Menu

Help, oh help! What to do with an 18 month old who can climb out of the crib?

Unfortunately, he doesn't do so very gracefully and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. He seems to have developed some new fears and is waking up at night crying. Weds. night we heard him cry out, then a thud, then he started to SCREAM, and when I went to get him, he had the lights on and opened the door for me. :glare: Tonight, I put him to bed, and he clearly did not buy into the plan, because he cried for a while and then really tuned up. When I went in to get him he was hanging on the outside of the crib, not sure what to do next and clearly terrified.

He's been sleeping through the night really well for quite some time so this is new for him. I'm not sure what's up except I believe it could be night terrors. What do those look like?

I know he can't continue to sleep in the crib as it is now. We tried him in a toddler bed on Thursday night and that did not go well. He liked it a lot, and would lay down in it and cover himself up - all good until it was time to actually sleep in there. Then he would have none of it. After spending the night sleeping with him in a chair, I was not up for spending the night keeping him in his little bed, so dh put the crib back up.

What are my options here?

We are considering one of these crib tent things.

We could take the side off the crib and put a bed rail on there, so that he could get out if he needs to and not fall. However, I think that poses the same problem as the toddler bed - he's not interested in staying there unless he has to.

I know my SIL had to take my nephew out of his crib early on - my mom said they made a pallet for him on the floor with sheep skins and a quilt, and he slept on that for a long time. We could do that but we would have to do a lot of work on his room - take a lot of stuff out and put a gate in the doorway, I'm thinking.

He will not sleep when he's in bed with us. He talks, claps his hands, makes kissing noises, sits up, plays with the cat, you name it, but no sleeping. We're not terribly keen on co-sleeping but I would do it if it would work - sadly, it will not.

Any suggestions? Is the tent a horrible idea? I am NOT ready for him to be out of a crib yet! :eek: The most important thing is his safety, though, and I will do what I have to do.

I haven't used one, but I was going to suggest one of those crib tent things. Maybe someone here has a BTDT advice on that.

Re. night terrors. What you are describing are not night terrors. With night terrors they are not awake. It is a cousin to sleepwalking. They scream, cry out, thrash, even run about but they are totally oblivious to what is happening.

Children at that age do have new fears as they discover more of the world. He may have a new-found fear of the dark or of being alone. I'm not sure what to suggest - I suspect you will have to do a trial and error type thing to see what works for him. You might try doing soothing type activities (singing to him, rubbing his back etc) to get him at least drowsy before you leave. Or you may see if he will settle down with a snugglie of some kind or soothing music (but mine really wanted me and only me - not even dh). It was frustrating because I didn't have time for it! But I can say that they did outgrow it eventually!

Thanks Jean - I did work really hard, sang and rocked him for a long time, before I laid him down. When I first laid him down he popped right up and cried so then we did the singing and rocking. Then he cried for a long time and I debated whether I should go back in - and I'm so glad I did because he was hanging in midair, bless him!

I tried to give him his quilt, which he loves, and his "puppy," which I've tried to encourage him to love but he's clearly not attached yet. He tossed them both out at me onto the floor. :lol:

We are probably going to have to do the tent thing, and spend more time getting him sleepy before bed. I have tried not to let him nurse until he's completely asleep, but we might do that for a while and see how it goes. I don't want him to be scared in his own little room. He has a night light, but I could leave on a brighter light. You're right, trial and error will have to be the plan. Thanks for listening and responding!

I always put mine in a toddler bed in on a mattress on the floor (actually my last one never did make it into the baby bed). I just lay down with them and quiet them to sleep. It takes time to get them used to the new routine, but it is better than climbing out.

I have only had to do this with my girls, and they were sharing a room, so they weren't alone and would usually stay in there together. The Snort does not have any intention of staying in there. I feel like he's maybe a little young for this transition - hence the thought of the crib tent.

