Menu

9th grade line-up - what is does your schedule look like?

Hello! It seems overwhelming to select courses for 9th grade. Can you ladies give me a line-up of what your'e doing or have done with your 9th grader? Thanks! Janet M.

Ds's surgery has gotten in the way of our schedule right now, but here goes:

Lit: Parts of Omnibus 2 & LLATL Gold/American: Short stories

Comp: Jump In (It's WORKING!)

Apologia Physical Science

Skipped around in math and am doing TT Alg I

Henle Latin 1st year

Total Health

World History Spielvogel's Human Odyssey

Cross Country

Tested out of Keyboarding

I think that's it. :) Jean

Haven't done 9th grade before, but our tentative plans include:

Life of Fred math

Notgrass American History (counts as 3 credits: history, lit, Bible)

Latin: brushing up with Getting Started with Latin, moving into Henle (dd will hate this)

science...can I do something that involves different disciplines? I like the idea of a CSI/lab science...

PE? maybe combining rec soccer, horseback riding, and walking?

OR

An equestrian class, if my dd volunteers at a local therapeutic center, in addition to riding? Or is she better of just counting that as volunteer time?

Combine, or split, a current events and/or character building class?

Love Jean's idea of testing out of keyboarding...

:lurk5:

Younger son is doing 9th grade this year:

English (1 credit)

- Literature = Lightning Lit. 8

- Grammar = Winston Advanced; Chortling Bard

- Writing = Wordsmith; various papers and timed essays from prompts

- Spelling = Megawords; remedial individual program

Math (1 credit) = Jacobs Algebra

Science (.5 credit) = 1/2 of Apologia Biology

Health (.5 credit) = Total Health

History: 20th Century World (1 credit) = Spielvogel Human Odyssey; plus other resources

PE (.5 credit) = tennis team; swim laps; miscellaneous

Elective: The Great Books (1 credit)

Summer:

Worldview Academy (1 week summer leadership camp)

Extracurricular:

- homeschool group Student Council member (1 meeting/month)

- homeschool group Youth activities (1 afternoon/month)

- homeschool Public Speaking class (10 classes throughout the year)

- Sunday School assistant (the Sundays of 3 months of the year)

Older son did 9th grade last year:

English (1 credit)

- Literature = Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

- Grammar = Winston Advanced; Chortling Bard

- Writing = Put That in Writing 1 (greatly modified); various papers and timed essays

- Spelling = individual program; included vocabulary

Math (1 credit) = Jacobs Geometry

Science (.5 credit) = 1/2 of Apologia Biology

Health (.5 credit) = Total Health

History: Ancient World (1 credit) = Spielvogel Human Odyssey; plus other resources

PE (.5 credit) = play tennis; swim laps; miscellaneous

Elective: The Great Books: Ancient Classics (1 credit)

Summer:

Worldview Academy (1 week summer leadership camp)

Extracurricular:

- homeschool group Student Council member (1 meeting/month)

- homeschool group Youth activities (1 afternoon/month)

- Sunday School assistant (the Sundays of 3 months of the year)

Right now it looks like this:

Omnibus I (history/lit/bible)

Spielvogel's Western Civ (history)

Videotext DEF (finishing Algebra I and II)

Switched on Schoolhouse Science (this is the subject that I am completely giving up on)

Switched on Schoolhouse Spanish I

Home2 Teach writing classes

At this point, I may add English from the Roots Up for extra vocab. and I haven't decided if we will do another year of grammar or if I will just count the grammar that we cover in the writing class.

Ds2 doing 9th this year --

Algebra 2 -- Dolciani / finishing up geometry (Brown, Jurgensen, and Brown)

Writing -- Lively Art of Writing

Literature -- disaster! Don't ask! :confused: (Honest confession!)

