Menu

do you think there would be a need for this in a hs community?

I was talking to a parent today and a totally wild thought occurred to me and I ran it by dh and told him it's just an interesting idea, and something just to keep in the back of our heads......

Dh is a civil engineer, has his degree in engineering and math. And he is very gifted in teaching. We are facing some unpleasantness with his job situation and so I was just thinking.....what if he were to do classes for homeschoolers in physics, calculus, engineering stuff (LOL, see how much I know), etc......one of his laments with our kids has been that he wants to teach them elementary physics, force, pulleys, on their level and have them think it's fun and understand the basics instead of being like me and thinking 'calculus and physics is hard'. And we've been kind of surprised that there isn't a lot out there especially at an elementary level.

Would you pay to have your kids take a class like that - at any age? Would there be an age that you would prefer? Is my idea crazy or do you think it's a good one? LOL.

We actually live in the middle of a huge homeschooling group and they do have a nice selection of 'outside classes' that are taught once a week by parents, usually for older students, and there is nothing like these classes offered at all...the only one offered is a CAD class.

What says the hive?

Yes, I would, especially if the person teaching the class has made his living apply the math and the science - so can truly testify to the real world applications.

I think it is a great idea! There is a local co-op in my area that charges a small fee for classes, but I think they are just covering costs and no one is making money on it.

However - if you have a local rec center or community college, I suggest contacting them to see if your husband can teach a class that is geared towards home schoolers, or even after schoolers. Our local center has such classes for PE, art, martial arts, and I think they may have a science one. We haven't signed up because they are too late in the afternoon, but we hope to participate in the future.

He won't make a lot of money, but it could be a good way (if he can squeeze it into his schedule) to earn some money and teach kids something that is missing in many schools, or that parents home schooling may not feel they have good enough expertise to teach their children effectively.

Would you pay to have your kids take a class like that - at any age? Would there be an age that you would prefer? Is my idea crazy or do you think it's a good one? ...What says the hive?

Our homeschool group offers a biology class taught by a gifted teacher -- she uses Apologia biology -- and the kids are really getting a lot from this class. I say (to your dh) "Life's short. Follow your passion!" :)

Yes, and what about teaching online classes to older kids for extra income.

I'd also love to have a local JETS leader, that wouldn't pay though.

That is a great idea! I checked out our states online public school program, and was not impressed. I know there are other online courses out there for home schooler.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/TTUISD/

I haven't check these out beyond reading about them.

Perhaps your husband could consider something like this as well, working for an online school - or even offering his own geared towards home and after schoolers?

Scott Powell teaches at the Van Damme academy in CA, and has an online program for adults and for children.

http://www.historyatourhouse.com/

I don't have any cash for online classes now, and personally, I am enjoy working with my daughter through history. But perhaps he could offer some advice to your husband regarding starting something like this. I don't know him personally (just by reputation), so I don't know if he can, but it may be worth contacting him as well.

It was a lot of fun, frankly. You won't get rich though, trust me. My best classes were actually what would be considered science enrichment classes for grade school in a single topic for eight weeks with lots of experiments. The higher level classes were frustrating. I naively didn't take hefty deposits ahead of time, spent the summer preparing, and then I had not enough students in the fall to make it worth my time. This happened twice, and I gave it up. I also began asking my insurance agent a lot of questions about my personal liability, and decided that issue was a biggie too. The church hosting me didn't cover instructors who didn't go to that church.

Of late I've focused on my college teaching because in the end it actually pays better even though part-time college professors aren't paid near what I used to earn per hour. And the state pays for liability insurance, supplies, books, and copies.

Heck yeah.

As a young man, my DH taught physics to older elementary kids at an experimental school in Denver. It's one thing that made him predisposed to choose homeschooling. He knew learning didn't have to be awful or painful, and you can teach kids a lot more sophisticated information than people usually think is possible. It just needs to be presented properly, with hands-on, real-life applications.

We did a big unit on simple machines when the boys were really young, but they could take on much more now. A good teacher is a fantastic thing for young minds.

I recommend he get payment first. People [even -- gasp! -- homeschoolers] are notorious for saying they want to do something and then neglecting to pay for it. Payment first, then you will know what numbers you have, and can plan accordingly. And no unpleasant dunning required.

