Menu

Quick Poll - which spelling program?

Linda (Australia)

After recommendations from this board, I ordered the first two levels of All About Spelling yesterday. I haven't used it yet (obviously) but I was impressed by what I saw on the website and by so many people singing its praises.

Did you order all the tiles and cards?

Or can you do it without them?

It looks like you need alot of stuff.

All About Spelling

You need the tiles and the cards. The first purchase is a bit expensive because you have to get so much. After that it is pretty reasonable for what you are getting.

I spent $127.55 (inc priority shipping) to get both levels 1 and 2, plus an extra student packet for each level. I also got 2 sets of tiles/2 sets of magnets. $30/kid per level didn't seem that bad, so I went ahead with it.

Wow...no one is using Sequential spelling? We're also finishing a spelling workout book...one lesson per week.

I use Sequential Spelling...and I like it well enough. The only issue I have is I have to read the lists every day...AND I need to know the phonics rules to teach...BUT my dd is doing very well with SS.

~~Faithe

I'm using AAS with my 2 oldest, and it's working so well!

I only purchased one set of tiles and cards, and I haven't felt the need for more than this. These are the the 1st 2 of 5 kids (and counting), so it's not expensive for us. If I counted $15 for each dc to have a new SWO workbook each year, that would be much more expensive!

1. Megawords (gr. 4-5+)

2. Made own spelling program, using "ABCs & All Their Tricks", with some words from Natural Speller lists.

3. Spelling practice using modified ideas from:

- Sequential Spelling

(working with words on whiteboard, with root and adding prefixes, suffixes, endings, additional syllables)

- Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual

(visual way of presenting vowel patterns)

(visual pictures with a little "story" to help differentiate between homophones)

(dictation of short sentences to practice spelling words while writing)

- Andrew Pudewa lecture on Spelling and the Brain,

coupled with "Toss It" from Carol Barnier's book How to Get Your Kid Off the Refrigerator & onto Learning

(out loud spelling practice back and forth)

- Paula's Archives Spelling Power tips

(make a sentence of all the ways long a (or other vowel sound) can be spelled for child to have a visual reference for determining correct spelling)

- dyslexia tactile practice methods from various sources

(use fingertip and write each letter in a tray of cornmeal or fine sand)

(use fingertip and write each letter BIG on table top)

("trace/erase" = write/say each letter on white board; then go over each letter with fingertip and erase/say each letter)

(roll clay into snakes and use to form each letter)

I have all the rules in my brain from teaching phonics for 15 years and poring over "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" (and the 1,700 page study it was based on--the Hanna study of the most common 17,000 words at the time).

So, I teach spelling on my own.

I have some free and cheap favorites that I think look good based on my spelling knowledge, but haven't used them with actual children (Several actual children have, however, used my online phonics lessons and spelling lessons and found them helpful. Also some virtual adults and children have e-mailed/commented online that they were helpful):

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

Edited by ElizabethB