If we get one and it's awful, though, I will have to do the mattress on the floor. I'd like to wait until he's at least 2 though if I can.

. . . one of those crib tent things with each of my kids.

It worked fine, although there was an adjustment period. My daughter, especially, resented being locked in and seemed freaked out by it for the first few days.

Thanks, Jenny. I can see him being pretty ticked off at being locked in his crib! It's better than possibly breaking some bones, though. I hope Babies R Us has one in stock.

Thanks Jean - I did work really hard, sang and rocked him for a long time, before I laid him down. When I first laid him down he popped right up and cried so then we did the singing and rocking. Then he cried for a long time and I debated whether I should go back in - and I'm so glad I did because he was hanging in midair, bless him!

I tried to give him his quilt, which he loves, and his "puppy," which I've tried to encourage him to love but he's clearly not attached yet. He tossed them both out at me onto the floor. :lol:

We are probably going to have to do the tent thing, and spend more time getting him sleepy before bed. I have tried not to let him nurse until he's completely asleep, but we might do that for a while and see how it goes. I don't want him to be scared in his own little room. He has a night light, but I could leave on a brighter light. You're right, trial and error will have to be the plan. Thanks for listening and responding!

For what it's worth (and now I'll probably get slammed for being a bad, unfeeling parent), I never thought it was a good idea to wait until kids are asleep to either put them in bed or leave the room. First, because when they wake up alone, they may panic. But mostly because they must eventually learn to go to sleep on their own.

We did the Ferber thing with each of ours. It was awful for the first couple of days, but turned out to be one of the best choices we made as parents. It made for years and years of no-fuss bedtimes and kids who felt content and confident going to sleep without adult involvement.

Slam away. I'm sure I deserve it.

UGH! My kids were all out of the crib at 12 months, because they did not like to be confined LOL. My DD was so scared of the tent thing that she vomited from getting worked up, so it went back, but it does work for a few friends that have tried it.

It is hard when they discover that they can get out of their bed, and it does seem to be a trial and error thing. Sorry. Hopefully you will find the answer soon.

For what it's worth (and now I'll probably get slammed for being a bad, unfeeling parent), I never thought it was a good idea to wait until kids are asleep to either put them in bed or leave the room. First, because when they wake up alone, they may panic. But mostly because they must eventually learn to go to sleep on their own.

We did the Ferber thing with each of ours. It was awful for the first couple of days, but turned out to be one of the best choices we made as parents. It made for years and years of no-fuss bedtimes and kids who felt content and confident going to sleep without adult involvement.

No slamming here - I did Babywise (Preparation for Parenting) with Emma and it worked like a charm. Not so much with Abbie. I have been a real softie with Isaac but he has been such a good baby, I can really count on one hand the times I've had to let him cry a bit before he went to sleep. He's been a dream - slept through the night for the most part whether he fell asleep nursing or not. The last couple of weeks, he's even been waving goodbye to me as I leave the room! So cute.

I wouldn't mind having him cry for a few minutes (by "long time" I meant 15 minutes) except that he takes it upon himself to climb out now! Not so good. We have to change something. If he's going to have to cry it out, he's going to have to do it from the floor, LOL.

I don't know what the "Ferber" thing is so I won't slam you for it. I rocked and nursed my babies to sleep. But, around a year old, began teaching them to go to sleep on thier own. We put our 18 mos olds in toddler beds awake and told them not to get up. They didn't. All 4 of them. I guess I'm a cross between the two methods.

Edited by katemary63

I liked the tent thing, but a mom I chatted with on another group had her son have a terrible accident with it and somehow he got "hung". Not sure if I'd do it again...

If there's a sibling that could share a space, that's what my son still likes...he's 5.5; when he can't sleep with her...he's sleeping with us.

Carrie

I agree with your first paragraph! I don't know who Ferber is, though. But it sounds like a great approach.