History -- 1400-1650 using Spielvogel's Odyssey and TruthQuest plus lots of primary source docs)

Biology -- Holt bio

Latin 2 -- Regina Coeli

C++ -- Potters School

Foundations of Debate (debate class)

Civil Air Patrol, kiting, lots of volunteering at historical site

Here's what my daughter (now a sophomore in college) did in 9th grade:

Geometry (1.0 Credit): Florida Virtual School

Biology (1.0 Credit): Holt text, homegrown lab series

American History/Literature (2.0 Credits): Homegrown using HakimĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬Å“Freedom: A History of USĂ¢â‚¬ as a base, with lots of books and video/DVD documentaries Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Elements of StyleĂ¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Word RootsĂ¢â‚¬ software level A1

Latin (1.0 Credit): Finished Ă¢â‚¬Å“Minimus Secundus,Ă¢â‚¬ then moved on to Oxford Book 1

Art (0.5 Credit): Ă¢â‚¬Å“Annotated Mona Lisa,Ă¢â‚¬ 19th Century Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Assorted hands-on projects and field trips

Music (1.0 Credit): Choir Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Music appreciation with 2nd half of Ă¢â‚¬Å“Classic Tunes and Tales: Ready-to-Use Music Listening Lessons and ActivitiesĂ¢â‚¬ and assorted field trips for live performances

Anthropology/Intro to Archaeology (1.0 Credit): Ă¢â‚¬Å“Out of the Past: An Introduction to Archeology,Ă¢â‚¬ plus associated video lessons from www.learner.org Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Membership in local anthropological and archaeological societies

Theater Survey (1.0 Credit): Season tickets for two theaters, assorted other live performances Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Broadway series on PBS plus essays on Broadway history from companion website Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Reading several plays

Janet, did you see the thread that Nan started, "Who else has an 8th grader...?" It is worthwhile reading and can be found here.

When my son was in 9th, he studied:

Geometry (Dressler)

Conceptual Physics (Hewett)

Latin II (Oxford)

French I (French in Action)

History and Literature ala TWTM (Ancients using Spielvogel)

Additional grammar, vocab and writing work (Stewart, VfCR, etc.)

Health and PE

We made some headway in Traditional Logic before abandoning it.

That was the last year he was able to participate in First Lego League's robotics competition before aging out. He also was a member of an Envirothon team and did numerous activities with 4-H.

His PE included playing hockey and power skating lessons, as well as reading about nutrition and cooking. He also went on a backpacking trip. My son has a lot of energy so finding ways to exhaust him completely at that age was an imperative. In 11th, he still has a lot of energy! To help him stay focused, I send him off for long walks and bike rides as necessary. In my opinion, this is part of a successful formula for my child's education.

Best,

Jane

Our 9th grade year included:

Omnibus 1--not secondary lit, added in some, with Speilvogel readings

1 semester of Henle Latin

Devotions with One Year Bible (he finished it later)

Algebra 1 with Jacobs and another, supplemental book

Apologia Bio

Music--Guitar with theory

Writing/Grammar/Composition with Wordsmith Craftsman, Rod and Staff (1 sem), VFCR, and various other things (it wasn't pretty).

He received 7 credits for the above work. His extracurriculars were church youth group and an historical swords class, both about once a week.

Our 9th grade yr (very full days)

Math: Algebra 2 with Foerster's algebra and precalculus

Great Books: selelctions from Omnibus 1

English 9: CS Lewis readings from Omnibus, literary analysis, vocab, writing with Write With the Best

AP Biology: Scholars online USing Campbells Connections & Concepts

Ancient History: Spielvogel Human Odyssey and 4 seminars with Lukeion

Computer Assisted Drafting and design: Potters school

Music: Bass guitar and youth band

This is our plan for next year for my rising 9th grader dd. She is our second child to go through 9th grade. (I must say she is our right brain "free spirit" child who loves to draw, sew, crochet and knit. Not to mention that she is a great cook. She is very different from her brother who I will talk about below. )

9th grade dd (Right brain, creative)

English I: Wordsmith Craftsman, High school reinforcement:American authors of Analytical Grammar, LLATL/Gold American along with others using Stobaugh and WTM (In other words studying authors from 1860 to present)

Algebra I: TT and some of Firebaugh's Algebra I from Keyboard Enterprises along with LOF beginning Algebra for FUN!

Biology I: Apologia Biology along with LLS: The Human Body w/CD

US History II: We use TQ to start our week along with Spielvogel and BJU as texts....And just have FUN with this! (Same time period as our lit study 1860 to present....pairs nicely with SOTW with younger siblings:D. Some weeks I use questions that I pull from TOG classic.)

