Menu

Am I the only one...(trivial questions)

No, you are not alone in this. I had to look up the movie to find out what it was and I still hadn't heard of it. I have no idea who that guy is nor do I care enough to find out right now.

I also didn't know what Milk was until my husband told me.

No idea what Slumdog Millionaire is about, but I have heard of Mickey Rourke, and I do know who Harvey Milk was. First openly gay politician, and he was murdered, along with the mayor, in San Francisco back in the 80's. His killer got off with a light sentence, his lawyer was the one who came up with the infamous "twinkie defense", saying that the killer, White, had eaten a lot of junk food which clouded his judgement and made him unable to control himself.

Michelle T

I don't know either one of them...

And, Colleen, she probably wanted to discuss the fact, that some things that are discussed (in the media) as "common knowledge" aren't really common knowledge.

Just like some posts might ask things like, are there any other people who have yet to give their kids tech toys/items? I'm sure we know that such people exist, we just want to have a discussion with them.

Hope that helped clear things up!

:-)

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue as to what the movie, "Slumdog Millionaire" is about? Or, who the heck Mickey Rourke is and why his "come-back" is such a big deal?

I saw a thread mentioning Slumdog Millionaire but didn't read it. So I don't know what that is. I have never heard of it.

Mickey Rourke? That name sounds vaguely familiar. Does he play baseball? (I'll go look it up)

As someone who walked into the movie "Slumdog Millionare" without any clue what it was about (hadn't even heard of it prior to arriving at the theater) ... I have to say it was surprisingly good, and definitely nothing at all like what I had imagined it would be going off of the name alone. It's worth a google and a few hours of your life :)

(I lost a coin toss, and so my "date" got to choose our movie that afternoon. I'm glad, because I'd have never seen the movie otherwise and it was certainly worthwhile viewing.)

No idea what Slumdog Millionaire is about, but I have heard of Mickey Rourke, and I do know who Harvey Milk was. First openly gay politician, and he was murdered, along with the mayor, in San Francisco back in the 80's. His killer got off with a light sentence, his lawyer was the one who came up with the infamous "twinkie defense", saying that the killer, White, had eaten a lot of junk food which clouded his judgement and made him unable to control himself.

Michelle T

I didn't know about Milk.

That is interesting.

Now Mickey Rourke I remember...he made a comeback?

Missed that too ;)

:lol::lol:

I remember the old Mickey Rourke. I also missed the comeback.

With respect to Mayor Moscone (The San Francisco mayor who was killed with Harvey Milk). I remember that day very clearly. I had gone to school in San Francisco with his son, Christopher. (Had a crush on him, actually). What a wonderful family. What a terrible, heartbreaking day.

I remember Mickey Rourke from the movie Wild Orchid, a sensual movie with an actress named Carrie Otis. They hooked up and she ended up with a drug addiction...don't know which drug, but it's too bad. Not much of an actress but seemed like a sweet person.

His claim to fame are movies like Diner, The Pope of Greenwich Village, 9 1/2 weeks, Wild Orchid, etc. He was A LOT better looking then, especially in Wild Orchid, where he is the wild guy who helps Carrie's character loosen up and get a bit wild, hence the name of the movie, I guess. I don't know what happened to him, though (I saw him for the first time in a long time the other night on a late night show and I could barely tell who he was!).

I would only rent Wild Orchid if you don't mind nudity and some sex...it's rated R and for adults only. You'll get a better idea of Mickey and who he was.

PAM

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue as to what the movie, "Slumdog Millionaire" is about? Or, who the heck Mickey Rourke is and why his "come-back" is such a big deal?

Anyone else not know?

Smiles!

~Holly

I have no clue about Slumdog either. I do know who Mickey Rourke is from my high school days, but I am unaware of his current doings (or that he was even still alive).

Mickey Rourke had a very promising beginning in Body Heat, AFAIR and much was expected out of him. As to the movie, I don't have time for them, but from long experience, when absolutely everyone at work raves about a movie, I find it vacuous and boring. I'm not going to bother. I have funny tastes.

I know nothing about the movie, but do know who Mickey Rourke is.

I'm old enough to have seen Mickey Rourke when he was a sensation. It's sad to see him now, but I gather this is what's made it *real* for his movie.

I also remember when the real Harvey Milk was killed and the sensation of his politics, I don't remember when this happened but I might've lived in the Bay Area then?

Slumdog looks intriguing and sounds like it's well-done.

But otherwise, I gather OP is referring to the *People magazine/ Entertainment Tonight* aspects of our culture. It's been ages since I've seen any of the nominated movies in a theater, partly because I don't go, partly because of what they choose. But I also don't recognize many of the 100 most beautiful (in their opinions!) people or the starlets in the magazines.

It's just so much drivel. Not that these folks are any more or less relevant than they were when I was younger. There's just so much more coverage of every little thing and so many more outlets for the information. And I don't have enough time in my day to care about what rich, vacuous hollywood types are doing downtown at 2 am. Sorry.

His killer got off with a light sentence, his lawyer was the one who came up with the infamous "twinkie defense", saying that the killer, White, had eaten a lot of junk food which clouded his judgement and made him unable to control himself.

That's right, the twinkie defense, I'd forgotten that. It was crazy.

Til the OJ trial anyway.

.......in fact, "vacuous" wouldn't even be in the top 10,000 adjectives I might use to describe Slumdog Millionaire.

Certainly, few mainstream movies attract my attention. If I worked among people whose views on films I didn't value, of course I wouldn't rush out and watch something based on their raving. Then again, there are people, and critics, whose opinions I trust ~ as well as particular filmmakers whose body of work I appreciate. And sometimes, a movie just speaks to me and draws me in, although I know little about it beforehand. (Btw, when I say "draws me in", I'm not referring to going to the theater, but about selecting a film in general.)

At any rate, I would be seriously concerned about anyone who found "Slumdog Millionaire" vacuous. Particularly once it's on DVD and available free of charge at a local library, there is really no good reason not to bother, imo.