Thirdly, I think it's a sad commentary on the entire board when a poster feels she's going to get slammed for a parenting decision. There are millions of kids who have turned out alright despite parents a lot worse than any of us here are. I wish we would all be more accepting of individual parenting choices.:001_smile:

3lil....I remember that stage being so difficult. I wish I had an answer for you. That tent looks fun, though! My dc would love it!

I liked the tent thing, but a mom I chatted with on another group had her son have a terrible accident with it and somehow he got "hung". Not sure if I'd do it again...

Carrie

Well, if there's ANY chance of this....no. I assumed the tents would be toddler proof...

When dd started climbing out of the crib, we put the mattress on the floor. No toddler bed, we were broke.

Did the same w/ds only he lucked out and got an actual toddler bed. Both kids did great. We did baby gate dd's room off (I was paranoid), but relaxed w/ds (he's as noisy as a baby elephant) and didn't use a gate.

Good luck! :)

For my son, we put him in our bed. He was also able to climb over the gate to the stairs and I wasn't taking any chances. We have since moved and for my dd, we have just put a mattress on the floor. I have those foam play mats around the mattress for extra cushion. For the record, my son was 12 months old and my dd 18 months old when we first caught them climbing out.

The first time dd (2) climbed out of the crib (I had just put her to bed!), she jumped from the top rail and broke her elbow. :glare:

I recommend you take the side if you can, or get a toddler bed. it's not worth the consequences of using the crib like it is. Trust me! :tongue_smilie:

I don't think anyone answered your question about night terrors.

Night terrors are where the child is hysterical and not able to be comforted. They are basically still asleep and fairly much unaware of your presence. They can last for a few minutes up to a much longer time. My DS used to get them for about 40mins before I could settle him down again.

So if your child seems aware of your presence and you are able to comfort them when you come into the room then it's unlikely to be night terrors.

When my twins began climbing out of their cribs at 18 months, the cribs were put away and the twins went into twin beds with side safety rails. I really have a problem with those tent things for cribs...it's like caging an animal. Ick.

Ria

My #2 and #3 were both hopping out at 16 months. Scared me to death!! So I added the crib tent at that point, but they both freaked out to harshly for me to feel right about it. They weren't used to it. So I moved them on to the mattress on the floor. (different times - they're 2 yrs apart). I had to gate the doorway and make sure toys were cleared properly at bed time so they wouldn't be stepped on or played with in the middle of the night. It worked OK, but worried me b/c they both were so young. Both girls did indeed get up plenty at night, wander their rooms, hang out at the gate at the door, play with toys, etc. It was a bit of a challenge.

Fast forward to #4, I put the crib tent on from day 1, and he's used to it now at 2 years old. In fact, when I put him in, he reaches up to try and help me zip it! :-) I don't know why I didn't do this with the other 2 in the first place. I think it was because we had a mini crib, and I had to move them from the mini crib to a full sized to attach the tent (which aren't made in mini crib size), and then only to have that not work - ugh!) I plan on keeping him in there for probably another year.

About the safety of the tents: I had read a few online entries way back when about some crib tent tragedies. It bothered and concerned me, of course. BUT, there are also CRIB tragedies out there, bed tragedies, bunk bed tragedies, etc. There are dangers with all kinds of things - everything really. I weighed the dangers at the time, and decided that the liklihood and dangers of letting baby climb up and jump out was bigger and more eminent than a freak crib tent accident.

Anyway, good luck! What a challenge it is....

I used crib tents for my twins, who began climbing out of the crib at 9 months! :svengo: They were literally a God-send for us.

Properly installed and used with younger children, there's nothing for a child to hang themselves on...at least that I could find! An older child (say, nearly 3!) can eventually figure out how to open it (or become strong enough to break the zipper! :glare: Yes, I left him in a crib too long!). Accidently could happen in that case, but they'd likely be a fall to the ground rather than getting hung on something. An 18 month old should not be able to either get out or break the zipper.