Fine Arts: 1/4 credit We study the artists and musicians of the time period we are studying in history

LatinI/II: Will be finishing Latin I and moving to II Will be using Cambridge or Oxford Latin.

Bible: DD is reading through the bible on her own.

She may also do Logic with big brother....but not sure yet.

Extra: Choir, 4-H

Big brother: (mathy, left brain who loves history, economics and FOX NEWS!!! DD lovingly calls her big brother the sweetest nerd she knows. Can see him teaching history as a college professor.....Very different from free spirit little sister.....HeeHee)

This was his plan two years ago......

English I: OmnibusII, Wordsmith Craftsman, and Winston Grammar

Geometry: MUS Geometry along with LOF Geometry(won't use MUS again for our family)

Biology I: Apologia Biology I along w/ LLS the Human Body

World History II: We were studying the middle ages that year. We used TQ as an intro for the week, and then used Spielvogel, BJU world, and Middle Ages by Dorothy Mills.

Fine Arts: 1/4 fine arts credit....studying artists of the time period.

Bible: Did the Bible in Omnibus and then studied PROVERBS!

Language: DS did Latin I and II in 7th and 8th grade, so we gave him the year off from Language in 9th.

Extra: Boy scouts, choir.....

Hope that helps......

I do think that as you collect different curriculums, you pick and choose what you like from each of them to make a good "mix" for your student. Each year is different and each student is different.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

Hello! It seems overwhelming to select courses for 9th grade. Can you ladies give me a line-up of what your'e doing or have done with your 9th grader? Thanks! Janet M.

We've decided to bite the bullet and go with the VP Scholars diploma program. So, all the classes that I hope for my dd to complete at the local high school must be approved by VP....

Omnibus III (primary and secondary books) : Online with VP

Latin II (second half of Wheelock's): Online with VP

Biology: at Public School

Geometry: At Public School

Honors English: At Public School

French II: At Public School (My dd LOVES french, and will not give it up, even though it's going to be a lot of work to fit this in.)

Logic II: At home

The biggest question mark at this point is the Honors English. They cover some literature which dd completed in 7th grade with Omnibus. I'm not sure this is enough of a writing class (to suit VP), although the students will have to write several papers, including their own short story, and a research paper. We'll see........

It's been a while, but my extremely extroverted son was chomping at the bit to be out in the world with others, so I became mostly a facilitator that last year he was at home. He took mainly outside courses.

Courses he took at home:

Finishing up Latin II with the last book of the Latin Grammar series, after having completed the Latin Primer series first. He also did an outside class with a local instructor once per week using Jenney's Latin.

Spanish I using BJU Press courseware, including CD's. He also did an 8 week outside course with a local instructor (trying to get some speaking time for him) using Barron's Spanish Now! Level 1.

He worked through parts of Abeka's Grammar and Comp III. I didn't press to cover all or even the majority of this book because he had so much writing in other outside courses, as I'll mention below.

He worked through the last half of Vocab from Classical Roots D and also book E. I wasn't all that thrilled with these books and since then, others on the boards have recommended a couple of other programs that might be better (and which I will be checking out for my next time around, too).

He worked through VideoText Algebra II, with help from his father, when needed.

He took a semester long high school level Art History course through UK's continuing education department. He took part in a musical play production through our homeschool group during the last half of the year. (A credit of humanities of some sort is now required here for graduation, so this fulfilled that.)

He had already completed a full credit of PE (only half is required here) and was swimming full time, as well, so I focused on the health credit for this year. He completed a semester class through our coop which utilized a standard high school text. He then did a class through UK's continuing ed. dept. on personal, family and friend relations which really rounded out a full health (sex ed, adult living) type course. Only a half credit is needed here in that so this, like PE, was overkill on my part.

He took a coop class in logic first semester, and a political science class which included quite a bit of debate (rhetoric), second semester. I used this, together with all the logic he'd completed in past, to round out a single credit of logic for him.

For history, lit, and science, he chose three college level courses from Indiana University and completed those via correspondence. We were able to go to UK for him to take his tests for these classes, luckily. He did a freshman class on Greek history and culture for his history; he did a geology class for non-majors for his science; and he did a sophomore level course in Greek mythology for his lit. Because this last course included so very much writing, I used it for the majority of his English grade for the year.

