Menu

Do you do Standardized Testing for your Elementary kids?

This week I spoke to a homeschooling friend of mine who was very upset because she thought her umbrella school required her 2nd grader to take the 3-day standardized test at their school. (She later found out it was not a requirement but since she had already registered him, he will still take the test.)

This conversation started me thinking. I have never done standardized testing with mine and I wondered how many of you give your children standardized tests, why or why not, and which ones you use.

Yes. I test. I would even if it weren't required by the state.

I submit the CAT results (which we do each Spring -- now) to the state in July. I get my CAT from Christian Liberty Academy Press. I feel like this is the "easiest" test, but also gives the least amount of information back. We do this test at the level dictated by their age-grade (what grade they would be in public school).

For my own use, I use the ITBS, which I administer myself through Bob Jones University Press Testing Service. However, for my purposes, I usually administer this test out of level to give me better information for planning and/or adapting school work (I do this test in August). By out of level, I mean my rising 2nd grader will take the test for a rising 4th grader... that way I can see at what level she is truly learning (theoretically, anyhow).

Lisa

We test here, too. Mostly for my dh's peace of mind - are they keeping up with the other kids? do they know everything they should in case something happens and we have to put them back in ps? - but it's also a useful tool for me. I know my kids strengths and weaknesses but it's nice to have the test results to confirm them! I also like that I have a paper trail in case anyone ever comes gunning for us; and that I can give the results (even though they really don't mean much) to the grandparents (who don't say a lot, but aren't all that fond of the homeschooling).

I just saw that you wondered what ones we use....I take the kids to a local private school and they take the SAT10. My 1st grader will not be taking the test this year - his reading is just not up to snuff yet (I think he's got some issues, but we can't get in for testing until mid summer) and I don't want to make testing into a neg. experience.

Edited by Aunty Social

Illinois doesn't require any testing, but we've done a bit.

I've had my sixth-grader take the Terra Nova test twice in previous years. That particular test because it's the one offered by our local homeschool group, and the purpose is not to determine what he knows. I pretty much already know that. It's to teach him how to take a standardized test.

This spring both boys will take it. Until now, I haven't had my younger son take a standardized test because he is less anxious about new situations, and didn't seem to need the de-sensitization that his older brother did. Also, he learns more slowly and probably won't test as well since his recall needs more prompting than his brother; I didn't want lower test results to harm his self-concept if big brother decided to tease when I wasn't listening.

Big brother is now big enough to understand why teasing his little brother is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure I can trust him to not compare brother's scores to his own at that age or now.

Taking tests is a skill like learning to roller skate or write a book report. I want the boys to learn how to do this skill so that when it's important to their future, taking a test won't be a stumbling block for them and they can concentrate on showing their knowlege.

Our umbrella school does require standardized testing so we have to have it done. It's worth it though because I would like to see my sons progress on an unbiased scale. It just worries me trying to meet all the national standards so that he will be on the "level" the test wants him to be.

When we lived in MN we were required to test so I used the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. We moved to IN (where we are not required to test) last fall I thought that may be I would skip this year because of the stress of the move and other issues but ds asked if he would be taking it - he likes it because it's a break from regular school for him :-).

So we are doing that this week. I think it is helpful to have some experience in test taking. I also like having some paperwork to show that we are on track - if any authority decided to question me.

our state requires it (encourages is maybe more accurate). My daughter has taken the Iowa once and the Woodcock Johnson twice. I prefer the WJ even though it is more expensive, I just like the way it is administered better (one on one) and I am more interested in the results (tests to the point of failure, not just within that child's grade level).

We move a lot. I test yearly with the ITBS to get my daughter used to testing in case we ever live in a place where a test is required.

I actually find it very interesting to see what she knows and doesn't know that I haven't taught her yet.

For example, last year she got every spelling word right, even ones she couldn't spell on her own (I did tell her prior to the tests as part of test taking techniques that for this kind of question, she was just supposed to pick the one that looked the best or looked the least silly.)

She got every single capitalization and punctuation question wrong (She should have gotten a few right by random chance!)

And, she got all but one grammar question correct without any formal study of grammar. (By grammar I mean subject/verb agreement and things along these lines.)

The capitalization questions were especially interesting to me, to me they seemed so easy--I would have thought she would have gotten them since she had been reading well most of the year. (This year we did explicitly study a bit of grammar including capitalization and punctuation with a modified quickly moving version of FLL and my own lessons.)