Do not buy a used crib tent (which could be damaged), especially the originial ones that are only the tent part and do not include the sack that the mattress goes in (perhaps that's what the gal with the problem used?). The sack on the newer version makes it a one piece item and ensures that there is no way the child can slide out between the tent and the crib rail...and has the added benefit of no pacifiers, blankets or other items getting thrown out of the crib! :D

All of this assumes you still want him in a crib and not a toddler bed. If he's ready for a toddler bed, skip all this and put the crib mattress on the floor. If he's like my twins and trouble finds him...a crib tent may just be the best baby item you've purchased! ;)

Edited by Twinmom

With my oldest, we had to put one of the doorknob covers on the inside of her door once we moved the crib. The thought of her getting up and wandering in the middle of the night terrified me. If she woke up, I still had to go get her, but she adjusted pretty quickly.

What we did was to dismantle the crib and put the mattress on the floor until we could get the lowest toddler bed I could find. Ds broke his arm the very first time he climbed out of the crib, shortly before he was 18 months old. It's what the doctor suggested, and it made sense to us.

How did I keep him in bed? He slept in our room, so there were no toys. I put one of those door handle things on the inside of the bedroom so he couldn't open it and get out. It helped that he liked going to be most of the time until he was about 5 yo.

Imagine three babies climbing out of cribs before they're a year! (..and two who were still toddlers...) It was a sleep-deprived nightmare, but I don't believe in using crib tents. Instead we used toddler beds or mattress on the floor. For safety purposes there was a childproof door handle on the inside of the room. When they wanted something I heard a cry, wail, or complaint.

Unfortunately, he doesn't do so very gracefully and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. He seems to have developed some new fears and is waking up at night crying. Weds. night we heard him cry out, then a thud, then he started to SCREAM, and when I went to get him, he had the lights on and opened the door for me. :glare: Tonight, I put him to bed, and he clearly did not buy into the plan, because he cried for a while and then really tuned up. When I went in to get him he was hanging on the outside of the crib, not sure what to do next and clearly terrified.

He's been sleeping through the night really well for quite some time so this is new for him. I'm not sure what's up except I believe it could be night terrors. What do those look like?

I know he can't continue to sleep in the crib as it is now. We tried him in a toddler bed on Thursday night and that did not go well. He liked it a lot, and would lay down in it and cover himself up - all good until it was time to actually sleep in there. Then he would have none of it. After spending the night sleeping with him in a chair, I was not up for spending the night keeping him in his little bed, so dh put the crib back up.

What are my options here?

We are considering one of these crib tent things.

We could take the side off the crib and put a bed rail on there, so that he could get out if he needs to and not fall. However, I think that poses the same problem as the toddler bed - he's not interested in staying there unless he has to.

I know my SIL had to take my nephew out of his crib early on - my mom said they made a pallet for him on the floor with sheep skins and a quilt, and he slept on that for a long time. We could do that but we would have to do a lot of work on his room - take a lot of stuff out and put a gate in the doorway, I'm thinking.

He will not sleep when he's in bed with us. He talks, claps his hands, makes kissing noises, sits up, plays with the cat, you name it, but no sleeping. We're not terribly keen on co-sleeping but I would do it if it would work - sadly, it will not.

Any suggestions? Is the tent a horrible idea? I am NOT ready for him to be out of a crib yet! :eek: The most important thing is his safety, though, and I will do what I have to do.

I didn't read the other repies so forgive if I repeat.

I would put his crib mattress on the floor, and just make sure his entire room is baby-safe. Put a good gate at the door (maybe 2;)). If he would cooperate, you could side-car his crib up next to your bed. That way, you'd be right there if he had a night terror.http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

I've had 2 dc figure out how to climb out of their cribs young like yours. dd was happy to work a puzzle on her floor after lights out until she zonked out on the floor - eventually she actually laid on the mattress:tongue_smilie:

ds(my 2yo now) began cosleeping at that point.