Sounds good, I would love something like that for the kids, but price would be a big concern.

Any chance he can start by doing some summer science camps? Just to get a following of students and to see if it is something he enjoys before being committed on a longer basis?

Are you kidding? In a heartbeat!

I'd even pay travel expenses!

Well, maybe not...but I think you are on to something!

This sounds like a plan. I'll even pitch in for travel expenses. Better yet, maybe we could rent out some space near the Air & Space Hudvar Hazy Center. Oh how I wish.:)

Seriously though, I think there would be a great demand for something of this nature. I know some of ps systems in our area have been trying to work up some kind of mentoring program between engineering type businesses and the schools because there are so few kids going into engineering/sciences these days.

I say go for it!

wow. Cool beans. I didn't expect such a good response. Sometimes I guess I do have good ideas. :D We were talking more about it last night and our church would let us use the building as long as we help with the heat bill when we're in there.

Dh's office has cut hours back to 4 days a week, apparently indefinitely :001_huh: He is wondering if he could work out some sort of schedule with them where he could stay on 4 days this fall....He's thinking to maybe do 1 upper elementary class, 1 jr. high class, and 1 high school class, to see what kind of response that would get and what there might be a greater need for.

Check out Real Science 4 Kids.
That is actually the curriculum I was looking at a couple years ago for our kids 'when they got older', and thought it looked really cool. That's when we were surprised that there wasn't more of that kind of stuff for kids. I was looking at the RR catalog last night and was surprised that there were only a couple physics books even for jr high/high school.

I mentioned the idea of a short summer camp to kind of test it out and he just groaned and said 'I really don't want to do a camp' LOL. But he is intrigued by the idea of doing it online. Something like that would probably be a ways down the road, but I think that would be kind of cool, too.

Would you pay to have your kids take a class like that - at any age? Would there be an age that you would prefer? Is my idea crazy or do you think it's a good one? LOL.

QUOTE]

You betcha - I'd pay for a class like that. His idea sounds very similar to the science clubs I have helped start. For those of us non-engineers, we have to work pretty hard to come up with this kind of stuff and would have loved to have input from someone like your dh!

While I *personally* wouldn't pay for that (because my dh is a Physics PhD and a talented teacher too!) I know a lot of homeschoolers who would. People in our homeschooling community have asked me if my dh might be willing to teach Physics and higher math to their kids when they are older. So I KNOW there is a demand for it out there. I asked my dh if he would consider teaching Physics in a non-mathy way to upper elementary students, but he wasn't terribly interested in that. I know people would have jumped at the chance if he had been. I don't know if one can make a living doing it, but I know there is a demand.

We're near Kalamazoo. I think we're really going to try and do this. Dh is really excited about it. He's going to sit down this weekend and look thru Rainbow Resource and look at the TOC of some books and come up with a rough schedule so we get get word out in time for people to plan for the fall. The only huge obstacle is getting his job to agree to him staying on 4 days a week :001_huh:

I was talking to a parent today and a totally wild thought occurred to me and I ran it by dh and told him it's just an interesting idea, and something just to keep in the back of our heads......

Dh is a civil engineer, has his degree in engineering and math. And he is very gifted in teaching. We are facing some unpleasantness with his job situation and so I was just thinking.....what if he were to do classes for homeschoolers in physics, calculus, engineering stuff (LOL, see how much I know), etc......one of his laments with our kids has been that he wants to teach them elementary physics, force, pulleys, on their level and have them think it's fun and understand the basics instead of being like me and thinking 'calculus and physics is hard'. And we've been kind of surprised that there isn't a lot out there especially at an elementary level.

We actually live in the middle of a huge homeschooling group and they do have a nice selection of 'outside classes' that are taught once a week by parents, usually for older students, and there is nothing like these classes offered at all...the only one offered is a CAD class.

What says the hive?

Yep I would. Right now we pay $115 a month for science classes. It is a new subject every month. They meet Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1-3. This includes hands on activities, some sort of keep sake (reading book about subject or biography about persons life, in bug class it is a moth to raise then mount/preserve, in water painting class it is a framed piece of art student painted & portfolio to keep rest of art in) & very cool teacher made curriculum we get to keep. So yes, I'd pay!