Also, there was a question where the correct answer was an acorn, there was no doubt in my mind that she would know it, we had acorns in our backyard at old old house and she remembered playing with them. But, she missed it, evidently we didn't talk specifically enough about the exact question that was asked!

we live in MN and required to test each year from ages 7 to 16. We use the Peabody test with my 11 yr old DS, the Woodcock Johnson test with 14 yr old DD, and every other year or so I have each of them do the ITBS. We are not required to report the results to our district or the state, but I get different information from each test. I also think it is a good skill for the kids to learn to "fill in the bubble".

LauraD in MN

I am not testing this year but I did last year. I administered the CAT test at home and the timing was such each section is timed but the overall test is not, so we could take a break after each section if we chose. Last year's was for K so the test really did not tell me anything I did not already know and I would not expect it to this year either which is why I opted against it this year. I may do it again in the future if I feel it is warranted for my children.

How do you prepare your dc for the tests? The environment would be very foreign to children who have only been homeschooled. Do the long hours pose a challenge for younger students?

Well, I take the lazy man's route - workbooks!

Seriously, they have these workbooks from Scoring High that are really great at preparing the kids to take the test.

How do you prepare your dc for the tests? The environment would be very foreign to children who have only been homeschooled. Do the long hours pose a challenge for younger students?

The only thing I did was to purchase a test-prep booklet years ago that had samples of what would be tested. I wanted my kids to understand how to fill in the circles, and understand some of the methods of testing (for example, something like this: Which word below has the same sound as the "ou" in bought? Thou, naught, through, furlow) I spent maybe 15 minutes with each child over the years just familiarizing her/him with the various types of questions. That's it. No studying or prepping per se.

Ria

In the state of Texas, testing is not a requirement. But I do test just to make sure my kids are on grade level. I use the Iowa test from Seton Homeschool.

They are extremely quick in grading the tests. You can send the test in and get the results the following week.

Blessings

Zoraida

This year for the first time! They'll be taking the Standford Achievement Test, since it's being offered by a local homeschooling group, which gets me out of administering the test. :D

It's not required, but I think it's good for them to learn "how to take a bubble test", and I am curious how they test - I have to admit to a secret fear that they'll fill the bubbles in on the wrong line or something and bomb the test...:rolleyes:

We are not required to test but I did it last year for my then twin 2nd graders and will be doing it this year for my now 3rd graders and 2nd grader. I do it with a group and we use the Stanford 10.

I found it to be very helpful to find out where my dc were in each subject so that I could see what areas I needed to focus on more. Plus, last year I was amazed to find out how advanced one of my boys was in reading which helped me evaluate if I was challenging him enough. And since they scored well overall, it was an encouragement to me and gave me confidence that I was doing alright.

We are not required to test and we do not. I'm not a big fan of standardized tests. I feel quite comfortable with what ds is learning and would rather spend the time covering more of the material I feel is important vs giving a test. I understand why people feel the testing is important but think not testing works best for our family.

This year I have opted to buy a test prep book to do for our own benefit, just so he can get used to the process.

Our state requires annual testing for all homeschoolers over the age of 8. My DD's first test was the CAT because I could get it and administer it at home. Now we are part of a virtual academy who also requires annual testing. They allow us to use their test (MAP assessment) or any test accepted by the state. I use theirs because it is easy...at home on the computer...and it gives useful results.

This week I spoke to a homeschooling friend of mine who was very upset because she thought her umbrella school required her 2nd grader to take the 3-day standardized test at their school. (She later found out it was not a requirement but since she had already registered him, he will still take the test.)

This conversation started me thinking. I have never done standardized testing with mine and I wondered how many of you give your children standardized tests, why or why not, and which ones you use.

Our umbrella school requires the Stanford 10 for 1st through 8th. My 2nd grade daughter just took it for the first time a few weeks ago.

But it's required. Once they turn 7, I have to have them registered with the State. That means I have to keep attendance records, shot records and give them a standardized test each year.

We use the IOWA. Next week actually. Mine are 3rd, 6th and 8th. DS was technically too young last year, turned 7 after the cutoff date so he didn't need to have it all. But I tested him anyway for the experience so once it mattered, it wasn't new.

We've always tested. We do the SAT every year in March. The tester comes to the house for two half-days. We get the results in 4-10 weeks. I like this test because it gives me an idea where I need to put more emphasis and the kids are exposed to standardized testing so it won't be a surprise when they take their college tests.

How do you prepare your dc for the tests?

Umm, this morning in the car, on the way to the ITBS, I asked ds how to divide fractions, how to multiply fractions, where the commas go in a series, what punctuation you use in dates, in business letters, etc. (IOW, not much prep! Actually, I just remembered 2 days ago that he was signed up for the test - we've been out of town for 2 wks!) He always does pretty poorly on punctuation and capitalization, although he can always tell me what the sentence SHOULD look like - he just insists it uses up too much graphite and too many trees to add caps and commas. Smart alek.