When my son started doing that at 17 months, I took the crib apart and had him sleep on the crib mattress on the floor. I was so worried about him getting hurt. He slept on the crib mattress on the floor until he was almost 2 then I bought him a "big boy" bed. My dd moved out of her crib onto a crib mattress on the floor at around 18 months because we moved and I just didn't bother setting up the crib again.

The younger 2 did not use cribs so I didn't have the same issue. All learned very quickly to stay on the mattress, I did double check the babyproofing and gated the bedroom doors to keep them safe and not freely roaming, and used a baby monitor to make sure I came right away when they woke.

Edited by swellmomma

We had to move our oldest out of the crib at 20 months. We skipped a toddler bed and put a twin mattress & boxspring right on the floor. When she was a bit older we put the twin bed in and for her it was an easy transition.

We did this with all dc, although at first it was just the mattress, then they progressed to mattress & box spring with a portable rail, then the rail went, and then a bed. Actually my dd4 just progressed to a bed! I was waiting to save up money for the bed I really wanted her to have and that would last.

I understand the concern with having to babyproof the room....but this has to be done sooner or later anyway, right? A gate across the door is a wonderful idea if you're not door closers. I had to have the doors closed after a fire station tour where they scared us all about open doors.

Good luck!

Apparently I started climbing out of my crib at 9 months. Would crawl on down the hall.... I did not like sleeping. My parents put me on a twin mattress on the floor.

My older daughter loved her crib. At 3.5, we took off one side to make it into a toddler bed (it was one of those transition ones). She asked to have her "cozy crib" back. That lasted until we moved and didn't have a good spot for the crib.

My younger daughter has never spent a night in a crib. She just slept with us from the beginning, on the king sized mattress on the floor.

I would put a mattress on the floor and make sure that the room was baby safe. I think crib tents are sort of cruel.... If he can open doors, put bells on it, or a child proof door knob.

Thanks, everyone. We have to do something TONIGHT - he wandered into our room around 5:30 am this morning, having climbed out again, and when I put him down for map, I think he fell and hit his head. Babies R Us doesn't carry the crib tents anymore so I guess the crib mattress will go on the floor and we will have to take his bookshelf out unless dh can anchor it before bedtime. I do have the doorknob covers - I would like to put a gate in his doorway but I don't know that I can get ahold of one tonight.

We did this with all dc, although at first it was just the mattress, then they progressed to mattress & box spring with a portable rail, then the rail went, and then a bed. Actually my dd4 just progressed to a bed! I was waiting to save up money for the bed I really wanted her to have and that would last.

I understand the concern with having to babyproof the room....but this has to be done sooner or later anyway, right? A gate across the door is a wonderful idea if you're not door closers. I had to have the doors closed after a fire station tour where they scared us all about open doors.

Good luck!

We used gates at the doors and our doors were still able to close. I remember a trip to the fire station and being freaked out about leaving doors open, too!

We used gates at the doors and our doors were still able to close. I remember a trip to the fire station and being freaked out about leaving doors open, too!

We have a gate in the girls' door so that Isaac can't get in there, and we can still close the door. It shouldn't be a problem. I have a door knob thingy in there right now.

I know that lots of people deal with this, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by it right now. It probably has a lot to do with the lack of sleep I'm getting just now. ;) I appreciate all the helpful ideas!

Dh does not understand my sense of urgency about this and is resistant to making what I see to be necessary changes. He remembers Abbie getting out of her crib on her own after naps and that it was "no big deal." I don't remember that at all, but I do remember her starting to climb out and that's when we got the girls' beds - when they were 2 and 3. I may not have panicked then, but Abbie was a little older and somehow it could not have been quite this upsetting. He has a huge bump and rug burn on his forehead from falling out this afternoon.

A good friend reminded me to pray about this - duh. So I've been praying. I guess it's just a shock to my system because he's been so easy about naps and bedtime up until this past week. Just when you think you've got it figure out, right?