This was too much! I would NOT advise doing this for others. I would not do this again. I didn't realize until we were into it that it was too much. With this child, I never knew quite how much was the right amount for him and he always did better with being challenged to the utmost (so I certainly did that, LOL)...... So please don't faint in looking at this.

Now, if you happen to have a child who does want to do a lot and be involved in a lot then you'll see that it *can* be done - but I wouldn't recommend doing this much for most people and wouldn't do it again myself, either. He did get through it and did just fine by the way, LOL... but I certainly did keep him hopping that year....

Our line up (most of which is already on the shelf):

English:

R&S 8, WEM version of literature modified as per Nan in Mass but with our own flavour, essay writing (not sure of a program)

History:

SWB's History of the Ancients as the spine. I really wanted dd to read historical histories (Ussher, Josephus, Sturluson...) but that may wait for my other dd.

History of Mathematics (ties in with History & math)

Math:

Basic Geometry by Birkhoff & Beatley--bought on the recommendation of Charon (former board member here) because it has a TM & solution guide and is rigourous, because I missed Geometry in hs because I switched schools mid-year. If that fails, or just for help, we have a 1973 Dressler Geometry and I know where I can get answers if I need them. But apparently I'm going to have to buckle down and learn it with her so I can follow the logic of her proofs. Not that I don't like Geometry, but the time involved...

Science:

Conceptual Chemistry by Sudocki, along with the Chemistry Alive! and Thinkwell chem CD-Roms.

Logic: Traditional Logic by Cothran (I've mistakenly typed another one a few times because I don't usually run down and check like I did today.)

Latin: up in the air--ideally at the local hs, if the time won't be overly disruptive to my other dc, and isn't way too early in the am. Second Choice is Scholars online, but that's more expensive than I'd rather pay for just one course right now.

Phys Ed: Swim team (I know, that's extra curricular, but we count it as both for our needs) high school team plus the local team she's already on

German: Rosetta Stone 2 along with a German grammar book (still thinking about which grammar book) and some other elementary German curricula made for German speaking dc, and a history.

Art: Acrylic Painting (that's a switch from Watercolour, but apparently this is easier and dd would rather do acrylic.)

noncredit--Greek--learn the alphabet for sure, and perhaps some basic stuff (to help her with biology later, and also for our Biblical stuff--by the end of high school she'll know at least some of one form of old Greek, but not credit-worthy.)

If I'm either missing something or am crazy to let her do both Latin and German, please let me know. Our religious studies are all noncredit and I don't know if we'll put any of that on the transcript or not--it's more part of our lifestyle than for academic's sake.

Dd1's 9th grade schedule looks like this:

Bible:1 Samuel, Romans 12, Westminster Shorter Catechism, Covenant Precepts study (though I haven't assigned credit for this, I try to take the workload into account)

Math: Algebra II, Saxon

Latin II: Florida Virtual School

Government: AP US Government and Politics, Wilson & Dilulio text

English I, honors: Literature Tutorial, Sentence Composing for High School Students, Writers Workshop

Biology: Apologia

Shakespeare lit and drama -- Spring semester

Team Policy Debate

CFC Speech Club/Competition

various extracurricular and volunteer stuff

HTH,

Lisa

At least, this is what we are probably going to start with... and then we'll see what really happens...

Peace studies

Ancients for great books a la TWTM (but with no Spielvogel)

History/geography in French with the 6th grade French curriculum (if I can manage to get the teacher's guide)

NEM3 and/or geometry (if I can get it)

Natural History (instead of biology)

Latin (continue pecking away at Ecce Romani 3)

Writing with a variety of resources

Piano

Gymnastics

We'll make sure to do some singing and some drawing. And we'll do a few Shakespeare plays. And he'll probably do some lego robotix. And whatever else he decides to add.

-Nan

Here is what he is doing:

Bible-world religions that I have put together

Math-Bob Jones Algebra 1

Science-Apologia biology

History-All American history volume 1 and 2 with extras added in

Grammar-review using various things

Composition-Teaching the essay, various papers for history and science

ARt-Artistic Pursuits

Carpentry-with my husband

PE-Swimming

I think that is it.

