Menu

What's been the most helpful for your environmental allergies?

Pegasus

Trying to decide what would be most helpful for DD.  She takes Zyrtec (generic version) daily and did not like the trial of nasal spray meds the pediatrician prescribed. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know what has helped most at your house:

1. Ban pets from her bedroom. We have a dog and 3 cats and she loves to cuddle them in her room.  I'd let her 2 leopard geckos stay.

2. Allergy covers for mattress and pillow.

3. Rip out carpet from bedroom.

4. Air cleaner for bedroom (any recommendations?)

5. Add filter to ventilation vents in her room.  Would this help?  Would it make more sense to just change the whole house filter more often?

6. Other?

Thanks.

We have done all of your suggestions except #4 (still researching) and it has made a significant difference. My dd9 is on two different medications as well as nasal sprays and removing the carpet, etc. has allowed her to "relax" her regimen just a bit every now and again. We have an appointment with her allergist next week and I'm anxious to see how it goes.

I think you're on the right track- hoping others can chime in with additional suggestions. ;-)

D

Oh- as far as air filters, we change out our main ones frequently, and also have a filter in the vent in her room. My hubby seems to think that too many individual air filters for the vents bogs down the air system so we try to focus on high quality filters for the main one. HTH!

We have tried everything for my ds who has been seeing an allergist for years for allergies and asthma. But, the only thing that has improved his quality of life is regular chiropractic care with a supplement called allerplex. It has a very strong taste and I thought he would refuse to take it, but he asks for it twice a day. We break open and mix in cranberry juice. The first night he took it, he slept the entire night for the first time in three months, without waking up sneezing begging for water. Everyone is different, but it works for him.

Do you know what she is actually allergic to? You indicated environmental allergies, but I am not sure what all you consider environmental. I'm not trying to be patronizing, but I know that people often start by eliminating common triggers even if they don't know what they are allergic to. If she not allergic to animals, banning them from the room will not help. However, if she is allergic to pollen, and the animals carry it into her room on their fur, that will help. I developed allergies as an adult, and they were very severe; shots helped me a great deal. I am allergic to everything, but my big triggers were dust mites, dust, and pollens so that's what my answers are based on. If she has some sensitivities to chemicals in carpets, etc., you might consider house plants to help filter the air. As long as you don't let the soil get moldy (if she has mold allergies), and you keep the leaves dusted, they are great for indoor air quality. I believe spider plants and peace lilies are some of the best air cleaners, but you could google to be sure.

If she is allergic to dust and/or mites, in addition to allergen covers, use easy to wash bedding, and wash every scrap of it on HOT every single week. Once she starts feeling better, you might be able to do it less often. If she is allergic to pollen and spends any time outdoors, be sure to have her wash her hair or shower before bed. Be sure to clean her room early in the day so that any dust that gets stirred up has time to settle before she has to sleep in there again. Use a really good vacuum with a good hepa filter and consider a steam cleaner. If you yank the carpets, you'll want to dust mop with microfiber or something like that. It's nice to have an extra allergen cover to take with you when you travel if you don't usually take your own pillows along.

We change our furnace filters regularly. Once we started buying the really good filters and keeping them changed, we noticed that the vents throughout the house started running cleaner over time. We never have had carpet in the bedrooms, and I've never had an air filter, so I can't speak to those changes. Sometimes you can get rebates for the 3M filters by looking online.

Saline nasal rinses help quite a bit after any exposures to allergens. If she is really bad off, you can do the irrigation thing with a sinus bottle or neti pot. Be sure to boil water or use distilled if you use a pot or bottle--some parts of the country have bacteria even in drinking water that can cause infection.

If she has pollen allergies and goes outside, change clothes immediately after she comes in and rinse her nose with saline. Also, be sure to keep your car windows up and use the A/C even when she is not in the car. (This is less of an issue if you have leather seats.)

Not every responds the same to every allergy medication. I know Zyrtec is a favorite, but two of the four people in my house find it completely ineffective. Three of us can use Claritin. At least two of us can use Allegra.

I totally agree with getting the gut healthy. It's helped me a lot, and so has adding fish oil and probiotics (one with several strains of bacteria). Vitamin C and zinc are also really helpful if you get a quality supplement. Some of these things don't seem to make a big difference right away, but if you use them for a while and then stop, it's obvious.

We do most if the above. I could have written kbutton's post, but she said much better than I could have. :)

We use BlueAir air purifiers. We bought them online from Costco, and I order the replacements from BlueAir directly. We find the "smoke stop" type best - not because we smoke, but because they are carbon and filter VOCs, and DS reacts to those. You may not need that level of filtration. We limit any new purchases to those that low outgas. We replaced his new mattress with an organic cotton and wool one which doesn't outgas. Again, you may not need that, but if all else fails you might consider it.