18 mo? Put him in a REAL bed! If it's too high, a mattress or blanket on the floor is fine.

If he's freaking out over it, just move his old mattress to the floor...

My brother and I could climb out at 6!!!!

You're talking at 6 months, right? Were you walking, then, too? I've met a few mothers of babies who walked at 6 months...I'm happy that mine walked later when I hear these stories.

I haven't read all the replies, but we had to buy one of the crib tents w/ #5 (#5 for crying out loud!!) He would get up in the middle of the night, climb out, and leave his room. But he wasn't interested in finding us, he was wanting to go downstairs and even tried to get out the front door! For safety reasons we got the crib tent and it has been great. He never had an issue with being in "crib jail", as we call it, and I can actually sleep at night without fearing he will run away :-)

Just some perspective from someone who's been there.

I watched that Supernanny video on sleep separation and tried that tonight. It was no fun at all, but he did eventually fall asleep. After about the 20th time that he got out of bed I held him down in the bed (which I shouldn't have done according to the video) and kissed his sweet face, and he struggled for about 5 seconds and then was asleep. I had to sit in there for a while, because I would think he was asleep but he would cry when I tried to leave, but finally he's out.

We took the side off the crib and put a bed rail on there so hopefully he won't fall out. He has a little stool that he can step on if he gets up. I hope he doesn't get up at 5:30am again, but at least he can't open his door so I will go get him rather than him wandering in to find me. :)

We may end up taking the crib down and putting the mattress on the floor. I think we will set up his "big bed" for his 2nd birthday, which gives me a few months to figure out how we will want to arrange his room and everything.

Thanks again, ladies.

We used a tent since DS could climb out at 10 months. My brother is an orthopedic surgeon and told me to either get a tent or take down the crib as soon as they figure out they can climb. Climbing out is very dangerous so we went with the tent. It was great except that little man figured out how to open it and could then still get out. We ended up having to safety pin the zipper so it would stay shut. He's 6 now and the PJ pants I have on right now still have a pin in them from those days. It makes me laugh now when I see it so I don't want to get rid of it. The kids still love to hear the story of the baby jail. We used it until her turned two then trained him to stay on his bed.

You're talking at 6 months, right? Were you walking, then, too? I've met a few mothers of babies who walked at 6 months...I'm happy that mine walked later when I hear these stories.

Yep, at 6 months.

Nope on the walking! Just standing. :-) And climbing. Mom nearly fainted when she found my brother on top of his dresser....

I didn't walk alone until 12 mo. My brother did it a bit younger. My mom walked at 9 mo, though!

My brother and I slept in the same room until he was in a big boy bed. Mom trained him to get in MY bed when he was scared. He liked to sleep with his boys across the pillow. Rather than bringing his own, he'd swipe mine. The fact that my head was already on it was beside the point. I can't think of the times that I awoke with a kid across my face!

Edited by Reya

My dd climbed out at 16 months and we put her on her crib mattress on the floor. We had a hard time getting her to stay in it though. I think a few times I had to put her back in bed about 100 times in one night. But being consistent pays off; she always stays in her bed now. I think she was just overwhelmed by the new freedom of being able to get out of bed, and so she was testing me to make sure she was still "safe". It took dd about a month before she would take her naps and go to bed without getting up multiple times. I recommend getting a chair and a good book, leaving his door open, and sitting outside his room until he falls asleep for the first few nights.

I haven't read any of the other replys, but what we did (all ours were out of their cribs early) was place the crib mattress on the floor and gate the room. If they wouldn't stay in bed, we would lay on the floor beside them until they were asleep for a few days, and gradually move to across the room, out into the hall, etc until they were sleeping on their own.

None of mine climbed over gates early enough for it to be dangerous, but I'd keep an eye on this if you have a real climber. A friend of mine has a now fully grown dd who she found screaming and shaking herself holding onto the second gate (they were stacked one on top of the other in the doorway)...