I haven't been on these boards recently, but this post was encouraging to me. I have a 9th grade daughter (as well as two boys younger than her). This is what we are doing this year:

Math: Jacobs Elementary Algebra

Science: High School Biology in your Home plus labs

History: Finishing up Renaissance history moving into discovery of the Americas, etc. using various books.

English: self-styled combination of:

Easy Grammar

Intro to the Essay using "The Write Stuff" (Thought we'd move into the Lively Art of Writing, but that may not happen this year. She writes a ton, though.)

Assorted literature--some of which I discuss with her, some of which happens through a book club hosted by another Mom ("Great Expectations", "Huckleberry Finn", "Anne of Green Gables", some short stories so far with more planned.)

Spanish in a co-op setting

Weekly Nature Awareness class (all day Friday)

and she has been involved in two theater productions this year.

Sometimes I wonder if we are doing enough, but writing this out makes me feel like it is plenty!

Thanks, everyone, for sharing as well.

Algebra - Foerster's (with Math Without Borders CDs *and* tutor)

Physical Science - Apologia

History - Spielvogel's Human Odyssey

Literature - various things to coordinate with the Ancients (WTM-ish); writing assignments

Spanish - Rosetta Stone and Spanish Grammar for Independent Learners

P.E. - Volleyball

Word Roots for Vocabulary

Musical Theatre classes for one child and guitar lessons for the other

Here is our plan:

Geometry with VideoText and Life of Fred

Omnibus III

Wheelock's Latin with Lukeion project

CW Herodotus

Spectrum Chemistry

Logic

Art

She'll also get a PE credit for her competitive gymnastics.

Heather

Our (very full) schedule this year--

Math (Dolciani Algebra)

Biology (BJUP)

Latin (Wheelock's)

Ancient History & Literature (The Great Books)

Logic (Intro. to Logic)

English

P.E.

Music Appreciation Elective

This has been a really tough schedule to maintain. I am hoping that next year can be a little easier!

What we are dong this year:

Bible reading-on his own

Saxon Alg. I

Traditional Logic I & II

LC II

CS I, II, III (O.T. & N.T. overview)

IEW Midieval

Omnibus II

World View Overview (How Shall We Then Live?, Story of the World MegaConference, etc)

Memory Work: Bible, history, poetry, etc.

drawing, co-op

mini unit study on WWII

Shakespeare (I semester)

Poetry (I semester)

One Act Play Competition

TeenPact alumni & speech class

This summer he'll do Biology using Apologia and go on a TeenPact alumni event- probably Survival. He is also slowly studying Hebrew with his dad.

Edited by laughing lioness

Ds most likely will have this schedule at local Christian high school:

Bible

PH Geometry (if he tests out of Alg 1)

BJU Physical Science

English 1: Grammar, Composition, Vocab, Lit

Spanish 1

World History/Washington State History

Health

PE

Music: Chapel Worship Team

Football, Basketball, Lacrosse

He'll play guitar for church youth group & children's ministry band and teach Sunday School.

We'll do Traditional Logic next summer at home.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

Our (very full) schedule this year--

Math (Dolciani Algebra)

Biology (BJUP)

Latin (Wheelock's)

Ancient History & Literature (The Great Books)

Logic (Intro. to Logic)

English

P.E.

Music Appreciation Elective

This has been a really tough schedule to maintain. I am hoping that next year can be a little easier!

Pianoplayer,

Do you mind me asking what you use for Music Appreciation?:bigear:

Thanks.

English: WTM 9th grade Ancient list selections plus other selections to mix it up, Teaching Company Illiad, Oddyssey, writing and argument DVD's

Analytical Grammar review sheets every other week, and writing assignments using IEW format (mostly research/essay in lit./history)

History: Spielvogel's Western Civilization using study guides and online resources for drill, practice, tests.

Science: Exploring Life Biology (Campbell) using associated CD and study guide.

Latin: Henle First Year Text, Laura Berquist's 1B syllabus for a latin II credit.

Spanish: Breaking the Barrier

Math: Chalkdust Algebra II alternating lessons with CD Geometry, for .5 credit of each this year

Music: Teaching Company CD's and electric guitar practice/lessons

P.E. 1/2 hour per day of movement. Getting out there and doing something.