Obviously removing carpet, curtains, blinds that collect dust/dsnder all helps. Wash everything else weekly in hot water. Change house filters more than you think you should.

We have our dogs groomed every two weeks, too. That made a huge difference.

Trying to decide what would be most helpful for DD.  She takes Zyrtec (generic version) daily and did not like the trial of nasal spray meds the pediatrician prescribed. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know what has helped most at your house:

1. Ban pets from her bedroom. We have a dog and 3 cats and she loves to cuddle them in her room.  I'd let her 2 leopard geckos stay.

My dd and ds are allergic to dogs. We don't allow pets in bedrooms.

2. Allergy covers for mattress and pillow.

As long as the pillows aren't feather pillows and you wash everything regularly, I don't feel like this helps much.

3. Rip out carpet from bedroom.

This isn't usually an option for us.

4. Air cleaner for bedroom (any recommendations?)

DS and I both have air purifiers. I'd look on amazon for those with lots of good reviews.

5. Add filter to ventilation vents in her room.  Would this help?  Would it make more sense to just change the whole house filter more often?

DH changes our filters once a month. We tried the better allergen vents, but our a/c unit had trouble keeping up when we had them.

6. Other?

I feel like Flonase (I'm currently on the generic) helps me more than any other med, and it has fewer side effects. You have to use it about 10 days before you start feeling the results.

I appear to be the only one with environmental allergies in my house. It's dust mites. I suspected it, as I have the same symptoms (post nasal drip resulting in coughing-zonking all morning and a good part of the day, necessitating boxes of tissue in every room and in the car) no matter where I am, whether there are pets or not. I was tested this summer.

Allegra and Flonase are my new best friends. I noticed an improvement almost immediately, probably 90%. I put a cover on my pillow but haven't done the bed. Haven't bought an air cleaner yet. I do NOT plan to take out the carpet upstairs (hardwood downstairs, carpet upstairs) or take down the curtains, as I'm so much better with just what I've done so far.

This filter is good, and one of the few that also works well on low.  At our old house, I had two of them running, one in our living room and one in our bedroom.  Our current location, I am not using either, it is better for my allergies here so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Whispure-Purifier-Cleaner-AP51030K/dp/B00440EKRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379134592&sr=8-1&keywords=510+air+filter

For me, cats are the worst, but I agree with kbutton, figure out what she is allergic to and then control that.

Regular vacuuming, an air filter in the bedroom, and allergy shots, with the use of nasal sprays during the most difficult times. Allergy shots have been the most helpful by far for both of my kids.

For myself, I developed horrific eye allergies a couple of years ago. Starting Veramyst a couple of weeks before that season began made a tremendous difference for me. I also just stay indoors for that time period. I took raw honey from about January until the allergies were well past. I don't know if that helped or if it was all the Veramyst.

Wow!  Thanks for all the information.  I'll try to answer some of the questions and provide more information here.  DD is 13 and has declined getting allergy testing and is not interested in pursuing possible allergy shots.  Since she is the one who has to suffer from the allergy symptoms, I'm willing to let her decide on whether to pursue these diagnoses/treatments. 

I used "environmental allergies" to make it clear that I wasn't talking about food allergies.  She definitely shows more symptoms in the spring and summer but has at least a low level of symptoms year round.  Recently, she told me that she noticed that her symptoms are much better during the time she is at her dance studio.  For this reason, I suspect she is also allergic to our cats/dog and possibly dust, etc.

She was taking Clariten for years and we switched to Zyrtec to see if it would help more.  It did seem to help more at first but her symptoms seem to be getting worse again. She's tried the nasal spray medication and didn't like it.

I will look into all the suggestions provided.

Thank you!

Mom here with a 17yr old dd who went to the ER for an asthma attack this morning.  :crying:

The allergy shots made a HUGE improvement for my dd.  But, the shot she is taking is only 1x per year and she took it in the spring.  I'll have to get the name of it as I don't remember it.  Her problems peak in the spring and fall.  More than one person after church today told me that their allergies are off the charts bad right now.  So, whatever is exploding outside, combined with an older/musty church that uses incense set her off badly.   

If you suspect it's something outside, then don't let her sleep with the windows open (my dd doesn't or she wakes up feeling miserable).   Washing the sheets regularly and using a newish pillow make a big difference for her too... we haven't gone all the way to allergy covers for the bed, but we do use something for the pillows.   I'm considering removing the carpet in her room and replacing with hardwood.  The thing is that is a very expensive and drastic change.  I don't know how much benefit it will bring.

