their young ps years) they did have memories of those books and being read to, but even then, they didn't lock on a favorite (usually - a couple did) and they still told me their parents never read to them.

I seriously doubt their parents took them to anything library"ish" before they were school age either.  Many of these kids might be the first in their families to graduate from high school - if they graduate.  Schools didn't have the push to "graduate everyone" 15 - 20 years ago.

That seems a little odd. If the tv was on, wouldn't the child absorb quite a bit of language that way?  I'm not advocating a diet of daytime tv for toddlers! But if hearing books read aloud does so much for developing language, I would think listening to television shows would have to do *something*. Neither one is the same as participating in active conversations. Clearly that part is critical as well.

I have heard of studies that looked at infants and small children who were talked to versus placed in front of a television which found that those who were talked to by a human had much more advanced language skills.  This was also true for foreign language acquisition.  One of the theories was that the three dimensional facial movements of forming words was a different experience than the two dimensional view on a television screen.

What's going on in the TV doesn't relate to real life. You learn more language from people around you talking to you than from a screen. Mom noticing you want an apple and going "You want an apple, honey? Here, I'll get you a nice green apple you can eat. Mmm, yummy! I love apples!" is much more valuable than cookie monster eating an apple on TV.

That seems a little odd. If the tv was on, wouldn't the child absorb quite a bit of language that way?

The child might absorb the language but not know how to speak. Some children when plop in front of the TV with Sesame Street will repeat everything on TV. Some would be passive watchers.

The mother might be watching TV but the child may just be playing quietly elsewhere with minimal conversation with anyone.

My boys were at that age playing Legos while I watch CNN news or ABC Good Morning America. They were paying no attention to the TV.

Other than Twas the night before christmas my folks never read to me, I just read constantly to myself. And mt mom read a ton, we went to the library weekly.  I admit I seldom read aloud to my kids (I do for ds10 in an online lit class beyond his reading level but at his comprehension level and to them before they could read but mostly nope), but they are all prolific readers and love books.  We do audiobooks often in the car so they do hear them, just not from me. My kids have had access to books since birth and are growing up in a literacy rich environment, I just don't read aloud much.  I want to read aloud more, but I get stressed out when they start wiggling around etc I just want them to sit still and listen which is so ridiculous, but I can't get over feeling like they are ignoring me if they are moving around, so it is healthier overall if I just don't.

Other than Twas the night before christmas my folks never read to me, I just read constantly to myself. And mt mom read a ton, we went to the library weekly.  I admit I seldom read aloud to my kids (I do for ds10 in an online lit class beyond his reading level but at his comprehension level and to them before they could read but mostly nope), but they are all prolific readers and love books.  We do audiobooks often in the car so they do hear them, just not from me. My kids have had access to books since birth and are growing up in a literacy rich environment, I just don't read aloud much.  I want to read aloud more, but I get stressed out when they start wiggling around etc I just want them to sit still and listen which is so ridiculous, but I can't get over feeling like they are ignoring me if they are moving around, so it is healthier overall if I just don't.

The original question was just asking about their favorite childhood book vs asking if their parents had read to them.  It only got on the latter topic when they told me they didn't have a favorite and didn't remember any books from their childhood.  I then told them they could just write down anything they remembered their parents reading to them...

I did not have to do any of that for the Level 3 class.  They saw the question and started the discussion all on their own - kind of as it should have been with a "getting to know you" activity.

The original question was just asking about their favorite childhood book vs asking if their parents had read to them.  It only got on the latter topic when they told me they didn't have a favorite and didn't remember any books from their childhood.  I then told them they could just write down anything they remembered their parents reading to them...

I did not have to do any of that for the Level 3 class.  They saw the question and started the discussion all on their own - kind of as it should have been with a "getting to know you" activity.

That's lovely, I understood what was being asked of the students.  I was replying like many others did in relation to whether or not they were read aloud to or did read aloud..  Sorry I didn't get the memo that I wasn't allowed to reply in the same way, sounds like you should have labelled this thread a JAWM since no other discussion was permitted.

What's going on in the TV doesn't relate to real life. You learn more language from people around you talking to you than from a screen. Mom noticing you want an apple and going "You want an apple, honey? Here, I'll get you a nice green apple you can eat. Mmm, yummy! I love apples!" is much more valuable than cookie monster eating an apple on TV.

Wouldn't the same be true of hearing a book read aloud? They both are set scripts, unrelated to what's going on right in front of you. And yet reading books apparently has great benefit.

Of course I believe that all children should have a language-rich envioronment, with lots and lots of human interaction. I'm simply musing hypothetically about what benefits might be gained from passive television viewing. Obviously, it's not a study anyone would ever want to carry out!

Jdahlquist's point about the 3-dimensional face is interesting. That raises the question for me about the benefits of hearing a book read if the child isn't watching the reader's face. In particular, what about audiobooks? Are they less effective in promoting language development?

Wouldn't the same be true of hearing a book read aloud? They both are set scripts, unrelated to what's going on right in front of you. And yet reading books apparently has great benefit.

Of course I believe that all children should have a language-rich envioronment, with lots and lots of human interaction. I'm simply musing hypothetically about what benefits might be gained from passive television viewing. Obviously, it's not a study anyone would ever want to carry out!

Jdahlquist's point about the 3-dimensional face is interesting. That raises the question for me about the benefits of hearing a book read if the child isn't watching the reader's face. In particular, what about audiobooks? Are they less effective in promoting language development?

I question the same thing. Why is an educational tv show les beneficial than a basic picture book? They are both groups of words of something outside reality. At least tv comes with a visual cue to help the words make sense. And all those benefits of watching the process of reading are gone when you bring in audiobooks. As for vocab, charlie and lola has taught my eldest a lot of big words

Obviously books are great but I think people sometimes go overboard about their benefits. Ultimately the best thing you can do for your child is talk to them. Frequently, about everything.

No, because when you're reading a book to a pre-verbal or barely verbal child you're stopping to point at the pictures, you're discussing unfamiliar words, you're repeating favorite parts, you're stopping to describe what's going on in your own words, you're pointing at the words as you read, you're asking questions about what happens next, and you'll stop as soon as your child is uninterested. Very few people just plow straight through the text.

You could watch TV like that too, or a lot like that - but people generally don't.

To make it worse, when the TV is on as background noise, it prevents the child from focusing on play (crucial to learning) and from clearly hearing what people are saying in the same room, speech that *would* be relevant to the child if only they were able to focus on it and hear it. There actually have been several studies on this, none of which I have bookmarked (new computer).