He'll probably continue to be involved in community theatre.

We may volunteer some as a family next year.

Math: TT Alg I then switched to CD Alg I, (we will cont w/CD Alg II and may consider adding in TT geom concurrently if he can handle it in the fall)

History, geog:TOG 1 rhetoric (was a huge jump in analysis of material for him)

Eng 9 (lit, comp) TOG yr 1 rhetoric level (waaay too much info but we got through it)

grammar: Our Mother Tongue

1/2 cr philos: TOG 1 with dad

1cr bible: TOG 1 - OT and NT along with personal readings in SL 200 catechism and devo readings, verse by verse Sundays and Wednesdays youth group

Sci: Apol Bio (he really dislikes this so it was a bear)

Language: German (OSU online, loves it!)

1/2 cr Music: Drummer for our praise team. Incl worship practice 2 hrs, service on Sundays 1 hr, private drum and guitar lessons weekly

Civil Air Patrol

I think that's it. It's been a rough year ramping up to high school level work for us but he's learned a ton.

Full Year Courses:

1 credit Math -- Geometry with Life of Fred and The Teaching Company

1 credit Band -- advanced band; flute

1 credit English -- Jensen's Grammar and Format Writing, Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

1 credit Cultural Geography -- probably BJUP's but I need to look more

1 credit Environmental Science -- using a text,student notebook, and study guide I found on Amazon

I'm working on choosing from these other options:

Introductory Spanish (using SOS elementary Spanish, for .5 credit)

some sort of Logic course, for either 1 or .5 credit

some sort of fine and/or applied art course, for either 1 or .5 credit (possibly using Alpha Omega lifepacs)

So far this is what it looks like.

Science - Prentice Hall Physical Science (still not sure if I should do this or biology)

Math - TT Algebra or maybe videotext

History/lit/writing - TOG year 1 with writing aids or maybe a writing class instead

Logic - Art of argument

Foreign language - German

Art - Art Appreciation (harmony fine arts w/ artistic pursuits)

Other/electives - Typing, Outdoor hour challenge

My youngest child will be in ninth grade next year. She will be attending a private Christian school with the following classes:

* Bible

* English 1: Literature, Composition, Vocabulary, and Grammar

* Algebra 1

* BJU Physical Science

* World Geography (one semester)

* Economics (one semester)

* Spanish 1 (Rosetta Stone)

* PE

* Computer (one semester)

Henle Latin II, Latin Grammar and Aesop in Latin-1 credit

Singapore NEM II-1 credit

Chemistry a self teaching course-Wiley-1 credit

The Elements- Oxford press-

Sociology Myths and Realities-Penguin Academic -2 credits

Grammar-Frode Jensen-1 credit

Formula Writing -Frode Jensen(heavily tweaked to include persuasive essays that are logically sound)-1 credit

Modern Literature: 2 credits

The Good EArth-P Buck

The Jungle -Lewis

O Henry Short Stories(all)

The Secret Sharer-J Conrad

Kitchen Boy -R Alexander

The Great Gatsby-Fitzgerald

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-Smith

Black Elk Speaks-Neidhart

Hiroshima-Hersey

Lost Horizon-Hilton

Lord of the Flies

Catcher in the Rye-Salinger

Selected poetry L Hughes,Roethke and Whitman

All discussion questions found online either at publishing house webpage (Random House and Penguin are great)or created by the facilitator.

History:Seneca Falls-Mcmillen 2 credits of History due to amount of reading

How the Other Half Lives-Riis

The 20th Century-Zinn

Communism-Pipes

Hard Times-Studs Terkel

The Worst Hard Time(dustbowl) Egan

Between Silk and Cyanide-Marks

Red Scarf Girl

Biography of John PaulII-Carl Bernstein

Max Scheler His Life and Work

The Gates Of November-C Potok

Comes A Time-Meltzer

No spine approaching topically for depth

Philosophy: Pope John Paul II-2 credits here

Edith Stein

Hannah Arendt

John Rawls -A Theory of Justice

Library book clubs, lots of movies and needlework, crochet and comic illustration fill our free time. Oh yes ,we own all seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and try watch one episode a night during the summer. We are just that way. Summer school is Latin and PSAT prep...with lots of Buffy and Supernatural episodes to keep things real.