Allergy testing for my dd didn't help much.  It came back that she was only allergic to mites.  Well, there's definitely *something* outside that sets her off in spring/fall but it didn't show up on the tests.  So, I don't blame your dd for avoiding the tests. 

The HEPA filter in her room, in addition to one in the main part of the house, helps.  She keeps hers running nearly 24/7.  Taking Claritin helps - but after reading some replies here, I may see if she wants to switch, at least during the worst months.   She's also on daily doses of Advair, Singular & and then a rescue inhaler.

The thing I've found after dealing with this for about 5 years is that no one person responds the same way to allergens and meds.  And, what works during one season may fail during a particularly bad season for your child.  :grouphug:

Mom here with a 17yr old dd who went to the ER for an asthma attack this morning.  :crying:

Oh no.  :(  I hope she's feeling better now.

Just wanted to mention that we removed the carpet and put hard floor into DS's room, on his allergist's advice.  We saw a difference right away.  I know you're on the fence, and it might not be the magic bullet for you, but just wanted to pass along our experience.  

It is so hard to figure out allergies.

Oh no.   :(  I hope she's feeling better now.

Just wanted to mention that we removed the carpet and put hard floor into DS's room, on his allergist's advice.  We saw a difference right away.  I know you're on the fence, and it might not be the magic bullet for you, but just wanted to pass along our experience.  

It is so hard to figure out allergies.

Thank you.  She's actually doing amazingly well.  By the time she got into the ER she was fine - a miracle really.  But, it was very scary beforehand. 

Thank you for your experience.  After today I'm willing to take it to another level if it will help avoid the ER.

Thank you.  She's actually doing amazingly well.  By the time she got into the ER she was fine - a miracle really.  But, it was very scary beforehand. 

Thank you for your experience.  After today I'm willing to take it to another level if it will help avoid the ER.

Thank goodness she is doing well now.  

That must have been so scary.  DS has never had an attack that didn't resolve quickly with his rescue inhaler, I sometimes forget how scary it can become.   

A nasal corticosteroid is most effective for my seasonal pollen allergies. I have tried a number of brands and IMO Veramyst is best. It's the same drug as Flonase with a different (better, I beliebe) delivery system. It's a finer mist that doesn't feel like a bunch of liquid is being squirted up your nose. If your dd is 13, she should be able to tolerate it in exchange for reduced allergy symptoms. Personally I would much rather take a quick daily blast than have every empty space in my skull fill up with fluid!

For my younger allergy sufferers, we did all you listed except cover individual vents and rip out carpet (but that's on the list). We have no pets and do have a portable HEPA filter air purifier. Staying on top of things is very helpful - shorter hair cuts, evening showers before lying down on the bed, washing bedding regularly in hot water, and changing pillowcases more frequently all seem to help, in addition to antihistamines.

My oldest is doing very well taking a daily generic Zyrtec and Flonase. We also removed all carpet. I wash the bedding and curtains in her room every week on HOT and vacuum the entire house every other day. The dog is not allowed in her room at all. She has not used her inhaler in months since we've implemented these things.

If it is animals, frequent vacuuming will help, although if she is cuddling them, the vacuuming will not really matter much...

You could ban from bedroom, vacuum frequently, and have her give one last cuddle and then shower before sleeping, putting on an outfit with no animal hair and going directly to her room.

I'm allergic to several types of pet bedding, including the ground walnuts that some geckos use, that is actually almost as bad for me as pet hair.  

The air filters were very helpful to me in our last house.  I started out with just one and moved it from my room at night to the main floor during the day, they don't take long to start working if they are the good kind (but good is expensive, the ones that work well are around $300.)  Eventually, we got a second one as a Christmas present so I didn't have to lug it around every morning and every night.

If your daughter resists testing and shots because she is worried about being poked, I understand. They actually use really tiny needles, and it's not that bad--I used to be totally needle-phobic. I never got sick when I was a kid, so being ill as an adult was a big adjustment. The pokes for the test weren't bad--many actually tickled and made my muscles twitch over my ribs. The itching during the short test was pretty impressive though! If she starts to exhibit asthma symptoms, I would seriously consider testing and shots--they reduce your risk of developing asthma in the first place.

One poster mentioned her child being allergic to only mites on the testing but miserable anyway. Part (but not all) of how that happens is that they only test for light pollens that travel, such as ragweed. Heavier pollens like you see on daylilies, for example, don't travel far, so they can drive you crazy in your own yard or the neighbor's, but they won't bother you from down the street (generally). So, they don't test for those or give shots for those pollens (they have to draw a line somewhere since you can be allergic to hundreds of things).