In the past (this is his 4th non-consecutive year doing the ITBS), I *have* used workbooks to get him used to 1) the bubbles to color in, and 2) the time it takes to sit there.

We always stress that the scores are for ME to know where *I* need to focus on teaching him. However, this year, I think he's in BIG TROUBLE if he can't capitalize!!! (Just kidding!)

After today, he said he thought he spelled "----ible" wrong, but he's spelled it at least 4 times since we got home, so I think he's learned it :). (The "----" are because I didn't want to give away one of the spelling words for this year and skew those results LOL!)

We don't test. And even if it were required, I'd be hard pressed to follow those rules.

Testing tells me nothing I don't already know. And to be honest, how my kids "measure up" to every other kid in the state doesn't matter one whit to me.

Now in high school I might consider it, if they're college minded.

I start testing them after fourth grade. I administer the ITBS myself, at home, under very relaxed conditions, for the first several years. When my dd finished sixth grade, I had her take a different proctored test, for the experience. We still do the ITBS at home, for continuity and comparison. (I'm not recommending everyone take two tests, but she really loves standardized tests!)

Yes - it is required every other year for 4th-8th grades and then every year in High School. I like the PASS test from Hewitt for the younger ones and use the CAT test for the older ones - I can administer both at home.

I found that I could always predict the results and I do think testing has been helpful in preparing my oldest for the PSAT and SAT.

Since my 5th grade daughter took a test last year, she does not actually have to take one this year. We will have her work evaluated by our homeschool group (another assessment option in NY). BUT I am planning for her to take the PASS test again, just for our information. She and I would like to see how much better she does, as she was very *behind* (reading, grammar, writing, math) till the end of third grade and she has been working very hard this year!

HTH!

It's not required in Florida, since we always do the evaluation as our official thing for the county. However, we do test on a whenever-we-feel-like-it basis.

We do it because it allows us to qualify our kids for the academic talent search programs, because it often ends up giving me information that is actually useful and because both of mine have been mildly test phobic and need the practice.

Over the years, we've given the PASS, the CAT/5 and the ITBS. I think we'll be doing the ITBS this year. I've ordered from all of these places and had good experiences:

http://www.pesdirect.com/achievement_tests.html

http://www.familylearning.org/testing.html

http://www.baysideschoolservices.com/

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/test/tmain.asp (PASS only)

I had never given my dc any standardized tests and then this year my dd decided that she wants to go next year to our county high school that requires both a standardized test given outside of the school and also their admissions test which is the IOWA test. Well, we found out about the admissions test only 1 week before the test date so all I had time to really teach dd about taking a standardized test is how to fill in the bubbles and how to fill in the information sheet. She did pass the test but she was very stressed about it. She said that having it being timed was nerve wracking to her. Also, she did not go to the bathroom before the test (she assumed that they would have breaks during the test to go to the bathroom) but no breaks and the test was 2 1/4 hours long. Dd said that she wished she had had some previous experience taking standardized tests.

For the required standardized test taken outside of the school, I was able to give her the CAT test and submit those grades. She scored 99 on that test, I don't know what she scored on the Iowa test that the school gave her, They only will tell the students if they passed or failed.

By the way, a friend of dd's that is public schooled and also wanted to go to this high school failed the admissions test. So I don't know what that says, she obviously must have taken many such tests before in school!

Anyway, in conclusion, dd really wishes that I had given her standardized tests here at home just so she could have been familiar with the whole format and process.

Guest kimberlyjacobi

We live in Texas, do not have to test. I will not until my children are hs and only then if I think it is of any use to their future. I am a 2nd generation homeschooler. My mother homeschool my younger brother, sister and myself from k-12. We did test in the early years. From the veiw of a student I can say this: I was a 'book learner' I never had trouble with reading a text book and absorbing knowledge, I never stressed about tests. To me they were fun, kind of a competition with myself, if you will. I always scored high. On the other hand, my sister was a completely different type of learner. She was very auditory. She hated text book work. She still to this day has to force herself to pay very close attention to things that she reads or she will not understand the meaning, but if you read outloud to her, she gets it in a second. Every year around test time she freaked out. While my brother was super-smart, he did not read until he was 10. After that you couldn't get a book out of his hand. Neither of them scored well, it was always drama at our house that time of year.

Now I have 3 kds and they are similiar learning styles. I believe I know my childrens ability FAR over any standardized test. Children are not standardized. They are each very different. If not we would all be stuck in one of those twighlight zone eppisodes were everyone is the same exact person and no one has the ability to think on there own.

Sorry for the rant =)