I have such a headache regarding this. You all seem so experienced. We haven't HS that long and we have spent nearly all of 8th grade unschooling and building confidence. We are behind in subjects so I'm a little discouraged. I know don't compare kids. I can't help it. I don't even know what he wants to do in college since he's just getting to feel good about himself. This is what I'm thinking about doing. It may be too much and since I"m still learning about TOG it may change.

We are working on getting him caught up in math since he missed some concepts and he's super smart in Math (does it in his head) but he has struggled with some fractions and decimals so we decided to go back over it. I don't think we will take too long but if we do then we will be even more behind. We do school year round but we are doing mainly math and literature right now to build reading. The PS really messed him up. We really don't know what level he is at but we are learning that he is higher than they told me. We have done things different to keep interest and it is working. I know I'm off topic a bit but maybe someone else has these issues. He tested at 6th grade last year but we are learning that he is at grade level. He doesn't do well at comprehension when it's what he calls "boring" and he does have a LD with this. Science is his strength and so is Math. We are currently doing MUS and want to change to TT. We will be starting these in May:

TOG: Literature, History, Philosophy, Bible, Art History and Government

IEW: along with TOG Writing Aids

Winston Advance Grammar

PE: Freshman Football Team

TT: PreAlgebra and probaly double up.... Do they have AP in this?

Apologia Physical Science either at home or coop would like to do AP

Would like to do foreign language but not sure if it's in the budget until the 2nd part of the year. Any ideas? We may be doing a coop for this but they do ABeka........ not sure if I want that. We do have Charter schools online that offer dual enrollment. We may do that. I feel like I'm lost. :001_huh:

Math: Algebra II (college textbook that uses Dana Mosely DVD's)

Science: Chemistry-Apologia with Teaching Company DVD's

Language Arts: Elegant Essay, Fix-It, Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, possibly Comp I at the CC in the second semester

History: Spielvogel's Western Civ with Teaching Company DVD's and reading corresponding literature

Elective: Web Design - Florida Virtual School

Elective: Drama - public HS

Outside activities: Boy Scouts (will be finishing up Eagle project), lacrosse, piano lessons, youth praise band

He's finishing up Latin in the Christian Trivium Vol. II this year and we think that may be the end of that. I'm not sure if we'll add any foreign language to the mix.

We got a late start on the "classical" approach but I think my oldest one will still manage to get a pretty good foundation.

Next year he will be doing:

TT Geometry

Exploring Creation with Chemistry

Intermediate Logic and Fallacy Detective

Henel Latin 1

The Life and Writings of CS Lewis (Great courses class)

Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course C from IEW

Winston Grammar Advanced

Ancient History (reading the classics and filling in history using Spielvogel and other history texts -- this is going to be a first for all of us)

Draw Today DVD and Read The Annotated Mona Lisa

Viola Lessons

I tend to buy and plan too much. We never do everything I set out to do. But, I've learned to let it roll off my back. We are all (well, my husband and I are) excited about reading the classics together and discussing them with our oldest.

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. Unschooling for awhile to recover and build confidence was probably a good thing to do. I did this in 8th with one of mine. He's in college now. My big mistake was sending him back to public school for high school. I also have talked to several other people who have done this for 8th or 9th, then moved into a more academic type homeschooling, and have children who are now doing college. Most math programs have placement tests to help you decide where to start. That might help you there. Which science you do often depends on how much math you have had. Biology typically doesn't require much, so you might consider doing that for science while you are working on the math? If you are feeling very insecure, you can post your schedule as a new post and ask for advice. People who have used the programs you are considering can help you decide which or where to place your son.

Good luck!

-Nan

New Answers Book Study Guide

TruthQuest Middle Ages/Renaissance - Also reading Beacon Lights of History, Biographies, GA Henty books

Trail Guide to World Geography

D.I.V.E. into Science with BJU Physical Science textbook

VideoText Algebra Modules E-F

CLP Applications of Grammar

Classical Writing Diogenes:Maxim / IEW The Elegant Essay(?)

IEW Windows to the World

Latin's Not So Tough

Fallacy Detective

Abeka Health 9th

PE