Also, some people have histamine reactions to stress or have chronic/semi-chronic symptoms that behave like allergies (my dad has had this trouble at times). I personally think that is related to gut issues, and many of those folks also have bouts of serious chemical sensitivities to perfume, soaps, etc. Unfortunately, the folks I know who have those problems are also fairly unresponsive to allergy meds and asthma meds.

If your daughter is opposed to shots and testing, I would look up pollen counts by zip code online and see how she feels according to what is pollinating. That might help you figure some things out. Then, if the same stuff blooms early the next year (we once had ragweed two or three months early, and it's my worst allergy), you can head it off early. Also, I would seriously consider alternatively treatment with diet, supplements, etc. One inflammatory type of condition predisposes you to the rest--asthma, arthritis, autoimmune stuff, etc. The gut seems to be connected to a lot of this. One caution about local raw honey, which many people try...it made my symptoms worse, particularly my asthma. I think it was partly because I was already doing the shots, and it was overload. Many people find relief this way, but if you try it, I would be really cautious and start slowly to be sure it doesn't make your DD very ill or provoke asthma symptoms. Many of my symptoms resolved after doing an elimination diet for yeast (candida) overgrowth and then removing some food items from my diet permanently (I tested as having no food allergies). Oh, certain foods, particularly herbs and some fruits are related to the things outside we are allergic to. For instance, chamomile is related to ragweed. I used to love it, and I can't drink it, esp. during ragweed season. I think Echinacea is also related. At any rate, it makes me absolutely miserable. I think melons are a food that can cause people's allergies to pollen to be worse during certain times of the year. This is something you can find specifics about online or at the library. Many people who are allergic to poison ivy cannot consume cashews (unless properly processed), mango, and some other fruits because they have a common allergen. My hubby will get "honey crusted lesions" all over around his mouth if he eats mango, touches mango juice by accident, etc. I can't even buy it for my kids because he'll end up breaking out somehow.

We bought a netipot. Put in hardwood floors. And began taking dhist. We also changed our diet considerably as we read that environmental allergies stem from gut issues and food sensitivities. We greatly reduced our sugar intake, began ordering honey locally, eliminated gluten except as a treat, and switched to organic dairy bc/ raw dairy isn't available in our state. The dhist has been quite helpful.

We were using expensive filters. Our hvac man said to switch to the cheapest filters and switch them at least once a month. He says it is the time factor as much as anything that matters. We added a reminder to our calendar to switch them. It is cheaper to buy the cheapest filters and change them weekly than to buy the expensive ones.

I hope she gets some relief!

I have environmental (dust & mold) allergies as well as a host of seasonal/outdoor (pine, grasses, weeds) and a recently diagnosed wheat allergy.  And have mild asthma that is controlled by an inhaler.    Its all gotten worse for me as I've gotten older- not the reverse. :(

I have found a lot of relief in adjusting my diet...I eat no sugar/high fat, but of course I have a wheat allergy so cutting that out helps...but I had read that high sugar increases inflammation etc.   I've eaten this way for over 1 year and its tough to be 100% compliant, 100% of the time, but it helps. :)  When we first moved to Colorado, I had 5 sinus infections in a row plus a terrible round of bronchitis that resulted in a cracked rib.  It was after that wretched 6 months, I decided I needed to do something more- and started juicing then switched to LCHF eating. 

Other tidbits:

I use a neti pot/sinus rinse regularly- especially more for seasonal allergies- huge help!

I take Zyrtec everyday  as well as REDD Sinus (quercitin, bromelain, NAC, stinging nettles)...common combination for natural decongestant.- daily.  Occasional nasal spray or Zylitol spray...

We have mattress cover, air purifier (BlueAir) and Himalayan salt lamp (amazon.com) in our bedroom...  Use hepa filter vacuum (getting rid of carpet is a long way off).    

We live in a dry climate which is actually troubling for sinus issues-- too dry.  So have a furnace humidifer to keep the house at 40% humidity. THat has helped.

Hope that helps :)

No cats in the room, no carpet unless it's new and kept clean, no feathers, no mold or mildew (so never sleep in a basement-type room). Those are the first things that jump to mind. My daughters' allergies/asthma is always worse in the fall, and one of them cannot rake leaves because that triggers it too.

The best thing that ever happened for my one daughter's asthma and allergies was to move to Costa Rica. She doesn't have any problems down there at all, and has been able to eliminate all meds.